Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rate Your Year 2018

Well chaps, how's your year been?

Previous revisions below with older years linked within. Interesting to read back.

Hope you've all had a decent year (soz MJ).

2017: https://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/showt...ur-Year-(2017)

2016: https://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/showt...ight=Rate+year

Foe:

Positives:

1. Financially very stable. Got plenty of savings, my mortgage is down and I've got a load of shares I can liquidate if needs be. I don't worry about money and that's something I'm very fortunate about.
    2. Parents are happy and healthy in retirement.
    3. Sisters cat is really, really cute and good fun to be around. Enjoyed having him around whenever I've gone home to visit family.
    4. Work isn't awful. My job is pretty dull but ive gotten good at not letting it get me down.
    5. Enjoying lifting weights a lot and getting a bit stronger again.
    6. Had a couple of pals weddings / stag dos and it was great fun. It's nice seeing my friends happy in life with their partners.

Negatives:

1. Gran 1 is really past it and dementia has taken away anything that resembled the Gran I remember. Not pleasant to see, but it really is going to destroy my mum when she passes. My other Gran is still relatively healthy but there's definitely warning signs of dementia too, which is sad.
    2. I'm still stronger on one side. Seems as though it's a long term problem which is slightly concerning.
    3. Work did another re organisation which is a pain. I'm staying in the same job and if I get trapped there for another two years I'll be pissed.
    4. My flat is worth way less than I paid for it. It's a sunk cost now, but it's still a bit annoying. All the political stuff going on, the oil price and energy circle means I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade to a new house.

Should've given this a rating. Solid year for me, give it a 7/10. Would be nice to meet a nice girl with similar interests. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be on the radar, so pumping the occasional fat chick will have to suffice.

How's your year been? Highs and lows?

Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    2017:
    +ves

1. Financially doing really pretty well. I don't worry about money whilst some of my friends stress out about it and seem to struggle month to month. I live a simple lifestyle, but since having my flat c. 3 years, I've knocked 40% of the capital off. Pretty satisfying.
    2. Got a promotion at work again which has also contributed to point 1 above.
    3. Actually did some decorating to my flat which makes me feel a bit better about it. It's by no means perfect, but it's more like a home now.
    4. Dad retired so my parents can actually enjoy life a bit.
    5. Enjoy the simple things in life - watching sports, film, TV and going to the gym.

-ves
    1. Joey the cat got a mouth tumour and had to be put down. Wasn't easy or pleasant coming home and seeing him wanting unable to eat. He was 16, but it's still tough since he'd been around so much of my mature life.
    2.Both gran parents health is deteriorating. My mum's mum has really bad dementia/alzheimers to the point where she doesn't recognise us anymore until we explain who we are, repeatedly. Fear my dad's mum is going the same way as her memory is starting to falter.
    3. New job is something I have zero interest in doing long term. I need to make sure I'm there for as little time as possible.
    4. Work has been torrid - so much going wrong. That's not unusual, seemingly.
    5. I'm too independent. I can satisfy myself in my own company far too easily which means I don't go out of my way to make plans with friends. Not being particularly fond of alcohol doesn't help with that.
    6. Some slut crashed into me at a roundabout and spoiled a week of leave I had as my car was being repaired and I had to get physiotherapy so I could actually rotate my head/neck properly. Physiotherapy is bloody sore.
    7. Zero interest in a relationship. Met a few girls over the course of the year but the thought of being in a relationship and all that goes with it does not appeal. Also realised I don't particularly want kids.
    8. Definitely a bit fatter than I was and not as strong. Also seem to be significantly weaker on one side. Just ignoring that and assuming it's a trapped nerve or something rather than something more sinister. SCHMART.

Meh, not a great year but definitely not as bad as the two before. 2018 will probably be a year of shit work, but a good opportunity to build some wealth. I'd like to get to a point where I can rent my flat out and buy house in 4 or 5 years time so want my mortgage down about another Ł30-40K before I do that.

:
    Last edited by Foe; 24-12-2018 at 04:16 PM.