User Tag List

Page 116 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,800 of 11737

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed I can't concentrate as well in the office now, if I want to get my head down and crack on I have to out my headphones in.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I have noticed I can't concentrate as well in the office now, if I want to get my head down and crack on I have to out my headphones in.
    My first day back at our [sexy new] offices too and this x1000.

New location of the office is fucking hideous though, Stratford is London's dubai.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one of my close colleagues chucked his notice in today. People I like are dropping like flies. I'm unsure as to whether all the departures will improve my bargaining position (as the person left with the most experience/knowledge by far) or make life a nightmare as I'll have to do everything.

The job still suits me at the moment as they've dangled this carrot of running South America when the 79 year old retires, and it's quite low stress for the most part, or at least that's the energy I take to it. I just wonder if the carrot's real and if the 79 year old ever will retire.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was gonna say, you'll be there waiting when he's 103 and still somehow doing it.

We've had a bunch of people leave our team and I might join them to be honest. My job is fine but boring and I don't think there's a next job I want in this company so yeah.

Would mean leaving #teamengineer though, most likely.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The odds they die before retiring improve with every passing second.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah I was gonna say, you'll be there waiting when he's 103 and still somehow doing it.

We've had a bunch of people leave our team and I might join them to be honest. My job is fine but boring and I don't think there's a next job I want in this company so yeah.

Would mean leaving #teamengineer though, most likely.
    You saw what happened to Magic when he left Team Engineer, you idiot. It's suicide.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in a weird place where I have my desired hours/work life balance and like my manager, the work isn't constant stress - but I think it is a job where I will end up staying and just maxing out the top of the band if I want to stay in the department. It feels like the other routes for progression are more money for either a lot more stress or unsociable hours. Just a shame I am getting paid £20k+ less than everyone I deal with internally despite the role being integral to business operations.

There is a potential drama on the horizon where someone has moved from a higher paying role into our department suspiciously, and there has been little elaboration on this odd move. If they have been moved out of necessity instead of choice (medical etc) they will retain their wage which will cause a shitstorm.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    You saw what happened to Magic when he left Team Engineer, you idiot. It's suicide.
    If I start showing the symptoms (posting an endless stream of self-owns, an inclination toward wanking in waiting rooms, appear to have a picture of the rage meme where my frontal lobe should be) just send somebody round in the Van and have me euthanised like Geronimo.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our leavers are all usually down to retirement. It's mostly that kind of ageing workforce and, to be honest, it's an alright pay for people like me with no serious skills. Not that I don't have the inclination to skill up, I just think doing that here seems impossible. If they had us all back in the office, it'd be easier to shadow a manager.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did my second day in the office yesterday with the rest of the team. First time we've all been in the same room for 18 months. No headset so I couldn't take calls. Good to be back.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left my fucking keyboard in the office yesterday. Balls.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gone from my place as soon as I find something that pays adequately.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same. I'm struggling to keep up even the pretense of giving a shit at the moment.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do wonder sometimes if my 20 days holiday and OK-ish salary here amounts to a good deal, in exchange for leaving bang on 5 every day and it only being 20 minutes from my house. Probably doesn't.

I expect there will be a wave of people leaving their jobs and getting fresh starts post-pandemic, all over the country. We've all (well, most of us) survived the last two years but it's been miserable as sin, hasn't it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That went long ago, my salary effectively goes down every year (no cost of living increases) so the amount of shits I give does the same.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My career is fucked and my line manager told me as much. “They really shouldn’t have placed you in [job] in two consecutive reorganisations.”

Effectively been told they won’t even consider me for a promotion unless I go do another, completely different, role and I’m not going to meet the “senior engineer” criteria without it. Also not allowed to apply for any roles until end of 2022.

Which is interesting, given the team I work for are telling me to support one platform and provide overview/verification for the other and the reason for that is that I’m a senior engineer. Erm… excuse me?

They are also trying to get me to take ownership of a gap in the organisation (more responsibility) as a development opportunity, despite the fact it’s basically doing my previous boss’ job (which now doesn’t exist and wasn’t thought to be included in this organisation design in error) which i did cover of for 3.5 years.

Motivation is low. In some respects it’s fine, it’s a pretty well paid job and I don’t really have that much accountability so if I treat it as such, it’s more palatable. Has decoupled performance from progression in my head though. Ultimately it’s made no difference for me, so probably not worth the effort.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    They are also trying to get me to take ownership of a gap in the organisation (more responsibility) as a development opportunity
    That's a no. I mean unless you'd rather do it than whatever you're doing now. Otherwise they're just trying to promote you for free and you're gaining nothing out of it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently read somewhere that the worst part of getting older is realising that your future opportunities, once almost innumerable, are now being cut off in front of your very eyes. Doesn't just apply to work, but it spooked me all the same.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I sort of swung back as “my line manager says I need new development opportunities, that doesn’t sound any different to what I did before…?”

Ultimately they’re going to make me do it. It’s not a new job, just the same job with different expectations which boils down to the original point I made to them of “the job I’m doing here feels like a senior engineer job, why isn’t it?”.

Such a flat organisation that it’s going to be near impossible finding promotion opportunities anyway, so if my line manager has it in his head I’m a ways off then it’s not worth even thinking about. I either just do the job (on my terms as per original intent of the role) or I leave.

At least the bonus might be decent, but staff morale across the board is horrendous which is mental when oil is $80/bbl again.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I recently read somewhere that the worst part of getting older is realising that your future opportunities, once almost innumerable, are now being cut off in front of your very eyes. Doesn't just apply to work, but it spooked me all the same.
    Being a parent allows you to have that experience even younger. As a kid I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I just fucked off to Uni and did a generic business degree. Now I work a generic office job and I'm so fucking bored.

I should have learnt a trade. I'd love to be my own boss and mooch about building / fixing / decorating shit. No chance now. Full time wage slave and fuck all freetime to learn anything.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so thankful to the millennial lot for being soft as shite, we'd be utterly screwed if they weren't.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else, even the Mahows of the world, wish they'd chosen PE as one of their "options" at school? With no plans for a career in it, but just cos it would have been a laugh?

IT and business studies, what was I thinking? Learned nothing I hadn't already taught myself in IT and business studies was, well, business studies. GCSE PE would have made my days at school miles better.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Does anyone else, even the Mahows of the world, wish they'd chosen PE as one of their "options" at school? With no plans for a career in it, but just cos it would have been a laugh?

IT and business studies, what was I thinking? Learned nothing I hadn't already taught myself in IT and business studies was, well, business studies. GCSE PE would have made my days at school miles better.
    100%.

I actually loved PE and was decent at it. We also had Games at school which was with half of the school year and the sports were picked by seasons. It was shit and I never bothered with that though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to decide in highers whether I wanted to do Maths or PE. Imagine telling a what, 15 year old, to pick whether they wanted to have a future or not.

That PE class would’ve been great too. all the no hopers smashing a football around a field. The PE teacher was a really fit brunette lady too

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was top of my year at Music and didn't take it any further. I can still hear the seething from one of the various gays that ran the music department as I sauntered off to History, never to be seen again.

Probably should have stuck with the marimbas.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that as "into History" which gives the whole a much more 'but I chose fame and fortune' vibe.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what keeps me from not getting overly bored/frustrated with my job is the fact that I don't go to bed/wake up dreading it like everybody else I know does with theirs. I would like (and should be paid) more money, and I can probably screw some more out of it over the short-term; but even then if I wanted to stay in my area of interest I would have to move to Bristol or London, and they aren't going to pay me enough to make that worthwhile any time soon.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every day's a reset for me. I don't really get why people would be under pressure at my level.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one more customer comes to me telling me their request for some washers worth £4.87 is VERY VERY URGENT, IMMEDIATE RESPONSE REQUIRED I might just start deleting things. Repeat after me: you - do - not - matter.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a client that puts pre-empts every email subject with "Urgent: ". I've had thousands of emails off her in the last 5 years, and I would say over 80% include it. Every now and then we even get an "URGENT: ", and I think there was even a "VERY URGENT: " once.

I can only assume she never heard the Boy Who Cried Wolf fable as a child.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they not just use the high importance button on outlook?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These people can get fucked. I’ll decide how highly important it is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use it when I am sending something that is time sensitive and the same day, usually to prevent train cancellations.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my new role (same school) I'm now part of the pastoral team for years 7&8. It's only now I appreciate how tightly controlled the information is about students that is given to teachers and form tutors, and why. Some of the shit I've read/heard about in the last four weeks alone has been incredible, and I'm at a school in a leafy Wiltshire market town - we don't have particularly high levels of disadvantaged students or deprivation. Some, but it's nothing like an inner city comp.

One lad, who is particularly troubled and the school tried to reject on the basis that we can't meet his needs, apparently hates his name. Mum said he wants to use one of his middle names. Fine, get that updated on the system, email teachers, etc. By break time he hated that too, and so far as I can tell has adopted 6 or 7 different names in the last few days. So now he's going to get a sticky label every morning, write down what he wants to be called, and wear it throughout the day.

(Obviously this is just weird, not harrowing as I alluded to above, but I won't go into that)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our boss has decided to jack up our expected productivity by 15%. I take it from that, head office didn't quite fancy greenlighting some new temps.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    In my new role (same school) I'm now part of the pastoral team for years 7&8. It's only now I appreciate how tightly controlled the information is about students that is given to teachers and form tutors, and why. Some of the shit I've read/heard about in the last four weeks alone has been incredible, and I'm at a school in a leafy Wiltshire market town - we don't have particularly high levels of disadvantaged students or deprivation. Some, but it's nothing like an inner city comp.

One lad, who is particularly troubled and the school tried to reject on the basis that we can't meet his needs, apparently hates his name. Mum said he wants to use one of his middle names. Fine, get that updated on the system, email teachers, etc. By break time he hated that too, and so far as I can tell has adopted 6 or 7 different names in the last few days. So now he's going to get a sticky label every morning, write down what he wants to be called, and wear it throughout the day.

(Obviously this is just weird, not harrowing as I alluded to above, but I won't go into that)
    I don't want to sound like an LBC presenter here, it's a genuine question: do you think that kind of system is preferable to the 1970s approach of: 'Your name is James you silly clot, now sit down' ? There can't be a lot in it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's that, James? You're left handed?
    *thrashes*

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to sound like an LBC presenter here, it's a genuine question: do you think that kind of system is preferable to the 1970s approach of: 'Your name is James you silly clot, now sit down' ? There can't be a lot in it.
    I'm skeptical with the revolving door of names tbh. County lauded it as an 'inclusive school' policy and the idea came from someone with a wealth of experience. It seems to make an unhappy child happy, so why not try it I guess?

We've a number of students (disproportionally high I'd have thought) who are identifying as a different gender, or in one case, non-binary, and thus a lot of name changes. I sort of respect that in a 'you do you' type of way but you do wonder for how many it's just a phase.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking snowflakes.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    County lauded it as an 'inclusive school' policy and the idea came from someone with a wealth of experience.
    As long as SCIENCE says so.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate's teenage lad has a non binary girlfriend, she has chosen the name Keith. As someone reacted at the time, how is that not binary? Surely you should pick something like Zargon.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your mate's teenage lad not regret that he is now shagging a non-binary girlfriend called Keith?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah all that shagging what a chore.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Keith's got great tits.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics?

I've got two weeks in my role before I fuck off to Germany. House will be packed at the start of next week. First benefit of brexit being realised etc.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a guy in a team I inherited who use to overuse that to the point of genuinely giving me brain damage. He had to go.

Conversely, the best boss I've ever had never used it once.

I don't know quite how it's happening, but a generation of children are being created who cannot handle anything. It's really quite sad.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the UK right now is the result of generations of people who "can handle" things then bring on the ladyKeiths.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd rather things were worse?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you give a kid the option to pretend to be someone else, they'll take it every time.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    You'd rather things were worse?
    I'm sure you don't actually think you're the first middle aged person to think the youth of their time are a load of useless softies who can't hack life. Because that's just what humans do as they get old and probably have been ever since we were capable of forming the thought "I tell you, the youth of today...."