User Tag List

Page 99 of 198 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,950 of 9892

Thread: Do we live in a golden age of television?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The New Year special of Only An Excuse will almost certainly be getting a few complaints over a sketch about a Corbyn Scarf, which is 'suitable for weddings, birthday parties, but maybe no Barmitzvahs'.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mrs was watching the Office all day while I had the ball on the tablet. It’s actually not that bad at all, as I fucking hated the Office UK so has never gave it more than 5 minutes before I think. Some of the characters are very good.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US Office is a stunning comedy series.

I’ve been rewatching parks and Rec on amazon prime recently and it’s also still superb.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is series 7 I think and I’ve seen most of it now so I won’t go back to any earlier but I think I’ll watch it through to the end from here.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    US Office is a stunning comedy series.

I’ve been rewatching parks and Rec on amazon prime recently and it’s also still superb.
    Like most American sitcoms though, it went on far too long past it's prime.

There were more bad seasons then good by the time it was all done.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s bollocks. I don’t agree with that at all.

I actually think it held up better than most in later seasons. There’s some sentimental shit at the end no doubt, but the final season are still great viewing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    This is series 7 I think and I’ve seen most of it now so I won’t go back to any earlier but I think I’ll watch it through to the end from here.
    You should go back. It isn't intensely serialised anyway and season 7 is getting close to the point at which it becomes almost completely unwatchable.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished season 1 now and I maintain Fleabag is not that funny.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fully expected to hate it, but thought it was superb. Olivia Colman's character is one of the funniest on TV.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Modern Family is great.
    Bosch is quite good.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Bosch, it's nothing groundbreaking but it's just a really well-made show, plus the kid isn't annoying which is what ultimately made me give up on Ray Donovan.

Also The Battered Bastards of Baseball documentary on Netflix is pretty good despite not being into baseball at all.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new Dracula (I've watched one of the two that've been on so far) is a lot of campy schlock in most ways but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed Bosch, it's nothing groundbreaking but it's just a really well-made show, plus the kid isn't annoying which is what ultimately made me give up on Ray Donovan.
    Yep, follows a pretty standard police show formula but does so way better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Modern Family is very good for a while, but after about season two it doesn't take long for the big heartwarming family all together moment that ends every episode to start ringing false. None of the characters on that show actually like any of the others.
    I've not been bothered by that, but in Season 8 some of the writing has been pretty bad. Still has enough funny moments and better written episodes to be enjoyable though. Phil is still great.

I'm not sure about your last sentence - Phil's love for the kids, particularly Luke, is a pretty strong theme. I'd say Gloria, Manny and Jay all like each other too.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Robot is alright so far. That Swedish executive with that crazy wife on his level is mad. Im 6 episodes into season 1

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They’ve made that into a TV show? Missed that completely.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He means Mr Robot. It’s good for a while but absolutely disapears up its own arse at some point. Spends so much time misdirecting the audience then goes ‘lol you thought that’s what was happening? you dumbass.’

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Messiah thing on Netflix was alright although it annoyed me how much the main woman reminded me of Juliana Crane from The Man in the High Castle.

Started Justified today. It seems decent from the first couple of episodes but I assume it improves a lot given how much you lot rate it.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the first series is establishing the world. I think it might get better with every season. Actually that's a lie, Season 1 ends really well, Season 2 is okay with good moments and 3,4,5,6 are incredible.

Robert Quarles is a great bad guy.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    That Messiah thing on Netflix was alright although it annoyed me how much the main woman reminded me of Juliana Crane from The Man in the High Castle.

Started Justified today. It seems decent from the first couple of episodes but I assume it improves a lot given how much you lot rate it.
    The latter doesn’t sound like it would interest me at all but I wouldn’t mind giving that Messiah thing a go.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Mr robot. Terrel is like a Swedish American psycho

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's still all LOOK HOW OUTRAGEOUS I AM, but some of those Ricky Gervais cracks were a bit close to the bone. Top effort.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reckon the Weinstein one was the best, you could just tell from a lot of the faces that they genuinely hated it all.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shearer The 2nd View Post
    Reckon the Weinstein one was the best, you could just tell from a lot of the faces that they genuinely hated it all.
    Yeah they hated it all so much and he DESTROYED the hollywood elite so badly that they *checks notes* invited him on for a third time when no-one else has even done it twice.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but in the past he was just sending them up, he wasn't calling them hypocrites and saying they all turned a blind eye to noncing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about as episodic as television gets through the middle chapters, there's a run where they just drop the title character into barely modified sixties Western and Samurai films, but taken as a whole The Mandalorian is pretty comfortably the best Star Wars story.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Yeah they hated it all so much and he DESTROYED the hollywood elite so badly that they *checks notes* invited him on for a third time when no-one else has even done it twice.
    Five times. He's hosted them five times. You should check your notes more carefully before adopting your much used condescending bellend stance. Even having watched the thing Alan and, by extension, you are talking about would have told you that.

Anyway, he did go in far harder than he has done in the past, probably hard enough that there won't be a sixth invite. Although he said about fifteen times during the opening monologue alone that he wouldn't be hosting again so whether they want him to or not is probably moot.

The reason he's done it so many times is that the Golden Globes are prestigious enough within the industry that nobody is turning one down or dipping the ceremony over a slightly off colour joke at their expense from the host, but those same jokes are catnip to the people who want nothing more from their morning news than a picture of Rihanna looking a bit dishevelled.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Wolf Hall. Thought it was fucking great. Seems almost more like a play than a television show, which makes sense given the actors involved

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gervais has said he won't do it again before and he has so I don't see why he wouldn't for a 6th time. You could say that the FPA and/or whoever actually organises it won't have him back because he went further than he has before, but he's been digging people out every single time and they love it.

As for going further this time, he didn't say anything that wasn't true and it really should be a source of shame for them all. You can take the moral high ground when it's easy (refusing to appear with Sir Mel, for example), but if while you're doing that you're also turning a blind eye to what Weinstein's been up to and signing petitions in support of Roman Polanksi then you should be made to feel uncomfortable about that and probably for longer than the length of an opening monologue.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always good to have the word 'minge' back in the public eye for a bit.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone watch the Bumpy Johnson thing yet?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Five times. He's hosted them five times.
    Jesus.. the other day a commercial for it came on and his lines were basically the Ricky Gervais version of "ah shit me? they're having me host this? surely i can't be the right guy!"

and i said "what the fuck hasn't this guy hosted this shit like every single year? apparently you are the right guy."

FIVE was an astonishing number though lol

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Watched Wolf Hall. Thought it was fucking great. Seems almost more like a play than a television show, which makes sense given the actors involved
    I liked it too but a lot of the high brow critics here were quite sniffy. Not really sure why. It's far better than the book which is awfully-written dribble.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm liking the different versions of "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" that're being done.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I liked it too but a lot of the high brow critics here were quite sniffy. Not really sure why. It's far better than the book which is awfully-written dribble.
    From what I've read it seems to take a really weird stance on the 'moral qualities' of all these historical figures, in that Cromwell was far more of a sleazy cunt in real life and Anne was at least a bit more complicated than depicted. I don't know nearly as much Tudor history as you Brits but from what I've read it seems generally accepted that Cromwell and Anne's falling out was due to Anne wanting the expropriated church funds to go to charity, and Cromwell wanting them to go directly to Henry (and himself). Which wouldn't necessarily matter all that much since artistic license etc etc but I do think Cromwell's break with Anne was too abrupt and didn't follow logically from the plot. Otherwise really good though

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm liking the different versions of "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" that're being done.

My favourite so far.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished watching The Confession Killer last night and it's hilarious. It's not meant to be, obviously, but the levels of corruption within the US police force is something to behold. How anybody could have believed any of it is beyond me.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watching the latest series of The Expanse, and it's fantastic.

Also - I saw Altered Carbon is back for a new series next month. I loved the first one.

Both really good sci-fi, if you're looking for a recommendation.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Just watching the latest series of The Expanse, and it's fantastic.

Also - I saw Altered Carbon is back for a new series next month. I loved the first one.

Both really good sci-fi, if you're looking for a recommendation.
    With an almost completely new cast though.

Damn shame as Higereda's character was great and she's hot as hell.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    With an almost completely new cast though.

Damn shame as Higereda's character was great and she's hot as hell.
    True - but, as the premise of the show is that consciousness remains and can be moved to another host it kinda fits.

Agreed on the latter though

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched all of Season 2 of Discovery recently and it's really a fine Star Trek series. And now there's Picard - absolutely fantastic to see him back in that role.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really need to finish watching the back catalogue of Star Trek as that Picard series does look good.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I really need to finish watching the back catalogue of Star Trek as that Picard series does look good.
    I think we've had this conversation before, but I'm in a similar situation with Star Trek. I want to get into it and, on paper, it's right up my alley, but for whatever reason I feel like I have to watch it all from the beginning. And there's so fucking much of it.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone did a big list of the stuff you need to watch/can skip.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I think we've had this conversation before, but I'm in a similar situation with Star Trek. I want to get into it and, on paper, it's right up my alley, but for whatever reason I feel like I have to watch it all from the beginning. And there's so fucking much of it.
    Yeah, the episodes I have watched are good but 703 episodes total not including The Animated stuff is pretty overwhelming.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Someone did a big list of the stuff you need to watch/can skip.
    The only list I've seen is a recommended viewing order but nothing was skipped.

A what can be skipped list would be nice.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Watched all of Season 2 of Discovery recently and it's really a fine Star Trek series. And now there's Picard - absolutely fantastic to see him back in that role.
    We must be the only two that liked it. I loved it but I never seen as much moaning about a TV show ever.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Where? It really fits well into the TNG vibe and isn't Enterprise (which just didn't seem to work).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    We must be the only two that liked it. I loved it but I never seen as much moaning about a TV show ever.
    I liked it a lot.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a non-Star Trek related note I've been watching all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the first time recently (and now simultaneously Angel as well) and I've no idea whether that's a weird thing for a man in his early thirties to do or not but fuck it, it's really good.

It kind of offers that mixture of monster-of-the-week episodes and mythology stuff that made me like Supernatural so much. And the X-Files. Although I've yet to finish that.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Really? Where? It really fits well into the TNG vibe and isn't Enterprise (which just didn't seem to work).
    People seemed to really hate Burnham and more seemed to resent that it looked more modern than a TV show made in the 1960’s.