User Tag List

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running and General Exercise Thread

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll join you, Offy. I don't know how to post a URL so I'll just stick it in this spoiler:

Toggle Spoiler

The place has a lot of joggers so at least I'll have some company and the lake perimeter is approximately 1 mile. I'm not a big runner and usually get about 90 minutes in a week with biking but it's never something I've pushed myself at. I've just checked my pace on the treadmill this evening and it looks like I'm doing 1km in around 9 minutes. So I'm nowhere near the pace here but let's see how quick I can catch up.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jogging is pretty similar to weightlifting in terms of beginner's benefits, which is good. Maintain it for like 3 weeks and you'll see a huge difference in your times/distances. Just a matter of sticking to it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have preferred using my bike until I'm able to buy a sufficient pair of trainers to start jogging. So far the diet and actually finding what sort of exercise I prefer are the only two things that are really letting me down right now.

Tomorrow it's two weeks no fag. I need to capitalize on this. Today I have my morning cup of tea (how shit is tea btw?) and now my target for the day is to drink only water.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    I'll join you, Offy. I don't know how to post a URL so I'll just stick it in this spoiler:

Toggle Spoiler

The place has a lot of joggers so at least I'll have some company and the lake perimeter is approximately 1 mile. I'm not a big runner and usually get about 90 minutes in a week with biking but it's never something I've pushed myself at. I've just checked my pace on the treadmill this evening and it looks like I'm doing 1km in around 9 minutes. So I'm nowhere near the pace here but let's see how quick I can catch up.
    Offy and 7om v Henry and Kikó

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone beat me at present? My PB's are:

5k: 21.07
    10k: 45.49
    Half: 1.40.22
    Marathon: 3.34.54

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me 6 weeks.

(and you still will be faster)

edit: Checked my 2009 Great Manc run time (the only time I've done a timed 10k) 53m 04sec. Hope I can beat that this time.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a month and I'll break all those.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could beat all of those times but running sucks.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, my time today was:

Toggle Spoiler

When I set off I was genuinely expecting 1:30:00. The conditions were terrible, too. It was humid, slippery from rain last night and I picked up a little niggle in my calf yesterday that was very frustrating to run with. Still, a shave a minute off every day and success!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What distance was that?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just over 10k. First time I've ever attempted 10k and I'm exhausted. Feels good, though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, okay. Well done. Did you stop at any point or did you manage to keep going?
    You're at about 7 minutes per km at present, which I'd suggest you can get down to well under 6 minutes in a few weeks with regular training.
    Forget about getting towards 4 minutes (and thus beating me) for quite a while though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably stopped about 8-10 times. Its mostly uphill so the first half is agonising, then its fine coming back but I'm already knackered. I'll be very happy to get under 60 minutes before 17th June, which is when I plan on stopping and fully recovering before Glastonbury.

However, I'm not giving up on beating your time that easily.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've a 13.5k route planned for this evening. Nothing fast, I'll do it by heartrate.
    Trying to stop myself from getting lazy at the moment. My volume will definitely go down, but I hope that enables me to do a bit more speedwork.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I started couch to 5k again recently. I'm on week 4 now. I'm getting horrible shin splints though.
    I've just downloaded them all. Would I be best off starting from the very beginning no matter how easy it seems?

mss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5k: 19.36
    10k: 46.01
    Half: not done one yet, signed up for the Manchester one in October but aiming for 1.40ish
    Marathon: 4.13.something. I like to think if I had trained properly I could break 4 hours.

Got a friend doing a 68 mile ultra marathon in the lake district in July so considering possibly signing up for that next year

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say run as much as you can. The early stages on that app are probably there to trick lazy people.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I'd say run as much as you can. The early stages on that app are probably there to trick lazy people.
    I fall into that catagory I imagine. I'm not fit but I'm not unfit. I could probably go and do 3/4 miles now in 40 mins or so without having done a thing in however long.

I just want some sort of structure applied to it tbh. The hardest part is getting out of the door.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could already crack 3 or 4 miles of continuous running out Smiff then surely there's no need for the plan? Just pick back up at that level and keep doing it every few days until you get better/faster.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    I fall into that catagory I imagine. I'm not fit but I'm not unfit. I could probably go and do 3/4 miles now in 40 mins or so without having done a thing in however long.

I just want some sort of structure applied to it tbh. The hardest part is getting out of the door.
    Seriously, just do it. The structure will come as you begin to recognise what time of day you prefer to run. I prefer to run in the evenings so I'm not knackered all day, but some days if I'm struggling to get started with work then I just get the run out of the way. Running in the evenings came with a mental block because I'd already be tired, but once you get into it you realise you still have plenty of energy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    If you could already crack 3 or 4 miles of continuous running out Smiff then surely there's no need for the plan? Just pick back up at that level and keep doing it every few days until you get better/faster.
    I should state I'm basing that on the fact I have done so before only a few years ago. It wasn't flat out continuous as I did stop to chunder my guts up every once in a while but I really want to take advantage of not smoking and feel the benefits I'm already feeling.

Seriously, just do it. The structure will come as you begin to recognise what time of day you prefer to run. I prefer to run in the evenings so I'm not knackered all day, but some days if I'm struggling to get started with work then I just get the run out of the way. Running in the evenings came with a mental block because I'd already be tired, but once you get into it you realise you still have plenty of energy.
    I suppose you're right, I just figured a structured start whereby I could actively see my progression etc would spur me on.

Something like this is actually helping, I find.

Toggle Spoiler

I don't own a smartphone any more so just downloading one of those running apps isn't something I can do. I now have a T-Mobile Zest.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started by just walking up to the woods and running what felt like a decent distance. It was only after that I looked up the distance and it was 6k-7k. If you're motivated to run, then just run. I find sticking to main paths a bit boring, so if you can find some off-road bike paths then use them. For this 10k malarkey I'm using the main paths because that's the only way to measure it properly, but today I was trying to occupy my mind because when I get bored I don't run as far. Just looking around seemed to help, but I might try playing little games in my head.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't run every day if you're getting started. Do it three times per week and force yourself to stick to it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Don't run every day if you're getting started. Do it three times per week and force yourself to stick to it.
    I was thinking every other day would suffice.

I'm going back many many years now but me and three mates started going out each evening and I was the last to drop. I only did so due to a legitimate injury but I just didn't bother again afterwards.

I probably benefit from doing an awful lot of walking so I'm not starting completely from scratch. I'm also thinking more about my diet before I start doing it (that's not looking for excuses, honest). I just think if I'm going to start then I want to do so properly whilst giving myself the best chance to succeed.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did 6.2k (in 40:19) but more importantly I got my breath back much quicker and felt like I was in much better shape. I think I'll do 6.2k again tomorrow, then rest, then after my exam on Monday I'll attempt something stupid like 15k.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of this evening, 30:18 if my new best 5k time.

The idea of getting it under 30 minutes seemed completely unreasonable when I first ran that route a couple of months ago, I think I was slogging it out around the 38 minute mark. Almost there though!
    28 fucking 40.

I really had to dig deep and fight the urge not to stop and collapse and/or throw up on the home stretch though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    28 fucking 40.

I really had to dig deep and fight the urge not to stop and collapse and/or throw up on the home stretch though.
    You might as well try and beat Henry's 10k time now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My calves are ridiculously tight right now. Is there anything I can do to help them loosen up overnight?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They probably just need stretching. Hold for 30 seconds or more.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My calves are ridiculously tight right now. Is there anything I can do to help them loosen up overnight?
    Has your former fatness blessed you with perfect calves?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Has your former fatness blessed you with perfect calves?
    Aye, my calves are massive without any effort. Thighs, as well. I should really put them to some use in rugby, but I'm too much of a pussy.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not stretching before and after a run you're just asking for your legs to get fucked up

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran the 10k today in 43.30

New target, motherfuckers.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least make it difficult.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up injuring myself yesterday after the tight calves incident. I'm not running today, but I'm hoping it's alright tomorrow.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone beat me at present? My PB's are:

5k: 21.07
    10k: 45.49
    Half: 1.40.22
    Marathon: 3.34.54
    Are these just normal runs and not races? Our times are pretty similar. According to Runkeeper:
    10k: 44.25
    5k: 21.38

I only really run 10ks though, and think I could do 5k a bit quicker than the time above. I've done a couple of 90 minute runs recently and managed 18.4k, so I'd be doing a half marathon in 1.40.

I'm thinking of signing up for a race or two. Do you think that would spur me on for some PBs?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are personal bests, all set in races. You definitely run faster in those so go for it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm proper injured. Not gonna attempt anything again till Friday, which will have meant a week lost. I don't think I'm gonna do it anymore.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong?

You did seem like you were doing an awful lot very quickly.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing 6k on and off for ages now. That tightness in my calves the other night (Friday?) translated to a tweak on Saturday that I still ran on, then today I could feel it going again so I quit at like 1k.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was an easy victory...

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my right wrist being apparently on the way to fuck-town, I've decided to get back on the push-ups on the slim hope that this someone strengthens it. At least when I'm working, I'm not aggravating it with typing.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was an easy victory...
    Game abandoned.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, running is bloody hard work the sun comes out, isn't it? Give me a nice, cold, winter night any day. Jesus.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did notice my times would improve in the colder conditions (even if my toes started freezing), but then you look at the countries that are good at long distance running, and they're all super hot climates.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And high altitude. It's something to do with your body adapts to low oxygen levels.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offy showing commendable will power there.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to the gym today and at the end had a little go on the cross trainer to see how my calf was doing. Could feel it as soon as I put the resistance up to a significant level. I thought it would have healed by now ffs. Although, a couple nights ago I had a spasm in my calf that woke me up and I reckon that fucked it again. The last few nights I've been getting leg cramps as I'm falling asleep too. Will that have anything to do with the sudden stop of running?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to the gym today and at the end had a little go on the cross trainer to see how my calf was doing. Could feel it as soon as I put the resistance up to a significant level. I thought it would have healed by now ffs. Although, a couple nights ago I had a spasm in my calf that woke me up and I reckon that fucked it again. The last few nights I've been getting leg cramps as I'm falling asleep too. Will that have anything to do with the sudden stop of running?
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sp...e-calf-muscles

Low carbs? (are you still doing the ketosis?)

Do dynamic stretching before you run/cross train etc, and static stretching afterwards.

Personally for tennis I do 3 mins of jogging/bike followed by around 7 mins of dynamic stretches. But I think some runners do just the dynamic stretches before a run. Henry or someone will know better.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't have a low carb diet if you're trying to be a distance runner. For fuck sake.

You probably shouldn't have a low carb diet anyway. They're bullshit.