User Tag List

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running and General Exercise Thread

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually broken keto this past week to try and recover. Didn't have cramps before.

You can, Henry. 10k is nothing.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you drinking enough water?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-5 litres a day.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.45.04 half marathon this morning. I'm disappointed with that even though it was a hot day on a tough course. A couple of months ago, I was going faster in my long runs without even pushing myself.

Not long before I step up my training again for the Dublin Marathon.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to do some marathon training by following an app on runkeeper. My aim is 3.45 and I should be ready by the end of September/beginning of October. I was going to do a half marathon programme but as I can do that already and it starts off slow, it seemed a bit pointless.

I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with it though, as I'm meant to run four times a week and that's tricky.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    1.45.04 half marathon this morning. I'm disappointed with that even though it was a hot day on a tough course. A couple of months ago, I was going faster in my long runs without even pushing myself.

Not long before I step up my training again for the Dublin Marathon.
    The heat and a hilly course is bound to have an effect though. It's still a good pace.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well post here. I've been running for about 6 months now in preparation for the Norwich 10k in August. I've lost nearly 20lbs and my best is 1hr 5mins but I just can't get the 5 minutes off.

Any tips for shaving those 30 secs per km I need to?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run a bit faster.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top tip is to get a heart rate monitor and run consistently at 150bpm. That will train your aerobic fitness better. You might find that you're going very slowly at first but it will pick up after a few runs.

Apart from that just run more, although only increase mileage by 10% per week.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't run properly for a while but I have a 5.6km one we're entered in with work next month so been doing a couple a week (JP Morgan Challenge if anyone else here is involved).

My breathing is still ragged as fuck but I'm getting close to 5 minute k's which I'd be fairly happy with. Haven't bothered yet, but do you guys find sprint intervals help you get quicker?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Decided to do some marathon training by following an app on runkeeper. My aim is 3.45 and I should be ready by the end of September/beginning of October. I was going to do a half marathon programme but as I can do that already and it starts off slow, it seemed a bit pointless.

I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with it though, as I'm meant to run four times a week and that's tricky.
    How do you find the training plans on Runkeeper? I've been tempted for Ł2.50 a month or whatever it is but tend to just keep doing the free run.

Do they vary the runs a little in pace/distance? Or is it literally just a build up your distance type thing.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    22km this morning. Not proper marathon training yet, but I'm trying to do a decent long run every weekend to stop my endurance sliding any further.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half marathon this morning in 1.40. I'm happy enough with that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmo View Post
    How do you find the training plans on Runkeeper? I've been tempted for Ł2.50 a month or whatever it is but tend to just keep doing the free run.

Do they vary the runs a little in pace/distance? Or is it literally just a build up your distance type thing.
    I think you need to subscribe. I'm doing a marathon plan and it has me training four times a week. It generally builds up to your main/long run on a Sunday. It varies quite a bit, seems good. Just a shame I don't have the time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else doing the Great North Run, by the way?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've left the 5k world behind for a little while and tried to work on upping the distance recently. Whereas before I would just stick to a pre-determined route and just continuously run and try to improve on it, I've started staying out and going off on some extended detours if I'm feeling good. Which in itself is nice change of scenery.

I managed to crack 8 miles out last week, which I was pretty happy with. I weirdly feel less worn out when I get in from these runs than I was feeling from the 5k's, but I guess that's down to not really being concerned as much about pace on them. I did get an absolute bastard of a stitch about 7 miles in though, which isn't something that's happened to me since I first started doing it. Powered through it though.

I do need to keep half a mind on not over-doing it too though, I think. The various issues with the legs had completely disappeared, but as I've gradually increased the distance the knee has started to ache a bit again. I don't want a full-on reoccurrence of all that shit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since starting to train regularly (by that I mean ca 5 times/week rather than ca 2 times/week which was the norm before) in November last year, and since altering my diet quite a bit since maybe February (basically eating healthy on weekdays more or less) I've lost somewhere around 12+ kilo or so. Quite content with myself really. Only thing is since I've been trying to lose fat, it's been impossible to build muscle, so now I'm quite thin (not that I was ever that muscly before).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the London 10k earlier. Provisional time of 45:30 which is pretty great.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one. I did 19k in about 1hr30 earlier. I've bought a bottle belt now that I'm doing longer runs, as at the moment I'm doing them with no water and they're tricky in this heat. I didn't take it today though as I want to trial it on a shorter run. I was desperate for a drink by 16k.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24k today, just under 2 hours. I think this is the start of my 3 months training for Dublin marathon. 200k in July. 250k in August. 300k in September.

Lots of miles means lots of grub though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys run multiple times in a day or is it just one longer run?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One long run.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got sub-100 for the half marathon. 1.39.10 on a tough course, which is encouraging just as I am starting to ramp up the training again.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 weeks tomorrow until the race, I've taken a week off because my heels have been giving me trouble but I'll go for a long run tomorrow.

Looks like 1 hour for the 10k isn't happening but I'm hovering around the 1:03 mark so who knows.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a half in October so 11 weeks to train. The missus wants to run with me which should help build up the running time.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless your missus is roughly the same pace/fitness as you, I can only see that slowing you down?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    2 weeks tomorrow until the race, I've taken a week off because my heels have been giving me trouble but I'll go for a long run tomorrow.

Looks like 1 hour for the 10k isn't happening but I'm hovering around the 1:03 mark so who knows.
    Doesn't an official race slow you down anyway? What with the walking start and various mongs cutting across your path.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post
    Unless your missus is roughly the same pace/fitness as you, I can only see that slowing you down?
    She will but at first I'll be wanting minutes rather than times.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Doesn't an official race slow you down anyway? What with the walking start and various mongs cutting across your path.
    Depends if you're in the right time group. Otherwise your pin starts when you cross the line and you should be fine.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You run faster in races than any other time. Getting caught in a crowd is the exception.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I've put myself in the 55 minute bracket, so in theory everyone should speed away and give me clean air to run. Or I keep up with them and finish in under an hour. Win-win

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've put myself down for 45mins for my 10k in a few months. I did 13k in an hour this morning.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a month or so off almost all exercise i went for a run this evening and it went surprisingly well. I've always maintained that festivals are very good for fitness, but I think this proves it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to crack 10 miles out tonight, which I'm pretty happy with. New record distance!

The time left a lot to be desired though (I think), it worked out at about at a pace of about 10:30 a mile. Which I assume is not good. I'm sure I was down at under 9 minutes a mile at one point when I was really smashing the 5k's. Although I suppose you can't expect to maintain the same pace over three times the distance. My knee was giving up a bit for the last couple of miles too, which slowed me down.

Still, it was just nice to be out for a nice long run and not even really be gasping for breath at the end. Especially given than five months ago when I started this little experiment I basically collapsed on the floor after a solitary mile. It's a very nice feeling of progression.

We'll see if I can walk in the morning now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going ten miles, whether running, jogging or walking, is no mean feat @Alex, well done!

Gives you something to aim for next time, too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good effort. I ran 9 miles on Monday and doing again tonight. First 10k running home at my own pace then meeting the wife for a 5k at hers. She surprised me though as she was able to 8m/km.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started running again last week, hopefully can keep it up this time. Been for 3 runs in last 4 days (albeit incl. a slow one with the girlfriend) and feeling pretty good. Don't think I'll manage a 10k before I move on the 8th but it's a good aim to have.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't you previously been in very good shape, though? I reckon you can do it. Smash Henry for me!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new aim is a half marathon in under an hour and a half. Probably within a couple of months. Enjoy smashing me though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run 30k this week. 10k from work then a much slower 5k with the wife. The extra 5k is proving painful. I need to do a two hour run at some point for my half marathon in October.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Haven't you previously been in very good shape, though? I reckon you can do it. Smash Henry for me!
    Nah, not be in good shape for about 5 years. Best shape I've been in since then was being able to run a 10k earlier this year.

Henry's safe for now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran 8.25k in 50 minutes earlier, which means I could do 10k in under an hour, but I do think a lot of that was to do with pizza energy. Stumbled on for another 20k after that, but it was half walking, half very slow jogging.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long did you do 20k in? 3 hours?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was actually quite a bit less than I thought. 24.75k in just over three hours. There was plenty of walking after the 10k.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed the Norwich 10k in 1:04:07.

Considering the heat (about 17 degress with blazing sunshine), the need to move through the pack at the start and the fact that it's quite hilly, I think a time about 30 seconds off my personal bes was decent.

More importantly of the 3 of us at work who were seen as the back-markers I won, so that's the main thing.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the route?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So;

• Start down the Highstreet from Halifax and up Theatre Street
    • Round Chapelfield Gardens and back down along St Stephens Street and Castle Meadow
    • Down King Street and do a circuit round Carrow Road
    • Back down Wherry Road and past the Station
    • Up Rose Lane (toughest part of the course) and down Prince of Wales Road
    • Left onto Bishopsgate and down the Riverside Walk
    • Cross the bridge at the Red Lion pub and up through the Cathedral Grounds
    • Past the Law Courts and onto Magdalen Street
    • Up Tombland and back down Castle Meadow
    • Back up Theatre Street and then past the Forum for the finish line.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    28.4k this morning. 355 metres elevation but I felt okay. Going to do 15k tomorrow, which will test me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completed another 28k this evening, which takes me up to 93km in the past 6 days. Really struggled at the end, could have collapsed if it had been much further. Sleep now. And then a couple of days rest.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good effort. How long did that take?

I've entered another 10k next weekend at regent's park. The day after a friend's party. Parkrun tomorrow.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took 2 hours 21 minutes.

And obviously since I'm typing this, I can't in fact sleep. Overdoing it leads to a sore head.