49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleganebowl get hype

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon we get Grey Worm attacking The Mountain and getting turned inside out, then we get Cleganebowl, where we lose The Hound and then Arya to stick the final knife into the dead undead guy.

But in seriousness some things about Ep 4 just made no sense. The biggest being how off Bronn was. It was almost like that was the first time the 3 of them had met, never mind the 2 brothers being basically the only friends he has.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That scene was shit in a hundred ways. He's going against two people with whom he has significant history, and who he knows to be true to their word for someone he knows to be a fucking headbanger. They've basically made him a cackling villain, presumably so in the next episode they can write to an 'OH SHIT' moment when he has one of them dead to rights, followed by an 'OH PHEW' moment when he does what Spikey suggested.

Given how the writing of this season has gone, I wouldn't bet against them doing the ultimate cliche action beat, where Bronn seems to have the crossbow trained on Jaime, but when he fires the bolt actually flies over his shoulder and wipes out some hitherto unseen attacker who was about to have Jaime's head off. Then they'll nod and smile, and we get a quick shot of Cersei looking dismayed because she's somehow sensed that she's been had.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was pretty shit but I did obviously lol at Tormund (and weep with him when Brienne chose Jamie) and when Mother of Bullshit lost her second dragon.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neuer and IF Volland from more of these minor league packs about 5k down from before I packed them. Seems almost rigged right now.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    Neuer and IF Volland from more of these minor league packs about 5k down from before I packed them. Seems almost rigged right now.
    Not a chance any of them end up on the Iron Throne.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF Volland does have a cracking claim tbf.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind, IF Volland, I'm all about this now:
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed that I'd pulled the old multiple tabs mistake last night

Watched back again tonight, as on first viewing I was knackered (I did the 2am one again). I think I failed to appreciate how shit Bronn's scene was, in agreement with everyone here it seems... If he genuinely fucks off now then they've totally ruined his character with one fell swoop.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He went from right up there to absolute toilet in one scene.

I've also just realised that we're not going to get anymore Tormund (I assume) so we've lost another one of the better characters all in one episode.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think that was the same interview where he said there wasn't enough budget for Jon Snow to say goodbye to the Direwolf that people thought would be a key plotpoint for the shows entire run.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm normally on the "it's not that bad" side of these arguments but honestly it's fucking depressing how terrible the writing has got compared to when they had source material.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can still write but they don't have the time/willingness to. Episode 2 was exactly what I'd expect if the show adapted from the book but everything else has been mostly bunkem with a couple of flourishes thrown in.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've just lost who the characters actually are. The action and the drama is still great, but the characters have all either become caricatures of themselves or, in the case of Bronn, abandoned who they are to fit the story line.

A lesson in finishing the fucking books before letting Hollywood get their hands on your shit.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George wont finish them before he dies.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will he bother at all? It will probably be a ghost written rush job now. You have to wonder how much say he's had in how it ends, because it's a massive drop in quality. From possibly being too detailed to fucking up the basics.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's being saying 'THIS YEAR LADS' since 2015 IIRC.

He's more interested in making money by doing any old shit with as little effort as possible.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That episode was stupid. Davos must be the only one up there with some sense, but they never use him.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wants 'Dany' out.

He knew about the Iron Fleet and he's the only one who actually knows about boats. It was planned.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only assume that he, or some other goon on their side, is going to buy off the Golden Company (or it's all a ruse to begin with).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyrion is drafting a deal to give them 2 of the 7 kingdoms.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Will he bother at all? It will probably be a ghost written rush job now. You have to wonder how much say he's had in how it ends, because it's a massive drop in quality. From possibly being too detailed to fucking up the basics.
    I was talking about this to somebody yesterday. It's like he's told them "Here are the main remaining big events" but without his padding to work from they've gone "Great!" and just sprinted through them. Which is odd given it presumably makes them a squillion quid.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they have definitely made huge errors with the pacing and some of the stupid plot holes in this season (and the past few), but they have been dealt a shitty hand. They came into this to adapt a story and they've since had to come up with effectively 3-4 seasons of original screenplay, which is inevitably compared to a very detailed and nuanced original book series.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gaps between books getting published were getting bigger, they might have guessed he wasn't going to have finished the last two in time for them to want to finish their show. Unless they were hoping he'd at least release the sixth one and they could spin a few more series out of that alone.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way the books were/are going is pretty much unfilmable anyway. Jon Connington RIP in pieces.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not even sure at this point if I'm going to want to bother with the rest of the books once they're eventually out. Sure what happens along the way will be different but do I care if I know the ultimate outcomes anyway?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure D&D didn't want to do anything past the Red Wedding really. They've just been phoning it in since then.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.nme.com/news/george-rr-m...-wrote-2486780

George R.R. Martin has said he’d have preferred it if HBO had depicted Game of Thrones in the exact same way he’d written the novels that the show is based upon.

Admitting that some of the deviation was due to his own shortcomings, Martin added: “Some of the deviation, of course, is because I’ve been so slow with these books. I really should’ve finished this thing four years ago – and if I had, maybe it would be telling a different story here. It’s two variations of the same story, or a similar story, and you get that whenever anything is adapted.”

He's such a cunt.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has he told the programme how to end it, or have they just decided their own ending?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's told them how the book is finishing I believe, but the show is significantly different enough from the books for them to do as they wish.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd think the broad sweep of it would be similar in terms of Cersei v the Good Guys Coalition at the end, but there is about 1000% more bullshit to trawl through in the books in order to get there.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is tonight the last episode? Can't remember.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One tonight, last one next week.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw some Twitter thread the other day that sought to defend the last few series on the grounds that the books had so much wank in them that they had to spend a couple of shit series lining everything up (five and six?), and then quickly wrap it up even if that meant turning everyone into an idiot to force various conclusions. That seems like it makes sense based on what I know of the books. Is that fair?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only read the first book (in the last few weeks) and honestly it doesn't feel like there's a whole lot of bloat in it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I've only read the first book (in the last few weeks) and honestly it doesn't feel like there's a whole lot of bloat in it.
    Wait until you get to Meereen. I understand what GRRRRM is trying to achieve with the stint there, but it's still such a slog to get through.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fourth book is complete filler and the fifth is about a third to half.

The rest don't have too much bloat.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the same stuff but with about 10 extra storylines involving people who don't appear in the TV version, Victarion Greyjoy being the dullest in a dull field.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the extra Targaryen even mentioned in the series?

The big clue for me is all the plot development that's gone on without any main characters being killed off, not very George that one.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, no Young Griff in the series. No Victarion, no Quentyn Martell (probably for the best that one), and no sign of Lady Stoneheart either.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been surprising to me realising how important Young Griff is to a lot of what's happening towards the end, what with the show cutting that entire part. In the books before I was always a bit confused what it was all leading up to, but I can see the part it would play in all this we're now seeing on screen, as well as giving a few characters that have done fuck all these past few seasons something to do.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Nope, no Young Griff in the series. No Victarion, no Quentyn Martell (probably for the best that one), and no sign of Lady Stoneheart either.
    No Strong Belwas either

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this week was great, much better than I expected and much better than the shambles of last week. The only bit I really disliked was the pointless fight between Jaime and Euron.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    I thought this week was great, much better than I expected and much better than the shambles of last week. The only bit I really disliked was the pointless fight between Jaime and Euron.
    Same all the way. I also thought the Varys arc was weirdly condensed, like the whole thing from start to finish took about 10 minutes. The rest of the episode was easily the best of the season though

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wot those 2 said ^

But also with the standard moan about Dany’s performance (that look, presumably of pure rage when she turns fully mental, was woeful). Saying that, the build up was pretty decently done, the killer line about not being popular in Westeros basically turning this into Dragons at Columbine.

Otherwise, ‘twas great and fulfils much of what the books and shows should have taught us - war is shit, civvies suffer at the hands of their lords and masters, familial traits are hard to shake off (inbreeding, durrrr).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    Wot those 2 said ^

But also with the standard moan about Dany’s performance (that look, presumably of pure rage when she turns fully mental, was woeful).
    Nah. Clarke in this episode is the best she has ever been on the show. That look was incredible.

I hated the episode, but I'm too tired of the show to go into why.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching it now and I've had to pause.

Why are the Iron Fleet, master of planning against dragons, fucked by one now? It just veers wildly from last week ffs.

Golden Company (THE GREATEST SELLSWORD ARMY EVAR) even more pointless than the Dothraki, brilliant.

Jesus she's thick as pigshit. 'We yield, the kingdom is yours', fuck it we'll burn the whole fucking castle, that'll show us.
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 13-05-2019 at 02:09 PM.