User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Brexit Party

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    On face value this is definitely true in some sectors, though not in all - environmental regulations for instance definitely hurt more the bigger you are.

You’ll note that a lack of regulation will also result in a steady accretion of power by the largest businesses, without the oversight needed to at least make them function in a socially acceptable manner.
    If this were true, why is it big business that supports regulations and government intervention the moment they acquire significant market share?

See: https://reason.com/1971/09/01/free-e...nd-the-monopo/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Yes, this is what explains why there are not a lot of competitors in a heavily regulated industry like the production of commercial jets.
    The regulatory pressures are the significant hurdle. Costs are increased but it is at best the 10th most important thing. Significant regulatory infrastructure is more likely a signal of an industry with a lot of sunk costs.

I mean, regulatory capture as the defining corporate issue in Silicon Valley? Really?
    That's the claim anyways, in reality it's a ploy by big business to justify ossification of the market, with the result being stifled innovation and increased costs (and much easier coordination in the long-run among legacy firms with each other).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomert View Post
    If this were true, why is it big business that supports regulations and government intervention the moment they acquire significant market share?

See: https://reason.com/1971/09/01/free-e...nd-the-monopo/
    (3) no harm comes from the private ownership of an industry even by one or a few
    Among the absolute hogwash in that article, this was my favorite bit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reason is one of those weirdo libertarian blogs. The only thing they’re good on is drugs and asset forfeiture. Apart from that they’re nutjobs.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These people all got bullied at 13 and turned to Ayn Rand for solace. I know the type.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Among the absolute hogwash in that article, this was my favorite bit.
    I chose a simplistic article because the arguments you were making were simplistic

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These people all got bullied at 13 and turned to Ayn Rand for solace. I know the type.
    I don't know a single emotionally-balanced masculine male who doesn't have little l libertarian impulses among a broader set of conservative views. Liberal men adopt what they perceive to be socially popular positions to impress women (because they aren't getting laid and aren't traditionally attractive), because don't have the self-assurance or ability to think for themselves, usually mixed with resentment due to their inferior socio-economic position.

I can make meaningless generalizations too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can make meaningless generalizations too.
    We're well aware of that. It's all you did for about four years.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That just sounded like a closeted cry for help masked by a bunch of political babble.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mokkers disdainfully observing the habits of teenage dweebs, rolling his eyes, and then coming on here pretending to be a Czech tennis coach and making up miscarriages.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m glad I did that instead of becoming an angsty libertarian

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the claim anyways, in reality it's a ploy by big business to justify ossification of the market, with the result being stifled innovation and increased costs (and much easier coordination in the long-run among legacy firms with each other).
    The claim you made was that Silicon Valley and Wall Street we’re full of Democrats because something something cribbed from Ben Shapiro something. Increasing the number of syllables doesn’t make it any smarter.

What exactly is the evidence of all these Silicon Valley business that were relying on muscling out their competition through regulatory capture? Or are you thinking Amazon has outlawed the sale of books or online retailing? Perhaps Netflix has been pushing anti-theater legislation? Of course, Uber and Lyft did ....

Oh wait, you say - the majority of plays in the industries you originally cited act in the exact opposite way? But, of course, we all know that hedge funds have been pushing for increased regulation for decades to keep out competition. It really shouldn’t be too surprising there are a lot of Democrats in Wall Street, New York and Silicon Valley, California. But please, can someone on #team engineer come up with a suitably fancy way to say “move the goalposts”.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    popcorn.gif
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I reckon getting the likes of 'Sargon of Akkad' involved is loller than anything Gerard Batten actually believes. An absolute classic of the old people trying to connect with young people genre, second only to that shithouse agenda Labour have got to revitalise the bollocks high street.
    I'm quoting this again because of this article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...buse-boys.html

Out. Standing.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul Joseph Watson was knocking about with them at one point as well, but he doesn't appear to have taken it any further. Shame. Could have done with him and his weird American doing a Brian Clough impression voice knocking on doors with a pop-up map.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like a Mount Rushmore of 'Free Speech'.