41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kind of transit.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve been asked to “make an effort” to go into the office every Wednesday. Help plz.

I tried but couldn’t face it may have to be wheeled out.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder you're not a champion any more.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambassadors love in-person meetings.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's over Baz. Twice a week from March, goodbye sweet lover, goodbye £400 per month.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone back to the office

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My company actively dissauding us from going in

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    It's over Baz. Twice a week from March, goodbye sweet lover, goodbye £400 per month.
    I'm potentially looking at three.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Everyone back to the office
    You and I could bond over this. Just delicious.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's inevitable. I'm just stringing it out as long as possible.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Ambassadors love in-person meetings.
    And Ferrero Rocher

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    I'm potentially looking at three.
    Yeah, I may be in same boat but I think I can dodge it. Jesus, what a mess.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    You and I could bond over this. Just delicious.
    The amount of people who genuinely thought they were going to get away with doing nothing ever again and get the same money. I know people who were going to move to the coast and others going to sell their cars, and most of them are back working already

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone at my wife's spot moved to another city while WFH, and then asked if he could keep doing it when told to come back into the office only to be told to come in or fuck off

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how people enjoy WFH. I mean, each to their own, but I couldn't stomach giving up an entire room in my house to become an office.

People who work in bed or on the sofa are mentalists.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a confirmed mentalist. The thing for me is I preferred working in the office for productivity and social reasons but while we were out they binned our set desks and changed they layout for hot desks, got rid of our desktop computers etc so now going in is more of a faff and less productive.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A blend is definitely fine. We are expected in 3 days a week, home for 2. So if/when that ever happens tue-thurs in the office and Monday Friday at home are the answer.

I’m pretty hopeful I’ll be able to justify just going in on Wednesdays, given I spend most of my day either in calls or reviewing trends on a screen by myself.

There was someone who moved to England (bought a house no less) and is now complaining because the guidance is “within an hour of the home base office” in case you need to come in.

I’ve considered upping sticks to the highlands and just having keeping the flat here to stay in a night or two a week when I need to be in the office.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will argue until the day I die with giggles that WFH does not mean not working. Anyway, we've gone to 3 in/2 out but mostly back to all out with Omicron here. I actually much prefer being at home, maybe if I was working with some people directly on my floor it would be different.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I feel that I need the separation so working from home isn't great for me. I have contemplated setting up a proper cabin in the garden as an office though as I think that could work for me with a proper full on set up and if I did that maybe working from home a couple of days a week could work.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have more than one room in the house now so I can use the spare bedroom as an office. It was pretty shit working on the dining table on a crappy IKEA chair for 15 months

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I actually have more than one room in the house now so I can use the spare bedroom as an office. It was pretty shit working on the dining table on a crappy IKEA chair for 15 months
    Yeah the other week when I had the rona I pitched up in the office we have and the missus had to work downstairs on the dining room table. That worked a lot better than when we were both working at the dining room table when lockdown first happened. But, the problem is because she works from home as well I don't want to give up to rooms in the house just to office space.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf, hot desks in the office would make me shift opinions dramatically. My desk is my desk, arseholes.

There is a lot of zeal from some WFHers about the topic, at times, which makes me think they're on the take. There's also a lot of lack of self-awareness/'privilege' about being able to do it comfortably.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the barren North so I have a spacious house and still couldn't be comfortable with giving up an entire room for my job so God knows how you Southern studio apartment folk deal with it. I'd need a massive bung to even contemplate it.

Not that my job is possible from home, so I'm just shaking my fist at the clouds here.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it for two days in late March 2020 (before the rest of my team got furloughed and I was in the office from then on) and wanted to kill myself. No chance of work/life separation when you have to do it on your laptop at the same table where you eat, and I don't even have kids, or a partner who also needs WFH space, or flatmates I hate, or any of that.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently been promoted into the management structure at my work, was previously a site manager.

I'm now split between working on site, working from home, working at the office and surveying.

Its all a bit crazy but appreciate the time at home although I'd imagine it's a lot worse for some people. We have a seperate office my wife works in and then I can work in one of our spare rooms so we aren't distracting each other.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the disparity of loving WFH lies within the fact I have a doss job. And don’t get paid 44k like certain members.

Although I’ve just had a 15 minute meeting with the big big bosslady, telling her how to do something menial. She went on to tell me I’m doing an excellent job, so the rest of the morning shall be spent watching wrestling while my spreadsheet macro makes it look like I’m hard at work. It’s feet up Friday, lads. Chill out.

I mean I should add that I work pretty relentlessly throughout the week to keep on top of everything to give me these freedoms, and I’m making the most of it while it lasts.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I've had to do to set my place up is move a chair in from the dining room. The TV stand/desk combo was already there. As for work, the workload is the workload regardless of where you're doing it from. I've grafted like hell. I've sat on my arse with nowt to do for hours. I'd rather do the latter from home. I'd rather do the former in the office.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind if I worked with people who had something about them and the team dynamics were strong.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hotdesking (with your own laptop) isn't that bad and I never get why people are so protective about having their own desk. My main gripe if I was sent back to the office full time is the loss of time and money.

And despite what grampa Giggles reckons not everybody has a job where you can get away with doing fuck all just because you're at home. I'm not sure any of my friends could in the jobs they have, for that matter. Not without being 'managed out of the business' in fairly short order.

which makes me think they're on the take
    You the one to be casting this particular stone?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind if I worked with people who had something about them and the team dynamics were strong.
    This is a bit of a factor too. Previous job our department of 20+ or so all got on well enough that there was some benefit on that front to being in the office.

When I first started there was a core of people who'd been their for ages who were matey who've now fucked off and the rest of us have our friends in the team and there's very little chit chat outside that other than for work questions and team calls, and the new(ish) manager is giving it all "Hey when we're back in the office let's do 'Thirsty Thursdays'!" as if trying to guilt people into going for one pint when we've got work the next day is going to make us all suddenly a close-knit team of top mates.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Ooo but I can't seperate my work and life' arguments were good and I was a proponent of them but they went out the window about 6 months into staring into the bleak abyss of lockdown-WFH-wait-for-your-8th-booster-and-clap-for-dildoboy-and-chums. Take your collaboration and office banter and shove it up your primitive arsehole, we've seen the future and we liked what we saw.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My manager told me before he doesn't care if any of the folks in any of his teams never come back to the office.

To be fair, we're all distributed all over the place anyway. On my team of four there's only one other based in Belfast. Then there's one in the US and one in Macedonia. And it's easy to tell if we're doing any work or not - github commit history and deploys to production don't lie.

I probably do more work WFH than I would in the office too. With not commuting, I'll work an extra half hour at the end of the day to finish things up instead of wasting it on the bus.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to change job soon anyway but the impression I get currently is that we'll be working from home until March-ish (though you can now book a desk in the office if you want) and then it'll be do 2/3 days in the office 2 at home with presumably some leeway as to what ones you do.

We had a call about it yesterday and Fathers 4 Flexi started their campaign for how impossible it is to have a child and ever be in the office.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does depend on the job, of course. Mine needs a vast array of info (and TTH, of course) across two screens, a phone, a load of heavy books, and various dodgy remote desktop links that tell me which parts go in which engine. None of this can be done from my shitty laptop amid last night's parmesan gratings that I haven't wiped up because I fell asleep on the sofa first.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in our specific team's case the only thing you really lose out on purely professionally is if you're a new start because I can't imagine getting to know people over Teams (or trying to) is much fun. Managers saying 'x has started, drop them a message and say hi!' isn't going to cut it because what sort of absolute psycho is actually going to do that?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does depend on the job, of course. Mine needs a vast array of info (and TTH, of course) across two screens, a phone, a load of heavy books, and various dodgy remote desktop links that tell me which parts go in which engine. None of this can be done from my shitty laptop amid last night's parmesan gratings that I haven't wiped up because I fell asleep on the sofa first.
    You mean you can't be sent cash bungs electronically.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, absolutely none of the above sounds like it would be possible away from the office

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classes cancelled today due to weather. A drop of snow has yet to fall.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Americans were hardened to the extreme weather? That's some Southern English shit.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought so too, yet here we are.

The schools close due to snow all the time. The University, it is the second time it happens in the four years I've been here. Last time the weather was not that bad, and today it seems similar. I've had to walk through like ten inches of snow to go teach before, so I am not sure how they decide.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I thought Americans were hardened to the extreme weather? That's some Southern English shit.
    Hang on a minute, you can't just besmirch the name of Greggs in one thread and then grasp for sectarian stereotypes against Southeners in the next. Sort yourself out.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not wrong on either count though.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greggs is for Southerners and town centre riff-raff.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pasties and sausage rolls? Southeners? We have Pret you Northern monkey.

It wasn't us churning out Sausage Roll Christmas songs.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a pandemic bonus today for not slacking off

It’s fuck all like but I still deserve it more than half the cunts in the health service that the government are giving one to.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is it you do?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Pasties and sausage rolls? Southeners? We have Pret you Northern monkey.

It wasn't us churning out Sausage Roll Christmas songs.
    There are three Greggs in Portsmouth, and they are all in the student district/scummier high street. I have never been to any of them. Meanwhile, I could rank the top ten sausage rolls in all the butchers and delis across the entire island.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is it you do?
    Courier.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To echo the sentiment I’ve set myself up in the spare room on a proper desk with an office chair and it’s immensely better than kitchen table and chair about 3 yards from the sofa.

For WFH you need a palatable split for work/life. Thankfully I have a spare room and have always liked the idea of having a desk/sofa bed sort of room so it would work for me long term.