User Tag List

Page 53 of 235 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,650 of 11702

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon, knowing a couple of state school teachers these days as well as reading mo's experiences on here, that even though they get hammered into the ground for fuck all reward, their souls and dignity remain intact. I'm not sure the bloke who used to teach me Economics, spent every day of every holiday in 'Thighland' as he called the south east Asian kingdom, and then eventually moved to teach at the UAE branch of Repton School could say that.

That probably sounds really patronising as per from me, but you know what I'm getting at.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every holiday in Thailand?

Definite nonce.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope there is a UAE branch of Repton School (is it not College)?

Seems not.

Played them at hockey once, on a fucking grass pitch, the backwards northern fuckers.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radley is the college, I mix them up too. And yes there is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repton_School_Dubai

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Radley was a bag manufacturer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dignity. That's a stretch.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many days of annual leave does everyone get?

I get 25, plus 4 floating bank holidays. I can carryover 5 from the previous year. I work a 9 day fortnight so I get every second Friday off AND I can use salary sacrifice to buy another TEN. Seems mental.

Relative cost of the extra day of leave isn’t that bad either... works out about 14 quid a month after tax per month per extra day.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not even sure, 26 or something but I work up that many hours to take off that I never need to take most of them and just get paid for them in the December pay.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25. I can carry 5 from the previous year but can buy as much as 10.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m debating buying ten and just not working Fridays.

Career limiting perhaps?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17 plus three at Christmas. In this respect even the Koreans have the edge over my current mob, run, it must be said, by an 80 year old Israeli. People who built their business empire 50 years ago and likely fled the Holocaust as young children give no fucks for time off.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    17 plus three at Christmas. In this respect even the Koreans have the edge over my current mob, run, it must be said, by an 80 year old Israeli. People who built their business empire 50 years ago and likely fled the Holocaust as young children give no fucks for time off.
    24 but you rarely get to use them when you want them and the company doesn't allow you to carry them over which I find a bit rich given the reason you can't take them when you want to is due to staffing issues. I lost 5 days when October ended and now you've got to accrue them again hence why I can't have two weeks off end of January to go away.

In short, meh.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that excluding bank holidays?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. It's 20 all in all (the legal minimum) but 3 of them are fixed so we have 17 to deploy ourselves.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get 20 days holidays, 4 floating days of my choice and then 6 fixed company days off over the year. Make out pretty well compared to a lot of people in the US.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get 30 with a mandatory 2 week stint. I've had 60 this year because I skirted the rules as a temp and they'd get sued into oblivion if they tried to take it away from me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently on 20 plus 8 or 9 bank holidays plus three extras the company just gives specifically for use around Christmas and new year. Next year I'll get an extra 2 for length of service, and if I'm still here the year after that it'll be 25 before the extras.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, mine's more like 30-ish with the bank holidays. If I get to ten years, I'll have an extra day.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23 plus the 8 bank holidays. After 1 year, you get an extra" duvet day", which allows you to call in on the morning one day per year and tell us you're not coming in. The only caveat is you're not approaching a deadline and don't have any meetings scheduled that day.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been through one, I'm pretty sure private school teaching is a one way ticket to acceptably-paid misery. There always seemed to be something, you know, wrong with them all.

The best ones were the handful of serious academic sorts who were probably a bit better than school level, had other things in their lives, and didn't give a fuck.
    My mum works at one of the poshest schools in the country and the teachers there are pretty sound though will randomly turn up at houses (yeah I know) with a load of their mates and expect to be fed dinner, despite the fact the catering is all subcontracted out and the firm running it has the strictest itemized budgets per student. Usually it means she either gets a bollocking from the school for not being accommodating or from the catering firm for going over budget. Her war stories have essentially convinced me that everything everywhere should be run in-house, efficiency my ass.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this is the same at state schools, but one time in upper sixth a few of us got invited up to the staff canteen, and... fucking hell, it was like going from economy to first class.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    27 I think + bank holidays (or days in lieu if I have to work one because I'm on-call or whatever). Because my jobs are 4 month rotations I have to take 9 days during each 4 month block or I lose them.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13 weeks

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't do your job for 12 days a year in fairness.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our seating plan is out for next year. I am miles away from bother. Chuffed.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Our seating plan is out for next year. I am miles away from bother. Chuffed.
    You’ll have to give some tips to Baz.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much to say, to be honest. I get on with most of the people in the office and changing teams every year keeps it fresh.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that he actually tried to find advice to give.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. It's 20 all in all (the legal minimum) but 3 of them are fixed so we have 17 to deploy ourselves.
    Fuck me. J-Corbz might be on to something.

I get 25 + Bank Holidays and a bonus day over Christmas that they decide on (Usually Christmas Eve, but it's the day after Boxing Day this year), and thay still doesn't feel enough.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although 17+3 is fuck all, it actually feels right within the context of the job, any less and the holiday cover would be a nightmare. I guess that means we are understaffed and the owner is a tight bastard.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    28 plus bank holidays and then Christmas thrown in on top for nothing. Loving life.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got called a ‘mong’ today. I swear to God the weeks running up to Christmas are the fucking worst.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd expect a head teacher to have a better vocabulary.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Got called a ‘mong’ today. I swear to God the weeks running up to Christmas are the fucking worst.
    It’s easily my least favourite half term.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understandable. We all have three months of dark misery behind us, and there is no end in sight.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    You'd expect a head teacher to have a better vocabulary.

I was trying to find a way to snide this in as some sort of job application feedback.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had my (late) mid year review and I'm getting a Christmas Brucey.

2nd best performance in the team and I've not even been here a year.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much is the bonus?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be confirmed. Won't get anywhere near the numbers posted in here. Couple of hundred probably.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got £500 last year and since then have worked my arse off and seen our French sales rise by 102%, so if it isn't in four figures this year I'll do a proper diva flounce and smear Brie all over the walls.

The review/bonus/salary review is proper mob style at this company, you know it'll be in December but don't know when, and then Netanyahu will just randomly phone you up and summon you to his office. Terrifying stuff.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mocked a FOCUS GROUP the Chairman was leading on YAMMER. Wasn't a direct dig at him, just a dig at the already failed focus group with a hint of comedy.

Anyway that was 2 weeks ago and now I've been told to go up to Inverness and bring all my company equipment, so presumably I'm about to get fired after 6 years of service for a sarcastic comment I made on a public forum. After my best month of making them an absolute fortune as well.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even a disciplinary or something, just a straight up firing?

I mean I know companies can use that sort of shit as grounds for gross misconduct or whatever if they want to but normally only if they already wanted rid of somebody I'd have thought, where it sounds like you've been doing well since your role was changed.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yammer is a festering bag of shit.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not even a disciplinary or something, just a straight up firing?

I mean I know companies can use that sort of shit as grounds for gross misconduct or whatever if they want to but normally only if they already wanted rid of somebody I'd have thought, where it sounds like you've been doing well since your role was changed.
    If it was a disciplinary why bother asking me to bring all my stuff? And why disrupt all the big deals I'm working on? They are fully aware of the stuff I've got in my pipeline. So 2 weeks leave or whatever would just be insanity.

They are all ex-military so this is probably seen as UNFORGIVABLE and is a case in point of cutting your nose to spite your face, egos etc. I want to walk in and say fucking ram your job you bunch of cunts but I'm kind of upset really especially just before Christmas. I have no car or phone or laptop or anything that's personal and it's already difficult enough for me as a single parent with all my outgoings for maintenance, mortgage etc.

This will kill me.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left my job on Friday and went home. GM and I spoke about the incident with the sous chef and why he lashed out but truth be told, it's not my issue. I think I sort of used it as an excuse to leave if I'm honest. Friday I went into work at 9am, by midday I had told the head chef that that's it, I'm done. I went upstairs, packed my shit and an hour later I was on the NX returning to Wales.

I'm still going to stick with cooking because I genuinely enjoy it and I am getting better all the time at it but I think some home comforts instead of a live in job is for the best. I also get to be back with Ellie so win/win. I plan on taking this month off then see what 2020 brings. Every year I find life gets easier to manage so I take things as they come. I don't think I'm ever going to be a settled individual but I'd rather be me now than the me of yesteryear.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    If it was a disciplinary why bother asking me to bring all my stuff? And why disrupt all the big deals I'm working on? They are fully aware of the stuff I've got in my pipeline. So 2 weeks leave or whatever would just be insanity.

They are all ex-military so this is probably seen as UNFORGIVABLE and is a case in point of cutting your nose to spite your face, egos etc. I want to walk in and say fucking ram your job you bunch of cunts but I'm kind of upset really especially just before Christmas. I have no car or phone or laptop or anything that's personal and it's already difficult enough for me as a single parent with all my outgoings for maintenance, mortgage etc.

This will kill me.
    Surely there’s a disciplinary procedure they have to follow. Have you prior warnings, improvement plans, etc?

They could well be trying to strong-arm you into taking it but unless it’s a total cowboy operation they are unlikely to be able to fire straight off like that without you flexing them for it. Engage a solicitor.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Surely there’s a disciplinary procedure they have to follow. Have you prior warnings, improvement plans, etc?

They could well be trying to strong-arm you into taking it but unless it’s a total cowboy operation they are unlikely to be able to fire straight off like that without you flexing them for it. Engage a solicitor.
    Dunno, they could probably find a string of OFFENCES (speeding on the tracker, christ I dunno, a whole host of little things) but no I've never had a prior talking to as it isn't that sort of company. I have really smashed one of my targets but I'm under performing on the other more so since having them increased as we haven't replaced a sales person that left. And our other 'new' sales person hasn't sold a fucking thing in 5 months of being here. So if they let me go they'd have two sales people basically.

Could be a public bravado thing to humiliate me and put me in my place, and give me due cause and concern. From a sales perspective though it's really really really easy to fire someone for not hitting target, as it's quite simple, you're either doing it or not. Whether that's the real reason or not is irrelevant really.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Gross misconduct' covers a multitude of sins. I'd check and see how that stuff is covered in your contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Yeah, it sounds a bit mad.

Are you and the other sales guys paid the same before commission?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myself and the other ex-engineer are paid £25,000 basic, but we get double commission.

The most experienced sales guy at our company (who has less target because he's a fucking snake cunt) is paid £31,000 (we think).

The most experienced sales guy in general (newest one, has same target as me and other ex-engineer) is paid probably upwards of £50,000 as a basic.