User Tag List

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: The Book Thread

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    I read Annihilation and it was pretty good. Real page turner.

Toggle Spoiler

Just started White Noise by Don Delillo and it seems terrible. Make myself 50/1 to make it to half way.
    Underworld is his best work, the opening section at the baseball game is masterful.

Wasn't a huge fan of White Noise.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    I read Annihilation and it was pretty good. Real page turner.

Toggle Spoiler

Just started White Noise by Don Delillo and it seems terrible. Make myself 50/1 to make it to half way.
    White Noise is OK, it's got a certain style and metre to it that I found difficult to get into a rhythm with though so I do know what you mean.

I would have periods of chipping away at it a few pages at a time and then suddenly hit a stride a knock of large section of it off in one sitting and think it was amazing. Definitely a mixed bag. It's worth finishing I would say, mainly just because I liked a lot of the themes he was writing about. He some oddly prophetic ideas in there.

I read another of his recently (Great Jones Street) and fucking hated it though.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try and crack on with it. I've got 10 hours of travel and not much else to read so I haven't got much choice. My main issue is it keeps trying to be funny in a 1980s American I am so smart sort of way and it's not landing. I feel like I'm going to find the whole thing a bit played out.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defo try Underworld if you do get the chance mate. Its the more 'serious' of his works and feels like when he hit his stride.

Iff you're in the UK (can't remember) happy to post it out.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Someone wrote a 600 page book comparing Andy Warhol to Chris Chan. I know next to nothing about Warhol, but he cannot have been good.

I need to book a holiday so I can read it.
    What's it called?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    What's it called?
    Warhol / Chris Chan: The Lifespan of American Pop Culture, or The Suppression of Reality

https://amzn.to/3Cs0RlK
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm interested but not £23 interested.

I also have to wonder what a book can say about Chris Chan that hasn't already been spilled over the internet.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the spirit of the recent explosion of Dune fever I've returned to that series after a while away from it with Heretics of Dune, which I'm maybe just over half way through and mostly enjoying.

He definitely didn't plan to spin it out this long and and it becomes generally stranger the longer the series goes on (God Emperor of Dune in particular, as a concept and an actual book, is fucking insane, but still great) but he's so good at world building that it's still really readable and really good sci-fi.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on Dune fever at the minute too. Read the first book in time for Dune 2 coming out (hadn't seen the first one but managed to catch it in the cinema the day before Dune 2 came out). Currently on Messiah. Just got back from seeing Dune 2 for the second time tonight.

I read somewhere (I think it was on twitter) that towards the end of the Frank Herbert books they get a bit meh. Apparently the Brian Herbert (and that other guy) books are best avoided. Anyone read any of them?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dune Messiah is class. I wouldn't say it's a better book than the first one but I do think it's possibly a better story. If that makes sense. I love where it takes it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reading The Steel Bonnets by George Macdonald Fraser.