ST:
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Olimpia 2021/2022 review:

League:

Opening stage wasn't a challenge at all.

But the closing stage was even easier.

Domestic cup:

We're so far ahead of everyone else in the country.

Continental:

Thought we'd have more trouble but yeah. Almost shat myself in the first leg as we gave away penalties in the 88th and 94th minutes to make it a little shaky.

The 9-2 second leg semi final is probably the best result I've had in a knockout continental game. My Russian lad scored 5 and should have had more. I didn't think we'd win it this year, I thought it would take another year at least.

Team stats:

Our front 4 (3 are played and Ryzhakov wasn't registered for the league) were absolutely incredible. 55 goals and 28 assists in 53 games for Ruiz, 49 goals and 27 assists in 53 games for Alex, 20 goals and 14 assists in 21 games for Ryzhakov and 19 goals and 14 assists in 23 games for Henrique. Madness.

I was planning on staying another season at least but with the league being an absolute cake walk and as I've already captured continental glory it's time to move on. I'm going to miss the club and players (I will hopefully bring some with me) a lot though.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I've just had my shortest job search. I was eyeing up the Newcastle job but the dickheads hired a different Greek in Giorgios Donis, as such I was left with my second choice:

First team squad:

Ante Coric

Our key player according to our club screen:

Our hot prospect:

Stadium:

Budgets:

Board expectations:

I wanted to come to Europe following my time in North America and I like where I've landed a lot and I will be staying here until I win the Champions league.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The scene of John's favourite save iirc, quality club with youth prospects out the arse.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost a bit of a shame you donned Honduras so quickly. Would have been nice to see some of those players develop a bit.

Winning the CL with Dinamo sounds like a fairly tall order (don't think John managed it? But then again he wasn't buying players in).

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FM18 is easier too.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    FM18 is easier too.
    I don't know, FM17 was by far the easiest I've played. This one does seem easy too though.

Dinamo is like cheating. They are such a properly run club that you have to fuck up majorly not to succeed. And them regens.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just lost 5-4 in Marseille in the Europa playoff. What I wouldn't give to shit out a 1-0 now

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I've just lost 5-4 in Marseille in the Europa playoff. What I wouldn't give to shit out a 1-0 now
    I don't know what it is, but I typically have problems shitting out narrow wins in scenarios like that. I'll either like lose or win by 3 goals.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 fucking 1

All 7 goals in the tie from Cummins too. That tactic posted a while back by someone (a Man U one) is unreal at this level.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a loss up to 3 goals or a score draw. I always get nervy if I have a narrow win after the first leg.

Oh and it's great when a new signing scores a hattrick on his debut.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 fucking 1

All 7 goals in the tie from Cummins too. That tactic posted a while back by someone (a Man U one) is unreal at this level.
    Probably RL's, or the 4123 I posted on FMBase

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Probably RL's, or the 4123 I posted on FMBase
    Think it was the latter. It's basically cheating

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think that's the first full season I've done. It's not officially over yet as I've Galatasary in the 1st Europa knockout in two months and I still have to finish the Scottish Challenge Cup too.

Transfers

Season Review

Results

Squad Stats

The two main men

And a young regen who went straight into the side when he appeared at 16. Won't sign but is already getting watched for a senior international call-up. Savage player for this level.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfers in:

Transfers out:

Toplak:

Signed before I came.

I couldn't stay away from Olimpia and I only got the three I got as they had release clauses in their contracts. A little expensive for Andreev but my scouts have him at 4*/5* potential.

Alex was the one that I had to have (and he scored a hattrick on his debut), they guy is class and I may have agreed to put a clause in his deal when I knew I'd be moving.

He's very raw and I wasn't sure if I'd bring him along but my scouts are really high on him.

18 and already slightly better than my other options at CB. He is going to be special.

Euro Cup:

Easy enough, although I did think that Hamburg would trouble as more than they did.

Here is our group:

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davor Lovren was brilliant for me. Think I sold him to Arsenal for five or six times that.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did slap on a 50% next sale clause.

He does look good but I just don't play wingers (5-2-3) so I'd have to convert him to a striker or a wingback where he'd be wasted. So it was just a case of getting him, Boldas, Agra and Savarino out before they started moaning bringing the rest of the team down.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Still can't find this on the shelves here. It's a disgrace. All I want is a Steam key.
    Found it at a mom & pop independent store

Now to decide who to play before abandoning that game for another save I'll abandon. Did anyone elses copy come with a massive poster tellling you the difference between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-1-3-2?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished my third and final season at Grimsby and boy was it a good one:

The table looks way closer that it should have been as at some point we had a 12-point lead, but we got hit by injuries, lost a couple of games and things went downhill from there. For reference, we only got 10 points from the last 9 games. It was agonizing to watch, but we did it in the end. We actually won the league in the penultimate game, where Portsmouth were losing 2-1, scored twice in the last 10 minutes and then conceded 2 goals in injury time (4th and 6th minute even) to give us the title.

On top of that we won the Checkatrade trophy again, playing almost exclusively backup players. We also made it to the 4th round of FA, where we took Leeds to extra time at their place but unfortunately we couldn't hold on for penalties.

This must have been the most dominant I've had a team perform (across the last 2 seasons) in the lower leagues. I might even keep a copy of the save aside and come back to it and take them all the way, but at the moment I think I need a change.

Here's the squad stats:

And our top 3 performers:

It was a toss up between my compatriot and Aarons for the 3rd place but the latter was injured more often than not, and he was also very inconsistent while Karagounis was solid all the time.

Our top scorer and a very important player. He had a bad run of form at the end and it resulted in us dropping so many points.

Sogaard had a terrible start for us. He shot all the time from weird positions, he misplayed passes breaking down attacks and I actually dropped him from the team. An injury to our other options put him back in the first XI and he really outperformed everyone. The 11 PoM awards really paint the whole picture. Weirdly enough, we loaned him from Reading, who are also in League One and never gave him a chance. Well, their loss clearly.

So that's it for me at Grimsby. 2.5 very successful seasons with 2 consecutive league wins (and subsequent promotions) and 2 Checkatrade trophies to boot. I've now spent the last 5 seasons in the UK so I'm looking for a change (I had offers from Championship sides with the highlight being Wolves and their 40m transfer budget but I decided against it). A team in Scandinavia or something like Switzerland, Austria and the likes would be my first choice, but let's see what's available.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using this, an adaption I made of a way too attacking 2-3-2-3 formation. A lot more solid and some beautiful forward play:

Results, I started using it in the 3-0 against Juve in the cup, as you see before then it was drop a bollock football defensively:

I lost against Roma due to a Naingolan 35 yard screamer in the 85th minute. We concede a lot of shots but barely any are clear goalscoring chances, most are potshots from outside the box.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way you view players through the whole scouting thing is so much more confusing and adds little to nothing. What are all these constant scout reports that I have to personally acknowledge one by one.?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The way you view players through the whole scouting thing is so much more confusing and adds little to nothing. What are all these constant scout reports that I have to personally acknowledge one by one.?
    That's the biggest failing of this version for me, scouting is absolute dogshit. It was the one part of the game I wanted to do (no interest in tactics, training, etc) but I've had to hand that off to staff too and it really feels like I'm not really playing at all now. They fucked it up good.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with level 8 Rugby Town I've been trying to get my two useless part time scouts to go through all the interested unattached players but they're so slow i realised it was easier to just sign every single cunt as a trialist and get my coaches to look at them. is this grey area semi-cheating?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost as bad as Indoctrin you scummy bastard.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in fairness i did cheat more unambiguously and FMRTEed the chairman's stats because him selling my players off like a cunt would wind me up too much. Plus I see this as a relaxed sandbox kinda save. That's my excuse anyway. Cunt still won't increase my transfer budget though.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick Euro update:

Here is how the results in the group went:

Table:

43 goals scored (a record) already with Santacruz (there is a screenshot of him on this page) scoring 13 in 11 as well as grabbing 9 assists. He's currently 4 behind Falcao's record of 17 in 2010 and he's tied for assists which Gylfi set in the first season.

Our reward:

The team that I ended up at in my great Journeyman on FM 15 IIRC before it died on it's arse from a huge crash dump that SI couldn't fix.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfers in:

Freebie which my scouts are pretty high on.

£325k and he was signed as I really wanted more EU youngsters.

£21k and he also has Italian nationality and I really wanted to bring someone in to provide depth for my wing backs as I have a starter (and they keep getting fucking suspended) for each side and nothing more.

£250k, he looks like he could be a beastly finisher in the future.

The fucking big one. I SMASHED the transfer record to get him, the previous record was just £3.1m. I agreed to pay £7m up front and a further £13m in instalments for him. I was hoping to get him for less (I also had to give him a huge contract) as every single fucking major club was after him, no one made a bid but I acted fast. He better turn out to be some absolute demi-god.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shiiiiiiit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a game where I conceded 4 goals from 3 shots at target, while battering them the whole game. Ended up losing 2-4.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recruitment day throws up 2 fairly promising guys:

I actually need a goalkeeper as I'm selling my current two and only have one lined up for the Summer window who is a non-EU guy although he's only 17 so I'm not sure if either of them will be ready for next season.

The midfielder might struggle as I have a few prospects there. I was really hoping for a CB or wing back to come through.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think it was the latter. It's basically cheating
    Does it have wingers?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Does it have wingers?
    There's two lads in line with the full backs anyway.

EDIT: They're inside forwards if that matters. They're wide though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've created my own, pretty standard 4-2-3-1 and it's been quite dominant so far. Same with last year's version. Seems a bit too easy in that regard.

On another note, I genuinely hate that some instructions are "locked" when you pick a role. I have a ball winning midfielder and he often picks yellow cards and I want to tell him to ease off the tackles and I can't without changing the role. Is here something I am missing?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice.

I didn't fare as well though.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drawn against PSG, Chelsea and Celtic and mustered two points from the first four games. The last two were basically to fight it out with Celtic for the Europa League loser spot

Turns out the last round of fixtures really worked in my favour, complete steal

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've Celtic coming up the first knockout round of the Europa after scraping 3rd in my CL group. Won't be happening until next season though, think it'll be the first two games.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shiiiiiiit

Top of the group.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Top of the group.
    And 3rd by the finish. Which is basically akin to a world cup win with my squad.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's two lads in line with the full backs anyway.

EDIT: They're inside forwards if that matters. They're wide though.

Link a brother.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    Link a brother.
    Not sure on the link but it's somewhere in this thread fairly recently. Search for fmbase.

@Dark Soldier might have it saved.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you got any idea on how far back it could be, weeks or months?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    Have you got any idea on how far back it could be, weeks or months?
    No, I can't seem to find it either but I vaguely remember the post saying you remove the hard tackling instruction from the two full backs and make the striker an AF. That might job someones memory.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    This is the best 4123 I've used this version. Utterly lethal, about win the league and Europa with Everton first season with it:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share...er-united.html

Change striker to AF and take off tackle harder on the two full backs.
    @Bam

And he's right, it's unreal.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just PM Bamster.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bam

And he's right, it's unreal.
    Top man, cheers.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two cup games and some shit youth 2/3* potential thinks he's an established member of the first team

Edit:

Fair play to SI for putting in that response.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You fucking what?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post

You fucking what?
    Just let him go and sign Arthur. Arthur is life, Arthur is bae.