0 Thread(s)
    In a word, you want to be fabulous.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Tell more re llama.
    There are many possible approaches to the llama problem (and it is a problem). Some people are able to just blast through the basement door with two glasses and a bottle of llama prosecco and dance the night away, but that approach isn't for everyone and it certainly wasn't for me. You can convince yourself quite easily that there isn't a llama there at all, or you can just leave it buried down there and hope that it will starve to death or crawl out through the ventilation ducts. I've left mine down there for bloody years awaiting one of these outcomes, because the fact is that having a llama in your basement makes life about 20 times more difficult than it would otherwise be. However, eventually I think you have to come to accept that the llama is there, for better or worse, and he's your llama, so you'd better look after him.

I am still in the exploratory stages of llama husbandry, however, so the rest I suppose we will or won't find out later.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long ago did you start dropping hints about the llama here? I've thought you might have a llama for quite a while now.

Do your family know about your llama?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we the only ones that know about the llama? Have others fed it yet?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Llama also a bender?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    How long ago did you start dropping hints about the llama here? I've thought you might have a llama for quite a while now.

Do your family know about your llama?
    I haven't deliberately dropped hints really, they've just fallen out like change from my pocket, but I've been doing that for years probably, on a very occasional basis.

No, they don't, I'm sure it won't be a problem when they do but that isn't really the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Are we the only ones that know about the llama? Have others fed it yet?
    No, a select few 'irl' know. Doing it here is useful practice.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Is the Llama also a bender?
    Maybe he is, and maybe people like you are among the myriad reasons he is still in the fucking basement.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Maybe he is, and maybe people like you are among the myriad reasons he is still in the fucking basement.
    Aye, I didn't want to "get offended" on your behalf in a patronising guardianista way, but now you've said that I feel happy to tell @Manc to fuck off.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    better at dealing with the llama in the basement, better at coming up with relatable euphemisms.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite fancy a house if brexit and / or the oil price don't cause mayhem. Need to work out what to do with my flat is that's the case though.

As with any year i really do need to make more of an effort to find a girlfriend. I'm too content with own independence but it's not a long term sustainable solution as more and more friends settle down.

Going to need to start doing some cardio too or my arteries are going to become like jelly.

Think the key to finding a girlfriend will mean dating a few girls who are in late twenties/early thirties.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reach 5,750 posts.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I've got Ableton and there are decent synths on the market for not much. The DJ stuff is my mate's, but they'll be at mine for the foreseeable future. When he moves and wants them back I'll make a decision whether to get my own. If I had a decent laptop I could just get a controller, though, but that'd be a bit of a backwards step.
    So you’re spinning proper records then? Big ups, I only ever do it digitally with a controller (but it makes it infinitely easier to B2B with a mate)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Aye, I didn't want to "get offended" on your behalf in a patronising guardianista way, but now you've said that I feel happy to tell @Manc to fuck off.
    He'll tell everyone this afternoon now you've got his back.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, who struggle with completely grasping Jims subtle British allegories here, is that basically him 'officially' coming out to us on here?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think llamas are native to Sussex.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, in the coming year I want to get back on track with living a bit more healthily. I have been for maybe 3 years now (mostly), but the past 2 months have been a bit lavish. Normally I aim to train 5-6 times a week these days and I haven't been, which has had bad effects on sleep, stress, etc. So that. Also, I'm having another kid, so that'll be the main event of 19 and basically trying to understand how to deal with that. It would be great if we could move flats, but I'm not super stressed about it for now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    So you’re spinning proper records then? Big ups, I only ever do it digitally with a controller (but it makes it infinitely easier to B2B with a mate)
    Vinyl? Nah, its a Pioneer XDJ-RX with a couple of his speakers. Still pretty expensive so I'd rather get a laptop and synth first.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to be less anxious in 2019.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Applying to grad school, so getting into a good one would make my year there
    What are you going for? I am trying to remember and I want to say computer science, or maybe some crap like finance.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    What are you going for? I am trying to remember and I want to say computer science, or maybe some crap like finance.
    I did math & computer science for my undergrad, but I’m going for statistics / econometrics for grad school. Essentially I want to go into policy econ eventually instead of cucking around in the Silicon Valley tech scene

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I nailed it. Good luck with that.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for my plans and goals, I think it can be easily summarized: don't fuck up.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knock off at least half a stone will be the immediate goal, that won't begin until next week though.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I nailed it. Good luck with that.
    Thanks fam fam

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to a psychiatrist, work with an occupational therapist, become a properly functioning human being capable of accomplishing personal goals for the first time in seven years

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    For me, who struggle with completely grasping Jims subtle British allegories here, is that basically him 'officially' coming out to us on here?
    He did it in another thread, but yes.

The board has already made zink jokes, and I don't think anyone has said it's better for him to come out to us rather than on us.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floyd, mate, what is the big deal? Tell me to STAY IN MY LANE, but does this really alter your life? You are an otherwise fully-formed adult man, and nobody around you worth a wank will care. The only thing that has changed is that, instead of being destined to marry an awful woman with a fat arse who 'loves gin' and refers to you by your full first name, you now have some weird sixties living arrangement with a 'straight-acting' solicitor to look forward to. Kick the llama out and get on, faggot.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the manner of that post is a bit blunt I think the over arching message is true.

I'm glad TTH is there as practice, but if your family are likely to be good with it, as you'd hope, everyone else should accept it or they deserve to be fucked off.

Suspect you'll feel amazing when you're just getting on with your life and not worrying about what others do or would think.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being different is always preferable to fitting in, as long as you have some mates

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Floyd, mate, what is the big deal? Tell me to STAY IN MY LANE, but does this really alter your life? You are an otherwise fully-formed adult man, and nobody around you worth a wank will care. The only thing that has changed is that, instead of being destined to marry an awful woman with a fat arse who 'loves gin' and refers to you by your full first name, you now have some weird sixties living arrangement with a 'straight-acting' solicitor to look forward to. Kick the llama out and get on, faggot.
    I don't want to get all Owen Jones on you because that's not my outlook on these things at all, but you've just informed me that it is no big deal, and then told me I am due a 'weird sixties living arrangement' and called me a faggot, both in the same paragraph.

Everybody deals with it differently. Some people will have found it a lot easier than me. Others will find it even harder than me and hide it for life. Unlike most of history I don't have a legal imperative to hide it so I'm quite relieved with my lot. That said, you can only deal with it using the resources you have. If you're not an extroverted, self-confident person anyway (and I am not) then I don't know how you would magically acquire these qualities for the purpose of dealing with one of the bigger existential issues that a person will face. I am smart so I can rationalise it very effectively and not hate myself for it, but I don't have a way of easily projecting that into the wider world. Maybe other people do (although with this issue there will be a lot of confirmation bias involved), in which case I'm very happy for them.

You have to drag yourself over social and psychological coals in a way that I don't think straight people ever have to. On each of the three occasions I've told real people, and even for the first two or three posts I mentioned it on here, I have felt sick with nerves both before and afterwards. People may talk a very good game, these days, and the chances of being beaten up or called things are far less than in the past, but there are still soft signals all around you that tell you you're not welcome in the mainstream of lived experience. Then there is the reality that the facts of life, relationship/reproduction wise, actually are against you. All these things need to be conquered and it isn't just a case of jumping out of the proverbial wardrobe, like Alan Partridge in that episode but this time dressed as a princess.

This isn't meant to be a misery-me victim whinge. What I'm going through is far easier than, say, what Magic is going through, or what Mellin went through, or anything like that. But I can tell you that it very much is a big deal.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it helps my aunt and uncle who’s social views could be described as regressive racially, sexually etc. Or just summed up as ‘well brexit’ Got over my cousin being a lesbian within 24 hours. Love conquers all.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a big deal because society is still a massive dick, people are better but they're nowhere near great.

Doesn't help that people are still not meant to have llamas in their basement and if they do it's automatically against the norm.

Just look at how it's still a fucking huge taboo in sport when it shouldn't matter one bit.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    If it helps my aunt and uncle who’s social views could be described as regressive racially, sexually etc. Or just summed up as ‘well brexit’ Got over my cousin being a lesbian within 24 hours. Love conquers all.
    It's not about fear of bad reactions (although they do happen, though probably not to me), it's fear of the unknown and having to get your own head around it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Basic stuff, mostly (health and career). I've been learning to DJ recently, but tbh it's not as fun as I thought it'd be. You can't enjoy a party whilst DJing, and it's difficult to even enjoy your own set. I want to produce but I can't afford a new laptop atm which is holding me back, and that takes us back to the new job thing.
    Get producing some early jungle/tech-step - modern DNB mash ups. You'll be signed to Metalheadz in no time. Aspire to be Dom & Roland innit.

Good luck with it though man, I love the sound and enjoying that the old vibe is finally making a comeback after several years of bleepy vocal inane wank. Do a mix or two and I'm happy to give them a listen.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for life, I'm off to my first musical festival in July, in Romania - https://electriccastle.ro/.

Aiming to move jobs, keep up with the fitness, continue to knock drink on the head. Been clean from weed for a year so time to tackle another vice. Write a bit more and try and get some more things published. Things are on form with the missus, life is fucking amazing right now.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to get all Owen Jones on you because that's not my outlook on these things at all, but you've just informed me that it is no big deal, and then told me I am due a 'weird sixties living arrangement' and called me a faggot, both in the same paragraph.

Everybody deals with it differently. Some people will have found it a lot easier than me. Others will find it even harder than me and hide it for life. Unlike most of history I don't have a legal imperative to hide it so I'm quite relieved with my lot. That said, you can only deal with it using the resources you have. If you're not an extroverted, self-confident person anyway (and I am not) then I don't know how you would magically acquire these qualities for the purpose of dealing with one of the bigger existential issues that a person will face. I am smart so I can rationalise it very effectively and not hate myself for it, but I don't have a way of easily projecting that into the wider world. Maybe other people do (although with this issue there will be a lot of confirmation bias involved), in which case I'm very happy for them.

You have to drag yourself over social and psychological coals in a way that I don't think straight people ever have to. On each of the three occasions I've told real people, and even for the first two or three posts I mentioned it on here, I have felt sick with nerves both before and afterwards. People may talk a very good game, these days, and the chances of being beaten up or called things are far less than in the past, but there are still soft signals all around you that tell you you're not welcome in the mainstream of lived experience. Then there is the reality that the facts of life, relationship/reproduction wise, actually are against you. All these things need to be conquered and it isn't just a case of jumping out of the proverbial wardrobe, like Alan Partridge in that episode but this time dressed as a princess.

This isn't meant to be a misery-me victim whinge. What I'm going through is far easier than, say, what Magic is going through, or what Mellin went through, or anything like that. But I can tell you that it very much is a big deal.
    This is genuinely something I don't understand, so, beyond my usual writing style, I'm trying not to be all flippant about it; but why does anything have to be projected or extroverted? Externally, what changes? What new levels of confidence are required, bearing in mind you seem to live your life largely as you want anyway? At the risk of steering right into the ditch, you sound in some ways like you have quite rigid notions of what gayness entails that you struggle to reconcile yourself with. I can see why you have wrestled with it, but now you have taken it on board... So what? You are just you (I reserve the right to mock your character and faggotry, lest I exile you from the mainstream), but now something which is inconsequential to everybody other than you is different.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos also Jimmy, fair play lad.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is genuinely something I don't understand, so, beyond my usual writing style, I'm trying not to be all flippant about it; but why does anything have to be projected or extroverted? Externally, what changes? What new levels of confidence are required, bearing in mind you seem to live your life largely as you want anyway? At the risk of steering right into the ditch, you sound in some ways like you have quite rigid notions of what gayness entails that you struggle to reconcile yourself with. I can see why you have wrestled with it, but now you have taken it on board... So what? You are just you (I reserve the right to mock your character and faggotry, lest I exile you from the mainstream), but now something which is inconsequential to everybody other than you is different.
    It means nothing more than that you like men and not women, but people are not islands and evidently that state of affairs has consequences.

At the end of the day, though, it's not an intellectual argument, it's based on emotion and whatever newfangled term equates to the 'soul'.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 02-01-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not about fear of bad reactions (although they do happen, though probably not to me), it's fear of the unknown and having to get your own head around it.
    Stepping out of that identity comfort zone safety net would trigger fight or flight or freeze responses both emotionally and physicaly. Im sure taking small risks like you are doing is the safest way to go about it kinda like exposure therapy.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus christ, Lewis, are you fucking autistic.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First half of the year is getting ready to keep a baby alive, second half of the year is hopefully not messing it up too much. By 2020 I assume Google will automate the rest.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and one last thing as I don't wish to hijack the thread boring on about me, but 'faggot' and its variants are bad words. You may not offend me by using them, because I may be arrogant enough to think I'm tough as old boots and can handle it, but as long as those words are in circulation, there will be people like me out there, younger and more impressionable people, being scared to believe in who they are because they are hearing and seeing those words in circulation, and that is an environment you are creating.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly do find that hard to believe.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I, as a straight man, don't see what difficulties you'd really face."
    Here's some difficulties.
    "I find those hard to believe."

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever wider societal issues are caused by my choice of words on an internet forum, my original point was in reference to him specifically.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh so *that's* what a llama is.

Good on you mate in all seriousness.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any word on Alpacas? Good on you Jimmy.

2019 for me is to just get out more and do more stuff. Terrible start so far. I've not left the apartment for 2 days. The internet is too engrossing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet Lewis reads Jimmy's posts in a different voice now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wants his name changed to Alan.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis is the most self-centered person I’ve ever known