User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 206 of 261 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256 ... LastLast
Results 10,251 to 10,300 of 13025

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wikipedia has them all along the coast.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that just where everything shit in Britain has been put for 50 years?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably. We're not going to dump it in the middle of populated areas so Seaton Carew will have to do. Whack up a sea wall and you're sorted.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need water for cooling, but people are stupid about it, so they stick them near the coast instead of just next to big rivers like every coal and gas power station.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed it must be a water thing. You can see the big one at Flammanville from here [I remember much bed wetting when it was built about how we were all going to die] but now I think we get most of our power from it/the French grid, which is one of the few things the French seem to have got right over the years.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked up the cabinet having ignored the news all day. Zero white men in the great offices of state is quite clever, until you realise that she's just made Jacob Rees-Mogg the Business Secretary at a time when basically every small business in the country is threatened with cost-induced closure.

Also, why is she persisting with 'Levelling Up'? Easiest possible win to make yourself seem different to the hated Boris, but I guess they are still living under the illusion that Boris was popular.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Isn't that just where everything shit in Britain has been put for 50 years?
    Birmingham is famously the furthest place in the country from the sea. So no.

Edit: granted it wasn't built 50 years ago, but it has only managed to get more shit over the last 50 years, so you can take it as the exception that proves the rule anyway.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 06-09-2022 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at his enormous hands.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You fat handed twat"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Therese Coffee as Health Secretary and deputy PM, a debout catholic nutjob with an addiction to hob nobs is just what the doctor ordered

Also, isn't JRM against using email? Top, top Business Secretary pick

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be hard to beat Boris' final cabinet for incompetence but this one is certainly laying the groundwork.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally think things probably won't be as bad as I fear they will be, but I think they probably will be this time. She's an utter cunt with a cabinet of weirdo's and nobodies. I wonder whether she will achieve war with Russia or EU sanctions first.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see what this PMQ delivers, hopefully much lols.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Can the Prime Minister commit to a 10 year plan to tackle childhood cancers?”
    “Cancer is heartbreaking” *sits down*

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    It will be hard to beat Boris' final cabinet for incompetence but this one is certainly laying the groundwork.
    The recent ones haven't been great, but when did we have these supposedly heavyweight, serious ministries that everyone compares the recent ones to? Maybe the eighties.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get better ones at the start of a party's time in office, as the talent hasn't been churned through yet. Cameron's first squad included (as well as the useless Lib Dems) Osborne, Hague, May, Hammond, Ken Clarke, Gove, Hunt etc which is a different standard to recent setups.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, the effective government of George Osborne and Theresa May. I forgot about all of that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're big beasts, Lewis. Massive, massive beasts.

Kudos to Lord Frost, who is the first ever self-declared Big Beast.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked Ed Balls being known as a 'bruiser' because he was a bit fat.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stamp duty cuts to be announced on Friday? Mon Lizzy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah because the last thing the property market needs is another shot in the arm. That would literally be at the bottom of things to address, but donors gonna donate. No point celebrating saving 5% up front if it's putting 10% on your price which you'll then have to pay interest on for 35 years. It's going to benefit nobody but the slumlords and the inflation figures. All these cuts when we've already got high inflation is risky AF.

But they'll keep telling us about trickle-down economics and the public will continue to nod along with it.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bro, we need to attract the top talent in the banking sector and we most certainly need this measure.

Friday kicks off what should be a real lolathon.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't need that. All we need is a royal 'something' every week and the money will print itself.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite frustrating listening to the NARRATIVE around the bankers bonuses, which is actually a sensible move.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this helps the main people struggling the same way that Rishi cutting VAT on solar panels did.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    All of this helps the main people struggling the same way that Rishi cutting VAT on solar panels did.
    Well yeah, but that’s a separate issue and one the government are being allowed to get away with because once again everyone’s attention is elsewhere, this time on the bankers.

It’s so unbelievably predictable yet ‘we’ fall for it every fucking time.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It's quite frustrating listening to the NARRATIVE around the bankers bonuses, which is actually a sensible move.
    Why is removing the cap on bankers' bonuses a sensible move?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Why is removing the cap on bankers' bonuses a sensible move?
    For several reasons:

'The cap', such as it is/was, seems to be misunderstood as a cap that's fair or reins in what bankers can earn to the level of us mere mortals. I would bet my life that 99%+ of the public would say it was a good thing and then be horrified when you told them that the cap meant that they could only earn 100% of their salary as a bonus or 200% with shareholder approval. So for a start, it doesn't even do what the vast majority of the public think it does.

And what banks couldn't pay in bonus, they just paid in other means, Long Term Incentive Plans or annual share options, so where a banker couldn't get by on 200% of his salary as a bonus it was just made up in other ways. But the crucial thing here is that share based payments are subject to capital gains tax and not income tax, which is far lower, so the overall tax take reduces. And given these guys earn hundreds of grand a year and into millions in some cases, the reduction is huge. Now, that assumes that these people aren't managing their tax affairs in such a way as to avoid some of it, which they clearly will be, but it's so much harder to do that when you're paid through PAYE, which I'd think the vast majority will be as they're all direct employees of these organisations.

There's also the argument that it boosts foreign investment and encourages people to come and work here which in turn boosts growth, which I hold less truck with, but it is human nature to take a lower cash number now than something that might be worth more in the long run, so even if the increased tax take wasn't reason alone (which it is) there's that to consider too.

So all in all it's a sensible thing to do, but the public are driven by the fact it sounds bad on face value and no one in the media seems to be explaining the situation properly. It's like student loans all over again, in that illustrates how innumerate people are and when it comes to numbers how ill prepared they are to actually understand these things. The government will also be loving it, hell they're probably even briefing the media as to what shitty spin to put on it, as once again it's diverting from the things we should be questioning.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first point is irrelevant, what John Pleb thinks it did is neither here nor there when talking about the policy effect.

And the rest seems to be it will i) increase tax receipts and ii) attract the top talent, both of which are more than fair game to dispute in discussing the merits of it.

All in all, the idea that this is one of the main priorities at this time is questionable at best, don't play it down like a mug.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's increasing tax take, probably significantly, it's worth doing, 'we're' the idiots making it a top priority by pissing and moaning about something we don't even understand, because 'we're' too stupid and/or lazy to.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And look, the cap manifestly wasn't working, to the point where it shouldn't even be described as one:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...inancial-crash

Two UK-based asset managers were paid between €38m and €39m, and one merchant banker was paid €64.8m. That banker received fixed pay of €242,000, topped up with a bonus of €64.6m.
    I wasn't paying attention at the time but presumably it was only brought in to placate idiots who were butt hurt about bailing the banks out, as nobody with half a brain would actually think it would lead to bankers being paid less for a sustained period of time.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And in terms of what should be being talked about, I'll give you one for a kick off, we have no staff anymore. Huge swathes of our economy was built on cheap foreign labour and due to a combination of Brexit and Covid, they've fucked off en masse, we have nothing to replace them with and worse still, seemingly not even a plan to attempt to.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should clarify on the share based payment thing in the interests of not spreading misinformation, that they can be subject to income tax, but there are schemes where an employee can pay in a nominal amount and receive shares at a later date which are only subject to capital gains and it'll be this sort of thing or whatever variation banks use that's harming the tax take.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Big Liz can get all of the sugar tax/'anti-obesity' totalitarianism stuff junked under the radar I will hand out leaflets for her at the next election.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These charter zones sound dodgy as fuck.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    These charter zones sound dodgy as fuck.
    They are. Linkedin is awash with begging nonsense for each individual city by BUSINESS LEADERS so you know its disgusting.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now the NI increase has been reversed. This is some fucking dangerous economics if you ask me. Net borrowing every year since 2008...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better this than CHAOS WITH ED MILLIBAND

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this hike the one they were looking to use to fund care/NHS with?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, one step closer to American insurance. Aneurin Bevan turning in his grave.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where has the £100m a day or whatever Brexit was bringing the NHS gone?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacob Rees-Mogg as the business secretary is past my tolerance limit unfortunately.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Where has the £100m a day or whatever Brexit was bringing the NHS gone?
    Probably around about the same place as the fucking easy to sort trade deals we were promised. Or the frictionless trade with the EU.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They pencilled the £350 million a week extra in in 2018. It's just that nobody noticed because it's still shit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard on the radio today and I don't know if it's true but the NHS takes up 44% of what the government spends. That is absolutely fucking crazy and I am someone who thinks there should be an NHS. How in the actual fuck are we spending that much money on it. It's also probably a good indicator of why no money is spent on infrastructure because we are just pissing it up the wall with the NHS.

Someone really needs to have the bollocks to go in and look at it with a 10 to 15 year plan to modernise it and make it better but nobody ever will because they aren't around to see the benefits of the restructuring that obviously needs to be done to fix it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest issue with how money is spent in the NHS as far as I've seen is that everything is split off into separate little budgets. It doesn't matter whether something saves money overall, it only matters if it saves money from the right budget at the right time.

An example I may have mentioned before is the rota in my current job. We cannot fill it sufficiently with the number of people we have, so there are often locum hours available. We do not manage to fill all the locum hours (particularly on nights) which leaves us short staffed semi regularly. The consultant who does our rota has been told to come up with a solution to this, so she rewrote the rota with one additional person. She presented this to management who told her this was not feasible as they could not afford to fund the post. She pointed out that funding the post would be a lot less than we currently spend on locums AND would fill all the gaps rather than just some of them. The response was that it doesn't matter, the locum budget is a different budget. They genuinely told her that the optimum scenario would be to stick with the current arrangement but to manage to fill all the locum gaps, and so spend even more than we currently do.

Absolute nonsenses like this are rife. I myself was told they'd prefer to keep me on a 60% time contract and them pay me locum to do the other 20% worth of shifts rather than move me up to fixed 80%. That is worse for them and better for me in literally every conceivable way, but paying me locum comes from a different budget which we currently don't overspend on as a department. I get paid more to work the same amount and I have flexibility over which locums I take, or if I take any at all. It's nuts that this is deemed their "better" option.

This is true on a bigger scale with things like underfunding preventative medicine and then dealing with the much more expensive consequences which may have been avoided. Or with the separation of social care and NHS budgets, where we end up paying drastically more to care for someone in hospital because there's no funding for them to have the social care they need. People literally sit in acute hospital beds for MONTHS because of disagreements around funding carers coming in a few times a day.

It's all completely mental and broken.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 22-09-2022 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, the NHS is too big of a monster now. I don’t know how you could actually make it tangibly better without having to nuke the entire fucking thing.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought appointing RL's mum as health secretary was bad but seeing James Cleverley at the UN addressing the world is special. We're headed for some nuclear action, boys.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say what you will about nuclear annihilation, but if it stops Gordon Brown getting his hands on the constitution again then roll on.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SDLT changes are meh. Higher rate of income tax abolished though, anyone earning over £150k no longer taxed 45% but down to 40%. BRING ON THAT GROWTH BABY.