User Tag List

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2018

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I half do, but I usually look around forums a bit at the start (read: after getting the sack on my first save) to see a bit what works and what doesn't, and making what usually is some sort of tweaked copy of a successful tactic.

I did that this year as well, but then I ended up going with the one tactic I had completely made myself and it really seems to work.

Of course, my latest game was a 6-0 loss to City, but up until then it had worked

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the blue things supposed to be eyes?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, what's the difference between the number rating and the star rating?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    I half do, but I usually look around forums a bit at the start (read: after getting the sack on my first save) to see a bit what works and what doesn't, and making what usually is some sort of tweaked copy of a successful tactic.

I did that this year as well, but then I ended up going with the one tactic I had completely made myself and it really seems to work.

Of course, my latest game was a 6-0 loss to City, but up until then it had worked
    Every year I seem to make tactics that work well a lot of the time but when they don’t work, it goes VERY wrong.

Like on my Liverpool save we looked amazing then got thumped like 5-0.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Are the blue things supposed to be eyes?

Binoculars?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, of course.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of scouts being defined by binoculars, as if they're all peeping toms perving on reserve team players.

Similarly the magnifying glass that is definitely required to look down a list of names.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Promoted before the end of March

A veritable goals bonanza

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it asks you for a match plan on Instant Result, what does Next Match and Last Match mean? On 2017 it had things like 'Play for a Draw', 'Control the Game', etc.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Right, started my big journeyman save. Started jobless.
    Toggle Spoiler
    Hardly going through this quickly but I just finished my first season. Won the league with a game to go.

Not sure why my badge has changed.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now I know I shouldn't have bought this. Tried a few saves initially and I had actually forgot I even had it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does 'Instant Result' speed it up a lot? I'm debating whether to get it next month.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Does 'Instant Result' speed it up a lot? I'm debating whether to get it next month.
    Only way I've been able to play the last 3 or 4 versions. The match engine and commentary have no bearing on what's actually happening anyway, it's just a load of cobbled together preset stuff.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instant Result on the last one was so broken. I'd win every game 9-0 and then you'd do a normal game and get tonked 3-1.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Only way I've been able to play the last 3 or 4 versions. The match engine and commentary have no bearing on what's actually happening anyway, it's just a load of cobbled together preset stuff.
    Yeah the part of the game I find enjoyable is the actual management side with the transfers, tactics and lineups, youth development etc. I have literally no interest in what the match engine, which hasn't been improved for at least a decade, blurts out and it's a total slog to go through all the games.

If they took away all 2D and 3D options but just gave me a proper stats printout at the end (say, noting where the goals came from and what sort of move it was along with the overall game stats which they have already) I'd be a happy man.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you do instant result?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a skin that enables the button. Baz posted one earlier in the thread.

It was kind of broken compared to 2017 when I used it though. You used to be able to pick a game plan but can't any more.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wannachup skin https://www.fmscout.com/a-wannachup-fm18-skin.html

You need a skin that enables the button. Baz posted one earlier in the thread.

It was kind of broken compared to 2017 when I used it though. You used to be able to pick a game plan but can't any more.
    You can still use the Game Plan - but you have to set it up during the pre-match meeting the day before.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Wannachup skin https://www.fmscout.com/a-wannachup-fm18-skin.html

You can still use the Game Plan - but you have to set it up during the pre-match meeting the day before.
    Is that what the 'next match' 'last match' thing means? I thought it was a bug and just picked last match all the time.

That said I never did the meeting and handed it to the assistant as it's massively over complicated.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that what the 'next match' 'last match' thing means? I thought it was a bug and just picked last match all the time.

That said I never did the meeting and handed it to the assistant as it's massively over complicated.
    Yup, exactly. I do the same, let my Ass Man take care of everything.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if those stats go back to SI. If swathes of your customers are ignoring parts of the game, what's the point in working on them.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because plenty of people do use them and removing different ways of playing your game is a terrible idea.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's believing that Press Conferences add something to the game and then there's their actual worth.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removing them or forcing people to use them would be worse. Giving the choice is one of the few things they're getting right these days.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing with the assistant doing everything for many versions now. Even training is largely his unless he fucks it up. Things like press conferences, team talks and such I have long since abandoned.

I think what I really want to play is Director of Football 2018. None of this downstairs tracksuit bullshit. They should probably have added a nuts and bolts DoF mode by now.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    There's believing that Press Conferences add something to the game and then there's their actual worth.
    The last version I played you can delegate them, I don't see the issue.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let Steve Bould do my training. After a while I looked at it, and noticed we'd been doing 75% Defensive training, 2% Attacking and 0% Ball Control - in the last Year.

Seems about right, to be fair

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of what they fuck up each version at least has a way of handing it to a staff member, which gives them a pass for most stuff. The big outlier in 2018 is scouting though. You can't seem to really delegate it (and wouldn't want to, squad building is the main part of the game probably), but they have made it an absolute mess now that needs far too much time to make any sense of.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I wonder if those stats go back to SI. If swathes of your customers are ignoring parts of the game, what's the point in working on them.
    Because most of what I don’t bother with is because it doesn’t fucking work. Press conferences being a prime example. Asking the reigning Premier League champions how they feel about drawing Burnley, with a number of replies all based around you expecting to get thumped is ridiculous. They have tied the questions to your reputation and it just doesn’t fucking work if you do well with a smaller club.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reputation metric is bollocks, which is part of the problem.

Also the fixed player CA/PA thing that has been in the game for 20 years is bollocks. It's too easy to sort good from bad players, which is why they tried to introduce the ludicrous attribute masking thing ages ago to make it artificially delayed (I've been switching that off for 15 years). They need to revamp the entire player grading system and make it more fluid and changeable.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took Bournemouth to the title in the first season (3 strikers is the most broken its ever been).

I had a 9 point lead over second and the press still asked me if I believed I could avoid relegation. Good shit.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reputation metric is bollocks, which is part of the problem.

Also the fixed player CA/PA thing that has been in the game for 20 years is bollocks. It's too easy to sort good from bad players, which is why they tried to introduce the ludicrous attribute masking thing ages ago to make it artificially delayed (I've been switching that off for 15 years). They need to revamp the entire player grading system and make it more fluid and changeable.
    It is, wonderkids now have a particular range they can hit, and they still may never hit that dependent on attitude.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's been the same for yonks (hence 'potential' ability) but there are no such things as late developers, massive drop-offs for no particular reason, or people with shit 'stats' who do a great job on the pitch for years, as happens in real football. Spotting one of those would be one of the most satisfying bits of the game, if it were available.

I basically want them to move away from the fixation on 'Finishing 13' towards asking you to evaluate them on actual performances, but I dunno, maybe that's not arcadey enough for the majority of players.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I basically want them to move away from the fixation on 'Finishing 13' towards asking you to evaluate them on actual performances, but I dunno, maybe that's not arcadey enough for the majority of players.
    That'd require you to actually watch the matches though

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    What's the point though? The matches basically seem to be:

>goal required for Team B
    >run preset goal sequence 74 for Team B

None of it is applicable at all to your setup or tactics. You'd still have stats anyway without having to watch that shite, which would be enough for what Jimmy means.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 4-3-3 which walked all over League 2 and 1 but as soon as I hit the Championship it stopped working. Either there was an update to the game that broke it or I've just kept the majority of the players I started with in the bottom division and it's hitting me hard. Luckily I've been taken over by a guy who was on the board already and I've gone from having no money to having no money, plus I forgot to disable Brexit so it all points to an outstanding few seasons ahead.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Not if they give me a decent array of stats or text commentary lines for the key moments - i.e. things that have actually happened rather than a number between 1 and 20. You can then combine that with scout/coach reports (I like the star system) to judge a player's current and future output.

I don't want to play Football Scout 2018 going to a windswept Boundary Park in disguise to see if I like someone's gait on the dreadfully animated 3D.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xG

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mused about a game where player stats were far more susceptible to outside forces on the old old board. Ideally they'd be completely hidden and would have to be inferred from other things, but even a mechanism where they could rocket up or down if the player moved clubs or whatever would be excellent.

As I remember it was inspired by Diego Forlan suddenly becoming Superman when he signed for Villareal.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are countless examples. Think Drogba, who at 24 was scoring 5 goals in Ligue 2. By 30 he was world class. An FM game would never have something like that happen at those ages, sure there are small variations but in general, either someone is the bollocks from teenage years or they're not.

Luca Toni, Jamie Vardy, etc etc.

Similarly the Torres Collapse wouldn't happen on FM except for monstrous injury.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need a new engine but as stated multiple times what is point when you own the market and its bought by the cuntload anyway

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be a long season

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now on 39pts after 32 games. 50 tends to be the magic number to stay put in the Championship and if anything the 14th-20th slot in the division was our spiritual home at the end of the last decade so what I lack in swashbuckling wins I'm making up in nostalgia.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This 15-year old youth candidate is already better than the other keepers in the squad. Never had this happen before

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dependent on his actual PA he could be beastly.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A side step to most, but a step up in my eyes. I started my 2017 Journeyman save at Winterthr, a save I ended up going to France to win the league with Metz, Argentina and England with Boca and Man United where I won everything on offer.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the one you want or the bad option?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems like no change, effectively, unless you had forrin homegrown players before.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the only option I've even seen this year.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not having the best start.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the bad one with a million different clauses of how foreigners can only get work permits by playing in 43% of all internationals against teams that start with a vowel if they're left-handed. Similar to the ruling that ballsed up my behemoth game on 17.