User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 213 of 261 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,650 of 13025

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is Truss going on local radio morning shows? Who thought that was a good idea?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same people who thought the mini-Budget was a good idea, presumably.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'm not sure what's wrong with this. She's a bit awkward, which we knew, but if the policies for 'local consent' are still being written what is she meant to say? It's very easy for the local MP and council to be against something that wasn't realistically happening. If an energy company waves a fat cheque in front of the locals things might change.
    Fracking was already geared up at the Preston New Road site and then stopped as per government instruction, having previously overridden Lancashire CC opposition. If Liz wanted to they could probably start fracking there again by tea time. Not quite something that 'isn't realistically happening'. It's not the densest area of housing but I'm sure everyone in their nice semi rural houses will be thrilled to get a cheque making up for their cratered house price and flammable, undrinkable tap water.

The local radio thing is apparently an annual tradition prior to the party conference.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    People don't vote tory because policies, they vote because they want to feel part of the club.
    I think I made the classic mistake of thinking everyone votes in the same way I do - by looking at the policies and seeing ones I prefer.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kwarteng strikes me as a dude who screams "fiscal responsibility" as he climaxes. Safe hands, sturdy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just done a YouGov survey (I know, I'm a boring cunt) and 71% of respondents say they would trust Labour more than the Conservatives with the economy (11% Tory, rest dunno/neither/other). I know it's just a survey and blah blah blah, but I did find it interesting because that particular question has never had a good pro-Labour response in all the years I've contributed, up until today.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That and do you trust the leader are normally the two that predict election results, so I'd say my blue boys are pan tostado.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the Sun and Express have turned, you know it's bad. But they'll no doubt be back on board when the GE is called so whatever.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Fracking was already geared up at the Preston New Road site and then stopped as per government instruction, having previously overridden Lancashire CC opposition. If Liz wanted to they could probably start fracking there again by tea time. Not quite something that 'isn't realistically happening'. It's not the densest area of housing but I'm sure everyone in their nice semi rural houses will be thrilled to get a cheque making up for their cratered house price and flammable, undrinkable tap water.

The local radio thing is apparently an annual tradition prior to the party conference.
    It barely got going having been built under a cloud, but in that case fuck them. It's a strategic national resource. We can't have wealthy pensioners and teachers scuppering it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes poisoning the water supply for a questionable gas return (not my words Lynn, the words of Cuadrilla CEO) sounds like a good idea. Especially after the extreme weather events seen this summer where the shit hole south wept about it's water supply. Will we all get a tax rebate on bottled drinking water? Probably offset any profit from fracking in the first place.

Let's be honest if there wasn't brown envelopes to trouser they wouldn't even entertain fracking.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earthquakes in Preston

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the end game here though? Do they get rid of her? Or does the pressure get so much that she has to call a general election that she is going to get walloped in anyway? As I have said all along I knew she was incompetent but even I didn't think she would be this useless this quickly.

In terms of the tax cut personally I think I get the logic. You cut the higher rate tax band and coupled with the corporation tax you hope that you get an influx of employers moving here from elsewhere paying high salaries. The increase in the tax revenue then covers what you have lost initially and you also get the growth that you have been looking for. It's not the straightforward giving millionaires an extra Ł40,000 that is painted in the press. What you don't do though is announce it completely un-costed whilst shelling out a whole load of money elsewhere this could have been announced in a proper budget and although The Guardian doesn't like it I don't think it would have received the backlash it has received from elsewhere.

Now though she's toast already due to the way she has handled the last week.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and the highlight of the interviews was when Radio Norfolk asked if King's Lynn(which is the closest hospital to a fair part of her constituency) would get a new hospital and she replied that she hoped so. Fucking hell. The presenter actually had to point out that it was within her gift as prime minister to ensure that this would happen.
    Last edited by Luke Emia; 29-09-2022 at 05:09 PM.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On his visit to Darlington Kwasi Kwarteng heightened speculation that benefits won’t be uprated in line with inflation. Asked if he would honour the commitment of the previous government, he said:

"We are talking about helping people in the round. It is premature for me to come to a decision on that. But we are absolutely focused on making sure that the most vulnerable in our society are protected through what could be a challenging time."

The next question was about whether Kwarteng was committed to maintaining the triple lock, which ensures that the state pension rises in line with earnings, or inflation, or 2.5%, whichever is higher, and this time his answer was very different. He said:

"The prime minister has been absolutely committed to the triple lock and we are absolutely committed to maintaining it."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will have to get rid of her and then call an immediate GE with a new leader (the membership has also lost its credibility/legitimacy in these matters having chosen her).

If they try and limp on they will end up with about 30 seats. If they do the above they could salvage 200-240.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two years until an election has to be held. If they think that this is a 'Growth Plan', why would they not want to wait as long as possible for that growth? People really need to calm down and get a bit of perspective.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two years until an election has to be held. If they think that this is a 'Growth Plan', why would they not want to wait as long as possible for that growth? People really need to calm down and get a bit of perspective.
    Yes there are two years until there has to be an election but she is mortally wounded at this point already. She has been elected by a tiny proportion of the country and then has managed to completely fuck it within three weeks. She is the first leader I have seen who hasn't had a popularity boost in the polls after coming in mid-term. But, not only has she not had a boost she's also managed to go spectacularly backwards.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't start a growth plan by tanking the economy. It's all over I'm afraid, much like it was all over for BJ once he was shown to have lied about cheese and wine.

Even if this somehow actually was a genius plan, she doesn't have the communication skills to sell that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Au Contraire, the only way is up when you're bankrupt.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it fails then it fails, and they will lose (but they still won't chuck her beforehand). If it works then the economy will be growing, and, more importantly, she will be able to go into the next election as the person who 'took tough decisions' etc. etc., which could be quite a useful gimmick given her personal awkwardness. Who knows, but we have two years to find out.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody gives a fuck about "the economy". It is an entirely abstract concept for most people in their day-to-day

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what has all the drama this week been about?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the only purpose of news these days is to fuck peoples heads up.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course people care about the economy.

They may not say that's what they care about, but when they care about wages, inflation, mortgages etc. What are they caring about if not the economy?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is the standard, there'll be protests long before she resigns and a Boris may have been able to withstand it but not this fucking virgin.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    If this is the standard, there'll be protests long before she resigns and a Boris may have been able to withstand it but not this fucking virgin.
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/celebri...ring-necklace/

Honestly, it makes more sense than her being smart enough to climb the ranks.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knows, but we have two years to find out.
    We really don’t, or rather she really doesn’t.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s no chance we’re getting an election. They’ll just repeat the old “we got a five year mandate in 2019” line and tell everyone to fuck off. Truss may be dead (I have a feeling she will go the distance to 2024) but the Conservatives aren’t going anywhere til May 2024 at the earliest, I reckon.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly looks like the knives are out: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    There’s no chance we’re getting an election. They’ll just repeat the old “we got a five year mandate in 2019” line and tell everyone to fuck off. Truss may be dead (I have a feeling she will go the distance to 2024) but the Conservatives aren’t going anywhere til May 2024 at the earliest, I reckon.
    Absolutely no chance that their members will be allowed to choose another PM. This is a crisis of credibility for the entire party and the outlook of a vast number of its MPs (unfortunately, since I dislike Labour).

The best they can do is force through some sort of procedural change so that members don't get a say and they can install Sunak or someone who isn't keen to burn the country immediately. One must remember that Truss was 3rd or 4th on the initial MPs' ballot.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 29-09-2022 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tory rep on QT is drowning.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's gonna chin Richard Bacon and rightly so, why the fuck is he on there trying to co-present it?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's done enough cocaine to warrant a seat on the panel.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That definitely happened.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Goblin on QT is something else. What a time to be alive.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And on Corbyn, what we definitely don't need is that shower of shit getting any kudos from this situation. At this point it's Starmer or bust.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    That definitely happened.
    Speaking Spanish yeah right Cuban more like the communist.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jez.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Corbyn's wife Spanish? It's plausible at least.

The main problem with the electorate is the majority are thick. Prior to the mini budget carnage I saw someone saying they were happy with the Stamp Duty announcement as their son was trying to buy his first house. This is the economic illiteracy that votes mong.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watching QT now, lol at the fucking grandad saying 'I'm not convinced by this labour lot' like Truss and Kwarteng aren't about to shred his triple locked pension. Will be eating out of a bin by Christmas blaming Starmer.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one reads anything anymore (beyond 'They're saying...' based on the first two headlines of BBC news phone app) and everyone spends their free time watching Netflix, which is akin to connecting your brain to a Slush Puppy machine and just pumping the blue stuff in there for four hours per evening.

I always think of those people in Wall-E going around the bubble spaceship in fat chairs.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be surprised if they went down the tubes to be honest. But then Lehman was surprising.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pensions not okay yet either?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am slow with economic stuff in general, but why would pension funds be hit by the specific measures taken in the UK this week?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I am slow with economic stuff in general, but why would pension funds be hit by the specific measures taken in the UK this week?
    Decent explanation here:
    https://www.itv.com/news/2022-09-28/...-pension-funds

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd imagine Credit Suisse looks like an interesting buy for one of the European banks.