User Tag List

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: [World Cup 2018] Semi Finals

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say put money on France 2-0 but with the run I'm on I'd back everything but.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The fatigue was mental, not physical, in that we were completely flattened when they scored, which is why resting players in a 7 game (if that) tournament is pointless.
    This.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fatigue was mental, not physical, in that we were completely flattened when they scored, which is why resting players in a 7 game (if that) tournament is pointless.
    The same thing happened when we conceded against Colombia, and if I'm ultra critical it kind of did against Tunisia as well for a while.

They are good players and were set up well, but against the experience and yes, phonics, LEADERSHIP of people like Perisic, Mandzukic, Modric etc they just came heavily second in the big moments. Alli I don't mind and I don't think he was ever fully fit at this tournament, but Jesse Lingard, for example, was demonstrably out of his depth in a 'big game' and you could also say that about Kane and others.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Modric could run a record setting marathon time and still play a 60 yard outside the boot pass onto a sixpence on the finish line. I just don't think that's 'leadership'.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a risk of overreaction here. England were largely very good, which is a damn sight better than they've been for a while. You've got a popular team and a platform to build on. Don't do the classic post-tournament evisceration - just enjoy that you're really relevant again.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    There's a risk of overreaction here. England were largely very good, which is a damn sight better than they've been for a while. You've got a popular team and a platform to build on. Don't do the classic post-tournament evisceration - just enjoy that you're really relevant again.
    That's the long lens take, but we will have to be about 200 times better than this to ever win a World Cup as the draw will never open up in this way again, so not to reach the final is properly crushing.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The same thing happened when we conceded against Colombia, and if I'm ultra critical it kind of did against Tunisia as well for a while.

They are good players and were set up well, but against the experience and yes, phonics, LEADERSHIP of people like Perisic, Mandzukic, Modric etc they just came heavily second in the big moments. Alli I don't mind and I don't think he was ever fully fit at this tournament, but Jesse Lingard, for example, was demonstrably out of his depth in a 'big game' and you could also say that about Kane and others.
    But then Gerrard, Lampard etc were exactly that for their clubs at least.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    But then Gerrard, Lampard etc were exactly that for their clubs at least.
    They didn't actually do it for England though, whereas Mandzukic et al actually do do it for Croatia.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the long lens take, but we will have to be about 200 times better than this to ever win a World Cup as the draw will never open up in this way again, so not to reach the final is properly crushing.
    But the team has really obvious scope to get better. "Leadership" is in no small part the experience and confidence of having been there before. Half the players in the side I'd never heard of two years ago. Two players got their first England goal in this tournament. It won't have to be like that next time.

Yeah, you need to improve. But there's heaps of scope for that to happen naturally. You've got a strong base and time to build. They'll only get better.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not coming home.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm being reasonably level-headed, I just take umbrage with the notion that we'll definitely kick on from here, when we might well not.

It was a huge occasion and we did so well to get there, but we looked like losing that game for 60 minutes and had absolutely no answers whatsoever. Had the draw been different we could have easily drawn Croatia in the second round, lost and nobody would be talking about us being challengers in two and four years time. I guess a bit of perspective and appreciation for how easy the draw was is what I'm after.

And I know I'm right, because from the internet, to the call-ins, the tv studio (Roy Kean aside), people are a bit confused as to why we weren't good enough.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But the team has really obvious scope to get better. "Leadership" is in no small part the experience and confidence of having been there before. Half the players in the side I'd never heard of two years ago. Two players got their first England goal in this tournament. It won't have to be like that next time.

Yeah, you need to improve. But there's heaps of scope for that to happen naturally. You've got a strong base and time to build. They'll only get better.
    As will everybody else. Back to the point I've just made, play a good team in the second round (we didn't meet one this time until the semi's), go out and no one is talking about us winning it in future.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've spent all my life before this tournament watching dramatically more talented England teams put out dramatically worse tournament performances than this one, so I can only feel happy overall with how we've done.

I mean there was a time we could field a team of:

David James
    Ashley Cole
    Rio Ferdinand
    John Terry
    Gary Neville
    Joe Cole (I guess)
    2 of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard
    David Beckham
    Wayne Rooney
    Michael Owen

and we still looked shitter then than we have this tournament.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As will everybody else. Back to the point I've just made, play a good team in the second round (we didn't meet one this time until the semi's), go out and no one is talking about us winning it in future.
    Well everyone else won't, because many teams have older players who will have retired/declined by the next time. There's nothing to say the players in the next generation who replace them will be as good/better.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Well everyone else won't, because many teams have older players who will have retired/declined by the next time. There's nothing to say the players in the next generation who replace them will be as good/better.
    And players that will have replaced those older and retiring players.

Do you really think this England team exists in a bubble that will make only them improve and no-one else? And I've not even mentioned the draw in that response.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand what you're trying to say in that first line since I've already addressed it with my second sentence.

I think this England team has one of the youngest and least experienced squads of the big teams. They therefore have more room for growth going into the next few tournaments than most others. There are obviously exceptions (e.g. France) but looking at a team like Croatia today, Modric and Mandzukic will be gone by the next World Cup and the chances of them being replaced by better players are basically zero.

Teams don't all just improve forever, which is basically the argument you are making. Some teams will benefit from the next few years as their players get older and more experienced and will improve, others will suffer from big players retiring/aging and get worse.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Player for player this is one of the weakest England sides in memory. They have punched above their weight massively in getting to the semi final. To declare they're never winning a tournament off the back of it seems an odd conclusion.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More crushing than a loss in the final?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be more excited about some of the kids who haven't played yet than about 50% of the current team.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yeah obviously Angel Gomes will be the one captaining us to glory in 2022, that goes without saying.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neville with the face of someone who's had to put up with Roy Keane his entire life.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yeah obviously Angel Gomes will be the one captaining us to glory in 2022, that goes without saying.
    "Well, lads. We trained for this in the 2018 heatwave so we're used to this humidity."

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wright imitating Keane's accent was a bit pathetic. He'd be in big shit if he'd done that to someone with a Nigerian accent or something rather than Keane's Irish one.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And players that will have replaced those older and retiring players.

Do you really think this England team exists in a bubble that will make only them improve and no-one else? And I've not even mentioned the draw in that response.
    I think they have a much higher baseline to improve from than most other sides. And a much higher ceiling. Compare them to Spain, who have a fantastic theoretical player pipeline, but looked utterly bereft of ideas, and relied on almost the same names that got wiped out four years ago. Nobody is saying England has locked down 2022, but they've got enough talent to build towards it.

You're just whinging for no reason now. Just enjoy being relevant for the first time in a long time. They didn't have to win in order to not be failures.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wright imitating Keane's accent was a bit pathetic. He'd be in big shit if he'd done that to someone with a Nigerian accent or something rather than Keane's Irish one.
    We've always been fair game, I was only talking about it the other day sure.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    That's not an Irishness thing that's a white thing. Just look at the fucking dopey Eastern European meerkats.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest surprise for me was Pickford actually being alright in net.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uploaded July 7th:
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The midfield got done over yesterday which let Croatia control the game. The subs came too slow and made little influence.

It's been an enjoyable tournament though and now we can play Belgium in another pointless game.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Giggs, I loves ya, but you don’t half sound like a Liverpool fan at times.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Giggs, I loves ya, but you don’t half sound like a Liverpool fan at times.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol monghow

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to wind the clock back and see if there was any anti-Welshness going on in 2016.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, is there any reason why Slaven wasn't in the ITV studio? Maybe Keane was subbed in.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching the game. Croatia during the second half dominated the game. Modric was amazing and he should win the Ballon d'Or on his performance alone. Someone on here pointed out a few games ago that Kane just does not run that much during game. That was evident last night. If he was injured and could not run at full speed, surely England are better off brining someone else in instead of Kane. I thought it would be Croatia who would fatigue first given they have gone through to extra time in every round but it was England who looked tired the most.

Croatia was the better team and deserved to go through. England has slobbed their way to the semi-final. I thought they would beat Croatia but I was completely wrong. Pickford and Tripper are both the standout performaners in the tournument for me. Suspried Welbeck didnt get playing time when England needed goals as his England record is decent.

I hear all 'the lads have done us proud talk' but Croatia was there to be beaten, and England fucked it up.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Southgate was good with substitutions at any point in the tournament, but that's something for him to work on as his man management seems flawless.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Lingard and Rashford tried the same shit as Panama did against England. This is when Croatia are celebrating their goal:

https://i.imgur.com/oy0eBzI.gifv

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahahahahaha pointless you fuckers pointless. Was so funny listening to you all talk up your mediocre Sweden performance as a sign of things to come. Your team just isn’t very good.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England was just not good enough. Came across a team who could actually play. Surprised me. I had England winning by a landslide. Wrong on that on.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Ahahahahaha pointless you fuckers pointless. Was so funny listening to you all talk up your mediocre Sweden performance as a sign of things to come. Your team just isn’t very good.
    Czech Republic 0-0 Northern Ireland
    Germany 3-0 Czech Republic
    Czech Republic 0-0 Azerbaijan
    Czech Republic 2-1 Norway
    San Marino 0-6 Czech Repulbic
    Norway 1-1 Czech Republic
    Czech Republic 1-2 Germany
    Northern Ireland 2-0 Northern Ireland
    Azerbaijan 1-2 Czech Republic
    Czech Republic 5-0 San Marino

Or is this the point where we find out your nationality was faked along with your tennis fantasies?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst I agree that Croatia completely took hold of the game from the 2nd half onwards, if Kane and/or Lingard just put their chances away, we'd be cruising into the final. I still can't really understand how Kane misses the 2nd attempt.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    Whilst I agree that Croatia completely took hold of the game from the 2nd half onwards, if Kane and/or Lingard just put their chances away, we'd be cruising into the final. I still can't really understand how Kane misses the 2nd attempt.
    Because he plays for Spurs so he bottled it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a sentiment that lends itself to thinking we'll get stronger on the back of this, but the reality is it might be as good as it gets for this crop.
    Indeed, we are short in midfield. Hopefully someone like RLC or Foden kicks on and we get a real commanding midfield which can control and see games out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why he didn't use Loftus-Cheek after Panama. He is a twat but he's also the perfect impact sub for a tiring Alli/Lingard.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modric has to win the Balon D’or if Croatia win. Champions League/World Cup double and the best midfielder by a landslide the last three years.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Czech Republic 0-0 Northern Ireland
    Germany 3-0 Czech Republic
    Czech Republic 0-0 Azerbaijan
    Czech Republic 2-1 Norway
    San Marino 0-6 Czech Repulbic
    Norway 1-1 Czech Republic
    Czech Republic 1-2 Germany
    Northern Ireland 2-0 Northern Ireland
    Azerbaijan 1-2 Czech Republic
    Czech Republic 5-0 San Marino

Or is this the point where we find out your nationality was faked along with your tennis fantasies?
    The Czech team is a joke but no one would ever claim otherwise, that’s the difference.

Also, faked tennis fantasies? I faked my age and a preggo girlfriend but i never faked the tennis stuff

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England shouldn't be happy or content with going out to Croatia.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaps.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    England shouldn't be happy or content with going out to Croatia.
    If he actually said those things he should be sectioned.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dejan Lovren with the Ether

Quote Originally Posted by Lovren in an interview with beIN Sports.
    It's something special for me,From my point of view, people were saying I had a difficult season but I don't agree with that.
    I showed that I took Liverpool to the Champions League final and now with my national team we are in the final. I think people should recognise that I'm one of the best defenders in the world and not just talk nonsense I will say.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...s-in-the-world