User Tag List

Page 53 of 199 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,650 of 9927

Thread: Do we live in a golden age of television?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Finished Goliath, presumably it'll be a one off series by the looks of it. Anything similar?
    You would think so, wouldn't you? I had the exact same reaction when I finished it, but apparently it's been renewed for a second season.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    You would think so, wouldn't you? I had the exact same reaction when I finished it, but apparently it's been renewed for a second season.
    Ah right, hadn't seen that. Definitely looked like an ending ending.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite liked Goliath. Had quite a unique feel to it (very creepy in parts). The storyline at the end felt a little unsatisfying though. All the actors were great, I should check out more of their stuff.

Bosch is another good Amazon series.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Ah right, hadn't seen that. Definitely looked like an ending ending.
    I did seem very final, I was surprised it got another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I quite liked Goliath. Had quite a unique feel to it (very creepy in parts). The storyline at the end felt a little unsatisfying though. All the actors were great, I should check out more of their stuff.

Bosch is another good Amazon series.
    I need to watch the new season of Bosch, I enjoyed the first two. It's nothing mind-blowing but it's a good, old-fashioned style detective show. I really like Titus Welliver too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, he's good in it. Not seen him in anything else. I'll probably renew my amazon tv thing for a month so I can watch the new season.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's one of those guys who does a really good job in supporting roles in absolutely loads of things but very rarely seems to play the lead character in anything, so I was happy to seem him get top billing in Bosch.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never heard tell of it at all before, but Bosch it is for me next.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The missus told me Season 2 was definitely out and definitely on Amazon so I was watching Goliath with a view to there being a second season. Did seem very final.

Characters were great, story was alright. Loved the noir parts.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think season 7 of Archer is the most I've properly laughed at it in ages.

Toggle Spoiler

EDIT: Also I've just watched that GOT trailer. Thank goodness they're continuing the Grey Worm romance storyline.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just started (the original) Twin Peaks. Fuckin love it, everyone's so weird. I wonder what kind of activities David Lynch does in his free time.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Just started (the original) Twin Peaks. Fuckin love it, everyone's so weird. I wonder what kind of activities David Lynch does in his free time.
    Its ace isn't it. The FBI bloke is hysterical. A few episodes in someone he knows also from the FBI turns up and it's so funny.

Trying to convince my wife to finish it off so we can get started on the new ones, buts it proving tough.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think season 7 of Archer is the most I've properly laughed at it in ages.

Toggle Spoiler

EDIT: Also I've just watched that GOT trailer. Thank goodness they're continuing the Grey Worm romance storyline.
    The 8th is a bit lacklustre though, there are some good bits but a lot of 'meh'.

I'd say that it's better than Vice but not by much.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Its ace isn't it. The FBI bloke is hysterical. A few episodes in someone he knows also from the FBI turns up and it's so funny.

Trying to convince my wife to finish it off so we can get started on the new ones, buts it proving tough.
    Me too! I did watch the some (possibly all) of the first season many years ago but I've completely forgotten everything, so I re-started it from scratch today.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd reccomend people stay away from youtube for Twin Peaks Season Three stuff. It's hit big. I might rewatch the first two and grab Fire Walk With Me at some point. And Baz, 'FBI bloke he knows' is David Lynch.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That just makes it even funnier.

We stopped watching it when there was a weird (what-seemed-like) backwards bit played forwards at the very end of an episode. A) WTF was that?? And B) could someone please tell me which episode number that is so I know where to carry on?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'll be the 'Man From Another Place', somewhere early in season two I think. They had him record some dialogue, then reversed it, transcribed the results phonetically, had him record that, then played that recording backwards in the actual program. David Lynch is bonkers.

I found the second half of season two a real struggle. It feels like someone less imaginative has watched the first season and is trying to replicate that sort of balls out strangeness.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More interestingly, Michael Cera is going to turn up in this. Presumably as a backwards ageing midget.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 episodes into the new season of Kimmy Schmidt and I'm liking it more than season 2. Titus is still the best thing about the show.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Keep going till you get to the Thanksgiving episode.
    Watched it this morning. Not worth it. The extra long one about his relationship with Francesa was okay though, but not great. I'm watching two shows at the moment - Maater Of None and Handmaids Tale. The fact that I'm so much more entertained by the latter is telling. Don't get me wrong, Handmaids Tale is really good and possibly the best representation of a book ever (!) but I watch that for srs bizzness, and hoped to get light relief from Master Of None, but it's just boring. Only one to go though!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That'll be the 'Man From Another Place', somewhere early in season two I think. They had him record some dialogue, then reversed it, transcribed the results phonetically, had him record that, then played that recording backwards in the actual program. David Lynch is bonkers.

I found the second half of season two a real struggle. It feels like someone less imaginative has watched the first season and is trying to replicate that sort of balls out strangeness.
    Was this on purpose? It was the fourth episode of season one I was upto. Took some finding because of this misdirection, and I was lucky to avoid spoilers.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you're just a shit person.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Was this on purpose? It was the fourth episode of season one I was upto. Took some finding because of this misdirection, and I was lucky to avoid spoilers.
    Nope, I honestly remembered that scene as being much further in than that. How have you gone about watching four episodes and forgetting where you were?

By the way, Workaholics has been cancelled.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone watch '3 Girls'? I think it's turned me racist.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, I honestly remembered that scene as being much further in than that. How have you gone about watching four episodes and forgetting where you were?

By the way, Workaholics has been cancelled.
    It was a long time ago.

And nooooooooo, why? Genuinely distraught.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone watch BoJack Horseman? I've started recently and I can't quite figure out what it's supposed to be. It's not as funny as Archer or Rick & Morty, seems more like some sort of wonky cartoon drama almost, but something has me keeping watching it for some reason. It's mostly just weird.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never seen it but it's shi....

Sorry, don't shout at me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody watched any of American Gods yet?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Does anyone watch BoJack Horseman? I've started recently and I can't quite figure out what it's supposed to be. It's not as funny as Archer or Rick & Morty, seems more like some sort of wonky cartoon drama almost, but something has me keeping watching it for some reason. It's mostly just weird.
    Yeah. I love it. It's amazing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody watched any of American Gods yet?
    Yeah, I'm up to date with it. What do you think of it? I reckon they're mostly doing a very good job with it. It looks fantastic too, the production values are top notch.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Yeah, I'm up to date with it. What do you think of it? I reckon they're mostly doing a very good job with it. It looks fantastic too, the production values are top notch.
    Haven't seen it at all yet, but I'm off for ten days so I might give it a bash. Loved the book.

Was a bit "Ricky fucking Whittle!?" when it was announced.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone on Designated Survivor? Just started it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't seen it at all yet, but I'm off for ten days so I might give it a bash. Loved the book.

Was a bit "Ricky fucking Whittle!?" when it was announced.
    Me too, he's quite good though. I think physically he's very well suited to the role. Obviously it's necessary for Shadow to talk and be expressive a lot more in the TV show than he is in the book (where he's basically just a big, surly, mute for quite a lot of the time) but he's doing alright, he's not over doing it. Ian McShane is predictably great as Wednesday. The guy playing Czernobog is also excellent.

The intersperse the "Coming to America" sections from the book into the show really well too. I think my only issue with it so far is they're obviously taking it as slow as they can with the pace. But I get that, because the book isn't that long really and obviously they want a few seasons out of it at least. They've added a few bits in to flesh it out but it's been done pretty well. I think Gaiman is quite heavily involved in it all.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all very glossy and well made, but I couldn't get into it at all. I was tired when I started it so I'll give it another go at some point, but I lasted about half an hour before turning it off. The bar fight, whenever that was.

Instinctively Pablo Schreiber seems like a terrible piece of casting for that role. They should have just did what they very clearly wanted to do and got Conor McGregor in.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is definitely an odd choice for it, but they actually had to re-cast him in that role at the last minute. Apparently Sean Harris was meant to play him, and I think had even begun filming, but he had to leave for "personal reasons".

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I love it. It's amazing.
    What's the appeal for you? I find myself sort of keeping to watch it, but I'm not sure why. It rarely makes me laugh, I don't care that much about the characters. But for some reason I still find it pretty decent.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better Call Saul is ace, been an excellent season so far.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @phonics do you still watch Mr Robot? I finished season 2 last night and I barely know what's going on now.
    I missed this at the time. I binned it after the prison reveal. You can only take so much lying to the audience and then presenting it as a twist. I'll probably look up the ending on wikipedia.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    What's the appeal for you? I find myself sort of keeping to watch it, but I'm not sure why. It rarely makes me laugh, I don't care that much about the characters. But for some reason I still find it pretty decent.
    Because it ranges from dumb sight gags about anthropomorphised animals through to trying to deal with the meaninglessness of life. And it does the latter pretty well. It gets quite dark at times.

I think it's in a similar vein to Rick and Morty. I'm surprised you don't like it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I missed this at the time. I binned it after the prison reveal. You can only take so much lying to the audience and then presenting it as a twist. I'll probably look up the ending on wikipedia.
    Yeah, fair enough. That was bullshit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it ranges from dumb sight gags about anthropomorphised animals through to trying to deal with the meaninglessness of life. And it does the latter pretty well. It gets quite dark at times.

I think it's in a similar vein to Rick and Morty. I'm surprised you don't like it.
    No I do like it. But I can't figure out quite why.

Rick & Morty I find quite funny and clever. BoJack is not that funny, and sort of clever, but still has something.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Channel 4 have bought the rights to The Handmaid's Tale.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PJ Gallagher was racing about it on his podcast last week and he hasn't led me astray yet, but that sounds a bit rough for me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Better Call Saul is ace, been an excellent season so far.
    Yeah it has been very enjoyable, it really picked up 3 or so episodes in. Excited to see where they take it, and how close they end up to Breaking Bad in the timeline.

Couple of good interviews I've watched recently with the actors who play Jimmy and Chuck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hFdFIsv4o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Dwr5uLLCs

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's incredibly grim, and often in absurd, unexpected ways. Absolutely brilliant though.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Channel 4 have bought the rights to The Handmaid's Tale.
    Didn't they start airing it last night?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't they start airing it last night?
    They did. There are seven episode out there though, I haven't seen any of them yet. I do mean to watch it at some point though. The book is quite heavy in places, and the media are inevitably going to draw some (admittedly very over the top) links between it's dystopia and the current political landscape of America, so I can imagine why it's causing a bit of a stir.

It airs on Hulu in American which, from what I can gather, is some sort of Netflix alternative that we don't have over here. They did the adaptation of that Stephen King book about time travel and the Kennedy assassination too. I forget the name. I haven't seen that either, it was also meant to be good.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11/22/63. The book was alright. I haven't got around to watching the TV show yet.

I started The Handmaid's Tale (the book) a few years ago but got distracted and never finished it. I want to read the book before I watch the show. It wasn't my copy though so I need to buy it again.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11/22/63. The book was alright. I haven't got around to watching the TV show yet.

I started The Handmaid's Tale (the book) a few years ago but got distracted and never finished it. I want to read the book before I watch the show. It wasn't my copy though so I need to buy it again.
    When it came out I didn't watch it because I wanted to read the book first, I'd heard it was one of his better ones. But I've not gotten around to it. I need to do that. It's quite a long read, isn't it? I almost picked up a copy a few months ago and it looked pretty weighty.

The Handmaid's Tale isn't very long, 300 pages or so. You could definitely pick up a copy and smash through it really quickly before you get onto the TV show.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's pretty long. Longer than it needed to be, really. I don't think I've read anything else of his to know how it compares.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The media haven't been drawing Trump parallels as far as I can see, that's been the daft Trumpites who've seen the adverts and decided the whole thing is pure propaganda against him.

The Stephen King thing Hulu did was alright to a point, but it took itself far too seriously for what is essentially a campy time travel story.

In terms of production values Handmaid's Tale is better than even the best Netflix stuff, so Hulu obviously have their shit together. It'll be the best thing to appear on Channel 4 since Brasseye.