User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 126 of 260 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,300 of 12971

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the polling like among the membership?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rory Stewart looks, behaves and sounds like a ventriloquist's puppet.

Apparently he has more twitter followers than the rest of them combined, so there you go.

They're going for Bojo in the hope he can be electorally popular with the non-political class, seeing as they make up a large portion of the electorate. It's a gamble they have to take, some gimpy no mark everyone also hates (like Gove or Hunt) being equally shit with zero personality is hardly going to work any better.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    What's the polling like among the membership?
    I saw one earlier today that had Johnson laughably ahead and then everyone else miles back led, somewhat surprisingly, by Stewart.

The only hope of beating Boris is that enough people hate him for him to lose to a unity candidate, but I'm not sure that'll happen.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I saw one earlier today that had Johnson laughably ahead and then everyone else miles back led, somewhat surprisingly, by Stewart.

The only hope of beating Boris is that enough people hate him for him to lose to a unity candidate, but I'm not sure that'll happen.
    That's probably why then. They'll want to be seen to be backing the winner.

Maybe some others think let him get himself into a Brexit mess and then maybe he'll fuck off after that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is it anything more complex than that there is a certainly type of mongo who thinks he's funny rather than sinister so they're just hoping it'll get them a few votes short term, maybe eat a Brexit bullet for the party and then half of them will be gone anyway so sod the long term, right?
    He has somehow carved out a reputation of being a no-nonsense man of principle that speaks his mind amongst the non-political, rather than the reality of being a self-serving cunt. But, atleast he isn't Jeremy Homeopathy Hunt.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 13-06-2019 at 05:51 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Anyone but Jeremy Hunt.
    "And now over to Downing Street where Prime Minister Jeremy Cunt is about to speak."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably needs to take action like the Lords groundsman (Mike Hunt) did by insisting on a variant of his first name (in his case Michael, had to be Michael) - Jerry Hunt? Could play well in the Brexit belt.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's happened way too many times to too many top level broadcasters to be a casual slip of the tongue. It's definitely used a lot in Westminister circles.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuka Umunna has joined the Liberal Democrats. That's three parties in four months. Wouldn't you be ineligible to play in football?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    It's happened way too many times to too many top level broadcasters to be a casual slip of the tongue. It's definitely used a lot in Westminister circles.
    I think they do it deliberately as well, presumably because they think it's subversive. Nobody ever mixes them up the other way do they.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Francesca Martinez might not ever stop speaking here.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Chuka Umunna has joined the Liberal Democrats. That's three parties in four months. Wouldn't you be ineligible to play in football?
    His former party has also had to change their name after being sued by Change.org

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shitshow though this 'debate' is, Rory Stewart is streets ahead of any of them and should be Prime Minister.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He talks absolute shit, which everybody in any position to point it out would have done so by now were he not a Liberal Democrat.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you a newly converted Johnson fan?

The shit-talkers are:

- anyone talking about 'talking up Britain'
    - anyone talking about non-specific 'renegotiation'

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rory Stewart is Paul Boateng for the modern shit eating muppet. He's an absolute non-entity.

But maybe that's a feature of modern, or perhaps all, politicians.

There's definitely a perception that they're shitter nowadays, but I'm not sure that isn't just halcyon good old days-ism, which is BS in every other sphere of existence, so why not this one. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Boris Johnson is an entity, then I'll take a non-entity.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's the best bet for not losing an immediate general election, but otherwise I've never been a fan. They are all a bit rubbish in various ways, but at least they are nominally right-wing in some areas (usually balanced by being useless in others). Stewart is not. He probably never even thought about what he believes in until a few weeks ago, and then he came up with increasing farm subsidies and keeping post offices open. Brilliant lad.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a good bit about Rory in The Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-boris-johnson

I'm not really sure what the thesis of the piece is, but there are a few good throw away lines in there.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guido seems to be fully RATTLED by Rory Stewart, which is odd given that even if he gets through to final two he will get hammered by Boris.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more that Guido is the only person outside the Telegraph paywall who realises what a fanny he is.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Telegraph leading with a negative Stewart front page, looks like they are RATTLED as well. The sense of entitlement from Team Boris is breathtaking and very reminiscent of the old time Brownites.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But don't you understand Jim? IT'S JUST HIS TIME.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very Hilary Clinton all this.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rory Stewart (despite being a Tory and all the shit that brings with it) is the only person in this debate that is minimally sane.

Boris will lose a confidence vote and then there will be a general election. If he does manage to stumble through and force a no-deal Brexit, the resulting chaos will only be resolved by agreeing to May's deal (or worse) several months later.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main problem I have with Boris is he clearly doesn't believe any of this shit, has no intellectual basis for anything he does, and just blunders through life wishing he was Churchill. He won't have the first clue what to do when he becomes PM and they will lose swathes of seats to LD/Lab forcing probably a stop brexit government.

Would Rory Stewart or similar lose swathes of seats to the Brexit Party? I don't think so, Farage's FPTP record is atrocious and they haven't yet come up against the millions of blue voting robots who aren't there for the locals or Euros, but turn out for the generals.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All any PM needs to do is actually deliver Brexit and they will be lauded. The problem is, I don't think it's actually possible to deliver it. Not when you have to get it through Parliament and the lords. The fuckers have already voted down every conceivable option.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I would love to do is see Corbyn attempt to deliver it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can’t be delivered. Not enough MPs want it to happen.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the idea of Parliament blocking no deal, there seems to be a presumption that once they vote for an extension again, the EU will just grant it. That is far from a foregone conclusion. Macron doesn't want to kick the can again and word is that he is gathering more allies.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that’s the EU just being much better than us at playing the negotiating game as they have been throughout.

I can’t see them being anything other than terrified about us leaving as if another big hitter were to follow suit that’s the whole project dead in the water.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But unlike our idiots who have approached almost everything in this from a sky is falling perspective they’ve just played it cool and had the upper hand throughout.

Have to hand it to them really, they’ve completely schooled us.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has to be an election and the result of it has to be decisive one way or the other. Another hung mess and we're fucked.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how does an election solve anything? The Tories win and we’re likely still in the same boat. Labour win and, well, god only knows.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't solve anything by itself but if you have a majority of 20 or 30, that's much easier to pass something with than if you have 5 and have to appease the DUP.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect what it will do is make an even bigger majority against Brexit.

Don't think Lab can get in without LD/SNP support, which will need a change of leader.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And actually, at this point in time I can’t see how we’ll ever be out of the Article 50 waiting room.

Something will likely change eventually to move things on but at this point I’ve no clue what that something might be.

That we have actual candidates to be PM who claim a revised deal (that will be beneficial to us) can be negotiated and agreed by both sides in 3 to 4 months just illustrates the level of delusion that’s at play here. It’s present on a fucking industrial scale.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I suspect what it will do is make an even bigger majority against Brexit.

Don't think Lab can get in without LD/SNP support, which will need a change of leader.
    Whichever way the numbers stack up it’s just a cycle of shit, with too many MPs (irrespective of how they voted) believing staunchly in honouring the result of the referendum whilst simultaneously not actually wanting to leave.

Which is the perfect recipe for eternally kicking the can down the road.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point the kindest thing the EU could do is refuse another extension. We will just blunder about indefinitely otherwise.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is, but they don’t want us to leave. So the can keeps moving...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prime Minister Farage with a 200 majority would be the lollest of lol endings to all these clever machinations from the don't leave brigade.

You can say they have no ground game, but what's to stop a bunch of the brexit Conservatives (and maybe the Labour ones too) jumping ship in a general election where the main parties do a heel turn on their previous pledges? John Mann for Home Secretary.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    That we have actual candidates to be PM who claim a revised deal (that will be beneficial to us) can be negotiated and agreed by both sides in 3 to 4 months just illustrates the level of delusion that’s at play here. It’s present on a fucking industrial scale.
    I don't think they actually believe that themselves. They're just saying what they think will put them in power.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stewart's 'Citizens' Assembly' will break the deadlock. Okay, we'll ignore it if it recommends no deal or a second referendum; but as long as it backs the withdrawal agreement (and MPs blindly obey its recommendations) then we're home and dry. Thank God he's brought some substance and intellectual heft to the contest, otherwise we'd be stuck.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Prime Minister Farage with a 200 majority would be the lollest of lol endings to all these clever machinations from the don't leave brigade.

You can say they have no ground game, but what's to stop a bunch of the brexit Conservatives (and maybe the Labour ones too) jumping ship in a general election where the main parties do a heel turn on their previous pledges? John Mann for Home Secretary.
    They always struggle once the party machine deserts them. Postal votes too. You shouldn't underestimate how many millions of people go out and vote blue/red as always regardless of any current events, policies or who the candidates are.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    I don't think they actually believe that themselves. They're just saying what they think will put them in power.
    Seeing as they will be forced to do a complete u-turn within weeks, it's a fairly nihilistic stance is it not?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Seeing as they will be forced to do a complete u-turn within weeks, it's a fairly nihilistic stance is it not?
    Probably the only positive thing you can say about Hitler is that he did the shit he said was going to do. He was quite possibly the last politician to do so. Bullshitting your way to power is nothing new.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump has done most of what he said he was going to do in some form.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't built the wall, or made America great again.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Trump has done most of what he said he was going to do in some form.
    That's easy when you change what you say you're going to do on a fortnightly basis.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought he had abused his position to find money for his wall? That and stupid protectionism seemed to be his main concerns during the election, and the latter is well underway.