User Tag List

View Poll Results: What will Christian Horner whinge about the most?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Something French

1 14.29%
  • Someone French

0 0%
  • Robert Kubica's weird hairline

1 14.29%
  • Martin Brundle's tiny legs

0 0%
  • His awful wife

1 14.29%
  • Being asked a question

4 57.14%
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 1528

Thread: Formula 1 2018 - No Women Edition

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expecting slower lap times stands out. What's the point then?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They want to reduce dirty air and make cars easier to follow. Fans think they want a spec series with wacky overtaking when what they actually want is more than one team to be competent at any given time.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, Ferrari's incompetence has fuck all to do with budget and aero. Red Bull have had their moments too. You usually get five different winners a season regardless of hardware. That and Hamilton is simply too good. Once he leaves, there's a proper scramble between the rest.
    Last edited by Shindig; 01-11-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis is on his way to become the GOAT. Ferrari have fucked up too many times this season with random weirdness.
    Last edited by SincereTheRebel; 01-11-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Hamilton has already surpassed Schumacher as the best I've seen, partly because he has always raced fairly.

Fangio, Clark and Senna I have as a top three and it's hard to really judge him with or above them unless he goes off and wins in a shitbucket (albeit none of those three really did that, because it's almost impossible).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis is yet to have the FIA purposefully screw over his team in order to stop him winning so that sort of evens out Schumis cheating. They're pretty similar to me, both the fastest on their respective grids; both got themselves into the best team/car at the right time; both able to win in inferior machinery; both changed the sport in some manner (Schumacher with his approach to conditioning and Hamilton with his ability to overtake almost anywhere).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have just spent 24 years despising Schumacher (even the vegetable version, soz Schumi) so it's hard to be unbiased.

I have:
    1 Clark
    2 Senna
    3 Fangio
    4 Prost
    5 Hamilton / Schumacher / maybe Stewart

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Fans think they want a spec series with wacky overtaking when what they actually want is more than one team to be competent at any given time.
    Nailed it. If we had a more competent Ferrari and a better engine in the Red Bull we'd easily have at least a 3 way fight each season. But we'll see which of them takes the baton and runs off with the 2021 season, because that'll happen.

As for Hamilton, it'll be it'll be interesting to see how he's looked back upon. He's broken a lot of records and should complete the ones he hasn't before he hangs it up. The only one he wont get is fastest laps, especially now they've opened up the extra point for it.

He should grab the wins record and could push it into triple figures depending on what happens in 2021. He's a full 30 ahead of Vettel too, so it'll be onto the next generation in LeClerc and Max to try and chase him down.

Yet even now I know plenty who disregard him as a top driver for various reasons.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ever sensible Joe Saward posted this today which seems apposite.

Things were not better in the past.

We live in troubled times, or at least we think we do. A recent survey by political scientists at the University of Michigan, the Université de Montréal, and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, which was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, concluded that people across the world find bad news more interesting than good news. The survey was based on 1,156 respondents in 17 countries, across six continents, and showed a negativity bias in psychophysiological reactions to video news content. The people being surveyed watched seven randomly ordered BBC World News stories on a laptop computer while wearing noise-cancelling headphones and sensors on their fingers to capture skin conductance and blood volume pulse.

In other laboratory experiments it was found that people can hit a button faster when responding to negative words, rather than positive ones. The word “bomb” gets a quicker response that the word “baby”. The theory is that humans have evolved to react more quickly to potential threats and paying attention to negative news is generally a more effective survival strategy. Thus, the argument goes, reports about sudden disasters are more compelling than slow improvements. You never turn on the news and hear a reporter saying: “I’m live from a place where war has NOT broken out”. Plane crashes always make the news, but car crashes kill far more people but are rarely mentioned.

In a world where news has become a money-making industry, the goal of publishers is not to report accurately, but rather to get higher ratings, or more hits. In the United States they have an expression for this: “If it bleeds, it leads”. Journalists used to report the news in a fair and balanced way, with integrity, but today news-gathering is being sensational, interviewing victims and their families. It’s about ratings and the advertising revenues that comes from them.

The reason I ruminate on these matters is twofold: firstly, it’s fascinating stuff; and secondly because Formula 1 suffers from incredibly negative coverage, even when the sport itself seems to be doing pretty well. It’s a concept that I have been trying to understand for a few years now. Formula 1 is a world of positive people, always pushing forwards, always looking ahead. The only reason they look backwards is when they analyse things that have gone wrong and learn from their mistakes. There are a few who believe that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong, but most believe that things will work out in the end. That doesn’t mean they don’t complain and criticise, but they are not bogged down in negativity. They don’t think like victims. They live for the day - and for the future.

One of the things that I have noticed over time is that so many media and race fans are lost in nostalgia for F1 in earlier ages. Some think of the 1960s, others of the 1980s. Things were always better in the past, or so they think. That is not true in the F1 paddock. If you live in the past in F1, you lose and you are gone.

When I hear people say that Formula 1 is not like it used to be, I disagree. It’s different, sure, but in the overall scheme of things it’s better in so many ways - and it is getting better still with each passing year. Yes, perhaps there are too many races, and drivers do not show their true character as much as they used to, perhaps there is too much emphasis on safety but, in the overall scheme of things, the past was not better. This point was made to me, years ago, by the 1967 World Champion, Denny Hulme, who I had the great good fortune to get to know quite well.

“We used to race anywhere and everywhere,” he said. “We didn’t take any notice of the trees, power poles and rocks. We just raced. If you looked back now you’d say we were bloody stupid, but we didn’t know any better. Now we have the most incredibly hygienic circuits you have ever seen. Some people criticise them. They say it’s terribly boring motor racing. Yes, compared to the old Nürburgring, I suppose it is. But it’s better than going to a funeral every Tuesday morning.”

Idealizing the past and being negative about the present is a waste of time because nostalgia is a warm and fuzzy version of reality, rather than the real thing. Woody Allen highlighted this in his wonderful “Midnight in Paris”in 2011 in which the lead character, Gil Pender (played by Owen Wilson), finds himself transported back in time to the expatriate artistic circles of Paris in the Roaring Twenties, meeting such literary luminaries as Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stein. In his visits to the Twenties, he meets the seductive Adriana, played by Marion Cotillard, who explains to him that she believes that life was better in the Paris of the Belle Epoque in the 1890s. They travel together back to that era and encounter great artists such as Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Edgar Degas and Paul Gauguin, but they find that Gauguin is nostalgic for the Renaissance, which itself was an expression of a longing for an idealized past in the age of antiquity.

Understanding that the past is not really better than the present, Pender is able to return to his modern life and sort out his problems by freeing himself of fear and negativity and he ends up looking to the future, personified by Gabrielle, an antique dealer played by Léa Seydoux.

What F1 media forgets in its nostalgia and negativity is that they are living the dream and that the millions of people around the world who read their words don’t want to be told how bad things are. They want their dream of F1 to be a positive place. Perhaps the lure of bad news still exists - it’s apparently in our DNA - but we will all be better off if we look at the positives and not always look for crises and fights, crashes and scandals.

We should embrace and enjoy the moment with great characters such as Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo. We should appreciate the strange monosyllabic icon who is Kimi Raikkonen and we should be excited by the new generation, rising up to battle the big stars - and one another - moving this great sport on to a new era, which will be different, but no less fascinating...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much faster are the hamiltons compared to the senna's? They raced at the same venues and track layouts?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senna's pole time at Interlagos in 1994: 1:15.962
    Lewis' 2018 pole: 1:07.281

That's the power of downforce.

Prost's 1993 Monaco pole: 1:20.557
    Ricciardo's 2018 pole: 1:10.810
    Last edited by Shindig; 02-11-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current cars are quicker/better than old cars, but the old cars were obviously harder to drive, I would say, or at least there were a lot more pitfalls in driving them as well as in terms of reliability.

There is basically a lot less randomness now. Even compared to ten years ago you don't get Jarno Trulli or whoever chucking his Toyota on the front row in favourable circumstances. How many times this year have McLaren down qualified anyone in the top six?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer to the above question is more third rows than I thought, but only once (Ricciardo in Canada) have any of them got onto the second row.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cheerleaders seem to conflate necessary safety improvements with everything else that has been regulated to death. It seems to me that you could still satisfy the constructors' desire for some sense of certainty with a simple engine formula alongside simple regulations (no movable aerodynamics, one tank of fuel, etc.) to make it worth a wank.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 latest "changes" to the Formula show what will happen when it changes again.

The move to stop the Red Bull winning everything brought us into the hybrids. Mercedes were so far ahead of everyone that it took about 4 years for anyone to even get close with a power unit. Then we change the aero about 2 years ago and again Mercedes have the best package and it's taken until about now for any other car to properly compete with them.

Ferrari fucking up spectacularly aside, next year we should have a pretty good race between 2, possibly 3 teams. Then we hit the reset button again. In all likelihood we will have 1 team get it very right and walk the title. If it's the teams in the midfield you want overtaking and battling harder, then great. Get rid of your pay drivers and actually bring in someone who can race.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autosport mentioned in a video how they feel changing regs every five years knackers the field up. It needs to be something closer to ten years to allow the field to tighten. We had a gloriously competitive summer with Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes sharing the spoils. That's getting thrown to the wind unless a top team (ala McLaren in 2009) completely lose their footing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair I think Ferrari have probably had the edge on car this year, certainly on power unit. They've been the architects of their own downfall and also up against an all time great driver.

No doubt the new formula will see Stroll and Racing Point, well, stroll into an era of unsurpassed dominance.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7.10pm start for the race tonight, that nearly caught me out.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricciardo and Vettel trying not to laugh at this clown's attempt at the anthem....

Last edited by John Arne; 03-11-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a feeling Mad Max is going to blow something up on lap one again. Hope I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a feeling Mad Max is going to blow something up on lap one again. Hope I'm wrong.
    I don't like Ferrari but I wish he was at there instead of Vettel, I'd love to see his aggressiveness in combination with a competitive car.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norris made 4 overtakes on the final 6 or 7 laps, but thanks to the TV director, I don't think we saw any.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Norris made 4 overtakes on the final 6 or 7 laps, but thanks to the TV director, I don't think we saw any.
    I thought it was pit stop related or something considering they didn't show it lol

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've rather gone off this track, there are two runways that are a bit of a joke with DRS enabled. Would be a much better circuit with no DRS.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've rather gone off this track, there are two runways that are a bit of a joke with DRS enabled. Would be a much better circuit with no DRS.
    It desperately needs resurfacing but it's also still settling so they don't want to spend the money until it's stopped moving.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a huge number of speed bumps at COTA. It was mental watching them practice, qualify and race. Hadn’t noticed it in previous years but was extremely obvious this year. There’s cracks all over the place on the track too, it’s in terrible nick.

Did anyone notice coming out of the pit lane joining the track there was in essence a speed bump? Wouldn’t be surprised if that was in part at fault for vettels issues.

Watched practice and qualifying at turn 19, then the race at turn 1.

Pink performance was the best part.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The run up to turn one is one of the worst bits because that hill is just the pile of rubbish they made building the rest of the circuit and has settled like crazy as a result.

I love how F1 works sometimes, Red Bull came up with an idea of how Ferrari are getting so much more power out of their engine but rather than make accusations they asked the FIA if they could do it. Cue a technical directive saying it was against the regs and would be deemed illegal. Coincidentally we saw Ferrari well off the pace again this weekend with no sign of their recent straight line advantage. We'll see if it's back in Brazil but it's all a bit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have developed a hankering to go to a GP, but knowing Silverstone is a boggy mess I think it might have to be one of the foreign ones. Zandvoort would be cool but sounds like a nightmare to get to.

If Catalunya survives I reckon that might be a surprisingly good place to watch one.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    France, Austria, Germany all suffer from the same issue of being miles away from anything sensible, less of s problem if you're planning to camp but still a bugger to get to. Spain survived so will be on the calendar next year. I've always fancied Hungary but I have no idea what the logistics would be like.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Did anyone notice coming out of the pit lane joining the track there was in essence a speed bump? Wouldn’t be surprised if that was in part at fault for vettels issues.
    I swear coming out of that first corner I saw his car violently wobble back and forth like how one would if they hit a speed bump sideways, I was surprised not to see a replay.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    France, Austria, Germany all suffer from the same issue of being miles away from anything sensible, less of s problem if you're planning to camp but still a bugger to get to. Spain survived so will be on the calendar next year. I've always fancied Hungary but I have no idea what the logistics would be like.
    I actually think Monaco would be a doozy if one had the money to throw at it. You won't find me camping at Spa so it might have to be a random fascination I have with driving to Monza and back.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off to Hanoi next year for my first GP

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes with Bellend Corner, the most mickey mouse piece of circuit design I think I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...199-f1-roller/

Probably faster than the current Williams, even without the engine.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes with Bellend Corner, the most mickey mouse piece of circuit design I think I've ever seen.
    Down Shaftsbury avenue, then around the cock au loop.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nominations for worst corners in F1 history

1. The Singapore Sling (RIP in pieces, ur with the angles now)
    2. That stupid thing in the stadium in the current incarnation of Mexico
    3. Any of the temporary chicanes they have installed at Barcelona over the years
    4. Turn one at Austin - want to make it any wider, lads?
    5. Acqua Minerale - yes, classic tracks can have shit corners too.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really gave it a roundabout

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nominations for worst corners in F1 history

1. The Singapore Sling (RIP in pieces, ur with the angles now)
    2. That stupid thing in the stadium in the current incarnation of Mexico
    3. Any of the temporary chicanes they have installed at Barcelona over the years
    4. Turn one at Austin - want to make it any wider, lads?
    5. Acqua Minerale - yes, classic tracks can have shit corners too.
    I vote for the pitlane in Abu Dhabi.

On Vietnam, if they get the donger bit right then that could actually be pretty spectacular. The roundabout is far worse, what a sight the cars will make dribbling through there.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are two DRS zones on the parallel straights then it'll surely just be a wife-swapping exercise.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those houses on one side of the straight? Imagine living there listening to cars going 250mph a few hundred yards from your house for four days.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever retire to the Isle of Man, I'm grabbing a place in Kirk Michael for that very reason.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Are those houses on one side of the straight? Imagine living there listening to cars going 250mph a few hundred yards from your house for four days.
    The people in Miami Gardens are going ape shit about this same type of prospect.

I can't necessarily blame them, given the proximity, but I swear to God if my dream Miami Grand Prix gets ruined I'm going to be so fucking sad.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    The people in Miami Gardens are going ape shit about this same type of prospect.

I can't necessarily blame them, given the proximity, but I swear to God if my dream Miami Grand Prix gets ruined I'm going to be so fucking sad.
    Isn't it right next to the football stadium? I'm not sure there argument holds water.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it right next to the football stadium? I'm not sure there argument holds water.
    Oh the football stadium is right in the heart of a neighborhood that's what I'm saying. If you click the link you can see how close the houses and stuff are.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They listen to Karaoke every fucking night, the F1 cars will be a welcome change, I imagine.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Betting tip: whatever you can find on Alex Albon for the win/podium at this weekend's race, have a little dabble.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Podium maybe.

I assume you're basing that on more than a decent time in FP1.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I presume that was tyre/conditions assisted, I just think the Red Bull is going to be good around here and weird things happen in dead rubbers at Interlagos.

Win is obviously a stretch but his odds compared to Max are ludicrous. He's been very solid at the last half a dozen races, Dr Marko appears to have made a good driver decision for the first time in about a decade.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 15-11-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By default, he was pretty much the only option left open to them after they binned the rest of the Helmut Youth. I always expect Interlagos to be an engine circuit because of the straight but it really isn't, Max would have won a couple of years ago if he hadn't driven into a Frenchman.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just got Netflix, I've been watching some of the 'Drive to Survive' docs this week. A lot of it is pretty basic/contrived for a long term spectator like me (it's aimed at 'new fans' and Americans, as far as I can see) but there are nonetheless some superb behind the scenes moments in it, particularly of Christian Horner seething about various things, Cyril mugging him off, and Gunther Steiner swearing at people. The team bosses are in most cases a lot more interesting than the drivers, though it has probably always been that way.