User Tag List

Page 68 of 236 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 11775

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a donning you provided, Magic. True man of the people.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boss thinks Whatsapp is called 'What's Up'. Just properly pissed myself laughing at that, I think out of sheer emotional release.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking about Magic getting on the bus (they took his car off him) crying and then going home to literally get bummed off his girlfriend makes me laugh.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't even understand in what way Magic thinks he won.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If work is that bad you’d rather just save yourself the effort and distress of telling them and instead just think sod it and leave “on good terms” because you’re completely done with the company and never want to think about your time working there ever again.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least take a shit in the kettle and stick it on before you walk out the door

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably gave them all passive aggressive blowjobs on the way out. Teach them to mess with The Custard.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...ed-to-19-march

I now qualify for this. Likelihood of my employers rehiring+furloughing me in the midst of an appeal to terminate my previous contract?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I naively was completely honest on the exit interview from my first job out of uni. It ended up with my boss losing her rag and screaming that she "wanted me out". A week later she gave me a lovely card signed by all the staff. Yeah, she was a bit odd.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last job never even did my exit interview. I assume they knew exactly what my answer was going to be but didn't much fancy hearing me actually say it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Koreans didn't give me an exit interview. I would have told them all about the benefits of herd immunity and how contact tracing was a bad idea.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then left the interview five minutes early.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    My last job never even did my exit interview. I assume they knew exactly what my answer was going to be but didn't much fancy hearing me actually say it.
    I’ve never had one and am on my 5th job.
    I'm a twit

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You donned 'em, mate.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, you can't really lose unless your new job is completely shite.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting a three month contract on Monday. The plan is to eventually work from home, but in the short-term I'm excited to find out how offices are organising use of toilet and kitchen space.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Block out the middle urinal.
    2. 1 in 1 out kitchen policy.

Probably. I really, really hope I can find an excuse to get some lunch in town. Probably end up having to bring my own bait and find a corner.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just not using the kitchen, and I'm going to a toilet on the other side of the building which nobody else is currently using. I bring in 4 litres of water a day to get me through.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that to bathe in?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's to spray people who come near him.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Cooplands van is still turning up at lunchtime, I'll be so fucking chuffed.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The van at ours is still coming. His dixie land siren sounds a little melancholy, if truth be told.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours just honks madly. If I hear it, I'll be straight down.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only Monday, but I am already a completely spent force.

At the start of this, work was OK - whether all in the office or on rotation, our team had a good togetherness. Since they all got furloughed on 1 April, it just feels like a solitary treadmill, day after day, each day busier than the last, with the only thing to work towards being the chance to go home and sit on the sofa for two days at the weekend.

I still don't know if this is better or worse than being furloughed either. The mortgage says better.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds pretty grim.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, take heed of the previous advice.

Knocking your pan in so you’re struggling personally is not the solution. Do what you can, accept defeat on some aspects and keep yourself healthy.

What you’re describing is shit from the company but you play a part too. You need to say no. Otherwise you’ll end off with stress related illnesses.

My work was brutal the last 4 weeks, the last two in particular I was also covering my boss and it was torture. Decided this week will be a significantly lighter week. Ignoring non urgent calls and requests to stick within my working hours and have a “low stress” week.
    Last edited by Foe; 20-04-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In sales it's a choice of either doing the job or not. Logic suggests I need the company to do as well as possible at this point, so I try as hard as I can. In this situation I don't think I can just turn up and go through the motions. It's also better to have something to get stuck into than not.

The problem is more the isolation and feeling that there is absolutely no end in sight. By the time everyone comes back I will be fucking knackered.

I can tell that the very few other people here (1 purchasing lady, 1 shipping lady) are feeling it as well. My line manager is working from home and the MD is in the office. Other than that it's a mausoleum, albeit a pretty profitable one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do your job without killing yourself surely? Work at your normal pace. If customers fall through the cracks because there's nobody else there then so be it. I'd be laughing my arse off if I was sat at home being furloughed whilst you ran yourself into the ground for a few extra hundred quid.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 20-04-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear in mind that if things are ticking along fine with a skeleton staff, they'll probably never bother bringing the others back.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fucker is probably already looking at Yachts.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a difficult one to predict. The way we do business, we sell to two types of customer: people whose engines are carked and need them back up ASAP, and people who stock parts for resale. The latter are the profitable side of it and it's they who are down in terms of revenue (I suspect, but in this company there is zero chance that anyone would ever let me see any relevant figures. I keep my own figures, but that only covers my personal territories). The wheel kickers are still all up and running and their engines are still breaking down, which keeps our workload high but means that our staffing costs are probably a lot more acute than they might have been.

We are normally a 50 person operation and currently only 20 of those are working, 14 of them in the warehouse. I don't think they can downscale THAT much, even if a couple of the more useless corpses do fall by the wayside.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of the day though, you need to look after you. That’s the reason for going to work on a fundamental level. Unless you’re paid enough to mitigate the health issues stress can cause (and for me, that figure is well into six figures which would mean a very early retirement) then it’s not worth it.

How’s your eating? Reckon couple shite diet and your working conditions and it’s tatties.

Also, the oil price is very much

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't look now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're probably about a third full. I've already had to move a desk over which is fine. It's so bloody dull, though. Durham is silent now and the roads are so quiet the roadworks at Neville's Cross are a quaint inconvenience. Was a bit miffed to immediately be put on the phones but the normal work has slowed down. I don't think I realised how important it is to send people in for assessments. It slows right down to a trickle when it's just telephone assessments. They're quick calls, too which I don't mind.

Still, walking around town is some last man on earth shit. I can't recall seeing a bus carrying any passengers and there is no rail services. And life without Greggs is .... like, I'm saving money but eating the most boring shit I can grab.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Social distancing in an office is alright, you know. Definitely better than normal. There was nothing I did today that required me to be in an office, though, and I bet you it's the same tomorrow. I'll be back working from home by next week I reckon.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My MD managed a new low for fucking vapid people skills this afternoon.

He was through for another one of his 'friendly' chats with me and the shipping manager, and we were talking about how things were still surprisingly busy and my markets had already taken £100,000 this month despite everything (we normally look for 150-200k in a month, so given covid and the fact that everyone is furloughed, it's going pretty well).

'Problem is,' he says, '(Jim) can sit there all day, make 20 deals and take £100,000 all he likes, but that's not where the company margin is. Now, when I do a big job for the Saudis...'

I don't think he meant it to come across like that, and it's undoubtedly true, I just think he has the people skills of a cup-a-soup. It's honestly not what you should be saying to your staff, ever, but especially not when you need them motivated.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still think knocking your pan in to the detriment of your health is worthwhile?

I’m getting tired of working from home. Sitting at a dining room chair is brutal. Going to speak to my boss about a desk and computer chair.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There'll probably be a fair few becoming free soon, so you should be in luck

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the 'Hey, you can work from home, you know?" email today as well. I've not got the setup for it plus I'd diminish my role a bit. I've never loved working on the phones but I can tolerate the covid-related phone bollocks. Plus it has a direct influence on the other work we do, now that those are almost all the assessments we'll get to carry out.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Still think knocking your pan in to the detriment of your health is worthwhile?

I’m getting tired of working from home. Sitting at a dining room chair is brutal. Going to speak to my boss about a desk and computer chair.
    I am lucky I had a set up at home that was probably better than most people I work with. Some of them had to take a single monitor home to hook up to their laptop. No chance I would be able to do that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my three days working from home, I could do about five hours on a dining chair but then had to retreat to the sofa. Office chairs are underrated things.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was very close to working from home again today. The people I'm reporting into told me I could work from home if I wanted to, so I went to my client manager and we agreed it would be best to work from home. I then okayed it with another person I'm working with, and we were all set. Just had to run it past one person that I'd never heard of who has blocked it 'until I get to grips with the role'. A role I'm more than qualified to do and I'm only helping them because of corona. Eeeediyat. But tbh I don't mind the office. Music is worse, but I eat less.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    In my three days working from home, I could do about five hours on a dining chair but then had to retreat to the sofa. Office chairs are underrated things.
    About a year ago, the chair in my home office broke on a Thursday, and I did a single day working on a shit plastic chair on Friday, before my new one arrived Saturday.

It knackered my back up for months. It's still not 100% now, but it's a lot better since I spent a fortune on a new mattress.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got this from Ikea and it's pretty great for the price.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was ever going to spend a significant amount of time working from home, I reckon I'd go johnny big balls and put several hundred quid into one. Must be worth it in the long run.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CBA working now. Got invoices coming out my arse. Not being able to print anything is making things very hard and having to do all my work on my small laptop screen is a pain!

Two people from my team are being redeployed so I should be grateful, I guess, but it’s very annoying atm.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you not take your office PC home? Even our company, with its 1970s working practices, arranged for people to take extra screens home or in one case even their whole setup.

My team whatsapp group, which had been quite active in the initial stages of the furlough era, has now been completely silent for ten days. It's so awkward. I can't really reignite the chat as they're probably all bitter that I was the one kept on.