User Tag List

Page 83 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,150 of 9891

Thread: Do we live in a golden age of television?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His American accent was really really good, i had no idea he wasn’t American until I read his wikipedia page.

The one Sopranos actor that always pissed me off wasn’t Van Zandt, but the guy who played Paulie. Lame-O

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paulie was the best character on that show, boring repetition of crap jokes aside.

All the kids on The Sopranos were absolutely terrible.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Paulie was the best character on that show, boring repetition of crap jokes aside.

All the kids on The Sopranos were absolutely terrible.
    Tony's bantz with his mates were always my favourite bits of the show.

What did you think of the kids in the wire?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The prominent ones were all good, with the four in season four all being excellent, but you could tell that for the minor roles they were just taking Cutty's truancy van round and casting off the street.

Actually, Sherrod was pretty prominent for a while and the kid playing him couldn't act sad if his mum died, so he's the exception.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’ve been mugged off, swapping GoT for The Wire. I’ve only ever watched the first episode of each but The Wire is clearly far superior.

It amazes me how popular Lame Of Thrones is. Dumb dragon and incest shite, OMG must watch it live at 2am!
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game of Thrones is great, I think it peaked a few seasons ago though but still can’t wait for the new episodes.
    The Wire completely blows it away though.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    You’ve been mugged off, swapping GoT for The Wire. I’ve only ever watched the first episode of each but The Wire is clearly far superior.

It amazes me how popular Lame Of Thrones is. Dumb dragon and incest shite, OMG must watch it live at 2am!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started watching Turn Up Charlie on Netflix recently, mostly just because it had Idriss Elba in it and he's a don. But it's actually really enjoyable to watch. It's nice to watch something a little light-hearted, been a while since I did that for some reason.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Road to Brexit' on iPlayer is pretty good. It's a 'mockumentary' by Matt Berry and is exactly what you'd expect of him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pr...road-to-brexit

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back to the X-Files recently after a couple of years off. I think I made it to season six last time around, but I quickly realised I had forgotten pretty much everything that was going on so I've just restarted it. I'm back into the second season now.

I'm surprised how little I remember of it from the first time around, to be honest. I'd also forgotten how every notable person that has ever been on television seems to turn up in a guest role at one point or another.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Has anyone seen OA? I'm watching the 2nd series. It's decent. It probably would have been bigger if Stranger Things didn't exist.
    I thought the first season was amazing (weird, but fantastic). Not got into S2 yet.

I've been watching Ozark recently. Great show too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started rewatching Lost recently with someone who's never seen it before. Fucking hell Michael is a wanker.

It doesn't help that I'm immediately annoyed by his odd little puckered chinless face any time he comes on screen, but I reckon you could give his lines to Idris Elba, or whitewash it and put Olivia Colman in there, and I'd still want that character to have landed arsehole first on a bamboo stem when the plane crashed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ma boi, they tuk ma boi.

Over and over again.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't reached that point yet but I'm already getting PTSD just thinking about it.

We're only a few episodes in, so he's still going off his head for no obvious reason any time Locke pets their dog, while at the same time pretty much telling Walt to fuck off any time he actually tries to hang around with the massive hooting fanny.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best Sopranos performances were Tony and Carmela, Janice (must be the most irritating character in anything ever), Adriana, Christopher, Richie, Uncle Junior, and Johnny Sack. Everybody else was either phoning it in, playing themselves, or shit.

Honourable mentions to Little Carmine, and Frank Vincent in that episode where Phil turns into a house.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Janice wasn't half as irritating as Livia. The performance is good, in that she's exactly as loathsome as intended, but she's a fucking terrible character.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes think hatred of female characters is a bit excessive and says more about the attitudes of the viewer (Skyler White was annoying at times, but I definitely think a lot of the STUPID FUCKING CUNT comments I've seen online come from the same people who thought Walt was a fucking ledge for the entirety of the show, point missing idiots), but yes, Livia was a wonderfully evil character. One of my fave tv antagonists.

Christopher is a brilliant character, Michael Imperioli is hilarious at times. I think the comedy is actually what gives Sopranos the edge over the Wire for me. I don't think there's a funnier tv show ever made that wasn't an out and out comedy show.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wire was funnier than The Sopranos. There were fewer overtly comedic scenes, certainly, but far more laughs in otherwise serious scenes and it handled subtle, throwaway jokes as well as the very best comedies.

There isn't a moment in The Sopranos that can stand beside 'Nigga, is you taking notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy?'

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wire was funnier than The Sopranos. There were fewer overtly comedic scenes, certainly, but far more laughs in otherwise serious scenes and it handled subtle, throwaway jokes as well as the very best comedies.
    I totally disagree but see where you're coming from. The Wire did subtle humour brilliantly well, but I really liked the way the Sopranos would just turn into a broad sitcom for some scenes.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    I totally disagree but see where you're coming from. The Wire did subtle humour brilliantly well, but I really liked the way the Sopranos would just turn into a broad sitcom for some scenes.
    See I'd consider that a mark against The Sopranos. The Wire could go broad, Herc and Carver were basically slapstick comic relief characters for the whole first season, and the scene with the desk stuck in the doorway has been done in some form a million times, albeit without the meta aspect of Cool Lester Smooth winking through the screen at you. McNulty trying to recreate a car crash or fully prat falling down a hill pissed are pure slapstick moments too, but they're always in service of some aspect of either the narrative or the characters involved.

As good as it was, and I'm less high on it than most people, The Sopranos wasn't that interested in character development for the most part, so when it did shift into those moments of pure comedy they tended to be empty. They wouldn't betray the characters for the sake of a joke, which I always admire, but it was rare that a laugh on The Sopranos would come at a moment of character or plot advancement.

I should clarify part of that. The Sopranos was always interested in character, it was an almost entirely character driven show, but the characters didn't change much over the series. We learned new things about them, but how many characters with more than, say, fifteen episodes would you say are significantly different people at the end of the series than they were whenever they turned up?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See I'd consider that a mark against The Sopranos. The Wire could go broad, Herc and Carver were basically slapstick comic relief characters for the whole first season, and the scene with the desk stuck in the doorway has been done in some form a million times, albeit without the meta aspect of Cool Lester Smooth winking through the screen at you. McNulty trying to recreate a car crash or fully prat falling down a hill pissed are pure slapstick moments too, but they're always in service of some aspect of either the narrative or the characters involved.

As good as it was, and I'm less high on it than most people, The Sopranos wasn't that interested in character development for the most part, so when it did shift into those moments of pure comedy they tended to be empty. They wouldn't betray the characters for the sake of a joke, which I always admire, but it was rare that a laugh on The Sopranos would come at a moment of character or plot advancement.
    Good analysis, I do mostly agree with how you characterise the differences between the two shows there, but i don't personally see it as a clear victory for the wire - I like both for different reasons.

Like I even just about agree that The Wire uses comedy as a tool for servicing the show as a whole better, I just think The Sopranos is funnier. Like there's no scene in any tv show that made me laugh more than Junior thinking Larry David in Curb was him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned it in an edit earlier, so you may have missed it, but I'd put Stringer grabbing the minutes off Shamrock alongside anything you could name, and certainly above anything from The Sopranos. Omar on the stand is funnier on its own than a four or five episode run of The Sopranos.

As I said though, I just don't rate The Sopranos as highly as most people seem to. It's brilliant and influential, but with the exception of the first season it isn't the transcendent masterpiece it's hailed as.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be well up for watching Lost again. Such an epic.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's more comedy value in the Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos alone than in the entire run of The Wire, in my opinion. Which is not to say, by any means, that I think The Wire lacked it's fair share of funny moments.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've persevered with Mad Men and I'm now locked in. Runs nicely alongside my Vietnam doc.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm annoyed I lost track of it in season 2. HBO's doing a Chernobyl series. I'd much prefer a proper documentary. Mainly because everyone in the trailer seems to be British and I think they're going more into the cover up. I'd rather have the human stories of the clean-up.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I'm annoyed I lost track of it in season 2. HBO's doing a Chernobyl series. I'd much prefer a proper documentary. Mainly because everyone in the trailer seems to be British and I think they're going more into the cover up. I'd rather have the human stories of the clean-up.
    Could check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices...ernobyl_(film)

Based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_from_Chernobyl

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually don't care for the new Gomorra without Ciro, thank god for the prequel film. Though it'll be interesting how they show it as the difference between the first episode of Gomorra Ciro and latter Ciro is widly different. Though I hope we see more Conte

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gomorrah is back? This is news to me!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Gomorrah is back? This is news to me!

No Ciro no Party

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do worry about the lack of Ciro. As long as we've still got Genny though, I'm in. I liked that cool looking bastard from the last season too, the lad in charge of that little gang on the mopeds that ended up becoming big players. I forget his name now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I do worry about the lack of Ciro. As long as we've still got Genny though, I'm in. I liked that cool looking bastard from the last season too, the lad in charge of that little gang on the mopeds that ended up becoming big players. I forget his name now.
    That's true, he was an absolute G.

I've still never gotten over Conte dying, even Track ffs.

I just feel they killed off too many likeable characters. As if you could even call Ciro likeable but still....

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise Brooklyn Nine-Nine had actually started on UK TV so I got caught up on the first few episodes last night. It's been up and down so far but there have been a few laughs in there.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gets real real bad but half decent again now.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far in are you? Just so I know, if I agree that it gets proper shit, how long I'm enduring that until it perks up again.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    How far in are you? Just so I know, if I agree that it gets proper shit, how long I'm enduring that until it perks up again.
    Seen all bar the one that aired in the U S and A last night.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus christ that walrus scene in Our Planet really, really got to me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binging the American Office. It's brilliant.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Binging the American Office. It's brilliant.
    What season are you on? Assume you've not seen it before?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 3 and no.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seasons 3 and 4 are some of the finest comedy ever made.
    Enjoy it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the second series of Fleabag last night, and I reckon it's the best sitcom since The Office.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just cleared off Glow and Endeavour so I might give Fleabag a go next.

Glow continues to be great with Marc Maron and Alison Brie the highlights. Endeavour had a really good series, one of the best ones they've done yet I'd say. I suspect it's aged horribly but I'm kinda tempted to go back and watch some episodes of Morse to see how it ties in. I thought they were alright when half-watching them as a kid when my parents had them on.

Obviously Game of Thrones started this morning but I'd probably end up rattling through Fleabag quickly if I liked it.

Still need to get round to the second series of The Punisher as well.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did After Life in a night last week, and season one of Fleabag last night. The bingeable 6x30 minute season format of television is brilliant.

I found After Life very enjoyable but Fleabag is on another level. Will probably do season two tonight after Game of Thrones. Scenes tbh.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of this Fleabag. Might have to give it a go.

I presume it’s on Netflix?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Never heard of this Fleabag. Might have to give it a go.

I presume it’s on Netflix?
    Nah, it's on iPlayer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think Jimmy was in about Fleabag for a while, then I started to see it pop up everywhere as a recommendation. Bloody brilliant.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone been watching Our Planet (Attenborough's latest on Netflix)?

Only two episodes in, but it's phenomenal. There's one bit so far (that I don't want to spoil) that's the best argument for actually pulling our fucking fingers out and sorting global warming I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't yet, but I will be.

My mate has loved all the previous Attenbrough stuff and says this is the best so far.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, only two episodes in, but I’d agree from what I’ve seen so far that it’s his best so far.