Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: TTH NFL Fantasy Football 2017 thread

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I like how all of the options are actual Pleb picks from last year
    I think I got them in the right order too. There was much lol in the draft chat room about it.

Soon turned to Mahow seethe when he went with Tucker real early.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleb View Post
    Mahow with the three man QB hype there.

The state of my team though. Pierre Garcon?
    That really shows you how wrong everyone is in every draft

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleb View Post
    Are we recruiting @Limoutsonik for our league this year?
    If you can get me up to speed regarding what website we are using and what rules are there,definitely :thumbsup

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo.

Rules will be pretty standard.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right,is there a league set up currently or do i wait for one to be setup?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're probably going to be waiting till late July-early August or thereabouts with the draft roughly being a week before the regular season.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got bored so I've done a few drafts using different 'strategies' to see which one came out best. All from the fifth pick in a ten team standard draft:

Early QB/TE (taking both a QB & a TE within the first five rounds)
    Late QB/TE (don't take either before round ten)
    Zero RB (none in the first three rounds)
    Zero WR
    Starters first (draft all starters/flex before any bench players - not including DST & Kicker)

I tried not to take the same players in each draft, just for some variety. The first & last drafts ended up with the strategies basically being the same, but there is potential for them to be more different, since I could just take four RBs & a WR alongside the QB & TE in the first, whereas in the last I'd have to draft at least two of both WR & RB to fill out my starters.

Any thoughts on which team is best, or if any of these supposed strategies are even worth considering?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an inkling before I looked, but from how I look at drafts, you'd done quite badly out of the first 3 for RBs and I'd be worried, but it gets very interesting looking at the last 2. It seems like not drafting a RB in the first 2 rounds really takes a toll on your team. The first 3 entries I'd be quite worried about the season, however entry 4 flips that. Taking no elite WR left you quite short there, but the RB corps I'd be very happy with. Option 5 is where it's at though.

Luck in R6 is a good value, considering his defence should see him behind and thus throwing a lot in games. I also like the high upside of Williams in R14. Looking across board #5 shows up something interesting. Those who split WR/RB in 1 and 2 seemed to come out with much more well rounded teams as they haven't had a pick forced upon them in say R4 or 5.

If it's of any value I tried to use your #2 strategy in our league last year, in terms of QB, while in my work league I went for strategy #5. My team looked much better in my work league, but both seasons finished 10-3. I came 3rd in ours, 1st in the work league. But I guess that's the difference between taking Dalton and Dak at the back of the draft, to taking Rodgers in R4.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May i ask what is wrong with the official NFL fantasy website?Seems pretty easy and straightforward if you ask me.Can't imagine Yahoo being any easier.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point about being forced into specific picks is part of the reason I tried all those strategies out. It does seem like you make things harder for yourself if you go in & rigidly follow one approach, rather than just playing the board as it falls. I would agree that getting a RB in the first two maybe three, rounds is pretty important though, and there's much better value late when it comes to recievers. Some very solid QB/TE options left late too.

One of the unexpected questions those drafts have thrown up for me is whether it's actually worth taking one of the three elite WRs at 5, when most of the time all the top RBs are gone by the time you pick again.

Having Antonio Brown there at five is delightful, and pairing him with someone like Freeman, Howard or Murray would set you up nicely, but that approach seems much more variable in terms of players actually making it back. Is it actually better to grab McCoy or Gordon there then take someone like Jordy, Dez or TY Hilton in the second round? Or do you take Brown anyway, knowing you can always take two stud WRs & get someone like Fournette, Gurley or Miller in the third should none of the top RBs make it to your second pick?

Also, the continued difference between the value on Lynch in 'expert' drafts & public ones. He's always a top two round guy in public drafts, but almost every drafts I've seen by people in the know has him down at 5 or 6, which is much closer to where I fancy him than R2.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with Lynch is he is a popular player and at this point is somewhat an unknown. He's been out for essentially 1 year and a half and is on a brand new team at age 31. Given all of that, there's no way he should be going 2nd round, but he will due to the name. It seems all a bit fairytale for me that he'd waltz into his hometown club and drive them on to the Superbowl they've missed out on for years. The experts have him where he makes sense, the fans don't.

To answer your Antonio Brown dilemma it comes down to how you select players. I personally sort players into tiers. Doing that better helps me see value. I'll use an example.

#1 - Johnson
    #2 - Bell

These two I feel are clearly a level ahead of everyone but Zeke, with it being personal preference as to which way around. The 3rd RB we have now is Zeke. He is also a class above everyone else, but not quite of the level of the two guys above.

Let's say we're now drafting at pick #4. The top 3 RBs have gone as expected. You now have the choice of Brown/Jones(both clear at the top of their own tiers) or the next best RB. At present #4 RB is Shady McCoy. Should you take him you are looking at your 1st WR being Baldwin, Hopkins, Cooper or Robinson.
    You've settled here and have a 3rd tier RB as well as a 3rd Tier WR in your first two picks.

Going the other way, you take Brown or Jones with your first round pick and you are looking at Fournette, Gurley or Miller as your first RB. You've still got your 3rd tier RB but now your have the #1 WR. Option two, to me seems better than 1. You've also given yourself a bargaining chip.
    If your draft goes horribly from then in terms of RB, you can see the other teams in your league. Try to look for one who went RB heavy but lost out at WR. You can get great value on Brown, depending on how smart the opponent is.

What these draft wizards can't account for though is the stupidity of man. There's always going to be someone who will take the home team player over who makes sense. In my work league I know Russel Wilson will go before Andrew Luck. I know Beckham Jr is likely going to be the first WR taken.
    I also feel like the guy who takes Gronk this year is going to do quite badly out of it. There's so much depth now at TE that the players you are passing over in R2 or 3 for him just aren't worth it.

As for doubling down on WRs in R1 and 2. I tried that and had Brown/Hopkins(you might get lucky and sneak Dez here). You were looking at Hyde, McCaffery and Crowell for your RB slot. That's okay, but now you have more bargaining chips if you change your mind.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know everyone is hellbent on having a Yahoo league (It's better than NFL.com for fuck sake) but having looked at ESPN you can preserve your league's history apparently

I guess it all boils down to if we want to preserve our history or not @Gray Fox @Browning @whoeverisbraveorstupidenoughtohost

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My drafted team in 2011:

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The year before that (which isn't showing up annoyingly) was even better:

Tom Brady
    Jimmy Clausen

LaDainian Tomlinson
    Joseph Addai
    Dexter McCluster (doubles as a RB and a WR)
    Montario Hardesty

Steve Smith (Panthers one)
    Arrelious Benn
    Steve Breaston
    Demaryius Thomas

Owen Daniels
    Jermaine Gresham

Nate Kaeding
    Garrett Lindholm

Dallas

I had watched about a total of 2 hours of NFL across a couple of Super Bowls and only knew of players in Madden that I picked up that year. Oh and Joseph Addai who I had an irrational hatred towards.

Tomlinson was my number 1 pick and I ended up trading Brady to Elth for Carson Palmer.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you imagine having LT during that year.

31 touchdowns in a season. Thirty One. For a running back! Putting it into perspective you have David Johnson. He was mental last year and is rightly the #1 pick in any fantasy league. He got 20 TDs last year. He was just crazy.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well league members can.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football is nearly back lads

Are we thinking end of preseason for the draft? Also, anyone fancy doing an extra one as a PPR/2QB/Keeper/something else league?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love a second being a keeper.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That archive

I'm not sure if I can resurrect that league now as I think I deleted it. If I could I would though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PPR/2QB/Keeper,bit help here gents for us newbies?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PPR is points per reception which speaks for itself. You get a point for a reception in addition to points for yardage so RBs who get a lot of catches have greater value etc.

2QB means you start with 2 QBs instead of one, dramatically increasing the value of QBs.

Keeper means you can keep 1 or more players from 1 year to the next by giving up draft picks.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we do all three?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main league does all 3.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should do all three. It will probably be a barrel of laughs. Draft should be near the end of pre season @Dan

Someone hurry up and make the damn league

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All together, or three separate leagues? A 2QB, PPR keeper league might be one year too soon for us, I think

I just want to do some drafting, really. Slowly starting to work on my draft board, but even mock drafts aren't quite the same as a proper draft.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to steal it from Gray Fox if he wants to keep doing it, but if not I'll set it up whenever, I've already set up all my other leagues. Seems I can't just resurrect the old TTH league (I did check) but that's probably no big deal as half the people in it probably don't play any longer.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we have enough regulars who actually pay attention for a keeper?

I'm in anyway. Fuck doing three drafts though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to join a regular league but fuck me all these other variations look like a massive ball-ache.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Ian, i am only really interested in one TTH league seeing as i am so many others. I'm happy with any/all the variations above though.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love a dynasty league but the one I was in died.

A TTH one would work if the interest is there.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the same setup as last season then.

PPR Head to Head with a 6 team playoffs system if we can get 10 people to do it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't have PPR last year, but i'm not against adding it.

The only thing I'd change is the waiver system. I still don't think it should reset every week, I think it should roll on, so using your waiver actually costs you something because you go to the back of the line.

Other than that things worked fine.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed that halfway through the season.

By the way I don't mind who runs it, so long as we get a league.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm in for a keeper league

fuck PPR tho

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'll set it up.

May as well just have one league and make it a keeper league, as the old TTH one was. Unless anyone has any objections.

I'll get invites out shortly.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "El Plebbo" needs to be a thing if I'm honest

I have no objections just get the league up and running

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course in my first batch of PMs I forgot to include myself... so we should have a minimum of 8 if everyone I invited accepts. Couple more would be ideal but we can roll with 8.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Settings look fine if I'm honest.

If we get to the 10 teams needed are we looking at a solo division league with top 6 heading into the playoffs etc?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll need to look at it, but it'll be either 4 or 6 teams in the Play Offs.

If it's an 8 team league it'll be 4 into the Play Offs for certain.

If it's 10 teams I'll probably leave it at 6. I think that's probably too many but the drama it causes last year in the final week is worth it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've added a couple of flex spots and 1 bench spot, but don't think anything else there looks too broken.

Any suggestions post them in the thread, and we should probably discuss the draft time/date (which is just a place holder).

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3WR, 2 Flex

I've been working on the assumption it would be 2WR, 1 Flex, so two extra rounds is delightful. Time to start figuring out how that changes things, I guess.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 WR was the default but I wasn't sure if I should change that to 2.

Oh well, it's always better when you have to take a few punts on not so obvious players.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there 7 bench spots instead of 6 as well?

I'm definitely all for it. Three extra rounds of dart throws should make the draft more ridiculous than last year, as well as reducing the amount of top, top players sitting on the waiver wire, and the extra lineup spots should make game days even better.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I added an extra bench spot because of the larger starting rosters and because I took out the IR spot.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoughts on 4pts for QB touchdowns vs. 6? We'd probably have to up the INT to 2 alongside a passing TD increase, mind.

I guess the better question is 4:1 or 6:2?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, are kick/punt return TDs currently counting for the individual player? I might like Tyreek Hill a bit more if that's the case

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6:2 is my preference so I've changed it to that. Happy to change back to 4:1 if people want.

From what I can see it looks like return TDs do count for the individual, which is as it should be.