User Tag List

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought 'Trusted Mole' for £2 delivered. I wanted a book on the Yugoslavian war but there was some quite intense reading. Not sure if I'd have the stomach for it. So I bought this instead, which seems more exciting than thousands of pages of political stuff.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TA Today

You'd like this one, Magic. It's about Psychotherapy and shit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the Seymour I was reading (it was typically pretty good) and am now onto Half the World by Joe Abercrombie. It's easy reading (aimed at young adults, I believe) but it's off to a great start. I'll definitely be trying some of his other stuff once I'm done with this trilogy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently slogging through Tell it To The World, which is about the Serbs covering up their genocide during Kosovo. It's really interesting, but the problem is it's from the view of one of the lawyers during the trials, and there's a lot of lawyer talk which is a little dull and quite hard to read. The accounts from the testifying survivors are fucking horrific though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to read some Malazan love in this thread. They are for me the best books I've read. I'd describe the scope and scale of the Malazan world to ASOIAF as ASOIAF is to the hungry caterpillar.

I'm interested in how you get on with Half a world Ian. I've read and like Abercrombie's other books but was put off by the young adult tag.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half a King was a bit lightweight overall but very enjoyable and you'll whizz through it in no time so I'd say get a cheapo paperback version, give it a bash and then decide from there if you want to go on to Half a World and Half a War.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain.

This is a very short book that was published posthumously by Twain's daughter, never released during his lifetime because of its controversial contents. It consists of a series of satirical letters by an angel exiled on earth, describing his opinions on the Christian religion. The biblical tales are related, along with an astonished and angry commentary at their inconsistent, illogical nature and the depravity of the "God" that they describe. It's amusing, if nothing particularly new in to an age where Dawkins and Hitchens are widely read.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven

The sequel to The Mote in Gods Eye, which I read a couple of months back. The story picks up about 30 years later and again concerns the relationship between The Empire of Man and the Motie civilisation. A couple of the more minor characters are fleshed out and prove to be really interesting. Overall it's serviceable but it lacks the plot twists and the suspense of the first in the series.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Half the World feels more like Abercrombie was trying to shoehorn YOUNG ADULT stuff in than the previous one, but it's still a good read.

I've got another of his up next but it's the first of his The First Law books. Be interesting to see how different it is. Then that'll see me through 'til Christmas.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really enjoying Kane and Abel thus far, I have to say. Any Jeffrey Archer fans here?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was unexpected.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? That I would read something written by a former Tory MP?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer for the BFG and my niece starting on Matilda, her first Dahl book, has had me thinking about what my favourites of his are.

I reckon it'd be two obvious ones of the childrens ones, Matilda along with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Some of the short story collections are also really good though (Skin, The Landlady, Dip in the Pool, Man from the South, Taste and The Umbrella Man being a handful I can remember the names of) and I like both Boy and Going Solo too, if only as a (probably skewed) view into a different time.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It's decent but it doesn't seem as great as it's cracked up to be.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The trailer for the BFG and my niece starting on Matilda, her first Dahl book, has had me thinking about what my favourites of his are.

I reckon it'd be two obvious ones of the childrens ones, Matilda along with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Some of the short story collections are also really good though (Skin, The Landlady, Dip in the Pool, Man from the South, Taste and The Umbrella Man being a handful I can remember the names of) and I like both Boy and Going Solo too, if only as a (probably skewed) view into a different time.
    We've just started on James and the Giant Peach. I didn't really like that one. I distinctly remember Fantastic Mr Fox being my favourite as a child.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dahl's children's books are works of utter genius. They'll still be read in 100 years' time.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Boy for the first time as an adult, and thought it was awesome.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was on the old board where I said I was reading all of his to my daughter. Matilda was a little disappointing as not a lot happened and from memory I think the film added a lot more.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The film was great as well, unlike the Fantastic Mr Fox film which I reckon should genuinely be censored so as not to ruin the book's good name.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although more I think about it the book was still genuinely brilliant for a children's book, I guess it just surprised me that a lot of stuff wasn't there.

Fantastic Mr Fox and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were both great too. James and the Giant Peach seemed to go on too long but I was reading it at a time when my daughter wouldn't last through more than a few pages each night.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James and the Giant Peach wasnt ever one I was keen on.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its probably the most suitable for a three year old I reckon.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only one I can remember reading was Danny the Champion of the World. It was good.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell. He's been shitting on Plato since page one, it's pretty funny.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No god but God: The Origins, Evolution & Future of Islam by Reza Aslan

Islam is the source of much discussion these days but I find that few of us actually know much about it. Reza Aslan is a moderate Muslim of Iranian descent living in America, and this is his effort to represent the religion and its history to western readers in a positive way. As such, this presumes little knowledge and emphasises the progressive aspects of Islam, including egalitarianism, pluralism and pacifism whilst decrying the extremists who he believes have perverted it, explaining the historical evolution and the the contingencies that have led to the present situation. I'm sure that a lot of this could be disputed but it at the very least presents an alternative view that one can counterpose to the overwhelming negativity that one tends to find in western media.
    One point that I must take issue with is that while the historical narrative presented appears to be fairly reliable, Aslan's own personal belief stated in his opening (paraphrased) that religious "truth" intersects with but is not identical to historical truth sounds like relativist mumbo-jumbo to me. Still, you can't have everything, and if that kind of cognitive dissonance is how he reconciles his religious practice with his scholarly work, then so be it - there is limited impact on the latter.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I've just bought 'Trusted Mole' for £2 delivered. I wanted a book on the Yugoslavian war but there was some quite intense reading. Not sure if I'd have the stomach for it. So I bought this instead, which seems more exciting than thousands of pages of political stuff.
    This was absolutely fucking excellent, by the way. Well worth a read.

Also, lads:

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have to order that set, just because.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <3

Getting proper nostalgic for the Danny Champion of the World audiobook I listened to over and over again as a little kid.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was absolutely fucking excellent, by the way. Well worth a read.

Also, lads:

Those for the kid? Or just for you? She's what, three now? Do you buy her loads of dolls and shit 'for girls' or give her more 'gender neutral' toys? I ask because I was visiting my three year old cousin last week and everything is just fucking dolls, dolls, dolls. So much girly shit. She's going to grow up and just be another twat 'princess' in this shitty town.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet the princess will be happy, unlike every single person who has ever bought/campaigned for gender-neutral toys.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Those for the kid? Or just for you? She's what, three now? Do you buy her loads of dolls and shit 'for girls' or give her more 'gender neutral' toys? I ask because I was visiting my three year old cousin last week and everything is just fucking dolls, dolls, dolls. So much girly shit. She's going to grow up and just be another twat 'princess' in this shitty town.
    I'm treating her on the basis that she'll turn out to be one of those gender swapping cunts so either way I can't go wrong.

They are for her, we're nearly done with the Giant Peach so I reckon it might be the BFG next.

She does have girly dolls and shit, we got her a doll's house for Christmas, she loves putting on make up (like her Mum not for real) but at the same time she loves artistry, playing the drums, going on her bike, puzzles, board games etc.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright.

What are you reading at the minute, Lewis?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm treating her on the basis that she'll turn out to be one of those gender swapping cunts so either way I can't go wrong.

They are for her, we're nearly done with the Giant Peach so I reckon it might be the BFG next.

She does have girly dolls and shit, we got her a doll's house for Christmas, she loves putting on make up (like her Mum not for real) but at the same time she loves artistry, playing the drums, going on her bike, puzzles, board games etc.
    That sounds like a pretty healthy balance. I'm not totally against gendered toys, it's just that they seem to be all my cousin has. Her parents aren't the brightest though so that's probably not a surprise. The other creative and educational stuff doesn't seem to get encouraged.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I find 'similar to' in terms of books? Like on IMDB?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Nothing.
    Liar.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a pretty healthy balance. I'm not totally against gendered toys, it's just that they seem to be all my cousin has. Her parents aren't the brightest though so that's probably not a surprise. The other creative and educational stuff doesn't seem to get encouraged.
    I know I boast a lot but my one is actually a genius. She can write her name legibly and can point out simple words, spell them and then tell us what it says.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the old, you know, I'm reading about wars that maybe never happened and generals that would shit on my face if i ever actually spoke to them in real life.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, i was like 6 posts late to that one

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Just the old, you know, I'm reading about wars that maybe never happened and generals that would shit on my face if i ever actually spoke to them in real life.
    Wars that maybe never happened?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just forget it man, some things aren't meant to be.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liar.
    I'm using my saddo time to re-write things I've already done the reading for, so I've got On War on the kitchen table and a load of shit articles.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use it to do your WDYTOE.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis what are some good historical war books? Not boring, plodding ones but exciting ones.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of On War, I'm about to read that book for the FOURTH FUCKING TIME this coming quarter. I've enjoyed it less and less every successive read, so i might dip into negative utility this time around.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis what are some good historical war books? Not boring, plodding ones but exciting ones.
    You need to be a bit more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Speaking of On War, I'm about to read that book for the FOURTH FUCKING TIME this coming quarter. I've enjoyed it less and less every successive read, so i might dip into negative utility this time around.
    It really is the best thing. Have you read much similar stuff?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Joe Abercrombie book was excellent. Enjoyed it very much and will be getting onto the rest of the trilogy.

Bryson's new one up next.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really is the best thing. Have you read much similar stuff?
    I've read purely philosophical works and purely historical ones, but nothing that was the melange that Clausewitz was. I'm sure I will in the class i'm taking though (International and Global Security). I was made to read Sun Tzu but that shit don't count.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a copy of your reading list? I've always been led to believe that the Americans like to think that the world starts with Alfred Thayer Mahan and ends with Bernard Brodie (maybe Quincy Wright in between).

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to be a bit more specific.
    I don't know. I really enjoyed Trusted Mole so something of that ilk. That was more about a man's experiences through a war from a neutral point of view, rather than an in-depth analysis of political decisions, military overviews etc. I'd also like if it was as true to the truth as possible and not biased in any way. I realise history is written by the winner, though.