User Tag List

Thread: Dynasty of the Decade

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynasty of the Decade

Dynasties traditionally have a longer tail but, seeing as dominance of 15-or-so years is harder to come by, I figured we'd look at the teams that took up similar mantles. No poll for this one as it covers my arse when I inevitably forget one.

Juventus (2011-Present)
    • 8 consecutive league titles
    • 4 consecutive Coppa Italias (2015-18)
    • Undefeated in Serie A (2011-12)
    • Record Serie A points tally (2013-14)
    • 2 Champions League finals

Real Madrid (2013-Present)
    • 4 Champions' League titles - three consecutively (2015-18)
    • 3 Club World Cups
    • 1 La Liga
    • 2 Copa del Rey titles

Barcelona (2004-Present)
    • 6 La Liga titles
    • 2 Champions' League titles
    • 5 Copa del Rey titles
    • 2 Club World Cups

Bayern Munich (1971 to Present)
    • 8 Bundesliga titles
    • 5 DfB Pokal titles
    • 1 Champions' League
    • 1 Club World Cup

Paris Saint-Germain (2012 - Present)
    • 6 Ligue 1 Titles
    • 5 Coupe de France titles
    • 5 Coupe de la Ligue titles

Manchester City (2011 - Present)
    • 4 Premier League titles
    • 2 FA Cups
    • 4 League Cups

Glasgow Celtic (2011- Present)
    • 8 Scottish Premier League titles
    • 5 Scottish Cups
    • 5 Scottish League Cups

River Plate (2014 - Present)
    • 2014 Argentine League Champions
    • 3 Copa Argentina titles
    • 2 Copa Libertadores titles
    • 1 Copa Sudamericana

Al Ahly (2004 - Present)
    • 7 Egyptian Premier Leagues
    • 1 Egyptian Cup
    • 2 African Champions' Leagues

I might actually stop there.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glasgow Celtic.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barcelona, domestic and continental dominance.

They've had 10 titles in the time frame since 2004, 6 this decade, is it 4 European cups in the same period? Did they ever get Lewis' feted 3 in 5? By far and away the best team of the decade, and maybe the one before.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real Madrid's 4 Champions Leagues surely. Even if they weren't even a very good football team.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barcelona have underachieved in Europe this decade, but then Real Madrid have been crap domestically. The Egyptian lads have it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disappointed at the lack of mention of BATE Borisov's fourteen consecutive league titles.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kind of fascinating to see how Barca have simmered a little. It's allowed the likes of Juventus to challenge, Real to get the better of them (until Ronaldo left) and even Bayern sneaked a one. I totally forgot about that. I was thinking about international sides but even that's become a more level playing field. Spain aren't invincible, Germany haven't really stepped into that spot.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Juventus (2011-Present)

• 8 consecutive league titles
    • 4 consecutive Coppa Italias (2015-18)
    • Undefeated in Serie A (2011-12)
    • Record Serie A points tally (2013-14)
    • 2 Champions League finals

I think it's often forgotten that Juventus got relegated due to the scandal and although a few remained on the books they did lose some quality players as a result so to have gone from that to claiming what they have done is more impressive than it may seem on paper. I think the blot against them is that there is no real serious challenges in Italy except Napoli and perhaps the losing both Champions League finals diminishes their achievement somewhat.

Real Madrid (2013-Present)

• 4 Champions' League titles - three consecutively (2015-18)
    • 3 Club World Cups
    • 1 La Liga
    • 2 Copa del Rey titles

You can't argue with their European exploits (even if the third in a row was assisted by Karius) but domestically they failed repeatedly to the better team in Spain. I'm of opinion their European successes were much more down to Ronaldo than Zidane too.

Barcelona (2004-Present)

• 6 La Liga titles
    • 2 Champions' League titles
    • 5 Copa del Rey titles
    • 2 Club World Cups

I expect them to win this hands down because they have been by far the best and if not for two huge shocks (4-0 defeat to us, the defeat to Roma) then I would have fancied them to add another two European Cups to that. Domestic success is your bread and butter and they've combined both whilst playing some wonderful football, also Messi. For me this is the team of the decade.

Bayern Munich (1971 to Present)

• 8 Bundesliga titles
    • 5 DfB Pokal titles
    • 1 Champions' League
    • 1 Club World Cup

I find it hard to find much to like about Bayern Munich as bar a small challenge for a few season by Klopp's Dortmund, they are pretty much a one team league. I reckon you could handicap them ten points a season and they would still win. It's difficult for any German club to challenge because they'll just come in and take their players so it belittles the achievements somewhat in my mind.

Paris Saint-Germain (2012 - Present)

• 6 Ligue 1 Titles
    • 5 Coupe de France titles
    • 5 Coupe de la Ligue titles

No. It's a soulless club which lacks the European pedigree and should be winning the league every season. I think the biggest shame for Ligue 1 is when Monaco won it in impressive fashion and then basically sold off every player who contributed. PSG's title wins mean nothing as a result. It's not hard to win when you're outlay dwarfs your opponents to the extent that it does. The lack of competition in Ligue 1 probably costs them in Europe too and if they do ever win the Champions League I feel it'll be down to individual brilliance from someone like Mbappe or that cunt Neymar (one of the decades biggest wasters may I add)

Manchester City (2011 - Present)

• 4 Premier League titles
    • 2 FA Cups
    • 4 League Cups

You can't dispute the manner in which they've won the league in the last two seasons but prior to that they made hard work of it, they were fortunate to win with Aguero's last gasp winner and fortunate to come on top of ourselves and Chelsea in Gerrard's slipping season and again for a team that has been invested so heavily, I would say they have only become a 'proper' giant since Pep's second season. The jury should still be out on them in all fairness. Repeated failures in Europe and a lack of competition domestically barring Liverpool last season. I would have loved to see a peak Man City trading blows with a peak Man United, a peak Chelsea and a peak Arsenal. My lord what challenge that would have been.

Glasgow Celtic (2011- Present)

• 8 Scottish Premier League titles
    • 5 Scottish Cups
    • 5 Scottish League Cups

Rodgers did it better than any others before him but ultimately with no challengers due to Ranger's being MIA for X amount of years means it's completely irrelevant. I think even if they won ten in a row it wouldn't be that impressive. I think in all that time they had one decent season in Europe and it speaks volumes that both them and Rangers have made a big song and dance about qualifying for the next round of the Europa. It's a team that shouldn't even be considered.

I can't comment on River Plate or the other as I've never seen either.

Therefore, Barcelona are my team of the decade.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Socrates, reborn

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol at Neymar being the biggest waster of the decade.

Given how large Paris is and PSG have it all to themselves, I would have thought that as France has always had great players. They should be miles ahead of the competition.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You disagree? He has an immense amount of talent but seems to have spent most of his career chasing £££, picking himself up off the floor and picking fights with team mates and former clubs. If he applied himself like Messi or Ronaldo and the like then he could have been phenomenal. Mbappe has surpassed him already for me and Neymar should hitting his absolute prime by now.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah totally. Criticizing him for being top 5 in the world is harsh. There will never be another Ronaldo or Messi for a long time. Everyone else is playing catchup. Mbappe is leading the race
    but Neymar is still right there.

I wouldn't call him a waster at all. Chasing the big cheques is what has got him to this level. When he wants another one, he can possibly come to prem league and he will do numbers. He has impact.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I get from Neymar is he needs to be in a team of great players to really thrive. He's not like a Ronaldo where he can push a team onward. Unfortunately, Brazil love to play him in that role. PSG should be doing better than they are in Europe but, like City, they just can't break through. Bayern's fallen into that trap as well, despite Lewandowski's mad numbers.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought the opposite, oddly. He was at his best in that awful Brazil side leading up to and culminating in the 2014 world cup. He loved to be the centre of attention, but invariably delivered and it really went to shit when you took him out of the side.

He's no more 'top 5 in the world' than half the Liverpool team though.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neymar gets a lot of criticism. Which I understand. A waster though? I can't agree. He is an excellent player. Barca have failed in Europe ever since he left the city.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neymar is a wasteman. But he's no binman. Immensely talented but throws it all away being a total cunt.

As for the OP... They're all boring as fuck.

Probably City for being the only team never to have had a previous spell of just about the same kind of success in their previous history.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the Liverpool players would be pretty average (for a top team) if they all played at different clubs, Van Dijk being the obvious exception. Neymar would be clearly the best player at any non-Barcelona club he went to. It’s not going to happen for him in Paris though.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not going to happen for him in Paris as in zero champions league success? If the answer is yes. Then it's calm. He will fall into the same bracket as Zlatan if he carries on globe-trotting.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s kinda worse than for Zlatan though - at least he was always THE star. Save for his brief sojourn to Spain. Mbappe makes Neymar look even more of a prick than he is, and is as, if not more impressive on the pitch.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, there is nothing wrong with being top 5. I know we want him to touch Ronaldo and Dinho levels. That isnt happening for now, but he still has time on his side. He has been injured a lot during the past few years though. Which does not look good on his CV .

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue he doesn’t even crop up in my mind when I think top 5. He should, but that I can reconcile why he doesn’t is indicative of what’s wrong about him.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real Madrid looking like they dominated Europe is really kind of nuts, considering there's maybe one or two seasons in the decade where you'd have said they had a better side than Barcelona. History's going to look a little misleading here.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How during the C.Ronaldo era, how he and R.Madrid only managed two league titles is complete madness.