Page 127 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,350 of 11708

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This sort of attitude is why I'll never be a millionaire but I think I'm broadly with Antonio. I know fine well there is a point in my line of work where the extra money that would come with promotion is going to come with extra responsibility and hassle that I simply can't be arsed with and if I had a business that was keeping me comfortable I doubt I'd have the drive to be going "Well how much work would I need to put in to make an extra 10%?"
    This is me. My manager keeps banging on about be going on courses and taking on responsibilities because she won't be around forever and someone will have to step up blah blah blah.

All well and good love, but I don't want your job. There's little I can imagine worse than being a manager and an extra 5 or 6 grand a year isn't going to make it appealing to me. I'd only spend it on shiny shit I don't need anyway.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got asked by my manager last week why I didn't apply for a sort of intermediary manager role between his and my current one that came up.

I explained that actual management I can deal with but he seems to spend all his time on calls arguing with other people at our firm about the shite they're foisting on our team. Which I could imagine at least leading to some satisfying days when you managed to actually improve anything but given the shit we get just gets worse I'm not really seeing the incentive of progressing down that route here.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm shying away from the team leader stuff now. I just don't have the drive for it or need. I'm pretty sure I'm being trained on some phone stuff for my days in the office so I'll get reintroduced to giving the Great British Public a slight inconvenience.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night we were given the task of communicating the company's new bank details to our respective customers. We were sent a PDF which contains three sets of details (sterling, euro and dollar accounts) so obviously only one applies to each customer depending on their location. I did a big bcc email to each category making sure to triple check the right emails had the right details in them.

The guy who sits next to me decided that this was all too much hassle, and said 'I'm just going to send them all the pdf'. I did my best Sgt Wilson impression (as I often do with him) and asked if he really thought this was wise, as it would give the customers ample opportunity to read the wrong details and pay into the wrong currency account. He said no, of course it won't. I said well, it probably will. One of the sales managers heard the conversation, came over and agreed with me in quite strong terms. The guy ignored us and sent them the pdf anyway.

This morning we've already had I think 4 calls from confused customers asking in which currency they are supposed to pay. My man is now in the managing director's office taking an absolutely massive hairdryer. Haven't felt this smug in ages, but that's lazy idiots for you.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be running the place Jim, mark my words.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giz a job Jim. WFH obviously.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    You'll be running the place Jim, mark my words.
    All I have to do is somehow eliminate the 14 or so people above me in the structure and this could well come true.

The Grim Reaper should assist with about 3 of them.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    All I have to do is somehow eliminate the 14 or so people above me in the structure and this could well come true.

The Grim Reaper should assist with about 3 of them.
    If you're going to be a manager then you need to learn to delegate. Sounds like Spikey has his first task in his new role as the Smithers to your Burns

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Spikey can commit untraceable murders from home, then he's in.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just stage it as an eviction gone wrong. Simples.

I'm sure nobody would question 14 of those happening in the space of a week.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's not a CCTV camera in existence that could get a clear picture of my head. I'm in.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monday morning joy following a Friday annual leave backlog and a heavy weekend. The peace of death can't come soon enough.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m off today and tomorrow.

Toggle Spoiler
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off today as well. Meant to be a TD day but it's been split up into after school sessions instead. Had to keep hold of my son until lunch time, but dropped him off now and I'm on my own until 6

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14 working days remaining of this year

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an incredibly sensible weekend, lots of sleep, no booze since a pint of john smiths on monday, and yet i've had the most cack-brained idiot day in ages

Kept making stupid mistakes and could barely concentrate by about 3pm. Might as well have just got pissed anyway.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, on the other hand, had my heaviest weekend since Halloween and I still feel awful today. Might just give it up. I can't handle hangovers any more.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I, on the other hand, had my heaviest weekend since Halloween and I still feel awful today. Might just give it up. I can't handle hangovers any more.
    You should have slept it off outside the venue.

My hangovers don't seem to follow much rhyme or reason, though draught beer seems to fuck me up worse than anything else. I have had a lot of stinkers after 3 or 4 pints of beer recentlyish, but have had nights having 2 bottles of wine and a few spirit and mixers etc and have been absolutely fine the next day.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on a stag down in Glasgow and drank more on Friday than he have in the last 2 years combined. Saturday at Queens Park vs. Kilmarnock hospitality was not fun.

On the plus side:
    1. There is zero to none care for covid amongst the teen and twenties population in Glasgow. Also a very high proportion of attractive birds in the places I frequented.
    2. I’m off this week, so have spent most of today festering.
    3. Took my first ever lateral flow test and confirmed negative.

Think I’ll basically be in coast mode when I go back in next week.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am off work but am receiving delicious updates from the weekly whole company zoom from my mate.

Head of IT announced the new lad starting in the entry level position, and some woman muttered "another bloke" very audibly. The v senior department head running the meeting tried to play it off as "background noise", but the it guy wasn't having it and said "no, I heard what was said, and no women ever apply for jobs like this."

People reckon the person who said it was this super senior woman on about 70k, so very easy for her to moan from her privileged position. Like, yeah, there should be more women in IT and other traditional male jobs probably, but it's not really fair to expect the IT guy to instigate societal change by employing a hypothetical woman that hasn't even applied. I imagine she's contributed roughly fuck all to getting more women in IT jobs, but probably once shared something on LinkedIn and commented "wow really inspiring guys!" which is basically the same as doing something right?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Gammon. Bet you wouldn't have employed Sol Campbell or Paul Ince for the position either.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you work in IT if all you know is social media stories? No? Then shut up, women.
    I'm a twit

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does she have 'she/her' in her signature? If not, pile in.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My company is amazing in that literally every job is done by the expected gender. The board and directors are all male. The sales department is all male. The single marketing person is a woman. All the technical team are male (except the secretary), and all logistical/admin jobs are done by women. All expect one - the new chief engineer, who is a 23 year old blonde woman who every man in the company secretly fancies. Well, all but me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course they all fancy her, she's about a quarter of most of your firm's age and they probably all still think seeing a bit of ankle is pretty racy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've missed a perfectly good chance to have a phwoar there. This is exactly what Quincy was talking about.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, good point, what I meant was DOES SHE HAVE BIG TITS, JIMMY?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should it be a bird anyway? Best candidate.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recieved this email today:

What’s £85 plus VAT (I don’t know what VAT rate is anymore)?

Kindest Regards,

I replied saying VAT is 20% so it's £102, to which she replied:

Sorry to bother you and thanks I did recall the message as I’ve just googled it.

You are probably really busy having just returned from leave.
    To repeat a famous quote from my mate after our Mike jumped into a swimming pool and splashed water on his new sunglasses, THINK BEFORE YOU DO THINGS!

Also someone who emails me regularly has this on every email, in massive blue writing before her name:

If I don’t send a reply saying thank you or if you have cc’d me into an email for information and I don’t respond, it doesn’t mean I am not grateful for your email, I am trying to be efficient and reduce our inboxes.
    I'm not cut out for interraction.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    We had a new guy start in August as a designer. He's got plenty of experience, but his work was very "good, not great". But there was enough there to suggest he could become very good with the right guidence.

3 months later he's absolutely hopeless. His work is abysmal, and he works at a snail's pace. He's also got a really wierd habbit of sending instant messages over Discord as if they were an email - including a "Kind regards" sign off on every message. After a few days of seeing how the rest of us communicate, I thought he would've realised by now. What makes it worse is that he seems to spend between 5 and 10 minutes typing these messages out every time you ask him a simple question.

He had his review 2 weeks ago where I outlined all of the ways he was underperforming, but he's getting worse, if anything. He's somehow managed to get even slower, to the point where a client has complained to me this morning. Sadly, he's going to have to go.

He's a nice enough guy, but the sort of personality that I couldn't be around socially for more than 5 minutes. Think Ned Flanders with a Brummie accent.
    He's getting the bullet today. I've only ever had to sack someone once, and it was awful, mostly because the guy was just devestated. I'm expecting a similar reaction from this guy today.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fairness he was given feedback and didn’t buck up so he can’t have any complaints. A lot of places would just do you in the background with no warning you were underperforming.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Godspeed. Dropping your second body must be easier than the first.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in time for Christmas.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was going to be sacked, I reckon now would be about the best time, assuming I had the financial means to get through 4-6 weeks or so. No better time for a new life than January.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Just in time for Christmas.
    Homeless by Boxing Day.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No better day to be living in one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kid hasn't dreamed of living in a box castle in the park?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm paying him his December salary still, I couldn't bring myself to leave him jobless and penniless over Christmas.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true man of the people.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck that, that’s no life lesson.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some firm in whatever country it was at the time my dad worked for years ago decided the day to tell all their expat workers they were binning off their contracts was Christmas Eve.

By fax.

That really injected the Christmas spirit into the household.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooff. That's how you do it SVN.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Some firm in whatever country it was at the time my dad worked for years ago decided the day to tell all their expat workers they were binning off their contracts was Christmas Eve.

By fax.

That really injected the Christmas spirit into the household.
    I bet he regretted unwrapping his fax machine a day early.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    If I was going to be sacked, I reckon now would be about the best time, assuming I had the financial means to get through 4-6 weeks or so. No better time for a new life than January.
    I once had a month's paid gardening leave over the summer when the World Cup was on. Genuine high point that

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell, he just mentioned that he's proposing to his girlfriend at Christmas.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that before he comes into the abbatoir, or during?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lordy.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hasn't happened yet. The plan is to call him into the meeting room just as we finish. Means he doesn't have to pack up his shit in front of everyone.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So tomorrow morning everyone gets the email 'Please note that Mr Jacob Marley is no longer employed by SvN Enterprises' and he is never seen again?