Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 80's and the 90's

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I think I find the 1980s the least interesting generation of modern music.

Early '60s - very good
    Late 60s/early 70s - excellent
    late 70s - good

Then the 90s are pretty good, early 2000s okay, and most of the stuff I listen to regularly is from 2005 onwards.

I'm no big fan of pop music but it doesn't seem to be any worse or better off than it was. With the exception of the likes of the Jackson 5 and the lighter Beatles stuff, Shake it Off by Taylor Swift is up there with the very best of that genre.

I think the internet has completely changed music consumption and those who take a real interest in it aren't really getting it through traditional channels any more. Radio and music channels certainly aren't the place to listen to the best music of this generation, which wasn't the case when MTV was first starting out. Those sorts of people always bought albums over singles anyway so it always seem strange to me that people point to those in the Top 40 when griping that music ain't what it was. Guns 'N' Roses never had a UK Number 1, for example.
    Guns N Roses were an album/stadium band, which is where real quality is distinguished. Appetite for Destruction is still the fastest selling debut album of all time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davgooner View Post
    Harold, do you have any time for Myles Kennedy's work with Slash?

In general this thread seems to be people arguing about which of the shittest music from each decade is better. Listen to better music.
    Not really. I don't have anything against him but anyone trying to do the Rose parts is going to have an impossible task. He's a good vocalist but it's not the same. I still love Slash, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QE Harold Flair View Post
    Guns N Roses were an album/stadium band, which is where real quality is distinguished.
    Well yeah, that's my point.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    What do your Koreans think of it? I bet they love it.
    It's perhaps the nation's first mass encounter with self-awareness. They're more proud of it than love it I think.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever the subject, Harold seems to have a really hard time if someones opinion doesn't match his.

The bands I listen to are from various decades and my favourite ones are a bit older as I've listened to them for a longer time and they've grown on me even more. That said, I think the 'music scene' (urgh) is as good as its ever been at the moment as it is so easy to find new stuff from the dozens of available outlets for music. Even though it was very cool hanging in an indie/underground record store as a young teen and getting your hands on the new EP's ad then talking about them with your mates was all fun and exciting, it really doesn't compare to the volume and quality of the stuff you can now find online. I still buy albums but it is nice to be able to listen to them a few times before you buy them.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Whatever the subject, Harold seems to have a really hard time if someones opinion doesn't match his.
    I've certainly never noticed this before.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yeah, it's a given in most subjects, but I can't understand how people can get this invested if other people don't like the same kind of music.

edit: I mean invested as in wanting to argue as opposed getting excited and carried away.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't the one being a pompous arse and making assumptions.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've started and sustained a three page thread based on the statement 'I know every generation thinks theirs was better than the current one but mine really was and is'. But no. Baseless pomposity isn't your thing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    You've started and sustained a three page thread based on the statement 'I know every generation thinks theirs was better than the current one but mine really was and is'. But no. Baseless pomposity isn't your thing.
    There's nothing pompous about that, it's my opinion. If I'd made the claim that it's true because I listen to more music and know more then you'd have a case. So all in all, I fear it's back to your cage for now.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've described contemporary music as 'generally so shit', consisting of 'vast swathes of crap', and typified by a lack of 'originality and star quality' (and said pre-sixties music was 'vastly dross' for good measure). If that is your opinion, based as it appears to be on not really having listened to much music at all, or knowing anything about how it develops, then this entire thread is a monument to pomposity.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, 'generally'. As in not always. That's far from pompous. 'Vast swathes of crap', yep. I'm sure most people would have to agree with that. 'Lack of originality and star quality'. Yep. This is all stuff which ought not to be very controversial. Contrast and compare the biggest stars of today - Bieber, One D, Kanye West, whoever else you care to mention, with the top names of the 60's-90's. Different planets.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For One Direction, see the Bay City Rollers, New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys. Same planet, different haircuts.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bay City Rollers were never a worldwide phenomenon of the same scale as 'One D'. You might have a point regarding manufactured boybands generally, but I don't see you disputing my other examples. I really can't see anyone of this era being rememberd as a Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Stones, Bealtes, Prince, Stevie Wonder. The talent just isn't what it once was.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was just prior to Globalisation ramping up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not my cup of tea, and he's obviously an arsehole, but Kanye West is clearly pretty talented at what he does. Can't sing of course, but that's not really what his act is about.

For the others, rubbish music having chart success isn't evidence that good music is no longer out there, as has been said many times already.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Bieber, see Donny Osmond, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Britney Spears. Kanye doesn't have a direct equivalent because hip-hop wasn't mainstream until arguably this century, late 90s at a push. Music doesn't change that much, just the way people choose to remember it. Anyone telling you it's all shit now is just repeating what people were similarly being told whenever you consider the golden age to be.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I said the biggest stars, Not mildly successful ones. I'll put it another way - who, of today or this era, will be remembered in any way like the names I mentioned? It's one thing to be a star, it's another to be worthy of that tag.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of talent, Bonnie Tyler never wrote Total Eclipse of the Heart, and most of Cyndi Lauper's songs were written by other people as well. So they were good examples to open the thread with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you edited to say that, yeah. I'm sorry I didn't predict that while responding to the original post.

Do you want to discuss talent or success? You should probably make your mind up before we continue.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is being a star something worth pursuing in and of itself?

Wouldn't have you down as a cult of celebrity type, Harold.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to be that fiddly, Britney Spears was easily the biggest popstar on the planet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    If you want to be that fiddly, Britney Spears was easily the biggest popstar on the planet.
    I'm not being fiddly - it's my whole point. I think you're missing what I'm saying - Spears may have been the biggest pop star on the planet but nobody really took her seriously as an artist. And yes she just about fits into the 90's but not by much - the likes of those I mentioned were stars and well worthy of being labeled as such on the merits of their talent. The 'stars' now may sell a lot, but they clearly do not have the same level of talent as far as I'm concerned. And if you think I'm wrong then give me any name from the last 10 years who will be remembered in the same breath.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Top names' not being taken seriously as artists also isn't exclusive to this century, nothing really is. You won't find a discussion about Elvis without someone calling him little more than a pretty singer getting rich off other people's work.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Top names' not being taken seriously as artists also isn't exclusive to this century, nothing really is. You won't find a discussion about Elvis without someone calling him little more than a pretty singer getting rich off other people's work.
    And you won't find any serious person who can name someone who will be remembered in the same breath from this era.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    Is being a star something worth pursuing in and of itself?

Wouldn't have you down as a cult of celebrity type, Harold.
    No, and that's the point. The stars I mentioned were stars because of their talent, first and foremost. I'm not sure in how many ways I must point this out.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not while you're living through the era, no. People weren't listening to the Sun Recordings and immediately putting bets on how many impersonators he'd have in 50 years time.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seemingly half the rock music ever produced was called shit at the time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not while you're living through the era, no. People weren't listening to the Sun Recordings and immediately putting bets on how many impersonators he'd have in 50 years time.
    I'm sure it was pretty obvious Presley was always going to be remembered. I know for sure that Jackson is going to and would be. I think you're just avoiding the question, really.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll have forgotten Beyonce by Christmas.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beyonce?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go to war with anyone slagging off Beyonce.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong, she does have a pretty good voice. But the was in the conext of this conversation. She's hardly Aretha Franklin or Whitney Houston.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree she's no Aretha Franklin but have a right back for chucking Whitney Houston's name into it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it was pretty obvious Presley was always going to be remembered. I know for sure that Jackson is going to and would be. I think you're just avoiding the question, really.
    While you're predicting things that have already happened, if it was pretty obvious he was always going to be remembered he shouldn't have gone through the bother of that comeback special, even though he was considered washed up before he hit 30 having spent nearly a decade making films and being considered a parody of himself.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Harold (heh, wah?) that it would have been obvious that Elvis would be remembered, but equally I think it's obvious that Beyonce, Eminem and Kanye West will be remembered.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree she's no Aretha Franklin but have a right back for chucking Whitney Houston's name into it.
    I wouldn't put her at Franklin's level but she's several times better than Beyonce. I can't imagine the future Simon Cowell instructing anyone never to try and out-Beyonce, Beyonce. Different levels, you see.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you're predicting things that have already happened, if it was pretty obvious he was always going to be remembered he shouldn't have gone through the bother of that comeback special, even though he was considered washed up before he hit 30 having spent nearly a decade making films and being considered a parody of himself.
    About Jackson? No, you obviously can't read. I said I knew at the time he was going to be a legend. It was obvious. The rest of what you say is irrelevant to what I'm saying.

To 'Reg' - Beyonce, Eminem, Kanye West will not be remembered in the same league as the names I mentioned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't put her at Franklin's level but she's several times better than Beyonce. I can't imagine the future Simon Cowell instructing anyone never to try and out-Beyonce, Beyonce. Different levels, you see.
    She's not markedly better than Beyonce. It's debatable she's even better than Beyonce.

I can imagine the current Simon Cowell saying exactly that, nevermind a future equivalent.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lack of Talking Heads in this thread. They were pretty big in their own way, weren't they?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'I'm sure it was pretty obvious Presley was always going to be remembered.'

I didn't mention Michael Jackson. You obviously can't read.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's not markedly better than Beyonce. It's debatable she's even better than Beyonce.

I can imagine the current Simon Cowell saying exactly that, nevermind a future equivalent.

I think you'll find yourself in a massive minority in that view. Cowell was always telling people not to cover Houston because you never sound good in comparison.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'I'm sure it was pretty obvious Presley was always going to be remembered.'

I didn't mention Michael Jackson. You obviously can't read.
    'While you're predicting things that have already happened' means what, then?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it was pretty obvious Presley was going to be found dead in the toilet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find yourself in a massive minority in that view. Cowell was always telling people not to cover Houston because you never sound good in comparison.
    I'm not a regular watcher of the X-Factor but I've seen enough snippets to know I Will Always Love You is an incredibly popular song selection and often comes in for great praise. I'm sure he encouraged Alexandra Burke specifically to sing it as well.

Whatever the case, that song and maybe I Wanna Dance With Somebody aside, Whitney Houston's back catalogue is good but not particularly memorable. I suspect most people would rank Beyonce above her even now, nevermind in ten years once the nostalgia kicks in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it was pretty obvious Presley was going to be found dead in the toilet.
    Oh dear. Either you're being an arse or you realised your mistake.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a regular watcher of the X-Factor but I've seen enough snippets to know I Will Always Love You is an incredibly popular song selection and often comes in for great praise. I'm sure he encouraged Alexandra Burke specifically to sing it as well.
    But you don't watch it, honest.

Whatever the case, that song and maybe I Wanna Dance With Somebody aside, Whitney Houston's back catalogue is good but not particularly memorable. I suspect most people would rank Beyonce above her even now, nevermind in ten years once the nostalgia kicks in.
    http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-li...ale-voice-ever
    http://www.soultracks.com/greatest-female-singers

There's also a lot of other songs but I guess she's before your time, really. The post 90's stuff was largely when her voice was fucked, similar to Carey in the 00's.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh great, an internet list. People base that almost entirely on the Bodyguard soundtrack. Yeah, she's talented. Yeah, she had a good career. But held up alongside other names mentioned in this thread, her career isn't particularly remarkable and the only part of it that will really be remembered is that one song.

EDIT: Saying it's "before my time" sort of proves the point. You don't get that with the true classics.