User Tag List

Page 105 of 234 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,250 of 11689

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just the type of shit that organisations with far too many middle managers come up with.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Baz, is there some kind of open secret going round the office about someone getting battered at home? That's the only way I could see management signing off on this.
    There is no office.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black eyes all day and all night, then.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    It's just the type of shit that organisations with far too many middle managers come up with.
    Bored HR gimps who want to look busy

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more likely someone someone knows running the training consultancy firm.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis would have loved firm our HR brought in. They're supposed to be the anonymous go-between us plebs and managment.

So I go to their seminar and its a 45 minute presentation on, 'Unless your boss says something racist or sexist. Or several people in the company are beating you up in the hallways (they called it mobbing). The problem is you.'

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phonics is right, the process with all of these things is:

An issue gets media coverage - Some ambulance chasing chancers think they can monetise it - issue gets more coverage - chancers 'reach out' to company HR departments - HR love it - I end up in a course being told that having a conversation with a 'colleague' (no one is an employee these days) who suffers from a genuine mental illness (to the point of suicidal thoughts) needn't be difficult.

It's symptomatic of the woeful approach we have to all issues as a society at the moment, in that people seem to think that if you shout about a problem loudly enough and do something, that's job done.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on. Style over substance in all things.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I contractually obliged to converse with my manager when on sick? I've informed her when I'll be back and that I'm happy to receive any "important" updates via message. Take the hint, love.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think our lot only does that on long-term sick.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your manager can't crawl too far up your arse if you have kept them in the loop. Union would be barbequing their kidneys by the end of the day for that at our spot.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A job's on the horizon I may actually consider. They're proposing every team leader has a deputy to share the workload. As long as that means no meetings, I'd probably go for it. One step up on the pay grade, too.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I'd be delegating is the meetings.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been feeling somewhat underpaid lately (particularly given billable hours and firm performance over last 9 months) so I've actually engaged with some recruiters on LinkedIn for once.

Potential salaries elsewhere certainly better than what I'm on atm (potentially about 60% better) but it's a mix of law firms and in-house positions (1 in London, other 2 same location).

I was initially using this as a way to negotiate a stronger salary but the discrepancy is large enough to consider moving, albeit moving in-house at 1 year Post-Qualification is arguably not the most sensible decision.

Decision, decisions.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any harm in asking your current place first anyway? Best scenario that's one more option for you, worst case you're still looking at moving elsewhere.

Depends on your relationship with your boss, I guess.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'd wait until I have an offer before mentioning it. Then weigh up what it would take to stay where you are.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does this disgraceful ruling relate to us hard-working civil servants? I ask because the people doing my exact job at the Foreign Office earn almost twice what I do, so is the 'single source' our specific departments or the civil service generally? The different pay bands would suggest the former, but the common pension scheme the latter.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to go into the office yesterday for the controversial and terrifying FACE TO FACE meeting. Or it would have been, but our resident Team Panic member booked a days leave for it.

Not a mask in sight for the rest of us. Even though we were indoors and standing up. Fuck the police. (Is that even the rules anymore? I have no idea)

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it’s the rules
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People (and I know loads of them) being tentative/scared about returning to the office really makes me laugh as I sit here on day 449 or whatever since the pandemic started parked at the same desk as always.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    People (and I know loads of them) being tentative/scared about returning to the office really makes me laugh as I sit here on day 449 or whatever since the pandemic started parked at the same desk as always.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
    She's honestly ridiculous. Everytime we have a (Skype) meeting she sits there shaking her head whilst people talk about what they've been up to. It's a shame because she was a social butterfly before all this. She's beyond repair now.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
    Odd take.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me, it hasn't. A virus has gone round. Otherwise it's all exactly as before. My workplace is exactly as per 2019 except there are a few little-used bottles of sanitiser lying around. If you're choosing to shit your pants and think that video calls are the new norm in place of human interaction, that's up to you.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll look forward to shitting my pants 2/3 times a week for the foreseeable.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in very different worlds Jim. Nothing has changed at your place maybe, but at my place only 1 team are going into work and the 8 of them are in 4 different rooms with 3 out of every 4 desks taped off.

The staff themselves largely don't give a shit and only follow the rules if someone is looking, but from a business perspective a fuck tonne has changed.

We were all discussing how this shit has completely jumped the shark yesterday. The disruption : risk ratio is pathetic. We now live in a world where Covid literally is "just like the flu", so why aren't we getting on with it like we do every winter.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps what I mean is nothing needs to have changed. Either you shit the bed or you don't. We are having a very very good year, that's all I can say. A couple of our main UK based competitors have gone full work from home / shut off premises and are drowning as a result.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoken like a true company man.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    We live in very different worlds Jim. Nothing has changed at your place maybe, but at my place only 1 team are going into work and the 8 of them are in 4 different rooms with 3 out of every 4 desks taped off.

The staff themselves largely don't give a shit and only follow the rules if someone is looking, but from a business perspective a fuck tonne has changed.

We were all discussing how this shit has completely jumped the shark yesterday. The disruption : risk ratio is pathetic. We now live in a world where Covid literally is "just like the flu", so why aren't we getting on with it like we do every winter.
    Well it isn't quite yet because there's still a portion who are vulnerable and unvaccinated. It's not a forever thing mind and I do agree we need to return to some sort of normality (where I can order a beer without an app).

Our work is moving to hybrid after this 40-60% in the office working week. I'm happy enough with that. Most of us won't return until September either.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it not the same portion that also aren't allowed the Flu Jab though? (Aside from the allergy mob).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a customer who needs a head gasket for a boat. I asked her for the 8-digit engine number so I could look up the right one. She sent me first E11*97/68GA*2002/88*0235*02 , then 7CEXL0275AAF, and then, as a final salvo, when pointed out that neither of these were 8 digits and that it is 8 numbers with no letters, she offered 47202-3005.

Upon being asked for the 4th time for an 8-digit engine number, she sent back simply: "Please! I need this head gasket today!"

Honestly hope her boat fucking sinks.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ask someone for something simple twice without receiving it, their request gets left for the full 10 working days I'm allowed to take to reply.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sassy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn straight.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interview at my current school yesterday for Assistant Head of Year. Found out today I got it. Definitely my best interview to date and given one of the smarmy cunts I was up against I think I would have walked if he got it and I didn't.

Also a relief given how many interviews I've bombed to date.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats.

Clearly something you’ve been working towards and wanting for some time.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats mo.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers both. Been trying to get into Middle Leadership for a couple of years, either 2nd in subject/department or pastoral with little success. This is only 1 year fixed term so depending on how things go this role might not exist by this time next year - but a Head of Year role might come up instead and having this would put me in a good position.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the best with it.

My day almost shat the bed when windows decided it couldn't load on the thin client. It's been threatening to kill itself for weeks now but today I had to boot it back to life from a USB stick.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in Mo.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Mo.

And I sympathise Shinners, our servers keeled over at 10am and reappeared at 1pm 'fixed', by which the IT boffins meant they rolled them back to before the weekend because it's not like anyone had done any work since then...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mo money mo problem.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Employer have basically told me to apply for a promotion, looks certain I'll get it tbh as there's nobody else with the same skill-set.

I am currently at the top of my wage band for my current job, as I've been there a few years. This new job is on the wage band above. Is it standard practice for me to start at the bottom of this wage band? The reason I ask is because there's not much difference in money between the top of my current band and the bottom of the next one.

On a related note then: Is it likely to be alright for me to ask to start higher up on the wage band? I don't want to sound arrogant but I don't really need the change and they honestly probably do need me more than I need them. It can't hurt to ask, right? I've not negotaited my wages before so I don't know these things.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you hold the cards. Make the request in writing so you can't be fobbed off. Absolutely should not be a problem trying for more money.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fine to negotiate (at worst they can just say no) and then you just need to be clear on your position: would you take the move for roughly the same money? If you move up, how long can you expect to stay on that salary? What are the requirements for progression etc.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't bring it up they will absolutely start you at the bottom of the next band. Negotiate now because if you are anything like what my place is unless you are delivering heaven and earth on the daily you will never get bumped up the band significantly.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was mentioned in a linkedin post by work yesterday after an internal presentation but instead of the word lead, they've typo'd and put lad. So I'm now an AUTOMATION LAD. With all the banter and mates included.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Automation Lad and the Spreadsheet Badboy will return...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter Crouch's sidekicks need some work.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Automation Lad is my workplace nemesis.