User Tag List

Page 93 of 198 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,650 of 9892

Thread: Do we live in a golden age of television?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I stopped at the end of season 3.

I felt that there was too much Chuck and not even Mike.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Well, you're completely wrong.
    A man that can't be near a mobile? Absolute shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished the new season of Archer. Like, I’m glad it’s back, but nine twenty minute episodes was underwhelming. Plus the ending.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't watched Archer for a while, I gave up on it I would guess a couple of seasons ago now as the level had gone off a cliff. Has it picked up again?

New season of Mindhunter has started just as well as the last one. Best thing I've seen recently is still Daredevil season 3 though, which was such a surprise as S2 was MEH.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 26-08-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    A man that can't be near a mobile? Absolute shit.
    Well, he thinks he can't be near a mobile. There's plenty of mad people like that about.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Just finished the new season of Archer. Like, I’m glad it’s back, but nine twenty minute episodes was underwhelming. Plus the ending.
    The 1999 one? I just about made it through the first episode before binning the season off.

Vice and the last 3 seasons have been horeshit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a bit of something called Manifest last night, on the recommendation of someone I'll no longer trust on such things. Fuck me it's bad, but it's more than that. The premise is that a plane takes off, the passengers experience some turbulence, and then the plane lands only five years have passed for the rest of the world and they've all been presumed dead. That's a decent enough hook for a show, you can imagine the short pitch for it being 'what if the Lost plane came back'. Then it got moving, and the present day stuff leads into flashbacks of people on the plane, which lead into flashbacks of what they were up to in the airport, and so on, with each flashback denoted by plenty of lense flare and a familiar whooshing sound. There's even a mysterious force at work which seems to have chosen people from the flight it thinks are in some way special

I did some quick Googling - while a man followed his little boy into the guts of an abandoned train station and found someone the man had met earlier that day who immediately challenged the little boy to a game of chess - to find out how the definitely extant lawsuit was getting on, and it turns out the 'creator' is getting away with spouting some Trump level horseshit. A quote from last year has him coming up with the idea 'on a family holiday a decade ago', so 2008, but that his little story about a lost plane didn't seem relatable enough until MH370 went missing. As far as I'm aware he's somehow yet to be punched to the ground and told that Lost was the biggest show on TV in 2008. The only reason I can think of that they're not being sued into the ground is that the people who made Lost see it as making their show look less stupid in retrospect, at which it's doing a great job.

I think I got through about six episodes of it, propelled through by pure fascination that something this derivative and this stupid existed, but I gave up when someone who's been confidently listening to and obeying the voices she's been hearing over the month since they landed suddenly started asking strangers if they 'heard that' for absolutely no reason. I expect a spirited defence of it from Mahow, patron saint of Helix, but it's fucking bilge.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Archer is best since Vice, picking up from Ep 3, but it's still nowhere near the first 4 seasons. Finished Final Space too - the first few ep's were massively overwhelming but it hit stride halfway through and ended very well, look forward to season 2.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I watched a bit of something called Manifest last night, on the recommendation of someone I'll no longer trust on such things. Fuck me it's bad, but it's more than that. The premise is that a plane takes off, the passengers experience some turbulence, and then the plane lands only five years have passed for the rest of the world and they've all been presumed dead. That's a decent enough hook for a show, you can imagine the short pitch for it being 'what if the Lost plane came back'. Then it got moving, and the present day stuff leads into flashbacks of people on the plane, which lead into flashbacks of what they were up to in the airport, and so on, with each flashback denoted by plenty of lense flare and a familiar whooshing sound. There's even a mysterious force at work which seems to have chosen people from the flight it thinks are in some way special

I did some quick Googling - while a man followed his little boy into the guts of an abandoned train station and found someone the man had met earlier that day who immediately challenged the little boy to a game of chess - to find out how the definitely extant lawsuit was getting on, and it turns out the 'creator' is getting away with spouting some Trump level horseshit. A quote from last year has him coming up with the idea 'on a family holiday a decade ago', so 2008, but that his little story about a lost plane didn't seem relatable enough until MH370 went missing. As far as I'm aware he's somehow yet to be punched to the ground and told that Lost was the biggest show on TV in 2008. The only reason I can think of that they're not being sued into the ground is that the people who made Lost see it as making their show look less stupid in retrospect, at which it's doing a great job.

I think I got through about six episodes of it, propelled through by pure fascination that something this derivative and this stupid existed, but I gave up when someone who's been confidently listening to and obeying the voices she's been hearing over the month since they landed suddenly started asking strangers if they 'heard that' for absolutely no reason. I expect a spirited defence of it from Mahow, patron saint of Helix, but it's fucking bilge.
    What a tedious bloke you are.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For talking about a show he watched in the thread that we use for that purpose?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a BIT weird to watch 6 episodes of something and write a 3 paragraph review on it when you thought it was irredeemably shit from the outset.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same show suggested to me by someone at work but refused to watch it on the basis I already suffered through all of Lost. Seems it was the right call.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    It is a BIT weird to watch 6 episodes of something and write a 3 paragraph review on it when you thought it was irredeemably shit from the outset.
    Simmer down on the diagnoses, Dr.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really need to watch breaking bad

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    I had the same show suggested to me by someone at work but refused to watch it on the basis I already suffered through all of Lost. Seems it was the right call.
    Basically the same here but I don't think the person who mentioned it to me had actually seen it, just said it looked like it might be good.

Also, John's TV reviews are always worth a read so STFU, manc.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father in law suggested I watch it. He suggested Fringe, so it was a close call.

Cheers John.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Within the last 6 months I (we?) have watched a GoT finale so bad that a petition was laid before parliament to have it remade and a Black Mirror that has given up on any pretense of being clever.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Absolutely. I don't know how they're getting away with it. It even has some significant numbers that keep factoring into things, the one aspect of Lost they've actually repackaged with a little more subtlety.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Within the last 6 months I (we?) have watched a GoT finale so bad that a petition was laid before parliament to have it remade and a Black Mirror that has given up on any pretense of being clever.
    It's different watching the final season of something you're invested in to watching a new series that's shit from the start but you watch it anyway.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched The Boys over the last day or so and it's pretty good. Abysmal title, but if you like MCU/Deadpool type stuff or The Umbrella Academy then it's definitely in that vibe. Some neat characters in there.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone remember the article someone posted here, Reg I think, about a girl who claimed she was raped, then 'admitted' under questioning she was making it up?

Netflix is releasing a dramatisation of it next month.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What’s it called? Ched?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty certain that wasn't me, John.

Looking forward to the Breaking Bad film. There's also a Sopranos film coming next year.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Pretty certain that wasn't me, John.

Looking forward to the Breaking Bad film. There's also a Sopranos film coming next year.
    It wasn't. Just checked and it was Toby. Not sure why I thought it was you.

https://www.propublica.org/article/f...lievable-story

There's the article for anyone interested. It's a bonkers story, and from what little I've read about the series it doesn't sound like going in with some knowledge of what happened will ruin it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I watched The Boys over the last day or so and it's pretty good. Abysmal title, but if you like MCU/Deadpool type stuff or The Umbrella Academy then it's definitely in that vibe. Some neat characters in there.
    Seen a bunch of clips on Youtube, and the actor playing Homelander seems fantastic.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    Seen a bunch of clips on Youtube, and the actor playing Homelander seems fantastic.
    That's Lucas Hood from Banshee.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    He plays the role perfectly.

Most of the casting is spot on to be fair. Karl Urban's wobbly accent is a bit off but Urban's ace so it's fine.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That's Lucas Hood from Banshee.
    I haven't thought about Banshee in a while. I didn't actually realise it was him until I just read that!

Lucas Hood would kick the shit out of Homelander, super powers or not. That guy took on all comers.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    He plays the role perfectly.

Most of the casting is spot on to be fair. Karl Urban's wobbly accent is a bit off but Urban's ace so it's fine.
    He just sounds Kiwi. Dunno why they tried to make him British.

He'd make a great Wolverine I think.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one of these things where I don't think him being British (from what I remember) has any significance to the character and it certainly doesn't in the show so just let him do his own voice.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching Limmy's Show on YT. dude is talented. though i swear to god i don't understand him at least 30% of the time, and all the other actors are even more difficult to follow. Surely that can't be a typical Scottish accent?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, no, I am aware that it pretty standard. it's just mind-boggling how different it is to me. It's like when i was trying to understand Alex Ferguson. Just takes a bit longer

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They pronounce J as Jai. Madness. Limmy streams are decent as well. If that's the way his career's going to go, at least he's got some comic timing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been up here about 16 years now and there's occasionally somebody's accent I just can't figure out what they're saying or a random bit of slang that I've somehow not heard in all that time and you can't even work it out from context.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Boys is very good, two episodes in. Hadn’t read the comics before so I’ve just picked up the lot for my holiday this week.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is Facebook Watch?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m enjoying Rick & Morty but the pace of the episodes is so quick. If I find myself replying to a text or whatever in between I then have no idea where the plot has went within that 2 minutes and have to rewind.

It is very well done though, the amount of different characters and information they pack in without it being too much is impressive.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salvation is decent brainless watching. Only 2 series too which is ideal for starting late.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is Battlestar Galactica getting another reboot?

And more importantly why is NBC's own streaming service (sigh) called Peacock?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you not noticed the logo?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Battlestar reboot?

Jesus. I wonder what universe they are basing it on now

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The network itself is nicknamed The Peacock because of its colourful little fan logo.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Have you not noticed the logo?
    I really hadn't. And until I Googled it I couldn't have told you what it was even with this information in mind.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It used to be a lot more prominent.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having seen it, I think I would pay for John to watch the I-land.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll watch the first ten minutes and get back to you with my rate.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'm mid-way through a slow re-watch at the minute, and I've changed my 'irredeemable cunts' opinion a bit now I know how everyone develops/ends up and can notice the subtle character changes (catastrophic weight gain) better. I've also got a new entry for most under-viewed YouTube video (especially since half of those are me).
    And we're done.

I love Paulie.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    And we're done.

I love Paulie.
    Even though it's obviously not what it's primarily intended to be, The Sopranos would potentially make it into my top ten TV comedies of all time. It's genuinely hilarious on a pretty regular basis.

"Nobody has AIDS! And I don't want to hear that word in here again!"

The whole follow up exchange to this where they bring Finn in and collectively grill him about Vito and the security guard is also great.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuckin' slander if you ask me.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'And it wouldn't be no cock either' gets me, along with his face when Patsy brushes past.