User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden NFL 18 - Sponsored by the Tom Brady GOAT Tour

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It's way better than the Fifa version. The franchise announcements will be coming soon too, so hopefully they've made some more big changes to go with custom draft classes.
    What are "Franchise announcements"? As in which teams are in the game?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    What are "Franchise announcements"? As in which teams are in the game?
    Career mode in Madden is called 'Franchise Mode' so presumably he means feature announcements for that side of the game.

The whole thing is much more polished than career mode in FIFA, and the organisation of the sport as a whole lends itself very well to a computer game. It's great fun starting a game, trading away anyone of value in your team for draft picks, then simming the first season and going for it in the second with a team of children you can develop as you wish. It still has that great growth system FIFA binned in about 2009 where the player earns EXP points and you use them to upgrade the attributes of your choice, so if you get a feel for a particular style of offence you can tailor your players to fit it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah nice - that sounds swish.

The development on FIFA Career Mode is just a Numberwang simulator. Loads of weird and incoherent decisions about what you can/can't train. A shame as a well done version would be fantastic.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've gone into a bit more detail about some of the Franchise Mode features today at E3.

Madden 19 will be on PC, and they've also shown the player model for Shaq Griffen.

Toggle Spoiler

Trailer looked pretty dodgy, but then there's no actual gameplay so hopefully that's not indicative of anything.

Here's an article on it too.
    Last edited by Dan; 09-06-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Ah nice - that sounds swish.

The development on FIFA Career Mode is just a Numberwang simulator. Loads of weird and incoherent decisions about what you can/can't train. A shame as a well done version would be fantastic.
    Madden has a similar training system, where you focus on certain players and can play or sim the actual drills. What you get out of it is more EXP though, rather than boosts to predetermined stats.

My one real gripe with it is that the awareness stat is the most important for pretty much every position and has a huge impact on a player's overall, but costs fuck all to upgrade on a young player. I tend to just let the EXP accumulate over the season and spend it all in one go before the playoffs, and more than once I've had a player jump twelve points in overall purely through hammering awareness alongside small boosts to whichever stats suit my style at the time.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of PC would you need to play this?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the minimum specs.

Imagine the mods

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm above than most of them, but I don't know anything about graphics cards even though they're probably the most important factor. Is bigger number better?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea

I'd like to get a proper computer that could hold up to PC gaming, but I don't have room where I live now, and I'm too lazy to look for somewhere else, so laptop it is.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have pre-ordered the new one. £50... mental but I guess that’s normal now. Been ages since I bought a game at launch on PS4.

Looking forward to doing another UT though.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early access is out now, apparently. I'll probably pick the game up at some point before release date, especially as I'm off work next week.

If I had a computer that could run it I'd get the PC version, but I don't so Xbone it is.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early access is out now, apparently. I'll probably pick the game up at some point before release date, especially as I'm off work next week.

If I had a computer that could run it I'd get the PC version, but I don't so Xbone it is.
    What does early access mean? Demo, or do you need to be a subscriber to something?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can tell it's a 10hr trial for people with EA Access.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre-ordered this on Xbox. Still on 17 at the minute so I'll probably have a bit of catching up to do with some of the new game mechanics, but I'll mostly be playing sim franchise anyway.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told 18 and 19 are pretty much the same game in a different box. Though I often hear that about FIFA and it's always slightly different.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find that hard to believe given the changes they’ve made to positions etc. This seems like the biggest change in years, but I’m no expert. Like Dan I last played 17 but I’m looking forward to a new UT.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant gameplay, rather than the changes to MUT.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the positional changes should effect every mode, particularly franchise is seems. The gameplay hasn’t changed much ever since I’ve been playing.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some new animations for contested catches & it seems like receivers will hold the ball through contact a bit more, but otherwise I'm hoping the new running mechanics are actually noticeable.

I might give MUT a look given they seem to have done the same as Fifa & given offline players more to do, but otherwise it'll just be playing the shit out of franchise mode. Managed to get through about 20 years of a Saints slow sim franchise mode so I'll probably be looking to do something similar on 19.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd imagine it's the same in terms of which buttons you push and when,
    but a review I read said the game play feels hugely different because they've changed and upgraded loads of animations.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you lot playing on? Well will be?

If we have a few on PS4 (I doubt it) then we could do an online franchise.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xbox

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eat a dick.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS4 of course.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if anyone wants to do a sim franchise on Xbox I'd be interested. Copy got sent out this morning so it should be here tomorrow - I'll play about in the skills trainer, take a look to see if That Franchise Guy has uploaded his rosters, then spend a while tweaking them even more.

I'm thinking Dolphins, Broncos or Bengals first for franchise, otherwise I'm thinking about doing an all-rookie team.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m considering Arizona as mine because they are probably the shittest team I somewhat like, especially after Fitz retires. Not 100% decided though.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it from tomorrow I can buy this?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friday, I believe.

Pre-ordered mine to a store to save money so no chance I get it tomorrow, but should be able to grab it after work Friday.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Friday, I believe.

Pre-ordered mine to a store to save money so no chance I get it tomorrow, but should be able to grab it after work Friday.
    Grand. Probably best I don't get my hands on it til after work Friday anyway. The Mrs is away at a hen all weekend too

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to pre-order it. I'll get it sometime next week.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I forgot to pre-order it. I'll get it sometime next week.
    Can it not just be downloaded?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can but they usually charge extra.

I got it last year on download but that's because I ordered the hall of fame/deluxe/whatever last time round.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £60 to download Vs £50 in store for the standard edition. So stupid.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a copy from The Game Collection for £45. They probably sell the PS4 version for a similar price.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do indeed. Shame I never heard of them before.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a copy from The Game Collection for £45. They probably sell the PS4 version for a similar price.
    Yeah, I saw it yesterday.

I got 17 from them too.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have a quick look if I'm out and about Friday. What's missing from the Standard Edition then?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MaddenUltimateTeam/comments/8m2zal/comparing_the_madden_19_editions_standard_vs_hall/

Basically it's for a heads up in Ultimate Team.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best I can get here is €62.99 in Smyth's toys. Not worth going to that hell for €7.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my copy, just been playing around in the skills trainer & practice mode so far - skills trainer doesn't look to have changed much, and it's not great at introducing the push the pile/hit the hole mechanics, which was what I was looking for. A bit of time in practice ended up being the better approach.

TFG has only got QB/RB done on his roster so far, so I'm probably to do a practice run at franchise with the Chargers to get the sliders set up properly. The early complaint I've seen is that run blocking is awful, so I've pre-emptively boosted that a bit to try to help out. We'll see what else crops up.

--

I like that they've added FM-eqsue options in the league settings menu for stuff like contract negotiations, training & scouting to allow you to decide what you want to do yourself & what you want to fob off to the CPU. Hoping they've sorted out the salary cap since 17 as it went up way too slowly & crippled you after 10 seasons when it basically stopped increasing at all.

Lighting looks a bit off - I'd already seen that the draft stadiums look like like shit as they're way too bright, but it seems to be an issue in general. My created coach looks like he's wearing a latex jumper in an office next to the sun.

---

Playing the first sim game it looks as though 9min quarters with no play clock runoff should get the numbers reasonably close to real life. I'm pretty happy with the running but I'd dropped QB passing to 45 for player & CPU which seems to be a mistake as Josh Rosen went 0/6 in the second quarter & was missing screen passes by five yards Then again Geno Smith has been tearing up the Cardinals so maybe I just need to tweak Rosen from TFG's rating.

I had two injuries in the first half at default injury (it's either 10 or 15, i think), and there's just been another one to start the second half. I can't tell if that means I need to lower them even more, of if it's just because I'm the Chargers.

The main issue I've noticed is that QBs run around in the pocket all the time & tend to roll out & throw every five or six passes, which looks silly. It sounds like this is the Madden 19 version of the bug from last year where QBs would just statue in the pocket & take loads of sacks if they had a specific trait. Players also do too many unnecessary cuts in the open field when they could just be running upfield, so hopefully these get patched out fairly swiftly.

They also seem to have gone crazy with development traits - almost every rookie that had a slight bit of hype has been given quick development, which is excessive to me, so I'll have to remember to go in & alter that at the start of every franchise mode to try to make it a bit more balanced.
    Last edited by Dan; 09-08-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloaded but not allowed play til after midnight

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put in my pre-order code and it was confirmed but I haven’t got anything in UT for it. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they have a Twitter help page or anything similar like a live chat?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if they did, I don't have Twitter, so that wouldn't be any good to me. Not sure if there is a live chat. This is annoying me though. Any idea @Sir Andy Mahowry ?

Just bought a Canton pack for the hell of it. Got a Gold Urlacher and a Gold Carlos Watkins which seems decent enough for 8000 coins I guess.

Edit- OK, it wasn't, Urlacher goes for about 4000 and Watkins for around 1000. Maybe the other silvers I got might make up some of it though. Oh well.

Edit 2- Second Canton back yielded 3 golds, including Terrell Davis who goes for around 5000 currently. He's not as good as the Elite Ajayi I already have though, so not sure if I should just sell. The other golds were Claiborne (worth roughly 2300) and Brantley (about 1000). Decent especially as I got a fair few new starters.
    Last edited by Browning; 10-08-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was your UT bonus? It might be that they start from next week/few days.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A choice of one elite player (with one option for each franchise) and then 5 gold packs. Hopefully it’s something like that but I thought it was meant to be a start up thing. Not sure really.

What’s annoying me is about 80% if the players I have cannot be auctioned. I had 3 Urlachers before I used 1 in a set and couldn’t auction any of them, yet every other fucker is selling him.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The choice option should be instant IIRC from 18. Packs are a weekly thing.

Might just be the servers shitting themselves and it might take a bit to register. Could also try playing some solo challenges.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve done a fair few challenges but still nothing.

When I put the code in it just came up to say Madden 19 pre-order bonus but I’m not sure it downloaded or installed anything. I hate the PS store sometimes.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vick is getting added tomorrow, day 3.

That's got to be the earliest they've done so since he retired.

The amount of cards he gets (because they make so much money on him) is mental.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought my first Elite pack for 50,000 and got about 19,000 worth of players.... fuck sake.

Probably won't be doing that again.