User Tag List

Thread: Hollow Knight

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hollow Knight

So I finally got that new computer I've always threatened to get, and I decided to pick up Hollow Knight, being as I like Metroidvanias.

I've been absolutely blown away. I'm about 20 hours in, and I think I've explored most of the map/beaten almost all of the non-story bosses. I've been putting off the main plot in favour of exploration (as I tend to do in Metroidvanias). I'm going to do a final sweep of the map to avoid leaving things behind, and then I'm going to start pushing the plot forwards in earnest.

It's an absolutely gorgeous game. It started kind of slow - the smartest thing to do is track down the dash and the wall jump as quickly as possible, which opens up a huge section of the map. The double jump comes later, but it's more of a convenience than anything else. I really like the charm system, which seems super-customizable. Overall, it's a 9/10 at least.

What's funny is that I remember the dumb flash game that the character originally appeared in (Hungry Knight). The fact that it was the same character initially put me off, but that was stupid and I was stupid.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother has been banging on about this as he does now and again with the latest great Indy style platformers.

It dawned on me this morning that while the Xbox controller is great for everything else it’s shit for platform games.

Give me a SNES controller and I’d be all over this.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidentally I bought two USB SNES pads for about a tenner just last week. They feel super cheap and probably won't last but they're already far better for some stuff than modern controllers.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they work with consoles Disco?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have anything to test them on I'm afraid, I use them on my PC for emulators etc.

It's these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but I warn you though they are exactly what you'd expect for a fiver each.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've been playing it on the PC. Some of the platforming is tricky, so if the controller is unfriendly, I wouldn't put yourself through that.

I reckon I'm now getting pretty close to the end. I haven't started going ghostbuster yet, but I've fully upgraded my weapon and beaten almost all the regular bosses. The only ones I haven't taken care of are the ones in and around the hive. I spent this evening clearing up the ones I'd skipped (Angry Crystal Dude, Collector), and finishing the second challenge so I could fully upgrade the nail.

Now I reckon I'm ready to finish cleaning up and power on through the game.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Yeah, I've been playing it on the PC. Some of the platforming is tricky, so if the controller is unfriendly, I wouldn't put yourself through that.
    This is where I've got to with platformers on consoles.

I used to be the absolute nuts at them when I was a kid (pissed through the lost levels, for example) and I'm hopeless these days. Now no doubt part of that is getting old, but I'm putting a large portion of the blame on the modern console controllers, which are just so ill suited.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to lament not having a snes controller for everything but then I got a snes mini and realised they're actually shite. I like the idea of a platformer though (is it 2D?), can you play it with the keyboard?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite like the Xbox PC controller. I've used it for platformy stuff like Super Meat Boy, Sonic Mania and Owlboy no bother.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using my Dual Shock 4.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bosses get really tough towards the end. By the end, I was looking up strategies before I even attempted them, and even then there were a few who took several sittings.

I sort of want to get the true ending, but I just don't think I have time in my life anymore for bosses who take hours to get past. I need to knock off at least one Dream Boss to get the awakened nail, and I can't even put a dent in them. I don't even care about the "true" final boss - I just want to play the platform sequence in the white castle.

EDIT: Scratch that. I went back to the dream boss I found the last painful and finally got the bastard (after watching a how-to youtube video). The castle is some enjoyably challenging platforming that I'm enjoying. Might not bother with the real final boss though.