User Tag List

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2018

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't play CM 01-02 without WWW1/2. For FM, I usually go with the Assistant Manager's suggestions and just see what gets results. I've never been one for tactics. More the personnel.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I accept.

I don't know if I've ever done a team talk. I just assign them to whomever has the highest Motivating score.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fair play lads but doesn't it all feel a bit empty? surely the only satisfaction in winning the league over and over again with a downloaded tactic would be if you genuinely are fantasizing you're a football management god as some kinda escape from real life? it can't be for the challenge of building a team/playing the transfer market because any idiot can do that better than the AI.
    Last edited by igor_balis; 25-03-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: i need to stop using that word

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loanees have come back and I didn't realise just how big the senior squad was:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's that, like £170m? So it breaks Mbappe's record.

The biggest transfer fee on my save thus far is Asensio to Man City for £144m.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    What's that, like £170m? So it breaks Mbappe's record.

The biggest transfer fee on my save thus far is Asensio to Man City for £144m.
    Ye Mbappe was the previous top one at 180 million euros. Dybala moved to Real for 175 in 2019.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought the formation that I built (a 4-2-1-3) might be broken too after scoring 17 and conceding 1 in 4 league matches but it's not.

Just lost 4-2 to RBL in the Super Cup and despite dominating Lokomotiva they were awarded a last minute penalty to take a point and to halt our winning streak at 71.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the player Monaco bought for 200 million is a right winger and now they are putting 100 million offers for my right winger. #logic

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    fair play lads but doesn't it all feel a bit empty? surely the only satisfaction in winning the league over and over again with a downloaded tactic would be if you genuinely are fantasizing you're a football management god as some kinda escape from real life? it can't be for the challenge of building a team/playing the transfer market because any idiot can do that better than the AI.
    I don't play it for achieving anything, its mainly run in the background as I browse the net/listen to music/watch Netflix. It uses so little power on my laptop I can boot it up when I load, play ten games over ten hours and I'm happy.

I'll have the odd save where I start out as a shite team with players that don't suit a system and build it up and get right into it, but 75% of my game time is a rich club, just dicking about. I've played it so long I've, to go The Inbetweeners for a bit, completed it.

Got over 800 hours across most the games but the last five or six years most of that is idling. Started a United save tonight and managed eight games in seven hours. Kinda helps that its the only game I have that requires no sound whatsoever, easy to come home from work and just jump in and out.
    Last edited by Dark Soldier; 25-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second season in the Premier League is going better so far. I completely overhauled my squad in the Summer and spent about £25million. There's only 2 or 3 players remaining from last season. I was quite sad to see some of them go - I had 2 players from the Conference still playing regularly, and got quite attached. But they just weren't up to it at all. They've ended up at Championship clubs though.

I've signed this youngster from Orlando Pirates who's playing fairly well so far, without being incredible. He's just won European Golden Boy, which did surprise me - I didn't realise he was so highly rated. What do you lot think?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Brexit warning that their will 'likely be a limit on foreign players rather than the current work-permit system'

What am I looking at?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's excellent SvN, but there's long been a glitch with the Golden Boy award. If a player has torn up trees for some minnows in the first half of the year then you sign him for a bigger club the game seems to behave as though those stats were accrued for your team.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfers out:

Big transfer there is Makarun going to Man United:

I'm going to miss him but up to £61m and 50% of his next fee was too much to pass on.

Transfers in:

£38m which is hefty as fuck considering we have 3 strong CB's already and I'm only using 2 but I've been after him for a while.

I don't need another keeper but my scouts were really high on him and I thought I might as well for £5.5m.

£45.5m all upfront which is the highest I've paid for a player. After switching to my formation I felt I needed another quality midfielder and I spotted De Bruijn. His contract is hefty and has a lot of clauses in it (he wanted £220k and I could only go to £160k) but he's class. 6 foot 5 as well so he must look ridiculous when he's lining up next to my midget 5'2 midfielder.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    De Bruijn is erection material.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aggression 5 though.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second season in the Premier League is much better so far. I even have an outside chance of Champions League qualification, but in truth I'd be happy with 5th.

I've got an absolute bastard of a run in though. I just played United away, and I've still got Chelsea (H), Arsenal (A), Spurs (H) and Liverpool (A) to play in my last 6 games. So it's going to be a tough ask to get anywhere near 4th.

I got knocked out of the League Cup semis by Chelsea after choking the second leg (we drew 1-1 at Stamford Bridge) and I have an FA Cup semi final against Man City coming up. I have a fairly decent lineup, but I severely lack depth in defence. Priority this Summer is a new goalkeeper and at least 2 new centre backs, ideally youngsters.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Second season in the Premier League is much better so far. I even have an outside chance of Champions League qualification, but in truth I'd be happy with 5th.

I've got an absolute bastard of a run in though. I just played United away, and I've still got Chelsea (H), Arsenal (A), Spurs (H) and Liverpool (A) to play in my last 6 games. So it's going to be a tough ask to get anywhere near 4th.

I got knocked out of the League Cup semis by Chelsea after choking the second leg (we drew 1-1 at Stamford Bridge) and I have an FA Cup semi final against Man City coming up. I have a fairly decent lineup, but I severely lack depth in defence. Priority this Summer is a new goalkeeper and at least 2 new centre backs, ideally youngsters.
    How's the Cups looking in general? Getting a European spot in your second season would be pretty sweet. For the most part it will be a distraction (not much money to be made from it) but it means you get to build your coefficient (and the club reputation) for when you enter Europe proper. What place are you predicted to finish at?

That striker looks very good and he's only 19. I am assuming he didn't cost you much money either, no?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    How's the Cups looking in general? Getting a European spot in your second season would be pretty sweet. For the most part it will be a distraction (not much money to be made from it) but it means you get to build your coefficient (and the club reputation) for when you enter Europe proper. What place are you predicted to finish at?

That striker looks very good and he's only 19. I am assuming he didn't cost you much money either, no?
    I was predicted to finish 20th again, and 1/4 with the Bookies to go down. I'm through to the final of the FA Cup against United, and finished 5th in the League. Liverpool beat me 3-2 away with a 96th minute winner to dash the Champions League dream, but I'll take the Europa League.

My young striker was 500k. He really has been a revelation, and won a fair few games for me single handedly. I'm hoping I can hang onto him for a while - hopefully noone comes sniffing this summer.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gutted.

In fairness I got absolutely battered in Extra Time. It could've been 6 or 7 by the end of it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that it's a bit easier to keep players in the last couple versions. They will moan a bit and be unhappy for a while, but they typically get over it. Just make sure he has a long contract. Also I've found that at least the "there's no point discussing it with no bid" and even "you have such a good atmosphere in the squad" works wonders.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halfway through my third season in the PL now, and having a blazing season. Battered my group in the Europa League and top of the Premier League. Went out of the League Cup in the third round away to Chelsea, but not the end of the world. I had a bit of a nightmare in the summer and signed loads of foreign plebs that my scouts were convinced were Messi's regen. Once they signed, my coaches were much less impressed, and I ended up with 6 or 7 new signings that I couldn't register for the league due to the fact that I had so many.

Obviously, they were understandably livid at not being registered. I managed to loan a few out, but the others are just stuck in my U23s for now. I'm going to try and shift a few in January.

I've got one player who "Wants to join a bigger club" and Bayern are interested, but he's my best defender so he's staying put, unless he really kicks off.

West Ham have just won the Championship so they're having a ridiculous first season up. They've got Fred Friday, who my scouts think is shit, raping the league and has scored 20 in 19.

Financially, it's a bit tougher. I've got a few players on 100k+ per week now, and with my tiny stadium (maxed out at 20k), I'm struggling to break even every month. I was projected to fail FFP for a few months, but now I'm looking good. Hopefully, getting a few off my wage bill in January will help in that regard.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topped my group in the Champions League group stages the last two seasons and I've been paired against Monaco and PSG in the first knockout round. Between them they have won the whole thing 3 times in the last 3 seasons.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is sortitoutsi down?
    Last edited by Baz; 01-04-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: it's not .com, cheers FW.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post

It's sortitoutsi.net, and yes. Good old cloudflares.

Last edited by Giggles; 01-04-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished my second full season at Bayern and it was essentially a repeat of the previous one.

A very easy league title with both Dortmund and Wolfsburg underperforming compared to previous seasons. We even switched off a bit towards the end of the season with the title all but won but they still couldn't catch up. The league win was once again coupled with a cup win:

Very favourable draws all the way to the final meant that even my second string squad had more than enough to go through. The final was the only difficult game in the whole run, but we outplayed Dortmund in every single aspect of the game and if it wasn't for 2 long shots (and our main keeper getting injured the day before the final), the scoreline would be embarassing for them.

Sadly, things didn't turn out that well in Europe:

As I complained in my previous post, easily topping the group and being rewarded with the title holders (for two consecutive seasons even) felt really shitty. We did manage to go through, even though it was probably a bit closer than the final aggregate scoreline suggests (they were clearly better at their place and we were clearly better at ours). Much like Manchester United the season before, the tie against West Ham was a very annoying one. We were better than them in both games, but, as is typical behaviour now, we squandered our chances and they didn't. It's a bit annoying how many 1-on-1s are missed and how many goals from silly angles are scored instead. Feels a bit unrealistic.

Enough rambling. Here's the squad stats:

Gauthier was once again magnificent on the number 10 role, scoring very important goals and creating just as many. Kitic also won us some games on his own, despite being a vastly inferior winger to Zwartjens. To think Dortmund agreed to sell him to us for just 15 million. Crazy.

Anyway, that's it for now. I think I'm done with Germany after spending 5 seasons here, so the next chance that comes my way, I'll be jumping ship. I am a tad disillusioned with the game to be honest, but it's the only game that I can sort of enjoy in the limited amount of time I have free so I might as well keep going.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ended 0-0. And that's 7 actual proper chances, not those weird ones that FM thinks are good for whatever reason. This happens so often and, even though I'll usually win the games, it's incredibly annoying. That result alone might have pushed me over the edge with just not bothering with the game any more really.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that West Ham ended up becoming a top team in your game too. I wonder how common that is.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did end up finishing another season. As much as I complain about the stuff that annoys me in the game, the truth is that there's no better alternative, and there's not really any other game that can be played in such a manner (for me that is, doing other things simultaneously), so I guess I'm stuck with it.

I ended up leaving Bayern and moving to West Ham, which had a tycoon takeover in 2019 and since then they've become a top team, although not a TOP TOP team I would say. They have won a few trophies since then (1 league title, 2 FA cups, 2 League Cups and most notably a Europa League title), but other than that they're still not really a very big team (although they do have a considerable reputation that stems from the tycoon money). Still, it would be considered a downgrade compared to Bayern, but it's a bigger league and I'd been in Germany for 5 years so I was looking for a change.

I will start with the star players in the squad:

Toggle Spoiler

With the last 3 being some of the best players in the world.
    The squad in general was very complete, so I mostly got rid of people I would never use, and signed/promoted a few youngsters to provide some cover. The only problem is that most of the squad is on their late 20s/early 30s, so if I am to stay here for long, I'll have to gradually replace them (although the squad is good to go as is for the next couple of years).

The league proved to be quite easy in the end:

We ended up with the best attacking record in the league (111 goals) and 3rd best defensive (43 goals), but I'm a little disappointed at our defence, as there were games where they just went AWOL and we dearly paid for it (notably a 5-0 humiliation at Old Trafford with Mbappe creating all 5 goals, a 3-0 loss at Leicester and a 4-2 defeat against lowly Southampton). Still, there's only so much I can complain as we were clearly the best team in the league, with some impressive wins (5-2 against United, 4-1 against City, 6-2 against Chelsea at home, as well as a 7-3 win over Chelsea at their place - Chelsea clearly didn't have a good time against us), and a very impressive home record (18-1-0). I also got to rotate a lot and the 2nd string players didn't disappoint either.

We coupled that with an easy FA cup win:

There's really not much to say here. We had the luckiest draws possible and the only relatively difficult match was at the final, where Leicester got us to extra time, but Auffret decided that enough is enough and scored a hat-trick to make sure we completed the double.

Things didn't go as well in the League cup:

I would like to blame the game or the match engine or whatever, but the truth is that Liverpool were just flat out better over the two legs and deservedly went through to the final (where they beat City).

And now to the bigger things:

All in all, a very successful campaign. Monaco deservedly came out on top in the semis, but I would argue it was us letting ourselves down (on all 4 goals we condeded), rather than them being to strong for us. We also had some very crucial injuries, which didn't help.

The squad stats:

Auffret was quite clearly our top performer with a massive 14 PoM awards in 49 appearances. I can't recall the last time I had a player be that influential in one of my teams (especially considering he isn't the striker). Still, honorable mentions go to Krejcik and Veerman who carried the team when Auffret couldn't.

A very successful season altogether, with 2 titles and a strong European campaign. A lot better than City at least, who won nothing and somehow managed to finish dead last in a group of Real, Schalke and Feyenoord. United sacked Zidane at the end of the season and I'm somewhat inclined to apply, but it's a tough decision really. City are also close to sacking Pep. That one is more enticing so we'll have to see.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 06-04-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're the 4th most reputable club in the world.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of their fan base think that now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Most of their fan base think that now.
    Don't be silly, they're only below Real. The rest just attract better players because they offer stupid money.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in my sixth season with Peterborough. We got promoted straight out of League One, and spent three seasons in the Championship before getting promoted to the Premier League. Last season, we escaped relegation by goal difference at 38 points.

I've continued to overhaul the roster.

And today, I conceded this goal.

Fuck off, SI.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind, that upload was useless.

My keeper picked up a loose ball. He proceeded to drop it in front of him at the penalty spot, and then jogged backwards while their striker ran in and hammered it home.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its allegedly coming to Nintendo Switch

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm .... do we need a sweepstakes for how many leagues we can load on that?

Actually, it's already on tablets. Easy port, in theory.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll surely be a completely different game than the one available on tablets. The short lived XBox version from about 2004 had more detail than what you get on a tablet now.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Its allegedly coming to Nintendo Switch
    Touch version out. Is it any good? Might have a go.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    It'll surely be a completely different game than the one available on tablets. The short lived XBox version from about 2004 had more detail than what you get on a tablet now.
    It's the shitty touch one according to the email about it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea we, who finished 13th in the Premier League last season, beat out Bayern, who win Bundesligas and are Champions League semi-final regular, for his signature.

What a fucking beast.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And thank you, Steam, for the shit quality screenshot but easy uploading.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looks fun but I'd be training him as a full back or fully as a DM in very short order.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone actually use sweepers?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fullback? His crossing is 10.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technical stats are much easier to boost than physical ones, and in the meantime a full back with questionable crossing will cause far fewer problems than a centre back who can't jump.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game's gone mad. After a middling last season, my team of Popeyes clearly spent the summer filling up on spinach

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Does anyone actually use sweepers?
    I've always wanted to try a libero. I have a 4-3-3 with a DM, and I'll make a sweeper variant moving the DM.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Technical stats are much easier to boost than physical ones, and in the meantime a full back with questionable crossing will cause far fewer problems than a centre back who can't jump.
    Sweeper or DM for this kid.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect. He'll be shit hot as a DM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post

How do you mix up those two threads, you fucking clown?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’d look more like a clown wearing those