User Tag List

Thread: Getting stuff off the old board

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting stuff off the old board

Is it still possible? Specifically I'm after stuff from the old music thread, the link to which is this. Archive.org only has a couple of pages of it that I can see.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it. @ItalAussie is the best person to ask, as he has Mark's contact details. But I imagine the server (and the data) is long gone.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gutted. Some of the stuff is now sufficiently distant in memory that I'd really love to go back and read it. It's like a different person, except it's me.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, same. When we launched the new board I wanted to get access so we could import the old posts and users, but it was a no go.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even browsing what you can get at via Archive is a bit of a trip. So many threads, so many posters. It's not just the same 15 people replying to each other about the same stuff, week in, week out.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good old days.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really just want my end of the year album lists from the first half of the decade. I thought stuff on the internet was meant to be there forever ffs.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I think back about that old music thread, it was just immense. It wasn't unusual for it to shift through several pages a day. It was a genuine go-to resource for new recommendations at the time, too. British Sea Power, for example, are always a band that I associate with getting into through the TTH music thread. We all seemed to like them.

There were certain people whose recommendations I would take very seriously too. I remember thinking Fandan had great taste in music at the time. Baz got me into Elliott Smith. Shinners and James seemed to always post stuff that was obscure and fascinating to me. Elth and SG were just very respected "elder statesmen" types, even through they probably where only in their early twenties at the time. JG was the dark horse. He would pop up like two or three times a year with a list of stuff I'd never heard of and it was always (mostly) great. Then he would just fuck off again for months.

Good times indeed.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I'm currently sat outside playing CM0102 on the laptop and Aston Villa got promoted second season (latest update) but after 14 games in the Premier League remain winless. I fancied some of that so I created Stan Collymore and took over them. Wading through the reserves on the first day to see promote/sell/loan etc and I stumble across Rushian Hepburn-Murphy.

Hepburn? Where do I know that name, I asked myself. Then I twigged. I was playing CM0102 and the connection was obvious. **** Hepburn. I don't remember his username, I don't even remember if he was from off here although given it was CM0102 I imagine so. We used to speak on MSN many years back and play on network games a lot until one day I loaded up MSN and his side message was about him passing away and a contact number. I remember calling the number and speaking to someone and it was all true. He'd passed away after drinking too much on a night out. I'd forgotten about ****. I searched his name and it turns out it was as far back as 2008. Weird feeling given I never met the guy, we just played games and chatted shit. There's a picture on the article of a group of men and I focus on one despite never seeing his face.

RIP Hep.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why was mark so awkward?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    You know, I'm currently sat outside playing CM0102 on the laptop and Aston Villa got promoted second season (latest update) but after 14 games in the Premier League remain winless. I fancied some of that so I created Stan Collymore and took over them. Wading through the reserves on the first day to see promote/sell/loan etc and I stumble across Rushian Hepburn-Murphy.

Hepburn? Where do I know that name, I asked myself. Then I twigged. I was playing CM0102 and the connection was obvious. **** Hepburn. I don't remember his username, I don't even remember if he was from off here although given it was CM0102 I imagine so. We used to speak on MSN many years back and play on network games a lot until one day I loaded up MSN and his side message was about him passing away and a contact number. I remember calling the number and speaking to someone and it was all true. He'd passed away after drinking too much on a night out. I'd forgotten about ****. I searched his name and it turns out it was as far back as 2008. Weird feeling given I never met the guy, we just played games and chatted shit. There's a picture on the article of a group of men and I focus on one despite never seeing his face.

RIP Hep.
    There was a guy I used to play Counter-Strike with back in the early 2000s. We were in the same clan, and spent pretty much every evening playing together and chatting on Ventrilio. I genuinely felt like he was my best friend at the time, even though we'd only met 2 or 3 times. One day he just didn't come online - and hasn't since. No idea if he's dead or what. He had a really common name (think John Smith) so searching for it brought nothing up, and this was before the days of Facebook. I still wonder what happened to him.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, Nifty and Bwortang could never finish our network game due to it constantly crashing. Probably my problem as the host, like.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always suspicious of those who insisted on hosting until I did it myself then noticed the difference in speed.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    I doubt it. @ItalAussie is the best person to ask, as he has Mark's contact details. But I imagine the server (and the data) is long gone.
    I've tried to get in touch with him once or twice, but to no avail. I'd love to dig up the archived stuff.

You can try the Wayback Machine if you know what you're looking for. DS pulled up some interesting stuff once.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evidently someone else did too if you weren't in the Early Access group. How times changed.