Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My contributions thus far have been effectively asking them to turn the thermostat down.

Better get a bonus.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    In a plot twist, I’m now a CARBON CHAMPION or something.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use your new title to educate them that it’s all bollocks.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to go into the office for the first time this year, just nipping in for a flying visit after lunch to pick up my shiny new laptop and I still can't be arsed. That said originally there was a prospect of pints after but that has been dismissed. If I end up coming back at peak commuter time or caught up in cancellations

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Use your new title to educate them that it’s all bollocks.
    Climate change is bollocks?

Another mark for the resident contrarian.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small individual gestures in the name of stopping it are, indeed, bollocks.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like school shootings in the US, we could stop it if we wanted to, but we don’t, so we won’t.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    Climate change is bollocks?

Another mark for the resident contrarian.
    What caused the last two major eras of climate change the earth went through? The mammoths running the boiler all day?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got an interview this afternoon at less than 24 hrs notice, for a role I'm already doing (was a one year fixed term contract). Think a load of other people have applied for it as well, but given I'm the only person with experience I'm hoping I'll be able to wing it (as funnily enough, I spent last night marking/planning and will spend today teaching before going straight to interview. Omnishambles.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Small individual gestures in the name of stopping it are, indeed, bollocks.
    If it was as big a problem as we’re led to believe (ie dead planet and no more life) then there would be real solutions by now instead the token ones designed to make rich people richer.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    What caused the last two major eras of climate change the earth went through? The mammoths running the boiler all day?
    Probably the asteroid that killed them.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Probably the asteroid that killed them.
    One asteroid caused 5 ice ages billions of years apart?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Climate change, a bit like covid, has ended up just falling down previously drawn political lines. Those who want life to be a free for all prefer for climate change not to exist. Those who want there to be strict controls on everyone's lives (set by them) in pursuit of lord-knows-what prefer for climate change to be on the brink of wiping us all out unless said controls are imposed. The truth is neither.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Giggles was on team sceptic but Lofty aligning to "it's weather, idiots" has surprised me. The rate of carbon dioxide and methane concentration in the air is unprecedented. And Giggles, the reason we haven't done more, quicker, is because it impacts those with the most money the most now. Why do you think the oil and gas lobby are so strong?

They have a cool slogan though and get Foe to be a climate battyman so all good.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think 'it's weather, idiots' I think the earth changes it's climate to reset every so often based on historical evidence so I'm not going to worry to much about it as the chances are it won't affect me too much in the present and if it does there isn't much I can do about it anyway. I probably have the lowest carbon footprint on the board, ironically.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the rate of change rather than disputing the earth has weather cycles. The SCIENCE are pretty much on full consensus that humans are the reason for it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humans are a disease and climate change is the earth's immune system gearing up to cleanse it. Bring on the mad max apocalypse I say.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The scientific research I've read on the issue suggests that by the year 3000 out lives will be much the same only more aquatic so Kiko needs to calm down.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your great great great grand-daughter is ugly as sin due to the effects of climate change, but your daughter's pretty hot so I'll take her thanks.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was as big a problem as we’re led to believe (ie dead planet and no more life) then there would be real solutions by now instead the token ones designed to make rich people richer.
    There is a lot of uncertainty as to how big of a problem it really is. I think that 'we'll deal with it as we go' is the right approach. Models extending all the way to 2100 are not to be taken too seriously, unless you still believe that existential models made in the 1940s are still to be believed.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to say the Universal Credit people might be the biggest group of absolute chancers and dickheads I've ever come across. That entire system is so fundamentally broken.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of uncertainty as to how big of a problem it really is. I think that 'we'll deal with it as we go' is the right approach. Models extending all the way to 2100 are not to be taken too seriously, unless you still believe that existential models made in the 1940s are still to be believed.
    But just make sure you buy expensive shiny new things to combat it in the meantime.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I've got to say the Universal Credit people might be the biggest group of absolute chancers and dickheads I've ever come across. That entire system is so fundamentally broken.
    It is genuinely terrible and I am convinced it is by design, not by accident.

One of my residents - a cancer patient - had her March and April wages counted as one pay day due to the dates the payments arrived, so UC gave her nothing. Because of this she had to reach out to a Cancer Charity for support and they have kindly given her £600 to help her through. UC have of course counted this along side her wages again and given her nothing this month too.

Shower of cunts.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 25-05-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Models extending all the way to 2100 are not to be taken too seriously, unless you still believe that existential models made in the 1940s are still to be believed.
    Whilst it's probably true that models extending so far in the future are to be taken with a healthy dose of scepticism, it's obviously nonsense to compare them to models made in the 40s given the exponential increases in power of the computers running the models in the mean time.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But just make sure you buy expensive shiny new things to combat it in the meantime.
    How has consumerism built into what you think climate scientists are asking for? The neverending production line of shit is one thing we definitely have to change.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Whilst it's probably true that models extending so far in the future are to be taken with a healthy dose of scepticism, it's obviously nonsense to compare them to models made in the 40s given the exponential increases in power of the computers running the models in the mean time.
    Things like temperature prediction are ok. Things like predicting the effects of that temperature change on the economy, immigration, etc. are to be ignored, or at least treated as something with such huge error bars that we don't even know in which direction the net effect will be.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to find an article that references a major BP executive in the early 2010s speaking at a rich man's conference that it would be unethical to expect people like him to change their lifestyles due to climate change because, damn it, they really really like their lifestyles.

That and economic brinkmanship are the reasons why not enough is happening. Any country that makes a major move before another is an economic loser.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things like temperature prediction are ok. Things like predicting the effects of that temperature change on the economy, immigration, etc. are to be ignored, or at least treated as something with such huge error bars that we don't even know in which direction the net effect will be.
    I think we have a pretty good idea that people will not be moving to areas submerged in water and will instead seek dry land.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I probably have the lowest carbon footprint on the board, ironically.
    Pray tell.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Pray tell.
    No kids > vegan > bicycles > public transit and then something about houses.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    I think we have a pretty good idea that people will not be moving to areas submerged in water and will instead seek dry land.
    Go read the IPCC report, carefully examine the sea level rise predictions, and then come back.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go read the IPCC report, carefully examine the sea level rise predictions, and then come back.
    gonna Harold it here and say prove it

edit: nah, that's dumb and makes you think you're right.

Even if we were to somehow hit RCP2.6, we still have an average sea level protected to rise 0.4m by 2100. Cities like Vancouver are going to have a really fun time with mega-infrastructure projects to manage events like floods while other cities will simply need to retreat due to their inability to fund such infrastructure.

If a city is retreating in the face of sea level rises, floods and other inclement climactic events, then there are going to be supply issues with building stock writ large. Consequently people will be displaced and move further inland.

We already see a version of this in metropolitan regions on coastlines wherein the poorer you are, the more likely you are to live inland.
    Last edited by Panda Bear; 25-05-2022 at 04:16 PM.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Job is an unmitigated disaster now. Have sent my CV to a few recruiters and asked a few people in the industry to help me out.

I cannot believe what I've walked in to here, lads.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to even go that deep:

Flood risk studies that have included adaptation find that hard coastal protection is generally very effective in reducing flood risks during the 21st century even under high SLR scenarios
    https://www.ipcc.ch/srocc/chapter/ch...d-communities/

Some places might have to build sea walls some time in the next eighty years. We know how to build those, so it is no big deal. No place will be submerged in water, at least no place that we care about.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone actually think we're going to end up living in Waterworld?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget Atlantis, isn't the bigger issue ecosystems collapsing due to the increased/decreased temperatures?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to even go that deep:

https://www.ipcc.ch/srocc/chapter/ch...d-communities/

Some places might have to build sea walls some time in the next eighty years. We know how to build those, so it is no big deal. No place will be submerged in water, at least no place that we care about.
    I knew I should have responded properly from the off rather than making a lengthy edit.

Yes, a Vancouver will be 'fine' while a Vanuatu won't.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Job is an unmitigated disaster now. Have sent my CV to a few recruiters and asked a few people in the industry to help me out.

I cannot believe what I've walked in to here, lads.
    Were there any warning signs before you went?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Forget Atlantis, isn't the bigger issue ecosystems collapsing due to the increased/decreased temperatures?
    Yeah.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from us generically telling him not to leave his 65-85k job?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the specific problems with your job @Magic? Is it just this mileage stuff that's leaving you out of pocket, or is there more to it?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but not really. I went to the MD's house and discussed the objectives and terms and everything seemed fine (until he stepped down on day 5 of my employment LOL).

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    What are the specific problems with your job @Magic? Is it just this mileage stuff that's leaving you out of pocket, or is there more to it?
    It's a nightmare.

The mileage thing has left me confused as to whether I can go to meetings outside of my own house
    I have nobody to work alongside apart from a depressed sales guy who only got here last year and is on a PERFORMANCE PLAN
    My 'pre-sales engineer' was taken on day 5 and assigned to another project and told not to talk to the sales team
    The sales guy who has been here 21 years can barely spell his own name and is basically an order taker for the house accounts
    I got told not to talk to existing customers (when I was trying to find out how we helped them)
    I have had no training or onboarding
    I have to LOG A PRE-SALES TICKET every time I want any help (even to ask fucking questions like 'what hardware would we use for this purpose')...and it takes 3-4 days for a response
    Nobody talks to me internally on Teams or otherwise
    I get no feedback or 121s
    We have no products, literally everything is bespoke which makes it very hard to learn about anything organically
    There's no relationships with suppliers for additional support
    We have a WEEKLY sales meeting where all I'm asked is what I've been up to and who I've been to see
    I get comments like '50 calls a day' and then 'we don't want any old customer' and then 'you should be firing out quotes' and then 'we don't expect you to sell anything for a while yet'
    I don't know what problems we solve, which means I don't know who to talk to (company or person)
    Nobody has a reason to talk to me, and therefore I am getting no meetings or even responses with my cold outreach, which is literally the only thing I can do at the moment

It's an absolute parody cliche of a nightmare sales environment.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here was my rough plan before I started:

Ideal Client? (still don't know)
    Ideal Contact? (lol)
    Strategy: education (failing because I have no idea what to educate potential clients on)
    Marketing: campaigns on topics each month (marketing guy is too busy doing recruitment)
    Visit top 10 clients to find out what we're good/bad at (got told not to talk to existing customers)
    Hot Topics and insight from the team (got told not to talk to the team as they are too busy)

I am absolutely out of ideas and a shell of who I was. My confidence is shot and I have no belief in my own ability.

Just sell? I can't believe it. What a disaster.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have your old place replaced you? Did you leave on friendly terms?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like some shit show. For all the ‘bants’ and all that craic that goes on here, it’s fucking would destroying to end up somewhere like that when you’d have been going in so hopefully. Hopefully you get sorted with something else.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Have your old place replaced you? Did you leave on friendly terms?
    Yes, I even did 2 weeks extra notice so they could recruit.

I really liked my old place but got bored tbh.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Yes, I even did 2 weeks extra notice so they could recruit.

I really liked my old place but got bored tbh.
    #adhd