User Tag List

Page 81 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,050 of 9891

Thread: Do we live in a golden age of television?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen a sports documentary that wasn't full of continuity disasters. Creatives and editors hate the procedural logic of sport, they need maximum drama at every turn.

The best sports doc I've seen (Out of the Ashes about the rise of the Afghanistan cricket team) basically invented the context of all the games shown to make it seem more dramatic. Calling random group games a semi-final and all sorts.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a tad repetetive, in that it follows a team thats essentially losing all season and they do meagre attempts at trying to convey a feeling of "hope" that the team has which constantly gets squashed. In fairness, I suppose that's a bit what it's like, given at the end they were still "only" a few points off.

But I think the highlight isn't so much seeing the team as seeing it's supporters. There's this one guy in particular they are following who's got a haunting set of teeth and a well soondurlagnd accent (how do they somehow sound like they are constantly swallowing while they talk?).

That, and the fact that the whole thing is basically showing how football works now. Supporter culture, Saturday 3pm, Local lads, Local coach, Community, all that stuff basically means fuck all. You have a chairman who isn't bothered, and the club is fucked.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only watched the first episode so far but the Scottish CEO guy who I remember was getting a lot of blame seemed to come across ok, Simon Grayson's presentation in pre-season to a load of bored footballers was great though. Local. Hard work. Passion. Try. Success. Synergy, so... yeah?

Can't wait for Chris Coleman to show up and confirm what I always knew about him even when Wales were doing well.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon Grayson came across as a nice enough bloke, but absolutely thick as pig shit.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone caught SAS: Who dares Wins?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm done with Punisher 2.

So damn good, Frank is on top form and even though this isn't the best Netflix MCU (Daredevil and Jessica Jones (season 1 at least) are better) I think Frank Castle is my favourite character and I'm going to miss it when they inevitably cancel it within the next month.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s some quality moments in Sunderland Til I Die, including the attempts to offload Rodwell, but in general it fell into the tropes of the All or Nothing series, DRAMA empathy DRAMA sympathy DRAMA DrAMATIC MUSIC slo mo footage DRAMA sob story.

The first season of Last Chance U remains the best of the modern fly on the wall fare, but the Graham Taylor one has to be the best I’ve seen. Proper fly on the wall stuff, with little awareness on show.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Simon Grayson came across as a nice enough bloke, but absolutely thick as pig shit.
    Yeah, he came across as an absolute retard. The team meeting he called where in his monotony he instructed his players to try to develop team spirit because a good team spirit will help win games was absolute jokes. I'm guessing the teams that have great "spirit" didn't develop it by sitting in on a conference where their boss told them to. He also spoke like a walking HR advertisement.

Coleman definitely seemed smart and a much better manager, but it was all so fucked at that point.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People's attempts to defend Rodwell with 'He signed a contract and it's their fault they can't afford it' is a load of nonsense, as far as I'm aware in most employment contracts there is at least the hint that in return for the salary you at least attempt to do your job properly.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It amazes me that Rodwell is still only 27. And he has somehow earned 3 England caps.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    And I'm done with Punisher 2.

So damn good, Frank is on top form and even though this isn't the best Netflix MCU (Daredevil and Jessica Jones (season 1 at least) are better) I think Frank Castle is my favourite character and I'm going to miss it when they inevitably cancel it within the next month.

Toggle Spoiler
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've never seen a sports documentary that wasn't full of continuity disasters. Creatives and editors hate the procedural logic of sport, they need maximum drama at every turn.

The best sports doc I've seen (Out of the Ashes about the rise of the Afghanistan cricket team) basically invented the context of all the games shown to make it seem more dramatic. Calling random group games a semi-final and all sorts.
    I watched Senna the other night. I saw it when it came out, but I know more about it now, and the way it makes him out to be some pure soul who just wanted to race and give his money to lepers... Wasn't he just about the most spoilt twat to ever sit in racing car? You could come away from it thinking that the FIA hobbled Williams - and only Williams - just to get in his way.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the same way as above, the film needed a particular narrative, i.e. Senna the pure Latin romantic doing things from the heart, and Prost the cold European bastard out to trick everyone. We've all seen that story play out a few times. In this case it kind of worked (supported by good old supervillain Balestre) but from memory it laughably glossed over his darker side, particularly when it cut from him deliberately crashing into Prost to his bullshit spiel about racing drivers having to go for a gap that exists (as well as a gap that did not exist, evidently).

All the top drivers are spoiled but he had an unusual level of visceral paranoia, although so did his mate Prost. Exploring the darker side would have made for a more interesting film too as I've never really understood where the paranoia came from - with Prost it was his weapon to outwit people who were perhaps naturally as quick or quicker than him over a lap, but with Senna there was no rags to riches background or anything fuelling it, just perhaps an unearthly talent. As it is, the film was just a well-framed, one-sided homage.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets have Gerhard Berger throw your briefcase out of a helicopter and see how paranoid you get.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father did logistics for Goodyear when F1 came to Mexico in the 80s/90s. He said Senna was a bit of a wanker and also carried some sort of witch around with him at all times. Prost apparently was a top lad.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a related note, I watched the documentary about Frank Williams on the train (my friend gave me their old smartphone), and it's harder to know who the bigger arsehole is out of him, for having been one all his life, or whichever family members happens to be on the screen justifying it.

*cheats on his long-suffering wife*
    'That's just Frank lol anything for motor racing!'

I bet the minute he croaks his daughter will be on the phone selling up.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a pretty exact correlation between Williams's success and Patrick Head's amount of influence in the team (with a bit of Adrian Newey chucked in for a lol in the 90s). Frank is just a hustler.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does seem to be mentally deficient on some level. Like a perpetual twelve year old.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've blasted through the first season of this police drama called 19-2 on Amazon over the last couple of days. It's not made my Amazon, that's just where I found in streaming. It's Canadian, but don't let that put though off. I've really enjoyed it so far. I reminds me quite a bit of Southland.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the last season of The Americans after picking it up for less than a fiver on Amazon. I’ll miss it, this season being a strong one and it never really having dipped in quality throughout the arc. For the final episode, it did well too - nothing was jarring, it was sombre, it didn’t try to close off every narrative.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True Detective season 3 is well worth the slow burn.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of slow burns, Mad Men. Can someone tell me now that nothing happens?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped it after a while. First few season are alright, but the more it focuses on 'Don' the shitter it gets, since he is dull as fuck.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Speaking of slow burns, Mad Men. Can someone tell me now that nothing happens?
    Some things happen but depends what you're after.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm over four years behind the pace, but the first season of Fargo is some of the best television that I have ever watched. The last time that I felt such genuine fear for or frustration with the characters was The Wire.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    I'm over four years behind the pace, but the first season of Fargo is some of the best television that I have ever watched. The last time that I felt such genuine fear for or frustration with the characters was The Wire.
    Yeah, it's absolutely great. Have you watched the whole season or still working your way through?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooklyn Nine Nine absolutely nailed Gina's exit episode. Reminding us what an absolute pest she is was a very clever way to ensure nobody would miss her.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Yeah, it's absolutely great. Have you watched the whole season or still working your way through?
    My wife and I just finished the first season, and I spent the entire finale on edge over Molly and Gus surviving. Would you say the following seasons compare?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I just finished the first season, and I spent the entire finale on edge over Molly and Gus surviving. Would you say the following seasons compare?
    They're not as good, but still miles better than most things you could be watching. The second goes back in time to deal with an event mentioned in passing by a couple of people in the first season, and has Patrick Wilson playing a young Lou, while he was still a policeman.

Spoiler refers only to the first season.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noted. It seemed likely that they would jump to Sioux Falls at some point.

Toggle Spoiler

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have the second season as even better. Third takes a notable dip.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been announced that series 8 will feature Iain Stirling, Joe Thomas, Lou Sanders, Paul Sinha and Sian Gibson.

RIP Taskmaster.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know who one of those people is, and he's every bit as funny as a drowning in the kiddy pool.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a fucking terrible line up.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I know who one of those people is, and he's every bit as funny as a drowning in the kiddy pool.
    Do you live in a cave?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Thomas is Simon from the Inbetweeners.
    Iain Sterling is the voiceover man from Love Island.
    Paul Sinha is from The Chase.
    Sian Gibson is from Peter Kay's car pool programme.
    Not a clue about Lou Thomas. Don't even know their pronoun.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same boat as John then.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know who 'Drake' was the other day, which was apparently surprising to some, so I have no chance with this lot.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm saying rapper and I'd be about 80% sure I'm right on that.

Down with the kids.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home with the downies.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Home with the downies.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fairness have they not just run out of people to go on it by now?

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that Richard herring is with TV panel show mafia Avalon and still doesn't get asked to go on this. You just know he's asked as well.

I think it'll be good, even the seasons which looked like having shit lineups have been alright, the format is strong enough to handle weaker lineups. Paul Sinha is also a comedian and a very decent one I reckon. More nice and charming fella than cry laughing but he'll be v good on taskmaster I reckon.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JJ and The Punisher croaked by Netflix Hopefully they'll all move to Disney as the last series of Punisher was great.

I'm back into The Expanse now it's on Amazon. Such fucking great sci-fi.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I'm back into The Expanse now it's on Amazon. Such fucking great sci-fi.
    Yeah, it's shit hot. I assume you mean that they've added the previous seasons to their library, rather than that the Amazon produced season is out. If it's the latter I'll be cancelling everything else to watch it immediately.

Apparently Amazon have almost tripled their budget per episode. The effects were generally excellent in the first three series, but they were occasionally a bit shonky and that should not be the case in season four, with a reported budget bigger than anything currently on TV short of Game of Thrones.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, season 3 is out (2 were on Netflix?). Picks up at the same clip as the first.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Nah, season 3 is out (2 were on Netflix?). Picks up at the same clip as the first.
    It was made by the SyFy channel and all their stuff winds up on Netflix, but they cancelled it after the third season and Amazon picked it up, so presumably they've just outbid Netflix for the third season to get people on board for the fourth season, which they're producing. Apparently Amazon have offered them an overall budget rather than an episodic one so they have freedom to spend big on one episode and take it out of the others, but supposedly there's a massive event from the books which they ought to be coming up on this year and they're being given forty million dollars to put together whichever episode houses it.

Could be the rare show, joining probably only Southland, that gets better after a cancellation.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southland

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ok, cheers. I only knew about the Netflix seasons. It’s new to me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baptiste got off to an iffy start. Hopefully it picks up.