User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 55 of 261 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 13025

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your point?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The systems broken. Badly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't mean that people on social housing should get to pick where they want to live regardless of cost and expect the state to pick up the bill.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you never fall on hard times gs.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    That doesn't mean that people on social housing should get to pick where they want to live regardless of cost and expect the state to pick up the bill.
    No the private sector that they're employed by should be paying them enough to live in an area they can get to work from. The Governments not subsidizing the housing benefactor, it's subsidizing low wages by the private sector.

Can't be the private sectors fault though. Nothing ever is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I hope you never fall on hard times gs.
    Quite, it's easy to be okay with a broken system you've never been a part of.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Housing costs being a joke in certain places are largely (entirely) the result of successive governments [deliberately] fucking the system up, so they are mainly subsidising their own errors.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Housing costs being a joke in certain places are largely (entirely) the result of successive governments [deliberately] fucking the system up, so they are mainly subsidising their own errors.
    True.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the private sector that pays for public services. Which seems to be lost on people sometimes.

One assumes you're in favour of higher corporation tax and a higher minimum wage. Both would significantly squeeze free cash flow and restrict not only job creation but wage increases for full time employees. You'd end up making it worse, particularly when cost push inflation comes into play and you have less buying power. The economy is basically at full employment too, so it's not as if these companies are hoarding cash - they've invested.

That said, the company will pay to the market. Unless you propose driving wages up constantly through legislation, but that will get you nowhere because utimately a 25 year old probably doesn't need to be paid fifteen quid an hour to serve coffee.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the private sector that pays for public services. Which seems to be lost on people sometimes.

One assumes you're in favour of higher corporation tax and a higher minimum wage. Both would significantly squeeze free cash flow and restrict not only job creation but wage increases for full time employees. You'd end up making it worse, particularly when cost push inflation comes into play and you have less buying power. The economy is basically at full employment too, so it's not as if these companies are hoarding cash - they've invested.

That said, the company will pay to the market. Unless you propose driving wages up constantly through legislation, but that will get you nowhere because utimately a 25 year old probably doesn't need to be paid fifteen quid an hour to serve coffee.
    Stopped reading after 'these companies aren't t hoarding cash'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Stopped reading after 'these companies aren't t hoarding cash'.
    Unemployment is below 5% and is considered to effectively be full employment.

Try and actually think about it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much of the full employment are in zero hours or pay substandard wages? People being employed doesn't equal improvement of living standards.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unemployment is below 5% and is considered to effectively be full employment.

How do those two things relate?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS
    One assumes you're in favour of higher corporation tax and a higher minimum wage. Both would significantly squeeze free cash flow and restrict not only job creation but wage increases for full time employees.
    Clearly not true in all circumstances, so you're just proclaiming your ideology as fact again.
    The real economy is much more complex than the simplistic models proposed by voodoo economists.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    How much of the full employment are in zero hours or pay substandard wages? People being employed doesn't equal improvement of living standards.
    2.8% of all people in employment as per the ONS.

On wages, it pays to the market.

How do those two things relate?

Because businesses creating three million jobs means three million salaries being paid out to workers and three million whacks of employer NIC making their way to the exchequer.

If they were hoarding, they wouldn't invest in staff and job creation.

You have a risible lack of understanding sometimes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Clearly not true in all circumstances, so you're just proclaiming your ideology as fact again.
    The real economy is much more complex than the simplistic models proposed by voodoo economists.
    Clearly true in most circumstances, given free cash flows are a key determinant of investment decisions - whether for external acquisitions or internal investment decisions requiring board approval. External factors which can't be controlled heighten risk, and reduce the flexibility the business feels it has for staff investment or retention.

This is a part of my actual job, so you can probably spare us the contrary argument given it will be wrong.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if those three million jobs are paying stagnant wages despite productivity increasing, they'd be hoarding, no?

PS. Stop being such a pompous condescending wank.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Productivity has been pretty flat here for years.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Productivity has been pretty flat here for years.
    And wages are down against inflation so what's your point?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if those three million jobs are paying stagnant wages despite productivity increasing, they'd be hoarding, no?
    First, it's variable depending on company size, number of staff, company performance, sector performance.

Second, it's sometimes a choice between staff retention, promotions, pay increases etc. There's a finite pot of money.

Finally third, certain jobs won't see pay increases because the role itself is not sufficiently skilled to warrant it. That's the blunt truth. If I own a coffee shop, is it really worth Ł7.20 an hour, soon to be a tenner, for a staff member (actually higher assuming the employee earns over 8K)?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consdering a cup of coffee costs about 15p (if you include the packaging, 8p if you don't) to make and you can then sell it for 2.50 or more. Yeah.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And wages are down against inflation so what's your point?
    Is that very recently? Because otherwise it stopped being the case about three years ago, when it was somewhat understandable.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it's gone over already how 0% contracts are often used to fiddle the statistics of these things.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that very recently? Because otherwise it stopped being the case about three years ago, when it was somewhat understandable.
    Since Feb:

Inflation remains higher than the average wage growth of 2.1% year on year in the three months to March. Wage figures due on Wednesday were expected to show the gap between underlying pay growth and the inflation increase widened further in April.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're an accountant, not an economist. You need to stop pretending that they're the same thing. It's Error #1 that people who don't know anything about economics make.

Looking only at a single company, which you are, and considering only their incomings and outgoings, as you are, increased taxes means less money to spend on things like wages.

The difference in an economy, where you consider all companies and individuals at once, is that the taxes collected get recycled back into the economy as spending, producing more activity and more demand in a feedback loop, meaning that any given company (or maybe some and not others) can obtain more revenue, potentially more than what they lost out on in the first place.

The economy is a complex, dynamic system with millions of agents performing trillions of transactions. It isn't possible to reduce relationships between any of its variables to a single line graph of the form "taxes up, wages down".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consdering a cup of coffee takes about 15p (if you include the packaging, 8p if you don't) to make and you can then sell it for 2.50 or more. Yeah.
    Yes, only if you overlook all overheads including rent, utilities, insurance, accounting fees, marketing; municipal taxes, national taxes like corporation tax, employer NIC and VAT; the initial investment costs, ongoing capital expenditure simply to stand still, any interest payments to banks for loan financing, any drawings to an equity partner who fronted the cash and expects a return etc etc etc

So yes, if you ignore literally every other cost bar the direct cost of sale associated with making one cup of coffee you'd have a point. Since nobody would do that, you don't.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair phonics, that was a pretty fucking stupid example.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They aren't investing in job creation out of charity for fuck's sake, they do it when they think they can make more money by expanding.

The fact people are in work does not mean companies aren't making huge profits whilst paying shit wages. At all.

Edit: the folly of not refreshing.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    910k people on zero hours as of early 2016:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...uk-record-high

This means anyone doing more than one (one fucking hour per week) is classed as employed. No stability, no ability to plan, no security. The job centre, help into work schemes and such are actively forcing people into this. I was told to go self employed as an IT worker as I use computers a lot. No experience in the sector whatsoever (I've since got the requisite qualifications but whoop-de-doo) competing against thousands of others within the same sector with experience out their arse, for the sake of hopefully grabbing a four hour shift each fortnight.

You work, you no doubt do well GS, pumping numbers into a database into Excel or whatever system your employers use. God forbid a severe illness strikes you down one day, you claim, and you're told you're fit for work because you're 'copacetic'. And yes, I know you agree PIP shouldn't be cut, bravo. PIP that some are forcibly being taken off whilst they're dying in hospital beds.

Be a politician, you're cut from the same tedious cloth. Zero emotion, zero empathy. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all.

I'm all for opposing views, challenge people, wake them up, but its the equivalent of the pub bore who just hammers home the same fucking shit until you're forced to concede. Determination, I'll give you that.

This may come across as rambling fucking bullshit but I'm not arsed mate. I deal with wankers like this often. I work, I contribute, the fuck you do, the fuck you offer. Zero, baseline zero human empathy outside their own little bubble.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Feb:
    The currency tanked mate. And it's four months. It's not particularly illustrative of whatever you think it illustrates.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see it is time for the neoliberal economics 101 lecture again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    They aren't investing in job creation out of charity for fuck's sake, they do it when they think they can make more money by expanding.

The fact people are in work does not mean companies aren't making huge profits whilst paying shit wages. At all.

Edit: the folly of not refreshing.
    Yes, it's why capitalism works. If you don't like company you work for, your redress is to go and work for someone else.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you imagine a world without lawyers accountants?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a part of my actual job, so you can probably spare us the contrary argument given it will be wrong.
    Stand down guys, the Mighty One has spoken.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if GS had been in this thread lately. I was wondering if he'd been sacked.

Shame.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, to lighten the mood, here is a bloke crying(!) on Ed Miliband's radio programme(!!) because his mother voted leave(!!!).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happened to hear that yesterday. There were a few strange things about it, but one was that he hadn't proofread his letter before reading it out on a radio station with millions of listeners.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the Tories are apparently unable to do a deal with the DUP and will proceed as a minority government.

On the one hand, it appears to be because of some reluctance about the DUP bigotry and backwardness, so credit there.

On the other hand, LOL.
    When's the next election? This could be voted down, couldn't it?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think so, unless there are enough Tories willing to put Corbyn in power.

318 Tories is nearly a majority when you take out the shinners (322 needed) and I can't imagine the ulstermen are going to be voting it down, so even if they abstain, a Tory minority government is actually a working majority of about 5.

It'll be hard to get much legislation through though, so I imagine we'll be going again in the autumn, at which point Corbyn wins a 500 majority and I flee the country.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    317 actually.

Coalition of Chaos numbers 315 at an absolute maximum, so it ain't happening unless unionists or Tories vote with Corbyn.

The electorate really have outdone themselves in terms of utter chaos this time around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FTPA is still in place. The power to collapse the government rests entirely with the DUP, given it would have to be a vote of no confidence.

I can't envisage them ever bringing the government down. Not only because their ten seats is a solid haul and they know they have leverage now that they might never again, but also on the principle that noted IRA sympathiser and supporter Jeremy Corbyn can't be PM.

I'm far from convinced that significant chunks of their electorate would forgive them putting Corbyn anywhere near office.

Based on what I read earlier in the week, the "confidence" aspect is sorted. The issues are over supply. The DUP won't bring them down, but they can make things very difficult on non-confidence/non-financial votes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also Lady Hermon, who usually votes Labour but is unlikely to do anything that puts an IRA sympathiser nearer to being in charge given they spent several years trying to assassinate her husband.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to ask about Lady Hermon, is she going to abstain or what?

You could easily have all 18 of the buggers abstaining/not taking their seats, which just about sums up the relationship between GB and NI currently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's on record a week before the election saying she "could never back Labour if Corbyn was leader", which is pretty unequivocal.

She may abstain given she doesn't like the Tories.

As it is, I simply don't see the 11 unionists doing anything that, in any way, helps Corbyn and McDonnell. There's a vehement and justifiable dislike there. It's one of the reasons why I reckon parliament will go longer than people think. Short of a series of by-election defeats or Tory defectors who would never be forgiven, you can't realistically get to an anti Tory majority in a confidence vote.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The IRA are probably Labour's best chance at this point, if they blow up a few Tories and cause by-elections.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this to suggest then that every other accountant would agree with you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the example specifically discussed therein?

Yes, they would. Because it's quite basic.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had known that a weak Conservative government would only have time to leave the European Union I would have canvassed for the Liberal Democrats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know how many of those complaining that it's going to take up a lot of time were using the argument that it would be too much effort to leave last year.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Yes. Housing should be a right of every citizen, not an 'asset.'

As for 'artificially,' lol.
    Oh sigh. I'm more lefty than you on this issue but marinate in your righteousness. I don't understand the point of a right to housing that you don't own. Intergenerational poverty becomes a reinforced circle when people can't generate wealth to pass on.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?