Page 78 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,900 of 11708

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    They're now listing all the non-white employees and speculating on what their reactions might be if the guy isn't sacked. They really need to work on getting a thicker office door so I can't hear all this.

Straight out of The Office (US). You could see Michael and Dwight trying to figure out how the decision might be accepted by Stanley/Kelly/Oscar.
    Last edited by Luca; 15-06-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    not to abuse my powers but if it worked i did your timestamp for you
    You can't timestamp when it's embedded, which is why I linked (I don't manually edit urls post 11pm).

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't timestamp when it's embedded, which is why I linked (I don't manually edit urls post 11pm).
    I’ll look into that functionality. Seems weird it doesn’t react like every other site ever.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post

Straight out of The Office (US). You could see Michael and Dwight trying to figure out how the decision might be accepted by Stanley/Kelly/Oscar.
    Better Off Ted had a great bit on this where the automatic doors wouldn't recognise black people so they did a cost benefit analysis on whether to remove the doors or fire all the black people.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're doing that episode a disservice there. It's more complex than that, and I don't think it's ever suggested that they get rid of all the black employees. The joke underpinning it is that it's cheaper to hire a minimum wage white guy to follow each black employee around and activate the sensors for them than address the problem with the sensors.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've stopped repairing the automatic door in the office on this basis as well. For the sake of two disabled members of staff, it's not worth it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright Tory.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive flood in the server room at work.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Officially requested to work from home until 22nd July today, as that’s the start of the summer holidays. I don’t see why it won’t be approved.

Then even beyond then I reckon I’ll wfh on Tuesdays and Thursdays anyways, just because.

Also had to jump start my car again last night. Make sure you’re taking yours out for a regular spin (every 5 days is my minimum aim) if yours is just sitting there.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    A job has come up that I really want to go for, but the deadline for handing in my notice for the academic year was the end of May. So going to suck it up and ask the head tomorrow if he'll waive my notice period in the event I'm offered the job. Nothing to lose really as I was resigned to staying another year anyway, so if he says no it's no big deal.
    So I chickened out of that and asked about notice periods in a roundabout way and got my answer (‘no’, basically). Emailed the school I’m applying to and asked if they’d consider my application if I had a later start date and they said yes. Told my Head of Department and Head Teacher today I was going to apply, and coincidentally they announce this afternoon that the position of Second in Department is going to be advertised. I feel a bit conceited saying this but that’s a pretty big coincidence (they know I want to progress but the opportunities haven’t been there at my current school). So going to apply for both and see what happens.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on then Giggles. 'Co Laois'. How the hell do you say that?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on then Giggles. 'Co Laois'. How the hell do you say that?
    You keep someone on a tight _______.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest German customer yesterday put in an urgent order for 78 of a particular type of dipstick - MUST BE WITH US TOMORROW. Now, we've never sold this dipstick, and can only locate 10 of them in the world (all in India). When I explained this, the woman in Bremen sounded like she was almost in tears of frustrated anger. 'WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR TOMORROW?'

Why would you need 78 of a certain dipstick TOMORROW? I just don't get it. Aren't dipsticks all the same anyway?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost always that their customer has placed the order and nobody can be bothered to manage their expectations. For us it's the drippy wet ones that clearly won't give their customers a proper lead time.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever find a customer who isn't 'drippy wet', please do send them my way. The hand-to-mouth type trading setups are the worst.

I love certain well-rehearsed conversation streams.

'Do you have this item?'
    'No.'
    'When will you have it?'
    'Never.'
    'But... our customer has a requirement.'
    'Does he?'
    'We need it delivered within three weeks for a tender contract.'
    'Do you?'
    'PLEASE GIVE AN UPDATE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE'
    'There is no update. We still don't do it.'
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 18-06-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The furlough dream is over for me. Back to work on the 23rd.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customers sending WhatsApp messages

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking tell me about it. I have a guy in Zaragoza who'll send me a picture of an engine at 10pm on a weeknight and then complain at 9am that I never quoted him. Fuck off mate.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve an out of office on my email and on my voice mail so these cunts are just waiting on a reply now because they don’t know I’m unavailable. If I even message back to just say I’m not in then they’ll latch and torment me for the rest of the day.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using your personal phone for work? If so, you need a work phone pronto and it needs to go off if you're not working. Fuck that shit.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work pays for my phone and I can use it as a personal one so it’s the only one I use and I don’t have to answer it out of hours or anything like that. It’s just really unprofessional to send a WhatsApp, he’ll lose hours before he realises I’m not working today or tomorrow.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Block them on whatsapp.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad should but wouldn’t they still think they’ve sent it?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if he's the only one doing it type out a text that looks like you're sending it to a bunch of folk saying you'll no longer be responding the Whatsapp messages, they should direct any messages / requests / whatever to whichever form of contact you prefer.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure.

Edit: Ian's idea is good.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/sec...ked-by-someone

Any messages sent to a contact who has blocked you will always show one check mark (message sent), and never show a second check mark (message delivered).

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/sec...ked-by-someone

Any messages sent to a contact who has blocked you will always show one check mark (message sent), and never show a second check mark (message delivered).
    Good to know. I have the blue ticks turned off completely but that would at least show someone it hasn’t sent. Might go through my list and block all customers on it.
    I might put Ian’s one in future out of office outlook replies and eventually they’d all get used to it anyway.

For now I’ve changed my ‘status’ to say I’m off and to call the office number.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as you can imagine, as someone that organises an Internatioanl conference, COVID wasn't the best news.

It means my life has been hell for 8 weeks trying to get people to understand bad technology that they picked because they ignored anyone who knew anything. It's been 8:30 starts and 1am finishes for most of that time. Although sometimes I found gaps in the endless meetings and WFH meant I could get a nap in every once in a while. The opening is 10 days from now, same as it would be if COVID never happened.

Meanwhile, Trump, current president of the country our conference was in, has implemented an immigration executive order that would have torn up my and 95% of the staffs VISAs, 100% of our scholarship recipients and 50% of our fee-paying delegates.

I think COVID actually saved us from obilivion whereas now it's just possible bankruptcy.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wild idea: Host it on the board.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally. 4th July.

What a pussy that I am actually crying with happiness.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cunt rang me twice again this morning (despite me having an out of office phone message) and only rang the office this afternoon according to the Teams group. Imbecile has lost a whole day there

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been told today that most of us won't be returning to the office until early September at the earliest and by the sounds of it, it might not happen this year. Excellent.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our lot have put in place procedures to make it really hard to pop back into the office.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First day back yesterday. No laptop, no emails, no phone calls. Grand.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our office is pretty much back at full capacity. Owner knows the value of TEAM WORK so lol @ those sticking with WFH.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting buttfucked by workload at the moment to the point that I've half given up. I went in to the MD's office to ask when the others are coming back because this is not sustainable. I found him having changed into his golf gear and about to set off for the course having booked a short notice half day. He said 'It's all a bit up in the air at the moment' and headed for the first tee. Great.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another secondment opportunity has come up; this time as a data analyst for the local test and trace thingy.

Doing actual helpful work that would look good on my CV vs carry on doing the bare minimum and getting paid to sunbathe

Ehhh I’ll skip this one.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Our office is pretty much back at full capacity. Owner knows the value of TEAM WORK so lol @ those sticking with WFH.
    I bet your office is full of sales wankers who unironically say shit like "team work makes the dream work".

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting buttfucked by workload at the moment to the point that I've half given up. I went in to the MD's office to ask when the others are coming back because this is not sustainable. I found him having changed into his golf gear and about to set off for the course having booked a short notice half day. He said 'It's all a bit up in the air at the moment' and headed for the first tee. Great.
    Is there any way you can join him for a round? I'm picturing a Goldfinger scenario.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll all be worth it when your sitcom about it hits the air.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Koreans wouldn't have left you in the lurch like this, Jim.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they wouldn't, bless their little hearts. They also would still have me on 1% annual rises negotiated by the no doubt tigerish trade union over there, so it's swings and roundabouts. And at least here you can talk to colleagues during the working day without it being the most awkward thing ever.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I bet your office is full of sales wankers who unironically say shit like "team work makes the dream work".

No the sales team are all remote obviously, but I'd expect nothing less from someone which such little understanding of capitalism.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have you been there? If it's > 1 yr then just find something else and leave

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Permanent furlough for more. This is your new work load.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the same position this time last week, I absolutely gave up and just let it all pile up. Sure enough once my boss realised I was ignoring the emails he was sending me and customers started bitching at him we had a little sit down where I refused to do the work of three people anymore and a temp (his daughter) started yesterday to cover most of the menial stuff.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kind of doing that now. Inbox is up to 51 at time of writing (normally try to end each day on <5). There's just no way of controlling it without someone else to answer the phone.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine were up at nearly 200 but that is across 5 or 6 inboxes, most of which were for departments I'm not even supposed to be working in.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy taking the knee.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have hundreds and thousands of unread emails.

If it’s that important they’ll email again.