Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aliens

Kindly assign a probability to each of the following being true (0-100%):

Intelligent extra-terrestrials have at some point visited earth - []

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists on earth - []

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - []

Any extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - []

Humans will discover concrete evidence of extra-terrestrial life this century - []

Humans will discover concrete evidence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life this century - []

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intelligent extra-terrestrials have at some point visited earth - [<1%]

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists on earth - [<1%]

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - [>50%]

Any extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - [>90%]

Humans will discover concrete evidence of extra-terrestrial life this century - [<5%]

Humans will discover concrete evidence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life this century - [<1%]

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intelligent extra-terrestrials have at some point visited earth - ~zero

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists on earth - zero

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - Probably less than you'd think. 10%

Any extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - 95%

Humans will discover concrete evidence of extra-terrestrial life this century - 1%

Humans will discover concrete evidence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life this century - ~zero

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intelligent extra-terrestrials have at some point visited earth - [0.00001%]

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists on earth - [0.0000001%]

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - [40%] I think the following would suggest a decent chance of this. Depends on the definition I suppose.

Any extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - [80%]

Humans will discover concrete evidence of extra-terrestrial life this century - [5%]

Humans will discover concrete evidence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life this century - [0.5%]

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intelligent extra-terrestrials have at some point visited earth - 0

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists on earth - 0

Intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - 100

Any extra-terrestrial life exists in the universe - 100

Humans will discover concrete evidence of extra-terrestrial life this century - 0

Humans will discover concrete evidence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life this century - 0

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Jim said.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad reckons he saw a UFO in the lakes after he took LSD at a stone circle so that's concrete evidence for me.

Just wish he hadn't told the local paper about his 'findings'.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the most pointless predictions thread of all time. At least give some questions for people to argue over.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aliens?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Jim has nailed it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading back, I'm not so sure about the last two questions. At the moment I don't think we're putting much effort at all into space and less still into finding extraterrestrial life. If for whatever reason we started to put a large amount of resources into that, and if technology continued to develop, I guess we might find some algae within a few decades.

The key in my layman brain has always been how many favourable coincidences does it take for 'life' to kick off even when given the most favourable circumstances. The favourable circumstances will almost never come up.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    This is the most pointless predictions thread of all time. At least give some questions for people to argue over.
    I couldn't be arsed coming up with an actual post so I thought this might incite some debate. Didn't realise Jimmy would solve it so quickly.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Reading back, I'm not so sure about the last two questions. At the moment I don't think we're putting much effort at all into space and less still into finding extraterrestrial life. If for whatever reason we started to put a large amount of resources into that, and if technology continued to develop, I guess we might find some algae within a few decades.

The key in my layman brain has always been how many favourable coincidences does it take for 'life' to kick off even when given the most favourable circumstances. The favourable circumstances will almost never come up.
    I guess the problem is that algae surely exists, it's just really far away and really small. The chance of there being some on mars is still non-zero iirc so that's probably the best shot.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post

That would rely on said planet being one of our nearest neighbours, which is incredibly unlikely. Said Algae-like life forms could exist billions of lightyears away and probably do, but there's no chance we're ever going to find them.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the size of the Universe being what it is and the nature of time being what it is (in that we'd need to get to the right place at the right time to fid life or the remains of it), future humans could be far more advanced than we are and still not find anything.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    With the size of the Universe being what it is and the nature of time being what it is (in that we'd need to get to the right place at the right time to fid life or the remains of it), future humans could be far more advanced than we are and still not find anything.
    This is it. Even if we saw the algae through some super-tech-scope, if it's 160 million lightyears away then we're seeing what was knocking about when the dinosaurs were stomping around. It would still tell us nothing of what's there now (if anything).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    I guess the problem is that algae surely exists, it's just really far away and really small. The chance of there being some on mars is still non-zero iirc so that's probably the best shot.
    I know but I'm thinking if we can AI some micro-robots out there at the speed of light, using technology that's as 50 years away as ChatGPT was 50 years ago.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've long held the opinion that space and the various things that accompany it might be the most boring chat a group can have. The sea is more interesting than space. Space chat can, in fact, get in the sea.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I've long held the opinion that space and the various things that accompany it might be the most boring chat a group can have. The sea is more interesting than space. Space chat can, in fact, get in the sea.
    At work a couple of weeks ago, two girls on my team were having a chat about which animal they'd be if they had the choice. I was laughing/exhaling at most of the things they were saying, then they asked what I'd pick. I said it'd be pretty fun to be a bird, which was met with "I used to say bird a lot." Turns out its been an ongoing conversation since childhood. I'd have killed for some hypothetical space shit over 'what animal would you be?'

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've been having the same conversation with each other since childhood?

How much can the conversation change?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people underestimate just how quickly us humans have evolved.

My guess is that alien lifeform exists, but likely way less intelligent and evolved as ourselves.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I think people underestimate just how quickly us humans have evolved.

My guess is that alien lifeform exists, but likely way less intelligent and evolved as ourselves.
    On the flipside, one could say that humans will think they're at the Apex of life because we're a) arrogant and b) it's all we know.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a great What But Why on this.

I think people underestimate a) the vastness and b) the timing required for us to come across something else out there. There could have been a huge civilisation around 3bn years ago or 1bn years later but we're such a new thing we might just miss it

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    There's a great What But Why on this.

I think people underestimate a) the vastness and b) the timing required for us to come across something else out there. There could have been a huge civilisation around 3bn years ago or 1bn years later but we're such a new thing we might just miss it
    The problem is that we just have no idea how rare life is. It could be extremely common and able to spawn into existence on one in a thousand planets. Or, maybe it's just a complete freak occurance and you'd need a quadrifucktriilion earth-like planets before anything like the life on this planet happened again.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    They've been having the same conversation with each other since childhood?

How much can the conversation change?
    I think its just a girl/'talking for the sake of talking' thing and one of them has been using that as a topic for decades. Bit like when we bring up Spikey's pinheed.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change everything to 100%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/66448453

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we're in one big Truman show, created by an advanced civilization and one of them is trying to let us know. Bet the set ends behind that question mark.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take them seriously when they draw us a celestial cock and balls.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the Plough was their attempt at that.