User Tag List

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 1612

Thread: What have you bought recently?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just pay for t'internet and Real Debrid/IPTV everything else.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Virgin offered me a 'deal' of £86 for that package last week which I lolled at and instrucuted them to cancel. They came back yesterday with £70. At one point the other day they offered me TNT sports for £18 a month and when I said no they suddenly had a deal for £1 a month

Just keep your nerve and the prices tumble.
    I did this last time. I was paying £89 originally and it was due to increase to some £140. A call to customer services told me that a deal for £105 was the absolute best they could offer(the advisor had 'run out' of better deals. I lolled at it and said no thanks and called back the next day to be told £110 was the best offer. Questioned how it was that someone offered me a better deal the day before and they told me they get so many deals they can offer out per day from their manager. Even pointed out the same package was still the same £89 I was paying on their site. They gave me the whole sorry you're not a new customer bit, so I also went through to cancel.

The guy at cancellations offered £95 for it. I said no thanks, I'm still going. Got a call maybe 2 days later to offer me it all for £80, with them bumping my internet up to 1gb and I went yeah alright then.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I’d just get internet and dodgy tv.

Currently on the hunt for a new hoover, trip to curry’s wasn’t helpful. The Samsung ones seem good but the way you empty is a faff. Held the £750 Dyson laughed and put it back.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got an hour today to make the call up to cancel.

Virgin offered me a 'deal' of £86 for that package last week which I lolled at and instrucuted them to cancel. They came back yesterday with £70. At one point the other day they offered me TNT sports for £18 a month and when I said no they suddenly had a deal for £1 a month

Just keep your nerve and the prices tumble.
    They gave me the TNT is an extra £18 per month shtick too. First woman at retentions I spoke to could only give me my same package again for £132 a month apparently. I lolled that off and she immediately sent me to cancellations. This woman told me I could have the same package minus TNT for £91 a month. I said while I appreciate that's a decent come down from previous, that's still some near £30 a month more than I pay now. It is the same offer that is available to new customers, but new customers also get £250 bill credit or a 43" TV.

In reality, a decent broadband connection is all I myself really need, but for the ease of use for the kids/Mrs, having sports channels would be grand. I told her to cancel and she did immediately. They noticeably put up a lot less of a fight this time compared to last.
    Though last time I was a little screwed for choice if they didn't give me the call back, this time I'm not so bad. I look forward to see what they can offer me if they do call.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked around and the best offer I could find in my area was Sky 500mb broadband for £33 a month, nothing else. Retentions came back and offered me 1gb broadband, full tv package including Sky and TNT sports, cinema, on demand premium sky stuff, Netflix and the Volt benefit to my O2 phone contract of £10 off my phone bill a month, for £65.

So I reckon if you call the phone bill and Netflix stuff £20 a month on their own then it's essentially £45 a month for broadband that is twice as fast as sky with all the TV channels.

They might call you tomorrow, they rang me about 6 on a Saturday.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do love a spicy stick. OIOI.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Biltong is fucking amazing

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they dog treats?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High brow jerky.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked around and the best offer I could find in my area was Sky 500mb broadband for £33 a month, nothing else. Retentions came back and offered me 1gb broadband, full tv package including Sky and TNT sports, cinema, on demand premium sky stuff, Netflix and the Volt benefit to my O2 phone contract of £10 off my phone bill a month, for £65.

So I reckon if you call the phone bill and Netflix stuff £20 a month on their own then it's essentially £45 a month for broadband that is twice as fast as sky with all the TV channels.

They might call you tomorrow, they rang me about 6 on a Saturday.
    I'm lucky I can get skys(BT) fastest package here too so I can just call them on it if it doesn't go well. I don't even mind cutting the speed down because 500mb is fast enough for anyone anyway really.

Was it an 0200 number that called you? I missed a call from one yesterday.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    020 3980 4396 was the retentions number that they used to call me.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    020 3980 4396 was the retentions number that they used to call me.
    Job done. Called me back and offered me my same package again for £86/m, but if I dropped only the internet down to 500mb it's £55/m. If I dropped TNT sports too it would have gone to £47. We have a 2nd box upstairs which is why my offer is slightly different to yours, but I've kept TNT for now.

Saves the faff of BT having to come out and fit the line to ours too.

It was due to go up to £136/m. The exact package we have is currently £113/m to take out if I were a new customer, though I would get the new TV/bill credit to bring that down a little. That'd rise to £172/m after 18 months too.
    That they're freely able to chuck it me for £55/m, with me not even really bothering to haggle further, shows how much pure profit they must be making of some people.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah there are people being absolutely fleeced, glad you got sorted.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en...black-a266b015

Walking more and more now and I'm tired of having porous trainers with all the rain about.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved the single drawer air fryer so much that I palmed it off on my Sister and got one of the Ninja double drawers which is a serious upgrade. They're beasts.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Cheap and cheerful bike for a few weekend drives.

It was fun for a few years, but now I need something a little more suitable to city driving.

Let me introduce you to the Dat Bike Quantum It is surprisingly quick, and has a range of about 250km, which is way more than I need. Only top speed 100kph, but again, more than enough for driving around this city. 41L trunk and 1hr to charge from 0-100km.

Edit: still keeping the CBR150 for some fun.
    Last edited by John Arne; 19-03-2024 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, tosspot.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never click links from Baz, how have you not learned this lesson yet?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that guy parking and getting out of his car a complete psychopath? A man writing in agony 10 feet from him with a missing leg seems to elicit no reaction whatsoever.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably needs a second to register. Speaking of registering, the login prompt saves my bacon on these links.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for a tablet for a would-be 8th birthday present.

I've not had one since the Amazon Fire 7 from back in the day, but I remember the app store being a bit shit. Is there a point looking outside of Samsung here, or should I just get the Samsung?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Looking for a tablet for a would-be 8th birthday present.

I've not had one since the Amazon Fire 7 from back in the day, but I remember the app store being a bit shit. Is there a point looking outside of Samsung here, or should I just get the Samsung?

Both my kids (7 and 3) have Samsung S6 lite. I'll sometimes use them too for watching TV

Looks like it's had a 2024 update too

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fire tablets here. Avoid. The newer [couple of years old now] ones are wank. The first iteration we got some years ago were quite good too, so these were extra disappointing.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's bad form to criticise other people's parenting methods, especially from a useless wasteman like me, but 3 feels far too young to have an ipad

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not necessarily bad form. But it probably is when you don't have kids and it definitely is if you'd be the first to complain if said 3 year old was sat/running around in a pub/restaurant screaming.

That said, 3 probably is a bit young.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 is too young to give kids these things but we are where we are and were I a parent I've no doubt I wouldn't be able to do anything differently.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    15 is too young to give kids these things but we are where we are and were I a parent I've no doubt I wouldn't be able to do anything differently.
    Lol why not? Just don't give them an iPad? You ain't half melodramatic sometimes.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Lol why not? Just don't give them an iPad? You ain't half melodramatic sometimes.
    It's rotting their attention spans and concentration for anything else. And that's before I even get into the horrible shit they're exposed to when they hit the late child/early teenage years.

Maybe you're right though and caring about how well our kids are prepared for life and teen suicide is a bit dramatic.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It's rotting their attention spans and concentration for anything else. And that's before I even get into the horrible shit they're exposed to when they hit the late child/early teenage years.

Maybe you're right though and caring about how well our kids are prepared for life and teen suicide is a bit dramatic.
    No I'm asking why you wouldn't be able to do anything differently you spastic

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies for misreading the post, but my brain couldn't compute why a question with such a blindingly obvious answer had been asked so I read it as something else. Have you spent any time with kids? Do you remember being one?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Sorry teacher, my child won't be reading any of the e-books they've been asked to read as part of their homework unless you walk your arse to Waterstones".

It's 2024 Igor. Even if technology does have its downsides - and it definitely does - it is a part of everything. And no, if you were a parent you wouldn't stop your kids from being like all the other kids. Firstly, you aren't morse stubborn than a hard-done-by 5 year old and secondly, you don't want them to get bullied. Stop talking out of your fanny lad.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 6 year old son doesn’t have his own tablet and won’t for along time. Yev is absolutely right about the downsides of it. We have an old iPad that he and I look at Lego sets and watch football highlights on, and he uses that for his numeracy education games too. We’ll probably let him use it more gradually as he gets older. I also plan to put him on my laptop with a mouse connected so he’s at least vaguely familiar with that setup for school / work purposes.

You don’t have to give them something just because their friends have it. Just be consistent and don’t sit staring at your own device while they silently beg for your attention every night.

Not boasting but my kid can sit perfectly well while out for dinner without requiring tv or a game on a phone or tablet. It can be done but once you let the genie(s) out of the bottle it’s very hard to put them back in.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    "Sorry teacher, my child won't be reading any of the e-books they've been asked to read as part of their homework unless you walk your arse to Waterstones".

It's 2024 Igor. Even if technology does have its downsides - and it definitely does - it is a part of everything. And no, if you were a parent you wouldn't stop your kids from being like all the other kids. Firstly, you aren't morse stubborn than a hard-done-by 5 year old and secondly, you don't want them to get bullied. Stop talking out of your fanny lad.
    Yeah look, the kids who weren't allowed to watch telly until they were 16 etc were obviously viewed with significant suspicion and definitely got bullied for it, and I definitely think some parents have a naivety that they can basically insulate their kids from the outside world (or at least think they can without turning them into weirdos) but I'm not having that they'd be bullied by other 5 year olds for not having an iPad, and even more dubious that you can't just say no without it causing some kind of meltdown.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shots fired by CJay Love it.

So many little snipes too TTH’s proud parent population holding crisis talks as we speak.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got our daughter a Kindle with the kids sub largely to keep her occupied while travelling for holiday, I'd recommend it but she can take it or leave it so it's not a problem, if she was obsessed with it and screaming the house down if she couldn't use it it'd be a different story.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CJ is bang on. My 4.5 year old uses my wife's iPad for homework and that's it, and he doesn't even ask to use it otherwise.

One of my friends has a 5 year old that sits glued to his tablet the instant he gets home from school until he goes to bed. Because actually interacting with them/parenting is too much effort, clearly. Borderline child abuse.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My (almost) three years old does not have a tablet.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like to know who's going to be keeping JoJo Siwa in sex change operations in the land of the pious indeed.

Everything in moderation until they hit secondary school, get a phone and become completely addicted to it, but adult society is hardly in a position to preach on that front, and as if we were any different. I could easily hole myself up for days playing computer games in the 90s. Yeah it would be great if they were all out playing outside with the neighbourhood kids or whatever, but the only ones that do that now end up running county lines operations before they're teenagers.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least they're showing entrepreneurial spirit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a registration for this pop up in my email.

But then I know adults who lament having sold their whatever CS gun skin which is "now worth 30k" for peanuts years ago.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the cocomelon on and leave them to it, lads.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Yeah look, the kids who weren't allowed to watch telly until they were 16 etc were obviously viewed with significant suspicion and definitely got bullied for it, and I definitely think some parents have a naivety that they can basically insulate their kids from the outside world (or at least think they can without turning them into weirdos) but I'm not having that they'd be bullied by other 5 year olds for not having an iPad, and even more dubious that you can't just say no without it causing some kind of meltdown.
    I'm not saying they would be, and similarly to everyone else, mine barely use our tablet or laptop. My 8 year old does for homework and my 5 year old does if we're in the car / waiting room / all inclusive hotel restaurant disasterclass. Because it keeps his arse in his seat, rather than him getting on everyone's (read: my) nerves.

Then there's my nephew, who is autistic and can't function if there's anything outside of the norm going on, unless he has his headphones and Skibbiditoilet - or whatever he is obsessing over this month - on Youtube.

You can't apply a one size fits all rule to this shit. And if you did try to stop them having any exposure to it at all, the bullying would start at some point. 8? 9? 10? I don't know. But it would. Then there's the competitive nature of the school-mums, where "my timmy isn't allowed an iPad" would smash, in true culture war style, into "oh... My Kian-Ian and Tyler-Tyler have the latest iPads, and they just love their Gucci cases. It's educational, they have apps for...".

It's a mine field.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 22-04-2024 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Igor not thinking kids would get bullied for something trivial is lol.

Mate, when we were kids you'd get bullied if you didn't have Pokemon cards/football stickers/the latest shoes etc etc. Kids are brutal to other kids.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My nephew mostly uses his tablet for car rides. If we're visiting my mam and dad, he's not touching that until he's back in the car.

And yes, kids are cunts. It's a universal fact and it takes years to sort that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my Sister and Brother-in-law are a good test case for this stuff. He's old school and thinks kids should be outside at all times, falling off their bikes and getting covered in shit, whereas my Sister is less bothered but I think sees the merit in that. As a result they held off for as long as they could from the kids having all of the screens, then when they first got them they had them in the communal areas of the house, but my nephew and niece are now 14 and 12 respectively and not only has the horse bolted, it's completely vanished, possibly in a Findus lasagne somewhere.

Thankfully they both seem reasonably well adjusted - she's very confident, he's incredibly bright, so all in all it looks like job partway done and bullet dodged to this point, but one thing I learnt from observing all this unfold over the last decade and a half is that unless you're going to die on that hill as a parent and accept all manner of unintended consequences (some of which Spikey has mentioned), while being seen as an absolute weirdo by your own kids and all of their friends, there simply comes a time when you can no longer fight it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall people getting 'bullied' for trivial things at my school. People got bullied for smelling like shit or coming out as gay, but having your brother's old trainers wasn't going to get you any sustained grief.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I don't recall people getting 'bullied' for trivial things at my school. People got bullied for smelling like shit or coming out as gay, but having your brother's old trainers wasn't going to get you any sustained grief.
    Fuck me did you go to private school or something?

Just a couple of the tamer things from my school. There was a girl who got off with a lad and supposedly when he felt her top half a cut up tennis ball fell out. She was then called ‘tennis ball tits’ for the last three years or school. Even to this day if I go to my mates about her first thing that gets bought up is that.

Second a couple of twins who had coats which had 4 stripes on them rather than being Adidas. Again they got absolutely buried as the ‘four stripe twins’ for the rest of school.

That’s then without delving into all the normal shit that used to happen with bullying.