44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mate from the bank managed to (just) break 3 hours today, is that good

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 hours of what? Marathon running? Great! Chatting with the OAP's that still use bank branches? Shit.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ye marathon

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under 3 hours for a marathon is a phenomenal time.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Going "sub 3" is like the gold standard for amateur runners really. It's a fantastic time.

In fact I think going under 3 hours in a proper race is the cut off that will, as an amateur, get you a London Marathon place on time alone - i.e. you basically just "qualify" and don't have to enter the ballot. Although I assume there are still only a certain amount of spots they have reserved for those people too. They probably hand them out based on who is fastest.

For context you would need to average about 6:50 a mile for the whole race. Strava tells me the fastest mile I've ever clocked is 7:12, in about six years of running. I mean I'm sure I could do a mile (or maybe even a couple) at that pace if I went out with the intention of doing it. But to keep it up for that distance? No chance.

I mean everyone is different, but I went 8:50 a mile over 20 miles last week and I've really knuckled down on training to get there. So he's not fucking around if he's running the entire marathon in that sort of time.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah my mate is mad dedicated. he was running before, after and sometimes during work on his lunch break back in 2016, but would also have entire packs of donuts for his lunch and shit.

in the last couple of years he's given up alcohol and any unhealthy snacks entirely, and committed to a "Kenyan runners physique". it's quite impressive for something entirely amateur.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up and out for the Leeds Marathon today. I've been worrying (and moaning) about the hills involved in it, but after just reading that Sinfield is doing the whole thing pushing Rob Burrow in his chair I shall not be making another peep about them. Fucking hell.

I'm not usually massively fussed about famous people pursuing causes (I don't have anything against it obviously, I just tend to be quite passive on it) but I can't help but be almost constantly impressed by those two. And a little bit annoyed at Sinfield for making the rest of us look shit in comparison.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Properly emotional watching Sinfield carry Burrow over the line.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all due respect to Rob Burrow, somebody should just smother him.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how you don't just finish off after a diagnosis of that. Horrendous.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he's next level isn't he. It's difficult to comprehend really. I assume an actual knighting is nailed on in the very near future. If it's not then something has gone very wrong with the system.

I saw him quite a lot out on the course. He kept overtaking me! They would run a few miles and then stop to make sure Rob was Ok (it was really warm out there) and I would pass them and then ten minutes later he would pass me.

There's something slightly demoralising about being 18 miles in and half way up a quite steep 3 mile hill, towing, and Sinfield breezes past you for the fourth or fifth time whilst pushing another grown man in a chair and just saying "alright" to everyone like he's strolling down to the shops or something.

It was a cracking event though. Hard but a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    With all due respect to Rob Burrow, somebody should just smother him.
    I have thought this myself. By which I mean in terms of, if it were me, absolutely that is what I would want. Well, I think that is what I would want. Who knows how you feel when it actually comes down to doing it.

I don't know if being a married man with children changes that for him either, I can't speak from that perspective because I don't have either. My default position would be I wouldn't want them seeing me like that, but how do you know until it happens? I'm sure the fundraising keeps him going to some extent too, perhaps. I don't know.

It's a different kind of strength to keep going in a situation like that though. So whatever his reason is fair play to him, I would be long out of it by now I think. I was a little surprised he was around for the marathon because the rate he's declining is frighting.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At that point my life expectancy would be so short I'd just see it out.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He gets a pass cos I imagine he’s raised a lot of money, but most of them need switching off so the resources (money, properties, people) can be better used elsewhere.
    I'm a twit

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my move to London, I'm in some strange no man's land of gyms which include a spa/health club. The closest all seem to be 20-30 mins away. I went to see the closest one today, a David Lloyd (17 mins drive), and I was familiar with their business model of trying to pull in the self-publicists but fuck me, Ł194 per month and their gym was a fairly shit one too. Don't get me wrong, their spa was world class and so was the absolute wall-to-wall slutty specimens begging for attention but I'm still reeling from the discovery of the price.

I'll have to take the 25 minute drive to a Virgin for Ł85 per month which, up until 6 hours ago, seemed a hefty price compared to my beloved Ł50 Bannatyne of old.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best gym ever was The Gym at Wood Green for Ł18 per month. So much space to chuck tyres about.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need for cardio either as you'd get a good work out running away from the Wood Green Massive on your way to/from the gym.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Since my move to London, I'm in some strange no man's land of gyms which include a spa/health club. The closest all seem to be 20-30 mins away. I went to see the closest one today, a David Lloyd (17 mins drive), and I was familiar with their business model of trying to pull in the self-publicists but fuck me, Ł194 per month and their gym was a fairly shit one too. Don't get me wrong, their spa was world class and so was the absolute wall-to-wall slutty specimens begging for attention but I'm still reeling from the discovery of the price.

I'll have to take the 25 minute drive to a Virgin for Ł85 per month which, up until 6 hours ago, seemed a hefty price compared to my beloved Ł50 Bannatyne of old.
    Ł194

I’m Ł18.50 or something at The Gym. Just usually full of old dossers and woman when I go at lunchtime. Sometimes get a few juice heads in but is what it is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would get you nearly 7 months at my gym

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David Lloyd was the closest gym to my 1st flat and I called them to find out the monthly cost. They flat out would not tell me on the phone, I had to go and see it. So I did, and fuck me they like to push a sale. They wanted Ł90 a month for an off peak membership. I'm glad to see they have tracked inflation.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point of the price is to keep the plebs out

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chips in the cafe are top though.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    The point of the price is to keep the plebs out
    Conspicuous consumption means it has quite the opposite effect, as evidenced by me ofc.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the heart mentalness in the other thread, I did a 10k the other day as part of the Brussels 20k. Annoyingly, my Strava didn't record and because I was in a relay, I can't tell what my time was. I've signed up to do a 20k this weekend so as long as I'm not considered dead, that should be fun/painful.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m on an 18 week training plan to run a marathon. Not actual race in mind but just to do one. 3 weeks in and at the minute pretty good although I’m pretty much just running at my level.

The next 2 to 3 weeks see the running increase quite a bit so this is the challenge as I had an Achilles issue that stopped me running for about 8/9 months and I haven’t run a half marathon for 13 months so I’m concerned this could be where I breakdown again.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 miles this morning in 1.28:54. Rolling pretty well at the minute. As I pissed about and didn’t do my run for yesterday until 6pm so I think with proper prep I could have knock a couple of minutes off that pretty easily.

3 weeks till the first half marathon and I’m hoping to do that inside 1.55 and take it from there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from completing my second marathon at the long course weekend down Tenby 6000ft elevation the hills were brutal.

Missed the cut off for a red carpet finish by 3 minutes but balls to that I was just happy to reach the end of the 26 miles.

The atmosphere at the athletes village was amazing support from every running and the locals was great and a real boost, I’ve signed up to do the full weekend next year so that’s something to aim for now aswell!

Starting my training for my first attempt at an ultra now in 15 weeks starts at Llanrhidan in West Wales following the coast all the way down through the Gower and finishing in Swansea.

Hoping to have reach my target weight off 16 stone by then aswell

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought it might be fun to work on flexibility, been doing daily stretching and a load of hamstring lengthening stuff like RDLs and good mornings. Progress has felt pretty slow but re-measured today for the first time in a couple of months and it's coming along nicely. Splits by Christmas

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That whole post is mental, James. You're being out-exercised by Mahow.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merely another outlet for my autism.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's that app?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    That whole post is mental, James. You're being out-exercised by Mahow.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    What's that app?
    It's probably a camera filter on Grindr.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top work, flexibility is critical. Would highly recommend the splits training app, enjoyable sub 30 min workouts that will get you to serious flexibility levels whilst giving the post-yoga euphoria. I never did reach full splits but no biggie.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently 69th (nice) in the rankings for people who use my gym.

It is lifetime, I think, but a good portion of the gym use fobs rather than phones to track their workouts but still. 69.

Up to 3 sessions a week with each one lasting just over an hour.

I actually think that I kind of enjoy it too, not when I'm actually working out but I seem to look forward to my gym days and I do get a buzz after finishing a session.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good man.

I know what you mean regards the buzz after. I mean I don't go to the gym but with a run, I imagine it's a similar thing. It can be difficult during, of course. But you never wish you hadn't done it after.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working out pretty much 4 times a week now since COVID and it's definitely a buzz/addiction to keep pushing yourself every time. I genuinely have mood swings if I don't work out because something gets in the way of it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any tips to prevent/treat muscle fatigue?

Last two gym sessions I've had I really struggled with my strength exercises due to fatigue in my arms.

Really pissed me off.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Potentially ZMA before bed, but otherwise creatine, cold baths, enough protein and stretching.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need time to adapt to the training load. New exercises always give me bad DOMS as well but it doesn't last too long.

Upping my protein intake was a game changer. I think I was sitting at about 50g a day when I wasn't paying attention to it but try and shoot for 120g+ per day now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creatine is great as well. If you're getting DOMs then maybe you're doing too many exercises on a muscle. Simplify it and let yourself recover.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did buy Creatine after I felt the fatigue on Wednesday.

Took it today, didn't seem to do much but that might just be because it's too early to have had an effect.

It's not DOMs, my arms have felt fine before going to the gym (and after) but as soon as I start lifting my muscles just seem to turn to mush.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creatine takes 30 days to have any effect.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nut...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got this for free the other week and tried it out today by mistake. It looks like the standard protein powder tub and I was using the 30g scoop and put near enough 50-55g of powder in. I could be wrong my I’m sure 20g equates to 300mg so needless to say I’ve been a mess all day. Sitting in bed right now 7 hours feeling like I’ve polished off a half q of marching powder.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still having what I presume are heart palpitations are fun

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you have any of it? Looks like junk?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was having a protein shake. Never clicked until after I came back from gym early as felt like I was going to keel over.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all make that mistake once. Never twice.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massage guns. Talk to me. Are they all one of the same or is there a a go to brand?