0 Thread(s)
    How was his prediction terrible?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    It's one thing to make terrible predictions. But to start a thread just to show how terrible your own prediction was? Takes some chutzpah.

I like it.
    I saw it coming a full year and a half ago. I'm so ahead of everyone.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QE Harold Flair View Post
    I've got the feeling that Wenger will be a lot more appreciated when whoever comes next is in place.
    If you get the next appointment wrong, yeah, of course he will be.

If you get it right, not so much.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like when Smiffy began predicting United's imminent downfall in about 2007 (possibly before then, pre-me members?) .

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite different from predicting a seemingly midas-touched manager cracking up under pressure. I was there, doing just that.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He CRACKED UP at Madrid, who sacked him because he didn't have the Midas touch. Plus he did win the title last season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he win the title last season?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious as to how this situation could develop in a way that you would concede your prediction was wrong. Say he gets it all together, puts together a strong finish to the season and Chelsea winds up comfortably in the top four. Are you wrong then? I mean, apparently winning the title isn't enough, so I'm curious as to what it would be.

Or does it just get repeatedly backdated into some kind of eternal prediction that you'll hold onto until he eventually leaves?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not about the winning, it's about him cracking up. I've warned him I have my eye on him - as I say, perhaps that's what's got to him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It's like when Smiffy began predicting United's imminent downfall in about 2007 (possibly before then, pre-me members?) .
    Harry Kewell was way ahead of that curve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He isn't. Clough actually had charisma, where as Mourinho is an act.

Oh and Clough did things with shit teams.
    IV think people don't understand how weak was that Porto. It was the weakest Porto of the last 20 years! At least in investment. Mourinho got them in 5th place!!

His persona is an act. The comedy villain.
    This is media making not his. Basically media needed someone to make Wenger or pepe look good. Some lunatics say it is Nike usual way of working, sell betters if you are the good side.
    Guess what? Both are/were Nike bound.
    See pep not so good press after moving to bayern/Adidas.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Mourinho is a genius based on winning the big pot with Porto, then the obvious comparison is Lord Benitez. His Liverpool side were far worse than Porto, and they didn't get the benefit of playing some numpties in the final. He hasn't spent the rest of his career lolling about in the money though, and he's obviously a nut. He'll probably out-do The special One at Real, which will be quite funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are kidding right? Comparing any Porto with Liverpool is insane, comparing that Porto with Liverpool should grant you a stay in the nearest psychiatric Institute.

Mourinho had 2 offers to get out of Porto. One from Liverpool and later one from Chelsea. Both impossible to resist. This just show the difference between clubs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking about the teams of players, not the overall historical standings of the clubs. It's the former that determines outcomes, sadly.

That Liverpool one was dreadful. Look at the XI they put out in the final. Kewell, Traore, it was upsetting that Igor fucking Biscan didn't get a game. It was a miracle in every regard they won it, and then went on a run of bizarre quasi-dominance in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't all Milan players careers went in straight downfall after that final? I thought I read it somewhere.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Which are the 'defensive' posts in this thread? (other than this one)

You and John Arne have been gagging for a seethe out of me all day, bless your little regional hearts.
    You've been scrambling ever since the Wenger/Pep/Mourinho/Enrique thread. Not to mention the fact that everyone already had the seethe box ticked with the 'but but Arsenal' stuff as the Southampton game was crumbling.

Don't get me wrong though, it's actually better. Shows you might be human after all.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did win the Champions league two years after that with much of the same squad so saying that all of them went to shit after that final is an bit of an overstatement. Most of that 05 final lot also were in the winning side in 2003, so you could argue that Milan side was pretty srtong during that era throughout.

@Saint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    They did win the Champions league two years after that with much of the same squad so saying that all of them went to shit after that final is an bit of an overstatement. Most of that 05 final lot also were in the winning side in 2003, so you could argue that Milan side was pretty srtong during that era throughout.

@Saint
    Good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw the interview and he is right. Rant or not, he is absolutely right like he was about Wenger.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually though that was Mourinho's most well argued interview since he's been back outside of the 'chelsea never get decisions' stuff. .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I touched on it in the other thread but his problem at the moment is that when he has had success he has done so with the absolute respect of his players. In his first run at Chelsea he could get away with the sort of treatment Matic has had, because other players would look at it with complete faith in him and probably expect that player to sort themselves out a bit. Now, he just risks alienating the player and a lot of the rest of them thinking he's being a dick. This seems to be largely what happened at Real Madrid.

The 'natural' core of the side is largely gone now that Lampard, Drogba and Cech have left. It'll take time to build up a new one and its not going to happen with the side in CRISIS. It's a team with confidence at an all time low and I think it has been a misstep by Mourinho to try to fix that by talking plainly about how crap the players are. I mean, he's completely right, but it seems too many of the current squad lack the mental strength to really step up and prove themselves in the face of that. That's what makes it really hard to see where the turnaround is going to come from.

They really need to go on a run of winning games from here to get that confidence back - they should be able to do that against Aston Villa, but you wouldn't even really back them for the following away games to Dinamo Kiev and West Ham on recent form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Mourinho defense, matic is crap. Good he acknowledged that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be too pleased if my boss was taking no responsibility whatsoever when things are going wrong time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourinho
    "Physically there’s no problem. Tactically it’s the same. Clearly it’s an attitude perspective of some individuals. And when you have individuals with that unstable attitude in terms of motivation, desire and commitment, you will pay."
    So he's said that the conditioning is the same, tactical choices are the same (both his responsibility). But of course they're not what needs improving, and of course they should work two seasons in a row no matter what the circumstances...

The 'motivation' thing is possibly a motivation tactic in itself. But it's not working. And no doubt he'll blame the players again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's right though, the biggest problem is that almost none of the players are performing to their ability, and none of them are stepping up and leading the team when things go wrong. He's definitely misjudged in declaring that publicly, but he's absolutely right that the attitude and motivation is lacking.

Of course another factor in that, that can be placed more at his door, is that he stretched a thing squad about as far as it could go last year and then didn't really strengthen it over summer. So there probably is a case to be made that a lot of them are just genuinely knackered.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelsaint View Post
    In Mourinho defense, matic is crap. Good he acknowledged that.
    He was outstanding for the first half of last season - probably Chelsea's best player - but from about New Year onwards he's been rubbish. The worst part is that when he is rubbish, the whole team seems to be rubbish because his position is so important to the way they play.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    You've been scrambling ever since the Wenger/Pep/Mourinho/Enrique thread. Not to mention the fact that everyone already had the seethe box ticked with the 'but but Arsenal' stuff as the Southampton game was crumbling.

Don't get me wrong though, it's actually better. Shows you might be human after all.

The Arsenal thing was a comment about even when we're total shite, we still beat Arsenal. If you read it as anything else you've probably got to go on a course or something.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you've ignored/missed my point there, Toby.

He isn't doing his job if they're not motivated. It's partly up to the players themselves, of course, but he can't pretend it isn't part of his job.

If they're knackered, then he's made mistakes in pre season and during the season regarding training.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    But you've ignored/missed my point there, Toby.

He isn't doing his job if they're not motivated. It's partly up to the players themselves, of course, but he can't pretend it isn't part of his job.

If they're knackered, then he's made mistakes in pre season and during the season regarding training.
    I didn't miss it, I wasn't arguing. I said he was right about their attitudes being bad, but that it's the wrong thing for the manager to be saying (especially publicly).

And yes, if they're knackered it's the fault of the manager. That's exactly what I just said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say though that there's only so much the manager can do to motivate players. There are a few in the Chelsea team who clearly have pretensions of being considered int he elite class of players, but have won nothing to actually demonstrate that ability. Hazard is the stand out but he's not really alone. They should be motivated simply by a desire to win, but half of them don't look that bothered. There does come a point where rather than holding their hand through a tough run, the manager does just have to question their desire to win, and for some of them that time has probably come. The problem now is that it's just destroyed their confidence and they're not reacting with the 'have to prove him wrong' streak that he presumably hoped for, largely because they're just not actually good enough.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming he does get sacked, where does he go next?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Germany.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's any chance of the job coming up then Portugal while they've still got Ronaldo.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Portugal or PSG. The Oberkommando der Bayern wouldn't want him causing a scene, and he's too big for Italy.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we actually see him being sacked? He's right, there's no one better for Chelsea than him.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking Portugal as there's no point doing that once Ronaldo is past it.

But after that and PSG, that's it, isn't it?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSG would be a very Mourinho move.

Someone German other than Bayern would be a lot more interesting.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Can we actually see him being sacked?
    Given we've all seen him be sacked, yes, yes I can.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose there's Man City as well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not going to get sacked.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Reg he won't go anywhere without shitloads of money backing him up. Taking on Bayerns dominance with a plucky underdog isn't exactly his thing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Given we've all seen him be sacked, yes, yes I can.
    And they spent 6 years regretting it and hurtling from random manager to random manager (albeit with a decent level of success).

Won't happen imo.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the job became available when he was I could actually see the FA offering him the job and I reckon he'd probably take it. I know he's talked about wanting to leave international football until he's older and won't miss the day to day stuff as much but that might change if the offer was on the table.

EDIT: If they keep floundering he'll get sacked. They shouldn't but I can't see Abramovich thinking that far ahead.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why it would be interesting.

Whereas PSG would be incredibly boring and predictable.

I think he's more likely to quit in a fit of rage rather than be sacked.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll be in line for a honking pay-off if he gets sacked, so there is no way he'll walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    @Reg he won't go anywhere without shitloads of money backing him up. Taking on Bayerns dominance with a plucky underdog isn't exactly his thing.
    Do you really believe in what you write or you just want to look cool?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's done his grand tour bit. If he is sacked (he won't be), he might even take a few years out and then take the Portuguese national team. Or maybe even unfinished business at Benfica, who knows.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mourinho is a class A boring cunt. He can fuck off and take his repulsive version of football to the continent.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    (he won't be)
    Is this because you think he'll turn things around quick enough or you think he won't get sacked because he doesn't appear to be kicking off internally?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should fuck off to the MLS.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is this because you think he'll turn things around quick enough or you think he won't get sacked because he doesn't appear to be kicking off internally?
    A little of both but mainly because there isn't anyone better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "There isn't anyone better" hasn't stopped Abramovich in the past, so it seems like wishful thinking to suggest Mourinho is safe without a significant turnaround in form.