User Tag List

Thread: UEFA Cup Winners Cup coming back?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UEFA Cup Winners Cup coming back?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45483586

The bastards will probably give us something new though.

Actually they should just give us the Intertoto back:

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More games > Less games

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read it would be like a special needs comp for small countries.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 16 more clubs so wouldn't be too diluted. Could be decent.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old format was only 64 clubs. Two rounds and then the Quarters. The best format, basically.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love a Cup Winners Cup return. There was something about the CWC that put it above the UEFA Cup in my eyes. I still remember Chelsea beating Stuttgart in the CWC 98 clearer than I do the Invincibles era. Maybe it was just the novelty of English teams doing well in Europe but it felt rather monumental. Zola scoring the winner probably helped.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only memory I have of the competition is Alan Smith vs Parma.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    The only memory I have of the competition is Alan Smith vs Parma.
    Rages me that I was too young for the only European success we've ever had and the only time we've got close since was that kick in the knackers v Barca, a night that's remembered more for the 15g's of weed I got taken off me by the cops than anything else.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Rages me that I was too young for the only European success we've ever had and the only time we've got close since was that kick in the knackers v Barca, a night that's remembered more for the 15g's of weed I got taken off me by the cops than anything else.
    That cup winners cup run was glorious. Was only shortly after the English clubs got back in wasn't it? I think the year before I remember them doing horrendously in the first ever Champions League, getting walloped by Benfica.

Edit, that must have been 2 years before as they won the league in 1991, Leeds would have been in the following year. Did they lose to Rangers in that?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cup winners cup run was glorious. Was only shortly after the English clubs got back in wasn't it? I think the year before I remember them doing horrendously in the first ever Champions League, getting walloped by Benfica.

Edit, that must have been 2 years before as they won the league in 1991, Leeds would have been in the following year. Did they lose to Rangers in that?
    It was 94 IIRC, they won the league in 91, couldn't do it the next year, were closer to relegation than league winners half way in so had a team meeting in the pub and said that no-one was allowed to go out on the lash the night before a cup match. They did the cup double. I've absolutely no experience of them but the way that side is talked about by others and themselves, that team would be up there with Milan/Liverpool/Ajax if they weren't half-cut 50% of the time.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 94 IIRC, they won the league in 91, couldn't do it the next year, were closer to relegation than league winners half way in so had a team meeting in the pub and said that no-one was allowed to go out on the lash the night before a cup match. They did the cup double. I've absolutely no experience of them but the way that side is talked about by others and themselves, that team would be up there with Milan/Liverpool/Ajax if they weren't half-cut 50% of the time.
    I remember the cup double now becsuse they did Wednesday twice. And Steve Morrow made the mistake of getting in Tony Adams shoulders after the Rumbelows.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a night that's remembered more for the 15g's of weed I got taken off me by the cops than anything else.
    Yiiiiikes. How'd you manage that?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    Yiiiiikes. How'd you manage that?
    I was smoking weed, some off duty police officer came over. Then they searched my pockets and found more weed.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only time I was ever stung with it I got punched in the side of the head by some big mucker of a Garda.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok buddy.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only time I was ever stung with it I got punched in the side of the head by some big mucker of a Garda.
    Thinking back to it, I don't think I ever got a fine for that one so he probably just toddled off with his wife for a grand old night.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking back to it, I don't think I ever got a fine for that one so he probably just toddled off with his wife for a grand old night.
    We were only kids and kept saying we thought it was a fag we got off some lad in the pub, ended up letting us off.
    My mate was off his box had got paranoid on the bus to Dublin that everyone was an undercover cop so he wouldn't let us spark up til we got there. Literally as soon as I clicked the lighter around the corner lands the motorbike.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were only kids and kept saying we thought it was a fag we got off some lad in the pub, ended up letting us off.
    My mate was off his box had got paranoid on the bus to Dublin that everyone was an undercover cop so he wouldn't let us spark up til we got there. Literally as soon as I clicked the lighter around the corner lands the motorbike.
    lol. I remember one time it was me and a girls birthday so we're smoking this fat blunt after we both picked up a sack. We're sitting at Long Bench (so called because it was at one time or another, the worlds longest bench) and see the cops from the other end and turn it out. They walk by us, stop and turn around to ask us where the weed at. We told them that some chavs were smoking and they'd done a runner. They weren't buying it and start to search us.

They ask me to take my jacket off and spread my arms so I reach into my pocket and as I'm taking my jacket off and throw about 12g's of weed on the ground, I heard them hit the ground clear as day but I guess the cops were checking our IDs instead of paying attention. The girl I'm with has a similar amount on her and they're going through her handbag when they reach the stuff which was zipped up in a mini-make up bag. At which point she pulls the smartest on the spot move I've seen up to that point and tells them that's her tampons and personal hygiene bag which, as male police officers, they aren't allowed to open. So it was call out a 3rd cop to deal with a 17 and an 18 year old smoking a blunt that they still haven't found or let it go.

They let it go. Those were the days.