User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Football, Tactics and Glory

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed promotion barely in the season after relegation. Managed to get promoted by one point the second time around. Now in the Third League I think I should be able to avoid relegation. My defense looks rock solid, so I should be able to scrape by on 0-0s.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent silly money to keep Gildersleeve and 2 defenders from retiring, but I kind of regret it because one of the strikers I bought in to one day replace him and Newnham is smashing it. We're pissing Division 2 so far despite there being no one worth signing. Part of me thinks I should have just let the oldies ride off into the sunset and pumped the money into the stadium, but assuming we go back up, we'll probably need them.
    Last edited by Browning; 09-07-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent 11m on contracts

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second season in division 3 and still no promotion but way more comfortable. There are a couple of players I'd probably look to sell just now for a mega profit if there was fucking anybody worth buying in the transfer list. Mahow do you ever do the thing where you spend money to reveal all available players in a division?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done it in the past.

It's pointless really, you get much the same results as the normal list.

I don't think I ever actually bought someone off them. Anyone decent was too much money and then when you're in the premiership everyone on them is shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First season back in the "Second League" and we seal our first league title. It came down to the final day with us needing to avoid defeat to Wolves (who have always beat us both in the Second and First leagues) to win the title, which we managed with a 1-0 win. As a result we claim the title with a record of 17 wins, 7 draws and 2 losses (1 to Wolves in the first half of the season, and a shocking 2-1 loss to Plymouth who went on to be relegated). We scored 39 goals (1 short of Cardiff) and conceded only 9 (5 fewer than Wolves). Cardiff and Wolves (who came down from the First League with us) also bounce straight back up.

Despite our dominance, only 4 players featured in the end of season standings. Stevens bagged 25 goals to finish 1st in the league, Archer was 2nd in assists with 11 while his partner in crime, Bone, came 4th with 7. Our keeper was top of the league with 38 saves.

Following the season I sold my control striker and Archer and replaced them with cheaper options, using the money to finally upgrade my stadium to 10,000 seats. I could have completely redone my squad with that 3.5m... but once again, long term, I feel we need the seats.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you sim any games, Browning / Mahow? I know they're only short but you still fair rattle through the seasons.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll sim the occasional game but I try to play them all.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if they’re totally meaningless which I haven’t had for a few seasons. I’ve had a couple of weeks off work and not much to do so that’s probably why, I’m sure I’ll slow down soon.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half way through my second attempt at the Championship and my record is 7 wins, 6 draws and 2 losses (compared to 4-8-3 last time out). The big problem is scoring goals. We've scored 12 and conceded 5 over the 15 games. We have the best defense in the league, we just can't score anywhere near enough.

Somehow, we're 3rd in the league, 4 points ahead of 4th place QPR and crucially, 11 points above the drop zone (compared to 5 at this stage last time). We won't get promoted despite the good start, I'm sure of that, but staying up should happen. Taking nothing for granted after how we fell off a cliff last time though.

Edit- Crazy transfer window- I signed Jorgensen, a 22 year old midfielder with 86 passing for 811k (selling my current one for about 500k to offset it) and then sold Stevens despite him being the top scorer in Division 2 last year (he was struggling this year with only 4 goals in 15 games) for about another 500k, giving me the £2m I needed to sign Pillinger, a 92 accuracy striker aged 25. He'll be the longterm successor to Gildersleeve almost certainly (Gildersleeve himself is our top scorer this year with 7 in 12 having only managed 8 in 13 a league below last year).
    Last edited by Browning; 10-07-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm top of division 3 after 5 or 6 games by shedding most of my imagination and just feeding the ball to my 62ACC striker.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I've been doing the entire time

No idea what else you can do really. Obviously you can use skills to get in behind sometimes, but other than that I just pass to the main striker and hit and hope.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best season so far:

Thought we had fucked it after our SW (Armer) got injured, we had been leading for most of the year but with two games to go we were tied on GD but that penultimate game was against West Ham and we won. They'd have needed a 5 goal swing in the final game but we shat out a 0-0 to win it.

Second cup win now

Didn't see us getting to the final as we usually turn to dribbling mongs at some point but we were so close to winning the whole thing.

Clothier and O'Neil

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and here is the first team:

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ian I bought a global list to show how shit they are:

Three players, only one of which is actually good but he's too old in my opinion and far too expensive.

Now here is part of my normal list (there are another 6 or so names for a total of 25), nothing for me but I'm a couple of weeks into the new season so the better lads have been taken:

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have bigger images? I can't quite see those.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a 4k monitor, nonce.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe some sort of embiggening tags?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Half way through my second attempt at the Championship and my record is 7 wins, 6 draws and 2 losses (compared to 4-8-3 last time out). The big problem is scoring goals. We've scored 12 and conceded 5 over the 15 games. We have the best defense in the league, we just can't score anywhere near enough.
    Once again, the second half of the season collapsed compared to the first. We end up with 10 wins, 14 draws and 6 losses. We missed promotion by 2 points... which feels just like the time we were relegated by 2 points last time out. If we could improve slightly, we'd be promoted.... but oh well.

We earned 59 end of season points with Gildersleeve being the 3rd top scorer, Wildgoose having the most tackles and Skegg having the most saves in the league and 3rd most in the cup (impressive given we were out after 2 simmed games).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learning to use the wide forwards (RF and LF) has made me so much better. Finally have a way to get in behind defenders. Whether it translates to promotion or not, who knows, but I feel we should improve in front of goal.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I had trained up a RF but it appeared to then not happen so not sure how I fucked up. An AM is good for getting the ball in behind, especially with layoff pass.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I find with Layoff pass is that EVERY team has a sweeper with insane defense and if I layoff next to him it's an instant tackle. Maybe there's a way around it, but it frustrates me.

Right now I'm convinced we'd win nearly every game if I could keep my main 2 strikers fit. Gildersleeve is able to get in behind with his Rainbow Faint/ability to move forward into open spaces for free and Pillinger can get in behind with the "break in" free ability. The issue is, they're both knackered all the time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a 7-6-2 record last season at the half way stage was not enough to take us up, this year our record is 9-5-1. This is enough to put us 2nd in the table. We're 9 points ahead of 4th place Bradford. We have to get over the line this year...

Edit- Paid 200 "glory" to keep Gildersleeve until he's 40. I'm just not ready to move on.
    Last edited by Browning; 13-07-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again my season came down to the last day to determine if I could earn promotion or not. We were cruising towards it until Gildersleeve picked up a season ending injury with 3-4 games to go. Pillinger was exhausted and so we basically had to soldier on with no striker for a few games, shitting out 0-0s until Pillinger returned for the final game. By then, we were basically up, needing to lose to relegated Charlton and West Brom to make up 7 goals to deny us. In the end we won 1-0 with Pillinger showing I was right to rest him and firing us up.

We finished 2nd with 15 wins, 13 draws and only 2 losses. We only managed 28 goals in 30 games (the joint least in the league excluding the relegated sides) but shockingly conceded 8 fucking goals all year. The 2nd best defense conceded 23. We bossed it there.

We only got a pathetic 9 glory at the end of the season somehow. Pillinger was 8th in goals with 14, Wildgoose was 8th in tackles with 43 and Skegg 10th in saves with 17.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Olympic Kicks.
    So much this

Won my first 2 Premiership games 2-0 and 2-1, scoring an Olympic Kick in each game.

The 2-0 was against also promoted Derby and was routine, but the 2-1 was fucking tough against West Ham.

I'm even tempted to use 'glory' to make my Olympic Kicker up to level 2 in the skill.... but not sure it's worth it when I could just wait a year.

Just beat Chelsea 2-1, only their 2nd defeat of the season

Unfortunately my Sweeper, who is comfortably my best defender, is probably going to retire in January, unless I use glory to stop him. May be forced to do so because he's so vital.
    Last edited by Browning; 14-07-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game at Anfield just now, 0-0 and on my last turn but my striker was offside. Did a fake kick to draw out a defender just so he could nip back into the defenders space, picked him out and smashed it home to relegate Liverpool. Over the 13 seasons I've played Liverpool have won the title 3 times and finished 2nd 4 times with an odd 12th and 11th place finish in between some of them, but never been close to this bad. We did the double over them and Chelsea and took 4 points off Man U. Unfortunately certain teams, especially Tottenham, absolutely raped us.

2 games to go and we're 3 points behind Man City in the final UEFA Cup space. We survived relegation really early, but I don't expect we'll make it to Europe. Would be fucking nice though. We've improved a fair bit it feels and staying in this league, even if we don't make Europe, will do wonders for us financially.

Edit- Missed Europe by 1 point. Fuck you Man City.

Over 34 games we won 14, drew 12 and lost 8, scoring 39 goals and conceding 31. We banked 90 glory at the end of the season with Mauleverer (my 3rd striker who mainly uses the Olympic Kick) being the 4th top scorer in the Cup (in which we reached the Quarters and lost on away goals), Pillinger being the 7th top scorer in the cup and my keeper Skegg making the most saves in the league and 2nd most in the cup.
    Last edited by Browning; 14-07-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second season in the Premier League and we improve from 8th to 2nd and a Champions League spot. We actually started really badly and I thought we might be in trouble, but after a few games something clicked and we looked unbeatable except for a few frustrating games where it just wouldn't go in no matter what we did. We ended up with a record of 20 wins, 11 draws and 3 losses with 39 goals scored (6 teams managed more, with the champions, Man United scoring 58) and an incredible 14 goals conceded (the next lowest was 23 by 6th placed Man City). It's still in front of goal where we need to improve, but we are getting there.

78 Glory was added at the end:
    Mauleverer- 10th highest scorer in the league with 13 goals (he's actually my worst striker, but he has Olympic Kick )
    Selth- 5th in the league for assists with 9.
    Wildgoose- 2nd in the league for tackles with 50.
    Skegg- 2nd in the league for saves with 41. 7th in the cup for saves with 3 (over 2 games as we were stunned by Championship side Wolves in the 1st round).

Absolutely fuck all on the transfer list once again, so I'll probably keep my 10m in the bank and save it towards the 22m stadium upgrade. I'll probably need to use glory to renew my Goalkeeper until he's 40 because I swear I never see any on the transfer list ever.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe Mahow won the title with 68 points. I have 73 points with 6 games to go and I'm only 2 clear of Man U who won't fuck off.

I'm also 5-2 up against Man U in the FA Cup Semi Finals, and 1-0 up in the Champions League Semis over some Turkish team. If we beat them, we'll likely face Man U in the final...

Edit:

Season ends and we win the treble.

League:
    We ended up with a record of 28 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses. One of the draws came in the last 2 games which I simmed after the title was won. We won it with a 1-0 win (Tyler with the goal) at Old Trafford. We end on 87 points to Man United's 82.

FA Cup:
    After beating Man United 5-2 at home and 4-1 in our first league meeting, they created some fear going into our league meeting and Champions League final by beating us 2-1 in the second leg. It was still a routine win and we went into the final against Everton where goals from Mauleverer (Olympic Kick), Tyler (Rainbow Faint) and Pillinger (Power Shot) sealed a routing 3-0 win.

Champions League:

The hero of our league meeting, Tyler, opened the scoring against Man U in the final with a power shot after 22 minutes. Man United's danger man, Youngman, netted an equaliser after 40 minutes. However, the cup was sealed when Mauleverer smashed home an Olympic Kick in the 88th minute. It was a close game, but we definitely deserved it.

We earned a massive 212 points at the end of the season for the following:

Maulever: 3rd top scorer in the league with 25, 2nd top scorer in the FA Cup with 11, 9th top Scorer in the Champions League with 8.
    Drapper: 7th most assists in the FA Cup with 2.
    Selth: 7th most assists in the Champions League with 2.
    Wildgoose: 8th most tackles in the League with 38.
    Drapper: 2nd most tackles in the FA Cup with 11.
    Jay: 5th most tackles in the FA Cup with 10.
    Noirault: 8th most tackles in the Champions League with 14
    Skegg: 6th most saves in the League with 22. 4th most saves in the FA Cup with 6. 3rd most saves in the CL with 12.

Wildgoose, Skegg and Gildersleeve are all on "glory" contracts until they are 40, but both Wildgoose and Gildersleeve missed basically the entire 2nd half of the season injured and we were absolutely fine. We just need to find a back up keeper for when Skegg retires, if I even carry on from here.
    Last edited by Browning; 18-07-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Promoted to the Second League in second place.

No idea how I'm liable to get on. Seen my first million pound player in the transfer list.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, glad this hasn't totally died.

I've been trying to decide whether I want to keep playing my save. Seemingly trophies stopped working for me at some point so I didn't get any for winning the 3 cups I won, nor one for the Treble, which is taking the piss. There is one for winning the treble 2 years in a row and while I think my team could do it, it probably just wouldn't work.

I briefly started a file on Hard but after getting thumped 6-0 or so in each of the first 5 games I decided I couldn't be bothered. Seemingly that's common, but yea, what a load of shite.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume on hard it doesn't make the AI smarter or anything but just make the RNG more of a dick?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the RNG, but your starter players are utter, utter shite (like 8 for their best stat Vs players with 40) so you haven't got a prayer. You also have no money, no glory and no skills/position specialisations on players. You're completely out classed and supposedly it takes a few seasons to even begin to rectify it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First game in Second League and....

The fuck is that shit?

That's worse than The Box.

EDIT: Okay can't get the link to work from Steam:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1448875131
    Last edited by Ian; 23-07-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I've set my defense up similar to that and in almost half a season I've conceded 1 goal which was away at Real Madrid in the CL (1-1 draw). Scored 31 and conceded 0 in the Premiership so far. It's too easy really, but I just want to get the achievements I was robbed of last season. Not convinced they're working still though because I've been using the Canon Kick deliberately for an achievement and it still says 0/5...

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these the sponsor goals you're trying to get or Steam achievements?

I haven't had a single one of those sponsor contract things yet but in the demo they were regular even at low levels.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steam achievements. I don't think you get sponsor goals outside of the tutorial in the demo, other than the ones they set at the start of each season.

I'm going to be pissed if I win the treble and don't unlock the achievement for doing it twice in a row because of the fact the achievements didn't work last season. They seem to be updating now, but it still didn't give me the ones I missed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The follow up to my treble season was basically a replica. Once again was faced Man United in both the FA Cup Semi Final (winning 2-0 and 1-0 I believe) and the Champions League Final (winning 1-0 with an Olympic Kick). This time it was Bournemouth in the FA Cup Final (who also finished 2nd in the league) but we smashed them just as easily as I smashed Everton, and got all the steam achievements I was missing. Most of the ones I need now are exclusive to hard mode so maybe this save ends here, although I would like to play on until I earn enough money to complete the stadium achievement.