User Tag List

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 2003

Thread: Health and sickness. A place to moan.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was advised to take 800mg of ibuprofen (four of the tablets you get from the shops; if you have prescription ones they might be 400mg ones so check) or 900mg of aspirin along with a small can of full sugar coke or red bull and an antisickness like domperidone. There's good evidence antisickness tablets are effective in reducing migraine pain even in people who don't get nausea or vomiting. You can add a triptan into the cocktail if you want. 800mg of ibuprofen is above the BNF dose so I can't really recommend it but it works for me.

The risk of medication overuse headache increases depending on the number of days you take medication on, not how many times you take it. So you are better off trying that a couple of times on one day to see if you can break the cycle rather than doing it one day, not working, doing it again the next day, etc.

It's worth keep trying through the preventers as well. I have done propranolol, pizotifen, topiramate, sodium valproate, amitriptyline and candesartan (think that's it); only propranolol was good for me.

As Giggles mentioned there's also the CGRP monoclonals although last time I looked they weren't approved on the NHS (may have changed).

I've also had things like local anaesthetic trigger point injections, and people do Botox and nerve blocks as well. It's all worth giving a go. I think there's even some half decent evidence for acupuncture (lol).
    Last edited by randomlegend; 25-11-2022 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the words of wisdom.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the dog out in the garden this morning, despite knowing it was frosty my brain disengaged and I walked onto the decking, immediately going arse over tit and cracking my back (anti slip decking treatment was a waste of money). Since then I must have farted every 15 minutes

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was diagnosed with SIBO a couple of weeks ago. Nobody seems to really have a clue about gut disorders, and the NHS basically don't recognise it so I had to go private, but it seems a more useful diagnosis than IBS.

The antibiotics that are usually used to treat it are nigh on impossible to get in the UK so the woman I'm seeing has prescribed me some "herbal antimicrobials". They sound absolutely whack but apparently do work though it sounds like they can be quite horrific to be on. I don't really buy it as a solution, it seems like my root issue is poor motility so it'll probably just come back unless that is addressed.

I'm just coming off of about two weeks of glorious relief from symptoms, I was prescribed antibiotics for something unrelated and they basically cured me, but it's pretty much all back now. Going to give the oregano oil a go next.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate at work has a cold water plunge pool from Soul Hub and says he’s felt great ever since using it regularly, and no longer really feels the cold weather. Anyone here into that kind of thing?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What, bullshit?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, daily cold showers. I still get ill so it's not some 100% elixir but the value of it is undoubted.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the mere mention of Wim Hof gives him a semi.

Pretty sure he does daily cold plunges. Dunno if it's related but his skin has gone shocking, but I think that's red wine related.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That name is familiar to me for some reason but I don’t think I’ve ever looked into it.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no such negative side-effects, if you grow the balls for it and sustain it for a month there's no looking back.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complete bollocks imo. Gave it a good go last year (a few months) and nothing noticeable changed.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me thankfully but a fella on a podcast I listen to revealed he suffers from what is essentially continual motion sickness ever since he went on a boat whale watching on his honeymoon, sounds mildly terrifying.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I went offshore to the platform, when I came back onshore it took ten days for the world to stop swaying.

It was absolutely terrifying that it just wouldn’t ever stop and I was googling all sorts. Safe to say my adventures offshore will be much more limited and I have little to no interest in ever going on a boats.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mal de Debarquement Syndrome.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mrs came back from London with a violent bug, spent all weekend in bed, and now inevitably I've picked it up. Bodyaches on day one is a bit much.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably invasive strep A, RIP.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't, the PANIC on Facebook over that is unreal. There's been a few cases in a local school, apparently. Tonsillitis in a school? Whatever next.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Don't, the PANIC on Facebook over that is unreal. There's been a few cases in a local school, apparently. Tonsillitis in a school? Whatever next.
    The public health messaging over it has been insanely irresponsible. Work has gone mental.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Close the schools. Mandatory WFH until further notice.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My missus sent me an email her depute sent out to teachers going on about kids being sent home with it. Honestly thought it was another monkey pox thing until I seen your post and was v confused

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    The public health messaging over it has been insanely irresponsible. Work has gone mental.
    Indeed. Saw this yesterday.

The media are a disgrace for ramping it up like this, but equally, where the fuck have sensible heads gone? This is my favourite though:

Fuck me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    My missus sent me an email her depute sent out to teachers going on about kids being sent home with it. Honestly thought it was another monkey pox thing until I seen your post and was v confused
    It's mental. It's one of the most common winter bugs as far as I'm aware. Tyler-Tyler and Jayden-Kayden are just having a harder time of it this year because they've had their immune systems wrapped in cotton wool for the past 2 years. It normally goes away on its own. At worst needs some antibiotics. We could probably do with a functioning NHS for the rare occasion it does go sideways, but here we are.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is it now though, isn't it? The President of Madagascar has won. We're generationally fucked. Should have just let everyone die in the first one

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The media are a disgrace for ramping it up like this, but equally, where the fuck have sensible heads gone? This is my favourite though:
    It's not just the media, the UKHSA statement on it was ridiculous.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust the science.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook mums are BACK, baby.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Trust the science.
    That is what we should do, yes.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Covid broke things even more than 9/11.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    This is it now though, isn't it? The President of Madagascar has won. We're generationally fucked. Should have just let everyone die in the first one
    It's strange, because we went to a kids birthday party a couple of weeks ago and it was like a festival of lurgy. Coughs, Rosie cheeks and snotty noses all over the shop. So in some respects we're back to normal, but we do also seem to be permanently on the look out for the next disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Covid broke things even more than 9/11.
    Oh yeah, and it's not even close.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    The mrs came back from London with a violent bug, spent all weekend in bed, and now inevitably I've picked it up. Bodyaches on day one is a bit much.
    Day 2: Spent the last seventeen hours in bed. Piss wet through. Drifting in and out of sleep like I've got a Victorian fever. Legs feeling like led pipes. Head all over the place.

One of her colleagues has done the same thing, that is passing whatever the fuck this is (covid?) onto her husband. Poor lads got
    pneumonia.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that for about 24 hours last week. Absolutely awful, spent about 16 hours in bed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Day 2: Spent the last seventeen hours in bed. Piss wet through. Drifting in and out of sleep like I've got a Victorian fever. Legs feeling like led pipes. Head all over the place.

One of her colleagues has done the same thing, that is passing whatever the fuck this is (covid?) onto her husband. Poor lads got
    pneumonia.
    Flu and RSV both seem particularly grim this year. But yeah could also be covid.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been 8 cases of tonsillitis / scarlet fever in my daughters year group and my daughter has been sent home today because she has a cough. School policy is apparently that any suspected cases must stay off school until they're better.

That's how we got here in the first place guys... you know, by stopping kids from getting ill and developing their immune system. Top marks for doubling down though I guess.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every (and I mean every) aisle-end in Asda is packed with Calpol and other kids medicine. Utterly mental.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heads have indeed gone.

The Mrs school was only sure it was opening today, late Sunday evening. Any child with any kind of any of the symptoms is being jettisoned back to their home until they recover.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone I work with has an 8 year old, last week they got Strep A (not the dying kind), this week they have something called 'croup' which sounds like an affliction that would befall you on one of Captain Cook's voyages. Natural immunity hangover from lockdown, surely, all this.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter's been off for two weeks due to some kind of virus, then I got it. Only had a week off though because I'm a double hard bastard.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Someone I work with has an 8 year old, last week they got Strep A (not the dying kind), this week they have something called 'croup' which sounds like an affliction that would befall you on one of Captain Cook's voyages. Natural immunity hangover from lockdown, surely, all this.
    Isn't 'croup' just a really nasty cough? 'Slapcheek' [I think it's actually called roseola or something] another child illness classic.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next pandemic will wipe us all out.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Croup (laryngotracheobronchitis) is inflammation of the larynx (voicebox) +/- trachea (main wind pipe) +/- bronchi (the slightly small windpipes that go into your lungs) secondary to a viral infection.

The inflammation causes narrowing of the airway and causes the characteristic barking cough. Depending on the degree of narrowing, it can also cause stridor which is noisy breathing as the air is forced through the narrowed airway.

It ranges in severity from just a nasty barking cough all the way up to lifethreatening airway obstruction requiring intubation and ventilation in intensive care. People do die of it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also loads of parents are just lying to the schools about their kid having scarlet fever. My wife's school had multiple kids off with it having been told by parents it was "confirmed on CAU" before we had a single confirmed case.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Heads have indeed gone.

The Mrs school was only sure it was opening today, late Sunday evening. Any child with any kind of any of the symptoms is being jettisoned back to their home until they recover.
    Quite literally 8 minutes after this post my phone went with the school ringing me to go and pick one of them up. Temperature, achey and complaining of being unwell.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    'Slapcheek' [I think it's actually called roseola or something] another child illness classic.
    Somehow fatally dangerous to foetus' inside pregnant women, that. As in, kids with slapcheek shouldn't be around pregnant women, eg if they've a preggo teacher.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My little one starts nursery Thursday, and has 2 "settling in" sessions tomorrow and Wednesday, which is basically him just going in for an hour to get used to the people before his first full day. They've just called to cancel the settling in sessions (but not the full days on Thursday and Friday) to "minimise the risk of transmission".

Someone please explain that to me, as they couldn't - other than repeating the line about transmission risk.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mental how schools/nurseries got told to do this for covid and now they've seemingly just taken it upon themselves to do it for this.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are a nation of morons.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sons school seem to be the exact opposite. They want them in unless they’re on their deathbed

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    My little one starts nursery Thursday, and has 2 "settling in" sessions tomorrow and Wednesday, which is basically him just going in for an hour to get used to the people before his first full day. They've just called to cancel the settling in sessions (but not the full days on Thursday and Friday) to "minimise the risk of transmission".

Someone please explain that to me, as they couldn't - other than repeating the line about transmission risk.
    Transmission of what?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scarlet fever/group A strep.