User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running and General Exercise Thread

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Running and General Exercise Thread

Because the old one seems to have disappeared somewhere.

I ran the Belfast Marathon at the weekend, with a chiptime of 3.34.54
    I had aimed for 3 and a half hours (always good to have an aggressive target) but after staying with the pacers most of the way, I needed to slow for the last few km. Still, nice progress.

The plan now is to ease off on the volume for a couple of months and concentrate on some speedwork instead. Then at the end of July I'll start training for the Dublin marathon which is later in the year.

I'm also doing the Great North Run before then, but that's more for the experience.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a ten k coming up but fuck doings further than that.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run 4 times a week and do weights the other 3. Not possible any more, though I can't say I miss it too much.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing says 'hire me' like a breathless Welshman in a sweat drenched suit.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Henry that's a great time isn't it? I don't know much about marathons but under four hours is a big achievement right?

It's been nearly three months since my arm break and I'm allowed to run again in 8 days' time. Or more relative to me- play tennis again. I've been practicing but just hitting and serving without running about.

I've never been a big runner but might go for more runs just because it's going to feel great after so long.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started couch to 5k again recently. I'm on week 4 now. I'm getting horrible shin splints though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henners just wanted to replace "Weightlifting" with "Running" in the title.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a running thread though, different from the weightlifting one. I can't figure out where it went. If there's confusion with the thread titles, that can be sorted.

Anyway, @Reg, what constitutes a "great time" depends on the runner really. An elite athlete expects to be under 2 and a half hours. A good club runner would be looking for under 3 hours. 4 hours is often the target of a first timer, whereas the actual average of all runners is closer to 4 and a half. But it's an achievement for a lot of people just to finish.
    This was my third and having run 4.02 and 3.59 I was looking for well under 4.
    For the next one, I'll see where I am in my training a few weeks out from the race and decide what to aim for. It might end up being 3 hours 20 minutes.

Beyond that I imagine I'll be coming against some physical limits, barring some very large lifestyle changes which aren't really an option to anyone with a full time job and a family life.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, a full marathon? Most people I know who run it (and I know because I run around cheering on them drinking beer if I can) always ran their first over 5 hours.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of beer, there was a landlord from a pub handing out free pints to any runner who would take them at around the halfway point.
    Apparently he got rid of a few dozen, although most who took them just took a sip and then threw them away.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started running about two and a half months ago. I just started for the exercise really, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. The first time I went out it was a single mile and I felt terrible at the end, it was a real "I can't believe I'm this unfit moment". So about four weeks later when I ran 5k for the first time I genuinely felt like some kind of god.

I guess I'm working towards 10k at the minute. The Leads 10k is July I think, so maybe that. The route I'm running currently is about 7.5k, so I probably just need to sort myself out and just go for it, I'm sure I could.

Although, I say that, I haven't been out in over a week. I had been going pretty much every other day since I started and having some problems on and off with my right hip hurting, but nothing that stopped me. The last run I did was Wednesday last week though, and it was really fucked the day after that. I haven't been able to properly put my own weight on it. It's been feeling a lot better the last couple of days though so I can hopefully get back out either this weekend or early next week.

It's really frustrating because I don't want to go too soon and make it worse again, but at the same time I'm really paranoid my newfound fitness will just disappear! Henry, you might be a good man to ask (although obviously the distances I'm talking are shit compared to yours ), but do you think having say, 10 days off will set me back a lot?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every other day is probably a bit much if you weren't really running before. The rest will probably help you if anything.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Henry, you might be a good man to ask (although obviously the distances I'm talking are shit compared to yours ), but do you think having say, 10 days off will set me back a lot?
    Not a lot, and if you're injured then take whatever time you need. To echo what @five time says, you were probably pushing it a bit and not getting enough rest. When you go back again, do twice a week for the first couple of weeks to see how that goes, and increase to three and then four times gradually.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could do running more, not long distances really but 5-6k here or there would be nice. But either my body isn't built for it, or my technique is wrong. Probably both a bit, but anyway what happens is if I run more than once every week or even every two weeks I get pain in my knees, feet, hip or lower back. Where seems a bit random but always somewhere. I've tried changing my running style a bit but it just doesn't seem to work in the long run (heh), and besides, I'm not sure it will have helped anyway.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What can I do about the shin splints?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Take it easy.

Start slower and with shorter distances than your fitness allows. Think of conditioning your body for the task, not necesarily getting in shape just yet. Be very conservative when it comes to increasing pace and/or distance. I'd say three days a week (say, MWF) is good at the start. If the pain begins, don't go back out until it is gone, you'll only make it worse. So yes, mostly patience, it will get better eventually.

My GF started running late last year, October maybe. She also followed that couch to 5k thing. She had tried running before but same thing, shin splints. We took it super easy at the beginning (I go with her most of the time,) doing the whole walk/run one minute thing even though she obviously could do more than that. Now she runs 10k at least once a week and 5-8k the other days and doesn't get the shin splints anymore unless she increases distance/intensity too quickly.

Also, if you don't have proper fitting shoes then you could look into that. Go into a specialized running store where they can help you choose the right ones and let you try a few so you can determine which ones feel best.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of stretching of your calf muscles, and light ankle exercises. I wouldn't stop completely but don't push it too hard if they're really bad, and don't increase the intensity of what you're doing too quickly.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a bag of chips and a few cans. Sorted.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Boydy apart from Henners and Pepes advice, look into where you are running as well. Avoid harder surfaces. Big solid Concrete is a no-no (typically along waterfronts etc you get these massive blocks sometimes). Asphalt and sidewalks etc aren't good either. If you can run in the woods that's probably the best. It'll be a bit different, as you can't have a very monotone style with your running (but that's the point).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. Gravel paths are nice.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the book 'Pain Free' and do the stretches for calfs.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by five time View Post
    Every other day is probably a bit much if you weren't really running before. The rest will probably help you if anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Not a lot, and if you're injured then take whatever time you need. To echo what @five time says, you were probably pushing it a bit and not getting enough rest. When you go back again, do twice a week for the first couple of weeks to see how that goes, and increase to three and then four times gradually.
    Thanks for the advice gents.

I'll take it easy for a bit then.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went for my first run in 8 days today, but when I do run I tend to do it every day too. I'm a bit impatient so I just get out there. Might try alternating days with weights until I've got more free time in a few weeks, though.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I sometimes go too often as well. I also skipped week 1 of couch to 5k, only did two days instead of three of week 2 and the same for week 3. Impatience, like you say. Fucking feel it in my shins now though. Well, when I'm running. They're fine when I'm not.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had problems with that. Maybe it's because I sprint and walk as opposed to jogging.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 fly in my eye
    1 nearly up my nose
    2 in my mouth (1 spat out, 1 swallowed)

I don't think I'll be running on the bike paths anymore. Is anybody into insects on here? Is there a time of day where its light enough to run but there aren't shitloads of shit-covered insects hovering about?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one in my eye last week. Fucking horrible. It probably doesn't help that I run by the river but there aren't many other places around here.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running on the normal path was fine, but its nowhere near as interesting. Ducking and swerving through branches makes it feel like playing Mirror's Edge.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I sometimes go too often as well. I also skipped week 1 of couch to 5k, only did two days instead of three of week 2 and the same for week 3. Impatience, like you say. Fucking feel it in my shins now though. Well, when I'm running. They're fine when I'm not.
    Forget me joking in the other thread. Do you do any leg work in the gym or curl your toes up etc? Serious question.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glorious day for a run today, although the heat made running on an empty stomach a bit harder. Being able to lie in the sun for a bit at the half way mark and afterwards is just lovely.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to enjoy running more when it's dark, and preferably quite cold, for some reason. I did dip my toe back in after a full two weeks off today though, my hip seems to have sorted itself out after a long rest.

I'm going to take Henry's advise and ease back in. But I didn't feel like I'd lost much in the way of fitness, which was encouraging. It was just a bit harder than normal to get into a rhythm. My legs felt a lot better and stronger for the rest though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running in the dark is good fun, but running through woodlands is so much better than road running. I have actually gone for a run through the woods at night using the torch on my phone, but I prefer not to exercise too late.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the sound of a nice woodland run, I should probably investigate something like that round here. I imagine it's slightly more forgiving on the body than pounding the concrete all the time too.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    running through woodlands is so much better than road running.
    Definitely. That can actually be enjoyable. Running on the streets is incredibly boring.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, plus you get to play with dogs sometimes.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a 10k on Sunday. I haven't really concentrated on those before and since I still have my marathon fitness, I'm fairly confident of a good PB even though there are some hills. PB is 45.49 right now. I'm looking to go under 44 minutes.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the name of friendly competition, I'm going to try and beat your time.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50...e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

That's the route. I'll try and beat you within a month. I'll let you know how I do running that for the first time tomorrow.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the route. I'll try and beat you within a month. I'll let you know how I do running that for the first time tomorrow.

This should be good. What shape are you in currently, would you say? Running a 10k in 45 mins is impressive.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post

This should be good. What shape are you in currently, would you say? Running a 10k in 45 mins is impressive.

I'm well aware I'll look like a twat, but if I get anywhere near it it'll be impressive so fuck it. My usual path is about 7k-8k (hard to tell because the path weaves about a lot) and very hilly and I do that in about 50 minutes.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of this evening, 30:18 if my new best 5k time.

The idea of getting it under 30 minutes seemed completely unreasonable when I first ran that route a couple of months ago, I think I was slogging it out around the 38 minute mark. Almost there though!

Remove the hill from the equation and that would comfortably shave a couple of minutes off straight away I reckon, at least. But it doesn't work that way unfortunately. I seemed to be stuck indefinitely between 31 and 32 minutes before I had that couple of weeks off with the bad leg, so I was well happy when I finished tonight and I clocked that. Fuck knows how people get down into the low 20's and stuff though. Very impressive.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a competitive point of view, is it better to take hills slowly or get them out the way?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    As of this evening, 30:18 if my new best 5k time.

The idea of getting it under 30 minutes seemed completely unreasonable when I first ran that route a couple of months ago, I think I was slogging it out around the 38 minute mark. Almost there though!

Remove the hill from the equation and that would comfortably shave a couple of minutes off straight away I reckon, at least. But it doesn't work that way unfortunately. I seemed to be stuck indefinitely between 31 and 32 minutes before I had that couple of weeks off with the bad leg, so I was well happy when I finished tonight and I clocked that. Fuck knows how people get down into the low 20's and stuff though. Very impressive.
    Nice one. Keep going and you'll be surprised how much you can bring your time in. I was similar when I started (and am probably around that now) but after a few months of consistency it'll start shrinking.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hit 22:11 on parkrun on Saturday in a 5k. Beat my previous time by 20 seconds which is pretty mega. I ran 60 minutes on the treadmill yesterday to start building up my longer run ability and did 9.4k. my ten know is in July so it would be great if I could get a 44 minute ten k.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go Alex. You'll have that down by another couple of minutes in no time at all.

I'm currently waiting on results from my MRI scan after doing in my knee. Probably ACL. So now I'm going to live vicariously through Offy's 10k attempts.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a competitive point of view, is it better to take hills slowly or get them out the way?
    Run them faster to get a lower time. You're welcome.

I ran the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park 5k on Sunday, with a time of 26:55. That was good enough for 45th among the men. Thought I could do it in 25 flat, but turns out if you don't train, you can't beat your PB.

The winner ran it in 16:30, which is just unfathomable really. Everyone got a medal, so jokes on him really.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From this weekend
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/sub17/

So fucking fast.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call, a bit of competition can't hurt. EDIT: Although might be a bit ambitious given what you've said subsequently.

As for parkrun, I think I've done one of those in 21.07 or something of that type. I'd love to get under 20 minutes eventually.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    I'm currently waiting on results from my MRI scan after doing in my knee. Probably ACL. So now I'm going to live vicariously through Offy's 10k attempts.
    We can do this!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Good call, a bit of competition can't hurt. EDIT: Although might be a bit ambitious given what you've said subsequently.
    Aye, I'm only eating around 1,000 calories a day and I've never run 10k before. Not that I'm making excuses. Its going to happen.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm half-heartedly training for a half marathon. Ran 10k in 50 minutes yesterday but (i) the tendinitis in my achilles continues to rear its ugly head; (ii) it gets quite boring. Hopefully a few new albums on the phone will sort out (ii) and actually continuing to run regularly will alleviate (i).

Did 4.5k in 20 mins the other day so my speed is fine but my difficulty is with my endurance. Suppose it's just a case of improving with time. But 13 miles seems a far cry at the moment.