User Tag List

Page 235 of 235 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235
Results 11,701 to 11,733 of 11733

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Uniform Shop is probably keeping the blazer racket going. Time to run them out of business so vape shops can move in.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The maddest thing my mam ever did was knit me a uniform one year in the juniors. Nobody kicked off about it but it was just sewing badges onto a black sweatshirt from year 7 onwards.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a herringbone tweed [?] blazer at my posh school. Thing was absolutely indestructible, especially if you went full nonce and had the leather elbow patches [I didn't]. Modern state schools requiring them always seems odd to me. My eldest daughter's does and they are BIG on behaviour/respect/obedience, like, puts the CCP to shame levels, so I guess it's part of that. There was something on BBC2 recently featuring a Scotch poet/writer/rapper and one of the things they looked at was schooling, and compared it to the Finnish system, where everything is different better, and it just goes to show what 24 hours a day of darkness and no visible human emotion in a society can do for discipline.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Modern state schools requiring them always seems odd to me.
    The argument is always that it reduces bullying because if everyone is wearing the same the less-well-off kids don't stand out by virtue of not being able to afford the latest must have fashion item.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 28-03-2024 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, yeah, but that's an argument for uniform, which is fine, although Finland disagrees, not blazers. Just have jumpers/t-shirts. It's 2024. People who wear ties should be shot. I guess the Finalnd thing is that it is probably a far more equal society, which is why it seems less fucked up. Also probably far richer and smaller, which helps.

Also, it's almost impossible to avoid that sort of social fashion bullying unless you ban all non-uniform items - like bags [all the cool kids currently sport drawstring JD bag wtf?], watches, jewelry, phones, I dunno, everything.

I had a friend who's daughters, his kids are much older than mine, fell in with the kids of some extremely wealthy people and he said it was a complete nightmare from the perspective of keeping up with the Joneses. This was at a private school but he was a working class chap, so it happens at all levels.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    The argument is always that it reduces bullying because if everyone is wearing the same the less well off kids don't stand out by virtue of not being able to afford the latest must have fashion item.
    My guy has explained the concept of having a school uniform to a post wondering why state schools need to make expensive blazers mandatory

Edit: another brutal e-victory somewhat dampened but we move.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah for clarity, since I started there it's been blazers only (no jumpers), meaning the little pudgy lads in Y7 look like they're on work experience at the bank. Post-Covid plain black v-neck jumpers were allowed with the blazer (on account of having to have the windows open all the time) and of course, that just lead to hoodies, stone island clobber, etc.

Jumpers are great because, if done well, I haven't then got to nag kids about untucked shirts and those awful looking short, fat ties (that in itself is why I want clip on ties).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a job interview for a role in Berlin. Would mean a relocation if I go for it but it's with one of the biggest banks in the world so your pay off might be worthwhile. Also giggles would stop fuming at one other person working from home.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my colleagues has just quit not only his job here, but work entirely. His wife's income is enough for them both, apparently. Refuses to work his notice period. Heads have gone everywhere.

Leaves us very much in the poo, let's see if the South Africans come up with a sufficient budget to hire properly this time (they won't).
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 03-04-2024 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s such a baller move, to just basically give up. Presumably he’s done this just after payday.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't be surprised if Jim's lot actually persue him over the notice.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think at best they can withhold his final pay packet, but if he's sound financially anyway then it wont bother him in the slightest.

I'm sure this will end in Jim taking over the extra work with no extra pay. I do hope they recovered all of those training files the silly woman deleted for his replacement though.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can't withhold his pay*. They could sue him for losses incurred as a result of him not working his notice, but they must be reasonable losses. For example, if they had to hire agency staff to cover him for the month, they could claim for the difference in pay.

*Edited to add: the exception here is if such deductions are specified in their employment contract.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a big difference between what companies "can't" do and what they actually get away with doing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I do hope they recovered all of those training files the silly woman deleted for his replacement though.
    No prizes for guessing who's been tasked with rewriting the training manual.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    One of my colleagues has just quit not only his job here, but work entirely. His wife's income is enough for them both, apparently. Refuses to work his notice period. Heads have gone everywhere.
    Embracing the soft life.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13% pay rise.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The useless woman has - literally since the day after she inexplicably passed her probation - been signed off sick. I don't know what with, but given the doctor's giving her two-week sicknotes at a time I'm guessing it's stress or whatever. Is this how people game the workplace nowadays?

We've since picked up a Romanian who couldn't be arsed working for McLaren. Moneyball signing.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By couldn't be arsed do you mean that he worked there and quit, or was offered a position but chose your obviously superior company instead?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the woman, people like that are the true geniuses of our times.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember what it's called, but there is a Reddit Group where members post their terms of employment, and the other members knock them up a plan for being off work as much as possible without getting in trouble. It's the sort of grind I really appreciate.

They're maximising sick leave, inventing fictional nephews and sick Auties for dependency leave, having fake pregnancies and conveniently timed miscarriages, the works. What a world.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 16-04-2024 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    By couldn't be arsed do you mean that he worked there and quit, or was offered a position but chose your obviously superior company instead?
    He worked there and quit to join us. Not sure what he was doing, mind.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 weeks at a time suggests mental health or some kind of small injury.

There's a teacher at my Mrs school, who has been doing the same. She was attacked by one of the SEN children resulting in some minor damage to her shoulder. She was bringing in sick notes 2 weeks at a time. While she is fine on sick pay, this is of great inconvenience to the school who have to pay her still, but also then fork out for short term cover. That isn't cheap either.

She was due back with the new term starting after Easter, much to the relief of all trying to cover her absence, but that soon faded when she dropped off a new note signing her off with mental health issues until the May half term break.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I can't remember what it's called, but there is a Reddit Group where members post their terms of employment, and the other members knock them up a plan for being off work as much as possible without getting in trouble. It's the sort of grind I really appreciate.

They're maximising sick leave, inventing fictional nephews and sick Auties for dependency leave, having fake pregnancies and conveniently timed miscarriages, the works. What a world.
    I mean, it’s one way of navigating your way through work but one can kiss goodbye to opportunity with that approach, even if it won’t necessarily get you sacked.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the very physically intensive job of teaching. How could you ever do that with a sore shoulder?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I mean, it’s one way of navigating your way through work but one can kiss goodbye to opportunity with that approach, even if it won’t necessarily get you sacked.
    It is mainly done by useless people who will never get promoted anyway.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I imagine most employers find a way of sacking them anyway. It's not as if they'll be doing good work when they're present.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    He worked there and quit to join us. Not sure what he was doing, mind.
    A guy who worked for us in logistics for a while worked for McLaren in the past. He said it was amazing driving into the complex every day etc. but the job itself was boring and the pay wasn't great.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    It is mainly done by useless people who will never get promoted anyway.
    Quite. I'm probably too far the other way in terms of how much work I'll do so there's definitely a balance to be met, but if you asked me to swap my salary and current annual leave entitlement for a quarter of my salary and four times the number of days off I know which one I'd choose.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post

I might be wrong but I can’t imagine Jimmy’s workplace offer sick pay other than Statutory which is what 100 quid a week.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    A guy who worked for us in logistics for a while worked for McLaren in the past. He said it was amazing driving into the complex every day etc. but the job itself was boring and the pay wasn't great.
    I went through a couple interviews for them for the Computational Fluid Dynamics department (or whatever they call it, it's been a couple years) and the pay was quite low for that position as well. I think F1 teams just underpay on average, taking advantage of the "cool" factor of it all, even on administrative positions.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    I went through a couple interviews for them for the Computational Fluid Dynamics department (or whatever they call it, it's been a couple years) and the pay was quite low for that position as well. I think F1 teams just underpay on average, taking advantage of the "cool" factor of it all, even on administrative positions.
    Yeah definitely. That Red Bull mechanic with the dreads who is really popular with the cameramen these days said in an interview how you need to love F1 unconditionally to do their schedule without breaking.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    They are a huge employer around here but half the jobs are in shuffling about doing not much.