Thread: Football Manager 2018

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Football Manager 2018

Let's have a new thread.

Their offer is about to run out so here's a reminder:

Anyone who pre-purchases Football Manager 2018 (for Windows, macOS or Linux) through a SEGA approved digital retailer will be able to start pre-season at least two weeks prior to the official street date through a fully-playable Beta version. Single player careers started in the Beta can be also continued in the full game.

In addition, fans who pre-purchase Football Manager 2018 before Monday, October 9th and have Football Manager 2017 in their Steam Library will receive a 'Contract Extension Bonus' discount of 25% off their purchase via Steam or the SEGA Store.

http://www.footballmanager.com/games...l-manager-2018
    Here's that terrible promotion video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1gPUeY0EY

Screenshots from the video here: http://www.fmscout.com/a-football-ma...reenshots.html

---
    Update: new video on the 'Dynamics' feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmVvc35M4N8

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the dynamics has me finally done with it, or at least skipping launch until I see how it pans out.

Not that it's a bad idea or wouldn't be a good addition in theory, but it'll be their completely over the top implementation that will ruin it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I think the dynamics has me finally done with it, or at least skipping launch until I see how it pans out.

Not that it's a bad idea or wouldn't be a good addition in theory, but it'll be their completely over the top implementation that will ruin it.
    Yup - It's just one of those features, like this years Social Media, that I'll completely ignore.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Yup - It's just one of those features, like this years Social Media, that I'll completely ignore.
    Will it be something that can be ignored like social media though? Surely you can't just ignore the whole squad unhappy because gang A doesn't like gang B.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was happily ignoring the social media aspect until I clocked some knob claiming a player definitely had 200 potential, the sort of self referential shittery that I bet Miles wanked himself stupid over.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This game needs competition.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    This game needs competition.
    Right? I was saying that in the other thread the other day.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not possible though. That's why we'll see these token features added year on year, but none of the actual problems fixed.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    It's not possible though. That's why we'll see these token features added year on year, but none of the actual problems fixed.
    Why is it not possible? Just hire the scouts that FM uses (maybe by paying them even), or get different ones

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right? Just build a worldwide scouting network of thousands. How difficult or expensive could that be?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who cares about a worldwide scouting network if the gameplay's shite?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not though.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Right? Just build a worldwide scouting network of thousands. How difficult or expensive could that be?
    Exactly! I'm glad you understand.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    It’s not though.
    The deal breakers for me were always shitty, unrealistic squad building by AI and awful newgen stuff. It's like one of those models imitating the gait of a dinosaur that starts off fine, gets a little wobbly eventually, and then spazzes out and falls down

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    It’s not though.
    It's getting there.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the peak edition was probably 2012. Detailed enough that you could go ful on spreadsheet, but accessible enough for those that wanted to download a plug and play tactic and just have fun.

I don't think I've got the energy or time for it going forward. I certainly no longer have the time I had at uni where I could sink in 8 hours a day for 3/4 days a week.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that they're leading a list of new features with words like 'Dynamics' (regardless of what it is) and the increased importance of sports scientists and data analysts... yeah.

If someone made a game with a decent engine, no 3D engine, no graphics and no licences but decent, slick gameplay they would surely at least cause a dent. The basic gameplay is still good in FM but there's just far too much time-consuming bollocks.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even watching matches in commentary only, a season takes me in excess of 12 hours to do and the game's not good enough any more to warrant that amount of time.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If everyone else starts hating it will you all start loving it again?

Bunch of hipsters.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still get more than enough value out of it, so I can't categorically state "that's the last version I buy" but it's pretty clear that they've become lazy and just implement silly new features while glaring issues (match engine etc) still prevail.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    If everyone else starts hating it will you all start loving it again?

Bunch of hipsters.
    I'll love it when the developers start to love it again.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair to them on the match engine side, I'm not sure how much better it could actually be.

If you look at a game like FIFA, whose one main job is to deliver a match engine and it can't really manage that in any realistic fashion, then I'm not sure what chance FM has.

Where they've got lazy for me is around not changing the interface (which they used to do every few years) and not really bothering to update player stats enough from version to version, choosing instead to put in a load of random player interaction based shit.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The goalkeepers being unable to come out for crosses has been a thing for many many years. The inordinate amount of woodwork hits as well. It feels to me that it has gone backwards the last few versions honestly.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The FM scouts are voluntary so the money isn't an issue, it then comes down to motivation. The FM scouts have the 'contributing to a game they love' factor, but I don't think it'd be hard to persuade people just because there's so many diehard fans around who love football and their team (and more and more football nerds).

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its gonna be great and I'll sink another 800+ hours into it. Cheer up fuckos.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I can't wait!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to it, too. First time in my lifetime Brighton have started in the top tier.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Its gonna be great and I'll sink another 800+ hours into it. Cheer up fuckos.
    Lost that job already?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I think the peak edition was probably 2012. Detailed enough that you could go ful on spreadsheet, but accessible enough for those that wanted to download a plug and play tactic and just have fun.

I don't think I've got the energy or time for it going forward. I certainly no longer have the time I had at uni where I could sink in 8 hours a day for 3/4 days a week.
    The peak was 01/02.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    The peak was 01/02.
    Nah, go back and there's very little to it nowadays. There's more detail in the current mobile versions.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    To be fair to them on the match engine side, I'm not sure how much better it could actually be.

If you look at a game like FIFA, whose one main job is to deliver a match engine and it can't really manage that in any realistic fashion, then I'm not sure what chance FM has.

Where they've got lazy for me is around not changing the interface (which they used to do every few years) and not really bothering to update player stats enough from version to version, choosing instead to put in a load of random player interaction based shit.
    FIFA's got the problem that you're actually playing as the players and a 90 minute match has to be condensed into like 10, so there's inherently going to be problems with the way matches are played. FM doesn't have that issue so they have a much wider scope for realism

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lost that job already?
    Smashing the absolute cunt out the job mate. There's still enough hours in the day to fall down the sinkhole.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    FIFA's got the problem that you're actually playing as the players and a 90 minute match has to be condensed into like 10, so there's inherently going to be problems with the way matches are played. FM doesn't have that issue so they have a much wider scope for realism
    If the extent of FIFA's problems were limited to trying to condense a full 90 minutes into 10 I'd agree, but (taking the latest version as an example) they can't even get passing balanced properly.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Smashing the absolute cunt out the job mate. There's still enough hours in the day to fall down the sinkhole.
    Good to hear.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The peak was 01/02.
    *97/98.

I think that was actually the best game of all time.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven’t played FM in years (apart a quick mobile stint last year), but I think 07 was my favourite. Also I think the 03/04 was pretty good. I only got into 01/02 later on so it was never the pinnacle for me.

I’m always short on time these days so I think the mobile version will be where its at for me if I get back into FM again at some point.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New video on the 'Dynamics' feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmVvc35M4N8

Like Giggles says, it feels like it could become too big a part of the game. But it could be good seeing the impact after selling a moaning 'highly influential player', for example.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FM Classic has become far too bloated. I only play Touch now. It's more what I want out of FM. I think I got through three seasons of Classic in '17 before defaulting back to Touch.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can replicate Classic just by setting your assistant up, pretty much. At least that's how it felt in 2013 which is the last version I bought. Loading seemed a little longer in Classic.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still maintain that if they made a classic database and sold it as an add-on they would make a fortune. Something that lets you start in 1990, 1994, 2000, I don't know. Obviously we would all know who would turn out good and who wouldn't, but I think it would still be quite fun.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched the DYNAMICS video and noticed this...

This isn't just a sample to show the possibilities, it was grabbed from a save game used in the video...

EDIT: Hard to read...

+ You've spent a good period of time at the club
    + You have a good reputation when compared to the players

- You've only been at the club for a short period of time

- You have a number of players that don't get on well with you

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post

I read some interview with a lead FIFA guy recently and part of what they said was their main challenge is actually to make an engine that seems realistic, but isn't - because it would be boring as fuck to play, and most of the time you want the games to feel sort of like a full 90 minute game compressed into 10 or 15 minutes or so.

Basically - it's a fucking video game and it should be fun to play, above all.

FM could take a page out of that book, IMO.

Disclaimer: I don't really play FIFA so I've no idea if they actually achieve this in the game or not, but whenever I do play I find it fairly fun anyway.

Though as DS says, fuck it FM is always good for a save game or two, and not too pricey for it. Time-wise, it does sometimes feel a bit "wasteful" and I wish the seasons could go quicker, but at the same time it's a great game for just sort of casually playing while watching something on the TV or some football or something.

I'd love it if it could be cloud-based so you could play both from your PC and your phone (say on the way to work) on the same save, though.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    I read some interview with a lead FIFA guy recently and part of what they said was their main challenge is actually to make an engine that seems realistic, but isn't - because it would be boring as fuck to play, and most of the time you want the games to feel sort of like a full 90 minute game compressed into 10 or 15 minutes or so.

Basically - it's a fucking video game and it should be fun to play, above all.

FM could take a page out of that book, IMO.

Disclaimer: I don't really play FIFA so I've no idea if they actually achieve this in the game or not, but whenever I do play I find it fairly fun anyway.

Though as DS says, fuck it FM is always good for a save game or two, and not too pricey for it. Time-wise, it does sometimes feel a bit "wasteful" and I wish the seasons could go quicker, but at the same time it's a great game for just sort of casually playing while watching something on the TV or some football or something.

I'd love it if it could be cloud-based so you could play both from your PC and your phone (say on the way to work) on the same save, though.

You can do that with screen sharing. Friend of mine played FM on his home computer from his hotel in New York. He used an iPad though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can play FM Touch cross device.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is actually the difference with FM touch?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    What is actually the difference with FM touch?
    It's a stripped back version. Plays a bit like the old CM's in that you can fly through seasons but it never really feels like you're doing anything.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also found it easier than the normal version.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See that's a bit of the problem for me with FM in the last few years - They have added too much fluff that doesn't feel important, but has too much effect on the game - completely agree with @Giggles that this new Dynamics feature will end up being a pain in the arse having to babysit everyone after what will inevitably turn out to be this one select pattern.

Like Team talks, there only ever feels like there are 2 viable options in them (whatever they are again).

But at the same time, I never wanted to play these "dumbed down" versions as the immersion they give just quite isn't the same.

I wish they could just make a quicker more streamlined game where you still sort of got some of the "around & off the pitch" aspects of Club management.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean you don't enjoy being asked who you think deserves to win the Ballon D'Or when you're managing Goatherders FC?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they just removed Press Conferences, I'd pay whatever they want.