User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 3 of 260 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought a great monster raving loony equivalent would be someone fielding a bunch of candidates as 'The Nazi Party' complete with uniforms, swastika armbands, toothbrush moustaches and comical German noms de plume - and manifesto items like 'We will gas all the juice'. Doubt Twitter would approve of the joke though so it's probably not a goer.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were it not for the 2008 CHANGE train, the 'Hillary' cult would have been the most sinister thing in recent history.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Were it not for the 2008 CHANGE train, the 'Hillary' cult would have been the most sinister thing in recent history.
    I loved this shit:

They don't even realise which is the best bit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is everything in the world Tony Blairs fault if the leader of the party doesn't matter?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's weird how you're all pretending the 'unelected prime minister' thing was only ever levelled at May.

It was fucking massive when Brown was in. I've hardly seen it mentioned with regards to May except for your strawmen on here.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good, but this will never be topped. David Cameron shitting himself in Steve Hilton's allotment just can't compete.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To this day I still devote at least an hour a week to lolling at that Labour one of people in Chiswick having their kids confiscated and hospital torched.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ, that hasn't aged well. Obama the President took himself far less seriously than that as well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such innocent times when the main election issues were MP expenses and the bankers the bonuses the bankers the bonuses. RIP ginner.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Jezza should re-create this, but with a Morning Star, and a Trabant, and so on.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken Loach selling balloons instead of Paterson Joseph, Diane Abbott at the flower stall.

I really am looking forward to the Jezmania aspect of this campaign, it'll be class. The man is a living legend.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we have 'Things Can Only Get Jezza' as the thread sub-title?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I loved this shit:

They don't even realise which is the best bit.
    Your damn emails.

He lost the primary in that moment (which Trump called immediately, funnily enough).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As another Five Live breakfast politics thing turns into another North - South debate (which the beeb can't be fucked with for time constraints), I've realised we're always going to get fucked over. "I've made more funding for X" quickly becomes, "There's not much need for X in the North." Makes me realise most political policies have the all the precision of a hammer operated by a child.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the one thing that infuriates me about all governments. 'We've made an extra £xbn available'

Well how do we know that's enough and it's being spent properly you cockwombles?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The 'unelected PM' thing is horseshit. No PM has been 'elected' in the history of the British Isles nor will one ever be.

It's just a convenient thing to beat your political opponent with without having to actually use reasoned argument.

In a general election I think you're voting for the party really, unless you have a particularly strong view on your local candidates (if there was a great local MP for Labour/LDs I'd consider voting for them, even though I'm generally a Tory supporter).

Voting some way because you love Corbyn, David Cameron or Paddy Ashdown would be a bit weird.
    Surely you're voting for the party as led by Cameron/May/Corbyn/whoever.

The leader has a lot of influence on the direction of the party. The Conservatives under May are different from the Conservatives under Cameron. It's easy to see why people want to have a say on whether they like the new direction the government is taking when the leader changes.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We vote in representatives to the Parliament and then it's up to them to sort themselves out. The makeup and priorities of the government / opposition are inevitably going to change within a 5 year period and sometimes that includes the leader.

It's more the media circus and desperation to be like America with a presidential system (because personalities sell papers) that drives the stuff about party leadership, rather than anything constitutional.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just voted in my local council election.

1. Lib Dem
    2. Labour
    3. Tory

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a mong

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife just voted as well, and because I'm learning Portuguese right now (fuk u Enty) I just went through and asked her if she knew what the first/second/third person is and she replied:

Oh I can't remember, didn't I put Labour/Lib Dem/that guy from round the corner?

LOL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeldoow View Post
    Surely you're voting for the party as led by Cameron/May/Corbyn/whoever.

The leader has a lot of influence on the direction of the party. The Conservatives under May are different from the Conservatives under Cameron. It's easy to see why people want to have a say on whether they like the new direction the government is taking when the leader changes.
    They may want to, but they have no intrinsic right to. Ultimately the governing party is effectively bound by their manifesto.

The Salisbury Convention dictates that the Lords won't block anything that was included in the manifesto, but if it wasn't then they are free to do so. It's why May wouldn't get grammar schools through in this parliament without a fresh mandate.

Hammond wanted to increase NIC, and couldn't because of the outcry over a manifesto breach. Changing PM doesn't change any of this, so it's not a relevant trigger for a new election. People voted for a party, and their programme for government. The leader is irrelevant.

On a side note, the Liberal "Democrats" are on record as saying they won't abide by the Salisbury Convention any more. Effectively they're using their Lords in lieu of being roasted in the general election. When you consider that in the context of their clear policy breach on tuition fees, and their Brexit stance, they're probably the most anti democratic party in the UK.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    They may want to, but they have no intrinsic right to. Ultimately the governing party is effectively bound by their manifesto.

The Salisbury Convention dictates that the Lords won't block anything that was included in the manifesto, but if it wasn't then they are free to do so. It's why May wouldn't get grammar schools through in this parliament without a fresh mandate.

Hammond wanted to increase NIC, and couldn't because of the outcry over a manifesto breach. Changing PM doesn't change any of this, so it's not a relevant trigger for a new election. People voted for a party, and their programme for government. The leader is irrelevant.

On a side note, the Liberal "Democrats" are on record as saying they won't abide by the Salisbury Convention any more. Effectively they're using their Lords in lieu of being roasted in the general election. When you consider that in the context of their clear policy breach on tuition fees, and their Brexit stance, they're probably the most anti democratic party in the UK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look forward to our one party state.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS
    Ultimately the governing party is effectively bound by their manifesto.
    No they aren't. They violate their manifesto promises all over the place.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but the people elected them KNOWING they would break their manifesto promises, so can you stop protesting about it please?

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first time ever I'm considering taking the Friday off work and pulling an all-nighter.

I remember reading stuff like that on here before and thinking how unbelievably sad you'd have to be.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you do that for the most boring election of all time?

P.S. Carswell is going to step down. BOTTLING the showdown with Arron Banks.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor old Arron Banks has been rather blindsided by all this I think. The wanker. No time to get his personality cult properly off the ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    No they aren't. They violate their manifesto promises all over the place.
    Yes, they are. Certainly in the context that we're discussing. Some promises obviously become redundant.

You do get the odd material exception (Lib Dems on tuition, or Labour refusing to have a vote on the Lisbon Treaty) but they get their comeuppance when they go back before the public.

It's not a perfect system, but it's as good as you're going to get.

We could, of course, have stayed in the EU where there are no manifestos and no mechanisms for booting out the wankers. But there you are.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I might chuck Jezza a sympathy vote. The Conservatives always win round here anyway. Bless him and his little 'anti-Establishment' pitch. UKIP have already pocketed that card, Jez.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The list of manifesto promises broken is endless. There is no mechanism to bind anyone to them. You're talking shit.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    The list of manifesto promises broken is endless. There is no mechanism to bind anyone to them. You're talking shit.
    Your failure to understand the constitutional settlement in the UK remains a source of constant fascination.

Perhaps you've been spending too much time looking at Twitter trends.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy has helpfully catalogued 21 manifesto promises that have been broken by the Tories since 2015. You could come up with similar lists for other governments. It's quite clear that these are regarded less as things they intend to do but as a vague wish-list that may or may not change depending on what suits.

Clearly any constitutional measure intended to hold them to their promises is defective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's helpfully catalogued a list, but more unhelpfully has catalogued a list that includes fundamental errors.

Not that I have time to go through the whole thing, because why would you, but even a cursory look demonstrates this. Obvious examples include the single market (superseded by the referendum), grammar schools (which haven't gone ahead and would be blocked by the Lords).

I'm sure there are many other discrepancies in his list, but it clearly cannot be considered credible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The promise about the single market is that they would stay in regardless of the referendum. You, Tory boy, are the one who isn't credible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It says "yes to the single market... Yes to a family of nation states all part of the European Union". The discussion is in the context of European Union membership, but then it says, later on the same page no less, "we will hold that in-out referendum before the end of 2017 and respect the outcome".

This is consistent with what they did. Cameron renegotiated, they held a referendum, the government's official position was to stay in, but they lost and are now implementing the result.

If you want to fabricate your own view, that's fine, just spare the rest of us your fiction.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manifestos should be binned as well. We should be electing representatives to make the right choices on the issues of the day, whatever those issues may be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manifestos are fine - you need to have some sort of programme to put to the country, and we'd end up having the American shite of the opposition packaging together interview clips to try and claim they've lied.

Basically what Henry is doing now, only on YouTube.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The referendum was not about the single market, and it's quite clear that it's still possible to stay in - except that the Tories are prioritizing other things and making that impossible. Having made clear that you have no problem with politicians lying reflexively, one wonder why you're bothering to pretend that they haven't in this instance. Probably just the partisan blinkers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The referendum was about everything the single market and customs union entails. Leaving the EU means leaving its institutions. This isn't hard.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's quite a lot of debate and discussion about what leaving the EU entails. You don't get to declare it from on high.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd have to wait another 3 years for this.

EDIT: GS and Henn0rz, that is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    It's why I don't get this "unelected leader" thing. The people didn't elect David Cameron to be leader either, they just happened to vote for his party.

Actually that's being fairly obtuse, but I'm curious (because it's so different here) - when you guys vote, are you voting more for the party, the leader of that party, or the local representative?
    Technically it's your local representative, but in reality most people base their vote on the leader of the party.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was too young to really appreciate The Troubles, is this pretty much what it was like?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I was too young to really appreciate The Troubles, is this pretty much what it was like?
    Don't be so fucking stupid.

This is way worse.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I do feel like I have shrapnel in my eyes.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather be bombed shopping with my family rather than read Henry and GS having banter.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flanter