Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1315

Thread: Football Manager 2020

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saidi's physicals

Anyone had a look at Tariq Lamptey on their saves? He is coming up on a free on mine with 20 Pace and Acceleration but his mental and technical stats are gash and the AI has not played him a single minute in the five seasons past so far. I didn't expect him to be amazing but he looked handier than some of the U23s I've watched who are doing alright in the game when he came on against Arsenal this season.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 9 Champions League, we made the knockouts for the third time and this time we were drawn against Liverpool. On the face of it an impossibility, but this season they are starting to look a bit old and tired, now under a 66 year old Rafa Benitez (Klopp having decamped for Leverkusen after three titles and another Champions League during his stay at Anfield).

We drew the first leg 1-1 at home, and then I believe this qualifies as a 'magical European night at Anfield':

Toggle Spoiler

They had a 95th minute equaliser chalked off by VAR, loved it. Bringing 'Everton' off the bench was an interesting twist as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made up for an unbeaten league campaign by starting my defence with a defeat away at 20th place Derby. You never lose the old magic

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suwon Bluewings & Brazil 2028/29 update:

League:

Pissed it. We ended up scoring a total of 122 goals and the bottom side let in 127.

FA Cup:

Simple.

Champions League:

The Beijing first leg was horrible but two very late goals (87th and 93rd minute) gave us hope and we saw them off in the second leg. This set up a final against Faisaly from Jordan:

We were pretty fucked in the first leg as we had a lot of injuries but my top youth prospect striker Kim Moon-Ki getting two goals helped a lot.

Transfers:

Spent a lot of cash throughout the year (I'd have done screenshots of each but I've left) and I did so weakening rivals.

Out:

Wasn't planning on letting Sung-Ho and Kyung-Woo leave but those massive offers couldn't be rejected and I had replacements in my squad anyway.

Squad stats:

107 combined between Joo-Ho and Phillips is fucking mental. I've never had a partnership like that, usually only one is effective at grabbing goals.

Brazil:

Nothing much to say. Media hated me for the squad selections for the final 4 games but we had qualified and I wanted to try some youth prospects who did great.

THE LIST:

Club competitions:

FIFA Club World Cup
    UEFA Champions League
    UEFA Conference League
    UEFA Super Cup
    African Champions League
    Copa Libertadores
    O-League (Oceanic Champions League)
    Asian Champions League
    North American Champions League

International competitions:

FIFA World Cup
    Olympics
    UEFA European Championship
    Nations Leaue
    African Cup of Nations
    Copa America
    Oceanic Nations Cup
    Asian Nations Cup
    North American Gold Cup

I'll be looking to Africa or Oceania next as I want to leave Europe last.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and this is the first time this has happened to a team of mine:

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your game is broken.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Football Manager, doesn't that go without saying?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle Jets time then.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Newcastle Jets time then.
    To win the Asian Champions League again?

Australia is part of Asia in terms of football.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping to go to New Zealand but all the clubs are listed as "Insecure" finances so I went to the Ivory Coast:

Squad:

Youth Prospect:

Key player:

League:

And I have my first match straight away against Mimosas.

Champions League:

I have a chance at winning this year so that's why I took the job.

£391k transfer budget and there is still £20k free in wages p/w.

Edit: That is not the Champions League (the team lost in the first round), it is the CAF Confederation Cup which is their version of the Europa League.
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 29-07-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fancied a new game.

Started out at Stanford Uni - might take it a bit of studying whilst I'm here.

Ranked 104th (of 208) in the country, I take over with the team sitting 9th in Group 11 of the NCAA D1 Soccer League. Top 3 qualify for Division I Championship 1st Round - however, only 1 round of games, so with only 4 games to go - very unlikely I'll qualify.
    However, the PAC-12 league starts next month and I plan to run riot.

Non-Conference D1 Group 11

PAC-12

The squad is all regens, with a few standouts including Mo Salah's cousin, Sherif Ibrahim, a pretty nippy right winger.

18yr old Eduardo Castro looks like he will be a bit of a weapon up top

Finally, Francisco Mejia has some decent determination and 5* potential.

Long term plan is to spend max 2 season here, then move to a club in the USL, then eventually onto the MLS.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting choice. Castro should destroy all in his path.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s a team called Drake?

Toggle Spoiler
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How restrictive is the league and can you actually "buy" players or do they limit you in terms of recruitment?

Obviously in real life they have to recruit people straight from high school so I wonder how FM manages it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do Duke have a team and does Mert play for them?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basketball's more his thing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    How restrictive is the league and can you actually "buy" players or do they limit you in terms of recruitment?

Obviously in real life they have to recruit people straight from high school so I wonder how FM manages it.
    Yeah I have absolutely no idea. Does it just randomly generate new players for you each year, and presumably the better you’re doing the better players you’d get.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Yeah I have absolutely no idea. Does it just randomly generate new players for you each year, and presumably the better you’re doing the better players you’d get.
    Surely they can't lock the transfer market for those certain leagues though. Unless there's some squad restrictions meaning you can technically buy anyone but can't use them or something.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when does FM have the NCAA?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, Jordan Morris got US caps while playing for Stanford a few years back

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post

So, I can bid for anyone under the age of 23. However, literally every other player in the league is not interested in joining me - so, so far I've been unable to poach any players from other Uni's. I can sign players U19, but they are not eligible until they turn 19. Which also means that my star striker, Eduardo Castro is a Freshman and currently unavailable. When are go to the player search and only search for interested players, there are only 7 guys 3 are too old, 2 are too young.

Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Since when does FM have the NCAA?
    Downloaded from Steam.

The First Game

First game in charge was a trip to UC Riverside to take on The Highlanders. I was over the moon to meet their captain, Bob Luna.

On to the game and 474 potheads, wasters, and Che Guevara t-shirt wearing Communists headed over to the west side of the campus to the UCR Soccer Stadium as the mighty Cardinals rolled into town.

Sat on the side of the pitch, it was during the pre-match pep talk that my Assistant Manager, Parah Salin, informed me that Freshman students were not eligible and had to be red-shirted. I stood confidently and loudly announced that Eduardo Castro (star striker), Marty Chan (our Mexican-Chinese BWM), Michael Johnstone (fat), Oswaldo Alverado (best full back), Antonio Garza (sub keeper), DeJuan Sterling (black), Usiel Nunez, Kyle Gomez and Lee Rooney should all get back on the bus (their subs will NOT be returned). It was after this announcement that I realised that I was essentially managing a Mexican U23 team.
    After the redshirters returned to the team bus (no, I was not allowing them to watch from the stands), I was left with a squad of 21 guys, with 2 suspensions and 2 injuries.
    The good news is that Michael Colon finally pulled his finger out of his arse and is now back to fitness, Parah Salin suggests that I only use him for 45 mins, a semi-Colon.

After sticking a left back at right back, a few wide midfielders in central midfield and a striker on the wing, we managed to name a largely Latinx XI, and got ready for battle.

Wonderlowski opened the scoring for The Highlanders with a 18 yard thunderbastard, leaving our keeper, Alex Jenning rooted to the spot - something that would quickly become apparent as a bit of a hobby of his. Following a terrible tackle by their defender, we equalised through a sweetly struck penalty from Mejia.

Despite the slow start, Stanford native, former Sabre CEO, and all around nice guy, Joe Bennett blasted a goal either side of halftime to give us an unexpected 1-3 lead. The Highlanders, sitting top of the NCAA D1 Soccer Group 11 table were stunned. 'Soul Patch', as Bennett is playfully known to his friends, relying on nothing more than his pace to terrorise the UCR defense.

UCR scored 3 in the final minutes to win 4-3
    Last edited by John Arne; 31-07-2020 at 05:24 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird couple of seasons at Oldham, first season in the Championship played brilliantly and finished just outside the play off spots. Following season I am given £700k to spend and despite doing what I think is decent business and probably a stronger squad than I had in the lost save we really struggle. Despite me loaning in Balogun and a Chelsea newgen called Tommy Robinson () for a second season after they were top scorer and rookie of the year respectively, the team in general stutters badly. Just finished 16th with a grade F rating but not sacked yet.

Considering axing half the squad and starting again.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

Ligue 1

I can't imagine for one second we'll keep up this level of performance. We didn't. With a roaring front three of Mbappe, Bailey & Dembele, PSG won the title with nine points to spare. Zidane was back on top. Toulouse finished second to ensure a seat at Europes premier table for a sixth consecutive season (legacy) and The Vikings were three points behind in third spot. With only one defeat to our name after the winter break we managed to keep Monaco, Lille & Strasbourg at arms length. Our inability to replicate our early season killer instinct resulted in 17 draws for the season, a record matching Dick Advocaat's Sunderland.

Coupe De France

A freak year all in all as the final four was made up of SM Caen, Bordeaux, RC Lens & Nantes. Having been pushed to extra time in the far reaching lands of New Caledonia in the previous round, we made no such make mistake in the semi, brushing past wine country to meet relegation threatened Lens. There was to be no upset in the final as a wondrous free kick from Oliver Ntcham crowned us champions. Alas

L'Europe

Intertwined with our domestic cup hunt was our European travels. First came Milan who we patted on the head with a 5-1 tanking. We would then return to Italy this time to face a forward heavy Fiorentina. A 1-0 win in Normandy was followed up by a five goal thriller in Florence as we edged the night 3-2. The quarter final stage threw up an unknown in the form of Shakhtar who as ever possessed a host of Brazilian talents both young and old. In the face of anti-football the flair was impotent and we progressed 4-1 on aggregate. Onto the semi final and shit got serious as we drew Frank de Boer's Chelsea, a side featuring Zaniolo, de light and David "100 caps" Brooks. We lost at the Bridge 1-0, but it should have been more. The narrow victory would come back to haunt Chelski as a wondrous brace from Reine-Adelaide in France was enough to advance to the final. Awaiting in Lisbon were the Kings of the of second tier European competition, Sevilla. The Spanish were better than us man for man, but we got off to a flyer with Moriba putting us in front inside six minutes. Fearing that we had scored too soon they inevitably equalised before the half time whistle. The second half & extra time passed without incident and it was down to penalties. In what was his last game for the club, Brice Samba became the hero of the hour saving twice from the spot. Martial, Ntcham, Pepe & Kouassi all netted and the double was achieved. Superbe!

After the celebrations died down captain Guilbert decided to hang up his boots. Following him through the exit door was Adama Traore who fancied one last adventure in Turkey with Besiktas. Within the next year Lemar, Martial, Allan Saint-Maximin, Moussa Dembele, Tousart, & Ntcham would all finish their careers. Having led them to glory, I decided not to lead them over the cliff and duly resigned after six season with the club. As with Toulouse I'm confident the youth recruitment will see them maintain a decent level and not self implode. Amine Gouiri was signed from Lyon as a leaving present.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any plans on where your going next Manc?

Great read so far.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Staying in France is a must. Toulouse never gave me the opportunity to push on for the league and Caen never really stood a chance. Mbappe (31) looks to be on the decline so the league should open up nicely in the coming seasons.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    San Pedro & Brazil Update 2029/30:

League:

When I came in we were 7th and 12 points behind the leaders and I realised very quickly that every team bar Mimosas are shit.

Continental:

We were lucky to get to the final as our second leg exploits against Sifax and the Leopards were shocking. Shame we put up such little fight in the final though.

Cup:

Nice to win but whatever.

Squad:

I was going to have a complete overhaul of the squad but I've left. They accepted a crap offer for one of only 2 good players (Ouattara) so I fucked them off.

I decided to stay in Africa though and have gone to Egypt to the mighty Pyramids FC (inventive name, lads).

Here is the squad:

Our youth prospect:

Key player:

The squad has some pretty damn good youth prospects which is nice. We also have a mouth watering £31.4m transfer budget and there is still £126k p/w left in the wage budget.

Brazil:

World Cup time and I thought we had a good shot at winning it:

Unfortunately we completely wilted against Italy (who ended up beating fucking Denmark in the final). Both of the goals were due to mistakes from the veteran Eder Militao. The good news though is the emergence of this youth prospect:

He scored hattricks against Saudi Arabia and Spain (he only came on after 65 minutes), scored the third most goals, was named the third best player and won the best young player award.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly he looks crap from his attributes
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His attributes are very similar to my boy Mazzonetto. Six yard box legend.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poacher?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Honestly he looks crap from his attributes
    I'm finding on this version that physical attributes are MASSIVE.

Based on his whole kit he's probably the 8th best striker in my national pool (lower if I include all the 30+ year olds) but he seems to be one of my most effective.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's got most of the attributes you'd need to be a Vardy-like forward. Rapid, good anticipation, finishing and composure.

Could do with some mentoring to help bring up his determination and he'll peak early - players with low Natural Fitness and loads of pace tend to tail off in their early 30s

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't notice when I accepted my role at Pyramids that they wanted me to sign Brazilian players. I didn't think it would be a problem because when I was Irish/Toronto manager loads of Irish players wanted to come.

That is not the case in Egypt.

Bought a few players and then the board started blocking non-Brazilian transfers so I ended up signing 10 crap Brazilians on a free.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the old classic of getting them in the national set up and sell them on.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve bought FM20.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Do the old classic of getting them in the national set up and sell them on.
    I can't imagine anyone would want them. Most of them have single digit attributes as I just wanted the cheapest crap available.

They'll be released as soon as the window SLAMS SHUT.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oldham reloaded 26/27 season and it was a torrid time. Form was in the toilet for the majority, resulting in me binning my preferred system of a 4231 wing play which had done me so well up to this point and instead deciding to go for it with a slightly mental 3241 overload system. This had mixed results but was still better than my previous efforts, and having had to take over individual training myself and giving everyone role retraining rather than accommodating their best roles (I had a suspicion this was becoming counterproductive) by the end of the season we actually looked like a top team, albeit one that finished 16th.

I have got a mad summer on my hands now as I have a million players incoming and am unsure how I am going to shift some of my existing ones. I think I will stick with the system but it means my two youth prospect CMs I have been developing the whole save and are now worth decent cash need to be sacrificed for it. That's probably a win but I am too sentimental.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three at the back is King

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking on the previous dickheads

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my hands on a laptop that whilst not great will run the game reasonably, for the excellent price of free. Downloading all the graphics mega packs now, not sure what the best skin is these days.

Also on a facebook page I saw some cryptic suggestion that those premium regen faces can actually be automatically allocated by the game rather than manually assigned, not sure how true that is though.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be interested to know, if so.

Does anyon here know how the Brazilian league system works, so I don’t get any nasty surprises?

I’ve signed Thiago Silva on a free.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went and checked on Suwon Bluewings and spotted who they got to replace:

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2030/31 finished!

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brazil is rough. Every team seems to have a token superstar - Pato, Dani Alves, Gabriel Barbosa - and I’m stuck with a 35 year old Adebayor up front twice a week, every week.

Also decided early doors i was playing 442 with a target man, because itd be funny, but struggling as the players don’t really fit. Resulted in me having a few dispensable high value players - presumably really good attacking mids that real Corinthians fans wouldn’t dare sell - but selling them is proving difficult!

Had two £8.5m bids accepted for a centre mid and a centre back (even though i desperately need a right and left mid, one of whom that plays regularly is 45 years old ) so trying to offload as many as possible to try and scrounge together an extra 7m, on top of my existing £10m.

I also sold Cassio, which left the whole country legit shook considering he’s been their number one keeper since forever, but it was a good way to stamp my ‘nobody is safe’ authority. Well, except Adebayor and Thiago Silva. Those boys are lifers! Got Adebayor on his coaching badges now too.

Also got Peter Crouch as an U20 coach to try and reproduce Alan Shearer somehow.
    I'm a twit

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ayr United - Season 2061/62

Following surviving our first season in the Scottish Premier, this season was to build on that and achieve a top half finish. In the end we out performed our expectation, but still finished the season disappointed.

Having been sat 2nd for the majority of the season behind a dominant Hearts (who'd go on to do the double and just miss out on a domestic treble) our form seemed to implode in the latter part of the season which meant we were in 3rd place with one match to play. We were playing 6th place Dundee and 2nd place Kilmarnock were playing the mighty Hearts. I was confident that Hearts would help me out, which meant we just had to win to secure 2nd place. I should add that 1st and 2nd get champions league qualification. 3rd and 4th are Europa.

The league with 1 game to go.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crouchinho abroad, the samba bantz.

It's interesting seeing how this parallel dimension save has worked out now I am catching up to my lost save. I haven't made it to the PL yet which I think I had by now in the lost save and had started as a yo-yo club but feel like I actually have a better base going on. Progress was likely slowed down by my mega tactic change and the fact it has taken three busy windows to get the personnel in who both fit the system and start gelling with each other. So far it's november and I'm 3rd in the championship.

I sold an amazing striker I got from Napoli on a free (he was stinking it up on loan at Cardiff) two seasons ago, he had never performed as well as his attributes suggested so when CSKA offered me a structured deal worth £18m I bit their hand off. This was outside the UK window so he left immediately but I am waiting on my 21 year old £17m (club record!) Signing to arrive from Norwich, his stats arent mindblowing but they are all decent and he is a natural complete forward which is what I need. Having shifted a load of strikers around then selling the 'best' one prior to this I forgot to stop my new number 1 striker from playing in reserve matches and now he is out for 7 weeks with a broken toe from said reserve match. Still we have scored 13 goals in the last three matches without him so hopefully his absence just gives a load of minutes to his teenage understudy then gives some time for the new boy come January.

The main problem I have had (aside from the oft maligned small database) is that the system works, I know it works, but anyone who is a good attacking wing back, advanced playmaker or complete forward is too good to be interested in a move. My scouts even thought my new star striker wouldn't be interested so it was a pleasant surprise when the contract went smoothly.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my best player (Fagner, right back) cos I couldn’t turn down £20m for a 30 year old. Wolfsburg got £10M of it.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celtic down in 7th is lovely to see.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still having to play league and cup games during the AFCON...

Lads, we're one of the top leagues in Africa call it off for a couple of weeks ffs.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have 12 players available to me across my first, reserve and u19 squads. Lol.

They wont even give me greys to fill out the bench.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crushed almost all comers in the league since my last post, got the sharp end of the season and had a couple of injuries and saw my form stutter a little, ended up finishing 1 point short of automatic promotion.

Play off finals, winning 2-1 then my DM gets sent off in the 87th minute, 2-2 FT. 3-3 AET. Lose 5-4 on penalties