User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 232 of 261 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,600 of 13025

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Way too many "I'm alright Jacks" in this country.
    I think it's more bizarre than that. It's "well we're all struggling, but we're not all refusing to go to work, so get on with it!"

But they haven't stopped to think that the people in question are earning half of what they are whilst also doing a job twice as important. It's mental to me. Nurses should not be earning so poorly that they need food banks for fuck sake. And a 17% wage rise is a perfectly fair expectation when your wage has been stagnant for 10 years. It's actually pretty generous, because they're still nowhere near inflation over the last 10 years.

Everything is a complete mess. The next General Election can't come around fast enough.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. My wife is a Junior Sister on a surgical ward and there's no way she should be earning considerably less than me.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Social importance very different from economic importance, and therein lies the issue. The economy doesn't care if you live or die as long as there's someone else to replace your GDP contribution.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, and that's why Capitalism is fundamentally broken. That's not to say that Communism is the answer, obviously. That's just as broken.

The Scandinavians probably have it about right, but people would never vote for it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Ian Hislop noted, usually the union comes out with a very high pay demand and the government negotiates it down. But this neo liberal incarnation of the conservative party are appalled by the notion of strikes and want to ban them, when they could have negotiated and settled it already.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Agreed, and that's why Capitalism is fundamentally broken. That's not to say that Communism is the answer, obviously. That's just as broken.

The Scandinavians probably have it about right, but people would never vote for it.
    It's not just about capitalism itself but also about the fact that economically successful people are in control of social institutions (don't @ me, Marxists). We just lived through a period in which you were allowed to go and work on a building site but you weren't allowed to see your extended family. Mind you, it was mainly the marxist end of things cheering for that so lord knows.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's interesting listening in my office, literally everyone is dead against all the striking sectors. No sympathy whatsoever for any of them and think their demands are unrealistic/naive and the country can't afford them. I thought there would be a lot more support. Not sure what the polling says.
    Isn't your office full of salesmen?

And boomer salesmen at that.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's more bizarre than that. It's "well we're all struggling, but we're not all refusing to go to work, so get on with it!"

But they haven't stopped to think that the people in question are earning half of what they are whilst also doing a job twice as important. It's mental to me. Nurses should not be earning so poorly that they need food banks for fuck sake. And a 17% wage rise is a perfectly fair expectation when your wage has been stagnant for 10 years. It's actually pretty generous, because they're still nowhere near inflation over the last 10 years.

Everything is a complete mess. The next General Election can't come around fast enough.
    I wouldn't expect the current iteration of the labour party to change much.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, just seen in the news that Starmer is promising "a decade of national renewal".

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Isn't your office full of salesmen?

And boomer salesmen at that.
    I mean, someone's got to sell things.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salesmen aren't likely to be fans of trade unions though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd never really thought of salesmen as right wing, but I suppose you're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQsMFQZa8os (H/T Lofty)

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'd never really thought of salesmen as right wing, but I suppose you're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQsMFQZa8os (H/T Lofty)
    hahah I saw this linked on another forum the other day, do you lurk elsewhere Mr Floyd, or was this just part of your mandatory training

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, as mentioned Lofty (I'm pretty sure) linked it on here some time ago.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need some radical solutions to this shit show really, which are never going to happen, but if they were I'd be looking at legalising cannabis to swell the coffers a tad and confetti visas for commonwealth nationals to get a work force going again.

Making all forms of strikes illegal is a terrible idea.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, you had the choice in 2019. It was mild social democracy or barbarism and the UK (heavily influenced by it putrid media) chose barbarism.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is full-strength social democracy the one where people start getting rounded up and disappeared?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I think that's when the markets are fully free like under Thatcher's mate Pinochet.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to Bolivia soon so I'll report back on el paraiso.

We don't need anything radical, we just need the boomers to go away.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mortgages doubling, food price inflation in double figures, energy prices capped and requiring government subsidising, staganant wages, failing hospitals, strikes all over the place, Petrol companies lolling at everyone whilst boasting about profits, mega-corporations avoiding tax... etc, etc.

We do need something radical. Our system is broken. The gap between rich and poor continues to grow and is only speeding up.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 05-01-2023 at 11:29 AM.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be fine once we stop the little boats. Oink.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A list of domestic policies that would make a significant dent in that list:

1) Major planning reform (i.e. the boomers go away)
    2) Large hike in general taxation

And yet both parties seem staunchly opposed to both things. Is that because of Logan Roy infecting people's brains from his evil lair, or is it because both things would adversely affect the financial position of the entire political and media class and their friends?

I'm not even sure mega-corbz was proposing these. Perhaps he was on planning, I can't remember. His tax proposals were all about the rich which, even if effective, would raise fuck all in comparison to a large general hike.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Will be fine once we stop the little boats. Oink.
    That part of his speech caught me completely off guard. Do people really think that has anything to do with everything that's going on? More reason to kill off the Boomers ASAP I guess.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doctors are going to be striking too.

The media seem to be keeping it relatively quiet so far, but hospitals/the NHS have fully reached "collapsed" this winter. 80 hour waits to be seen in A and Es, 100+ patients in units designed for 30, ambulances adopting policies of just dumping people and leaving if they have to wait more than 15 minutes to offload because they desperately need to get back out to patients. People are literally dying in A and Es because they are so overwhelmed.

We are protected from the brunt of it in paeds, but you see it when it comes to the ambulance service responses. We had a baby the other day brought in by a GP in their car with them on oxygen from a cylinder because the ambulance was going to be 6 hours. 6 hours to get to a baby with severe respiratory distress and sats in their boots. They ended up needing the top end of respiratory support which can be provided outside of a PICU within 30 minutes of arrival and were on the verge of needing CPR. Quite possibly would have died before the ambulance arrived.

Had another child who needed urgent transfer to a neurosurgical centre because they had a bleed in their brain. Minimum 6 hours. If they'd bled again before the ambulance came there would have been almost literally nothing we could do for them.

Kid who'd had a seizure and after coming round had persistent one-sided weakness. Easily could've been a neurosurgical emergency. Parent told to drive them in as it would be quicker than an ambulance.

Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 05-01-2023 at 11:41 AM.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That part of his speech caught me completely off guard. Do people really think that has anything to do with everything that's going on? More reason to kill off the Boomers ASAP I guess.
    100% they do. Leeches and if they were gone there would be loads of everything for everyone.

As a country we're finished. Independence please.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The little boats stuff is straight racism. We need every fucker we can get, especially people hard enough to run the illegal immigration gauntlet. I've just sat around at Christmas listening to my aunt complaining about the lack of white doctors in Birmingham, and upon a mild challenge the response is that she can't understand what Asian doctors are saying so it's a poor service being provided. Boomers just can't cope with brown skin.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blaming it all on boomers seems to be massively over-simplifying the problem. Presumably a fuck ton of them voted Blair in and some morally decent reforms on the back of that, so I'm not sure why they're being singled out for all of the World's ills.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And major planning reforms are a piece of piss to do, but nobody actually wants to as the housing market would collapse and millions upon millions of people (not just boomers) will be absolutely fucked.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to explain how the "little boat" people and the "Asylum Seekers taking our benefits and bedsits" are not the same people a while back. She honestly thought they just stepped off the dinghy and got handed the keys to a flat and a Universal Credit claim.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Blaming it all on boomers seems to be massively over-simplifying the problem. Presumably a fuck ton of them voted Blair in and some morally decent reforms on the back of that, so I'm not sure why they're being singled out for all of the World's ills.
    Because they have all the money and, collectively, a bad attitude.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's them and their children. Basically England. Hence independence from normal Island.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't find the tweet for the life of me now, but they are the problem. 90% of it. They are sitting on jobs, property and money in a way that their predecessors did not. See Jimmy's bosses for examples. They are supposed to get old and retire.

This shows some of what I mean, though the other tweet I saw was much better and shows how the transfer of wealth from old to young has pretty much stopped entirely:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >$15tn in pension entitlements.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like money became Pokemon cards for Boomers and they completed the set.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why am I looking at a graph about 'murica?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I can't find the one about Britain. It was predictably similar though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just driven past A and E on the way into work and there's 20+ ambulances waiting to offload. At midday on a Thursday.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to explain how the "little boat" people and the "Asylum Seekers taking our benefits and bedsits" are not the same people a while back. She honestly thought they just stepped off the dinghy and got handed the keys to a flat and a Universal Credit claim.
    They get put up in hotels and whatever else is available at the cost of billions a year (and that is only the direct hospitality bills), and they all come from countries that, statistically speaking, make them overwhelmingly likely to be massive drains on the country once they inevitably aren't deported. To say the Treasury won't allow childcare reform over a billion here and there, they seem awfully complacent about those costs.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Just driven past A and E on the way into work and there's 20+ ambulances waiting to offload. At midday on a Thursday.
    I’m on A&E rotation this month and it looks shit. All the juniors off sick so they had me, two other fourth years and fifth year doing clerking. What is the actual attraction of emergency medicine. It’s a constant wave of shit in massively ill-prepared environments.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's to do with helping people in need. Obvs not that important when you can leave that work to Zimbabwean nurses and do TikTok dance vids instead. Scum.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend who's a nurse used to work in A&E. He was it was more interesting than the alternatives, and the time flew by.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    My friend who's a nurse used to work in A&E. He was it was more interesting than the alternatives, and the time flew by.
    "He"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a male friend that's a care worker and one of my other mates lols at him and say that's a birds job too.

I haven't asked him, but I reckon he'd feel similarly about a husband gently washing a kickboxers spaff out of his wife's finest French Knickers tbf.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the actual deifinitions for Boomer, X, etc?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if they've called the current lot "generation Alpha"

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)