User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarianism/veganism

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least there's room for a whole thumbprint.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's 1 genuflection for the day anyway.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a vegan and all that. This is all because we are hoping to find the best solution to cheat death?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Being a vegan and all that. This is all because we are hoping to find the best solution to cheat death?
    It's just so others can feel that they're better than the rest of us.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Beans, chickpeas, lentils etc. are meant to be good protein sources right?

Where do you stand on honey out of interest?
    'Good' protein sources to some dainty little lad are different to mine. The amount of times I've picked up a packet that says "high in protein" and it only has about 5g per 100g is ridiculous. I don't consider beans a good source of protein.

I'm not a fan of honey, so I don't have to take a stance.
    It probably depends, though. On what, I don't know yet. Avocados are supposedly troublesome too. There's a lot to read up on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    If your ethical framework is basically "minimize suffering," and because of that you are looking into veganism, wouldn't you be much more effective by donating a few bucks to a charity that provides malaria nets or whatever every time you eat a burger instead of going for the chickpeas? By not having to eat tofu you are also minimizing your own suffering, so it is a win-win situation.
    I guess it depends on whether you trust the charity. I probably wouldn't. As I've gotten older I've realised the best way to help people is to change yourself and lead the way. I'm not saying this is the right choice, but it feels like it might be so I'm giving it a shot. There's a lot of research to be done before I'll be confident it's the right choice, but at the very least I'll learn along the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    At least until pets are deemed immoral too, then we will secede some land to them.
    They already are by some, but killing all dogs isn't really an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    A load of vegan places in Glasgow use jackfruit as a meat substitute, and while it does taste pretty banging, I struggle to see how it's less ethically objectionable than eating a chicken from down the road, given jackfruit has to be flown over in tins from South east Asia.

I'm mostly vegetarian, I don't really see the point in completely absolutely abstaining (lol at parmesan deniers), mostly because basically all food will have caused harm to something at some point.
    This is true. At the moment I'm thinking I'll just eat animals I don't like, so I've basically gone pescatarian as there's nothing in the sea that isn't either proper crap or a total bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Veganism baffles me, why constrain your life with needless rules? I can see why people (including me) eat less meat than they might have done 30 years ago, as there is far more non-meat food available that isn't complete shit.
    I've been thinking about it more and more to the point where its ruining my enjoyment of meat. It may be because of living in Brighton, hanging out with vegans or religiously going to Glastonbury but here we are.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The high protein market is a belting racket. I saw some protein chocolate spread the other day in Asda. It's chocolate spread, but six quid owing to the fact it has twenty grams of protein per hundred grams. That is a pretty good ratio. Except it's still chocolate spread, so those hundred grams are six-hundred calories. Plus you would have to assume that somebody protein-conscious enough to buy chocolate spread with it in would be getting adequate supplies from elsewhere, so what's the point? Peanut butter mate.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, it's stupid. Protein per calories is a much better way of looking at it. I'm intrigued to see if I'll lose weight or not. It might help me cut down on shit food, but I reckon it might go the other way due to higher carb intake and less fats.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get that weird skinny-fat build that a lot of them seem to have.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I've been thinking about it more and more to the point where its ruining my enjoyment of meat. It may be because of living in Brighton, hanging out with vegans or religiously going to Glastonbury but here we are.
    Fair enough. Pasta is alright an' all but I can't really live off it. Absence might make the heart grow fonder, to be honest. Like a 3am kebab that'll remind you what you've missed.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The high protein market is a belting racket. I saw some protein chocolate spread the other day in Asda. It's chocolate spread, but six quid owing to the fact it has twenty grams of protein per hundred grams. That is a pretty good ratio. Except it's still chocolate spread, so those hundred grams are six-hundred calories. Plus you would have to assume that somebody protein-conscious enough to buy chocolate spread with it in would be getting adequate supplies from elsewhere, so what's the point? Peanut butter mate.
    Aye. I'm sure I saw one of those 'how not to throw all of your money into a flaming firepit like a fucking idiot' programmes where the teenage son was insistent on having some high protein milk at x times the cost of normal milk and the upshot was it was of absolutely no benefit to him.

Why are people obsessed with protein?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For most people going about their day there is the idea that it fills you up more. But then as Offshore said you see shit like packets of beef jerky going for two quid that, because of how small they are, have about ten grams of it in, which won't have any effect either way.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As annoying as vegetarians and vegans are, you've got to cater for them and some of it isn't all too bad. I've recently started drinking Soya Milk instead of full fat for example. I'm even at the point of wondering why I haven't had it sooner, it's lovely and so much better. A good source of protein, no cholesterol and it's low in fat.

I personally don't give a shit about animals that aren't my 'pets' as I know where we are on the food chain but equally, if something tastes better and is better for me nutritionally than the norm then I shall go with the alternative.

Diets are overrated. You eat whatever you want so long as you do so in moderation and you get some form of exercise.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    'Good' protein sources to some dainty little lad are different to mine. The amount of times I've picked up a packet that says "high in protein" and it only has about 5g per 100g is ridiculous. I don't consider beans a good source of protein.
    I use this* stuff made out of dark soy beans as a substitute for mince in quite a few dishes (you can make a decent pasta bolognese with it) and it’s packed with protein(53%).

*https://vegesun.com/en/tuotteet/dark-soybeans/

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For most people going about their day there is the idea that it fills you up more. But then as Offshore said you see shit like packets of beef jerky going for two quid that, because of how small they are, have about ten grams of it in, which won't have any effect either way.
    Fewling full shouldn't really be an issue if you're following a vegan diet as you're more than likely going to be getting a load more volume.

I quite often make vegan meals and I'm never hungry after

Obviously it could become an issue with training especially if you're already used to 30%+ of your diet being protein.

Without knowing specifics I'd assume a normal vegan diet with a couple of protein shakes a day would be fine training wise.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-09-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely a recovery issue for me. I'm a big guy (118.5kg on last weigh-in) that goes to the gym, for a cycle/run and decent mooch the majority of days. I've got a lot of energy that I need to shake off in order to not be up till 4am.
    You'll get that weird skinny-fat build that a lot of them seem to have.
    I'll switch back before that starts to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    I use this* stuff made out of dark soy beans as a substitute for mince in quite a few dishes (you can make a decent pasta bolognese with it) and it’s packed with protein(53%).

*https://vegesun.com/en/tuotteet/dark-soybeans/
    Thanks, I'll take a look.
    Last edited by Offshore Toon; 03-09-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, that's 40kg more than me. I eat a fair bit if protein and struggle at my size.

I know there are a few prominent Vegan YouTube bodybuilders who post a fair few recipes, meal ideas, what they eat in a day etc.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty out there for those looking to build or maintain a big build whilst vegan. Some prominent IGers and Youtubeers, but I’d stick to those that are 40+ and been doing it for years - a lot of the young lads expect to just sub in tofu for chicken and end up sick as a dog off the back of not balancing things well and changing diet so aggressively whilst continuing their regimes otherwise. Not that I’m one for it - I’m twig like aside from the beer belly as even when I was actively working out 3 times a week I never had the discipline nor natural ability to build (nor inclination in honesty, happiest at 76kg on a 189cm frame).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also @Offshore Toon that mince that Pen points to is the same as what’s sold in Holland and Barrett. Big old bag for 3.50, very protein dense so fills you up a treat. Bit tasteless without going in a decent sauce or cooking up with stock, mind. Also, gotta get cooking seitan. Ludicrously cheap and high protein per cal, but I stick to twice a week at most as any more and my shits turn into the kind that only a double hopped IPA of the particularly wicked kind would normally produce in me. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/seitan#gut

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually wondering where I'd be able to get seitan. I'll check out H&B and some YouTube vids then. Cheers, boys.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s pricey in the shops, for what it is. A pack of vital wheat gluten in H&B is about 2 quid and would the main part of three or four batches of 4 portions of Seitan each. The recipe I like is Gaz Oakleys (aka Avante Garde Vegan) which also calls for gram flour (cheap or sub in soya flour from H&B for more protein and again cheap for the volumes as one bag of that does me for months) and tofu (cheap), takes a good 20 mins prep and 40 mins on the stove but you can make shitloads at a time and it keeps well.